PoE Currency System

Since games were a thing, developers took inspiration from previous games to create new ideas and innovate or make something better.

For example: World of Warcraft took a lot of inspiration from the current small amount of MMOs that were around (Everquest/DAoC/The Realm/Asherons Call/Ultima Online)

Example 2: Path of Exile and Grim Dawn took inspiration from Diablo 2 and other ARPGs but created there own unique experience...

Now, I am completely shocked that not a single MMORPG or ARPG on the horizon has took inspiration from Path of Exiles currency system and how well it works with the overflow of the entire game. Starting at level 1, you can find valuable items. It creates an endless loot hunt feeling, which is FUN.
twitch.tv/rasereiamok
Last bumped on Jan 14, 2019, 2:04:41 PM
nobody copied it cause it's too effective already when it comes to search.

you need an hellofalot complex affix system that would overstrain players of simpler games for it to work like in poe to not having items ending up like uniques in poe which are basically worthless mostly cause they got fixed value ranges and affixes.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
I actually believe Warframe's currency system is much better, tbh.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Not even PoE does PoE's currency all that well though.
Orbs in PoE are two things: crafting components, and currency. PoE does currency remarkably well. Indeed, it's very difficult to come up with a better answer to the question "what can a low-wealth player meaningfully give to the player with the best gear on the server?" than "item rerolls." Indeed, it seems that the great frustration was that these items were so effective as currency that their trade value completely overshadowed their crafting value. While this frustration was to a certain extent a rejection of inescapable reality — e.g. orbs would naturally flow to the best bases with sufficient ilvl, item sell price would always be lower than craft cost (assuming creation method publicly known) — I think an important bit of iterative improvement on the PoE model would be to make the use of currency/crafting-materials on bad bases with insufficient ilvl cheaper per reroll, such that less-than-ideal use was punished (technically, non-rewarded) less severely. Descent was fun to so many in part because economic and time constraints forced these kinds of less-than-ideal uses, giving them a chance to directly participate when, under trade, only those players near the top of the pyramid were ideal users.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Orbs in PoE are two things: crafting components, and currency. PoE does currency remarkably well. Indeed, it's very difficult to come up with a better answer to the question "what can a low-wealth player meaningfully give to the player with the best gear on the server?" than "item rerolls." Indeed, it seems that the great frustration was that these items were so effective as currency that their trade value completely overshadowed their crafting value. While this frustration was to a certain extent a rejection of inescapable reality — e.g. orbs would naturally flow to the best bases with sufficient ilvl, item sell price would always be lower than craft cost (assuming creation method publicly known) — I think an important bit of iterative improvement on the PoE model would be to make the use of currency/crafting-materials on bad bases with insufficient ilvl cheaper per reroll, such that less-than-ideal use was punished (technically, non-rewarded) less severely. Descent was fun to so many in part because economic and time constraints forced these kinds of less-than-ideal uses, giving them a chance to directly participate when, under trade, only those players near the top of the pyramid were ideal users.

This is all very true. In part because crafting almost has to be worse than trade value.

Descent really made me wish for a solo self found game mode with more currency drops. I get all the good reasons it doesn't exist but I do with there was a mode where crafting was reasonably better than not crafting.
"
j33bus wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Spoiler
"
鬼殺し wrote:
This is all very true. In part because crafting almost has to be worse than trade value.
No "almost" to it. As Charan posted, people want to use their Orbs — therefore, if gear isn't priced well below the average crafting cost, it doesn't sell. The only alternatives are vendor or packrat.

Another improvement would be scaling up vendor offers on quality items to raise the minimum price on certain gear. Primarily so the differential between vendoring and selling isn't particularly overwhelming. Of course vendor offer should still be well below average crafting cost, but not to the extent of offering basically nothing at vendor for top gear.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jan 14, 2019, 2:02:52 PM
Well it's almost since if you really got it juuuuust right it could be equal, but since trading sucks that basically makes it impossible.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info