AI can generate portaits indistinguishable from real human faces. what does this mean?

"
erdelyii wrote:
Void Cat:

"If you gaze long into a cat, the cat also gazes into you."

Guess I wasn't the only one who thought the fake humans looked more realistic than the fake cats.

_____

The future is shaping up to be quite interesting indeed.

Not that I'm surprised. I was from the future in a past life, you see.

I blow minds. What do you blow, exile?
____________________________________________________________________________________

- Self-proclaimed king of level 172 budget builds -
"Security token has expired. Please submit the form again."
____________________________________________________________________________________
"
NemoJr wrote:
"
erdelyii wrote:
Void Cat:

"If you gaze long into a cat, the cat also gazes into you."

Guess I wasn't the only one who thought the fake humans looked more realistic than the fake cats.

_____

The future is shaping up to be quite interesting indeed.

Not that I'm surprised. I was from the future in a past life, you see.

I blow minds. What do you blow, exile?

Clearly you and I are the ones with the correct priorities in this thread, NemoJr.

So glad you appreciate the joys of Void Cat.

Notice there were no artificial (or otherwise) cats in Bladerunner.

Coincidence? I think not.

What do I blow? Well, looking for a clever response I googled images of blue caterpiller, coke, bubbles, smoke rings and got distracted - and in awe (had no idea that) Volcanos blow smoke rings

"
erdelyii wrote:

I thought volcanoes were the "embodiment of nature's fury"... or some shit.

That's chill af, what the hell.

Just remembered there's been a disaster in Indonesia (tsunami caused by a volcano eruption). I was going to make more lame jokes about sentient AIs and robot cats and whatnot (possibly even drive the 'exile' joke into the ground), but I lost my train of thought. Perhaps some other day.

Sorry to be a bummer.

"
NemoJr wrote:

I thought volcanoes were the "embodiment of nature's fury"... or some shit.

That's chill af, what the hell.

Just remembered there's been a disaster in Indonesia (tsunami caused by a volcano eruption). I was going to make more lame jokes about sentient AIs and robot cats and whatnot (possibly even drive the 'exile' joke into the ground), but I lost my train of thought. Perhaps some other day.

Sorry to be a bummer.

Not at all. Never apologise for being a decent human being.

Just looked online. The footage of the band performing and then the wave certainly dampens the joking around. Those poor bastards in Indo look like they got no real warning, even after the Boxing Day 2004 disaster. Krakatoa, eh?

That's awful timing on my part, and strange.
Certainly not about me, at any rate.

SMH.

"
erdelyii wrote:
The footage of the band performing and then the wave

Yeah saw it on the news. Felt unreal.

"
erdelyii wrote:
That's awful timing on my part, and strange.

Nature being nature -- can't be helped. Besides, by the time I finish making this post, ~50 people will have died around the planet. The number is an ass-pull, but the point stands.

_____

In an effort to salvage the mood:

I just had a smoke while listening to 'fighting cat' sounds followed by 'naughty cat' sounds.

There's a metaphor in there about how humanity actively tries to kill itself, while nature simply does not give a fuck.

Nope, still being a bummer. Today's not my day I guess.

"
NemoJr wrote:

Nature being nature -- can't be helped. Besides, by the time I finish making this post, ~50 people will have died around the planet. The number is an ass-pull, but the point stands.

_____

In an effort to salvage the mood:

I just had a smoke while listening to 'fighting cat' sounds followed by 'naughty cat' sounds.

There's a metaphor in there about how humanity actively tries to kill itself, while nature simply does not give a fuck.

Nope, still being a bummer. Today's not my day I guess.

What are these fighting and naughty cat sounds?

You made me think of the last paragraph of the Outsider.

Always loved that very last paragraph.

As for mood, eh. It is what it is and might be different already.

Thanks for the essay (short story?), looking forward to reading the whole thing.

"
erdelyii wrote:
What are these fighting and naughty cat sounds?

It was the middle of the night, and the 'listening' on my part was involuntary. I'll leave the rest to your imagination.

Fucking. The cats were fucking. And the fighting was foreplay... I hope.

"In other news: Security experts predict DNA based authentication and identification systems may become mandatory sooner than you think, as the government tries to address the growing concerns of the population following the incident last month. More at 11."

"
NemoJr wrote:
Thanks for the essay (short story?), looking forward to reading the whole thing.

It's a short story. I didn't think you might read the whole thing, but it makes sense you might want to after reading the last paragraph. Curious what you make of it.

This topic reminds me that it'd be interesting to visit someone like David G Zacharias, MD. Hm, no, maybe this guy more the thing.

"
NemoJr wrote:

It was the middle of the night, and the 'listening' on my part was involuntary. I'll leave the rest to your imagination.

Fucking. The cats were fucking. And the fighting was foreplay... I hope.

Oh! Now I get it. Was imagining a sound file, ambient cat noises. Hahaha. Right! Why we end up at animals mating again I have no idea however it bears saying that female cats do not have a fun time of it. Warning, it's quite detailed and close up about the mechanism of the pain.

Speaking of night sounds and getting off the mating vein

round here night sounds can be downright scary.

"
NemoJr wrote:

"In other news: Security experts predict DNA based authentication and identification systems may become mandatory sooner than you think, as the government tries to address the growing concerns of the population following the incident last month. More at 11."

What incident?

Cynicism says that this is awfully convenient for the security experts, and that concern isn't exactly people saying "please keep my DNA on file".

"
erdelyii wrote:
female cats do not have a fun time of it. Warning, it's quite detailed and close up about the mechanism of the pain.

I'm not squeamish, so it was more surprising than disturbing.

Didn't expect cats to have 'claws' there (I only took care of a neutered female cat, you see).

Reminded me of this:

There's more if you wanna have some fun.

"
erdelyii wrote:

I don't know how many successful horror works come out of Australia per year, but I think it's safe to say there should be more.

Atmospheric horror in particular, like the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games. If Ukrainians can make being chased by dogs so fucking scary in a video game, I shudder to think what you guys could manage. Certainly no lack of source material.

I'm guessing the environmental lore of Wraeclast practically wrote itself.

"
erdelyii wrote:
What incident?

Oh, sorry, that's my bad. Messed up the timelines again. It hasn't happened yet.

#timetravelerproblems

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info