Anger

"
Universalis wrote:
i use anger on marauder but the dmg is really low... :(

Anger adds about 2k dps to my Witch.Weapon Elemental Damage support gem does wonders!
To crit or not to crit ?
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Gubert wrote:
does it work with spells? because obviously you wouldn't write there "adds to your physical attacks" to make it clear, you have to confuse everyone in every description
It does explicitly say on the gem and the skill that it adds damage to attacks.

I'm sure it does. But honestly you guys seem to have some secret squirrel dictionary that you use which clarifies this stuff. Honestly, as a semi-new player I still have little idea what affects what. I go to the forums for that information. The skill text I find to be hopelessly useless.

In this specific case when did it become true that throwing a fireball at someone didn't constitute an "attack"? The monsters certainly seem to take some fair degree of umbrage to getting "not-attacked" by a spell.

OOC, is this dictionary published somewhere that allows one to decode the descriptive text?
I don't trade. I don't group. My comments reflect that.
wierd duplicate post?
I don't trade. I don't group. My comments reflect that.
Last edited by snapple99 on Aug 4, 2013, 6:42:09 PM
"
snapple99 wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Gubert wrote:
does it work with spells? because obviously you wouldn't write there "adds to your physical attacks" to make it clear, you have to confuse everyone in every description
It does explicitly say on the gem and the skill that it adds damage to attacks.

I'm sure it does. But honestly you guys seem to have some secret squirrel dictionary that you use which clarifies this stuff. Honestly, as a semi-new player I still have little idea what affects what. I go to the forums for that information. The skill text I find to be hopelessly useless.

In this specific case when did it become true that throwing a fireball at someone didn't constitute an "attack"? The monsters certainly seem to take some fair degree of umbrage to getting "not-attacked" by a spell.

OOC, is this dictionary published somewhere that allows one to decode the descriptive text?
Spells and Attacks being separate is standard in most games of this type, notably Diablo II, which of course the founders of GGG played and enjoyed a lot. Not having that distinction would confuse a decent percentage of our target audience.
I think the problem is that PoE uses 'physical' damage to be mean non-elemental damage, rather than non-magical damage.

It would be a lot easier if what PoE calls 'attack damage' was called 'physical damage', and 'spell damage' was called 'magic damage'.

Then you'd need a new word for what PoE calls physical damage now, though. Like, 'neutral' damage, or 'non-elemental' damage.

So a generic weapon would deal 50% neutral damage with glacial hammer, and 50% ice damage. This would all be 'physical' damage, meaning not magical.

Meanwhile, EK would deal neutral magic damage. And ice nova would deal ice magic damage.

Then both could be called 'attacks' without worrying. You'd have magic attacks, and physical attacks, and it would be pretty unambiguous. (And some weird skills like bear trap that were neither.)

---
(Of course, you can't change it now, since it would confuse everyone who is already used to the current definition of 'physical'.)
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
"
dudiobugtron wrote:
I think the problem is that PoE uses 'physical' damage to be mean non-elemental damage, rather than non-magical damage.

It would be a lot easier if what PoE calls 'attack damage' was called 'physical damage', and 'spell damage' was called 'magic damage'.

Then you'd need a new word for what PoE calls physical damage now, though. Like, 'neutral' damage, or 'non-elemental' damage.

So a generic weapon would deal 50% neutral damage with glacial hammer, and 50% ice damage. This would all be 'physical' damage, meaning not magical.

Meanwhile, EK would deal neutral magic damage. And ice nova would deal ice magic damage.

Then both could be called 'attacks' without worrying. You'd have magic attacks, and physical attacks, and it would be pretty unambiguous. (And some weird skills like bear trap that were neither.)

---
(Of course, you can't change it now, since it would confuse everyone who is already used to the current definition of 'physical'.)

I think its MUCH easier to understand the way it is now.

spells vs attacks. both can be physical, elemental or chaos
If you don't know the difference between spell and attack already then it is something you normally have to read up on once.

I don't know where the problem is if you have to read up a bit.
“Demons run when a good man goes to war"
Actually I find that POE's in-game descriptions are really helpful. For example, hovering over ANY SKILL in the game will list exactly what 'type(s)' it is. For example, Freezing Pulse will list "Spell", "Cold", "Projectile". Whereas Glacial Hammer will list "Attack", "Cold", "Melee". They use the exact same wording in the descriptions of aura's, items, and skills.

Sure, there are some things that are not inherently obvious. One example is that since Freezing Pulse always pierces, it cannot be affected by things like Chain or Fork. But that's what the forums are for. If they tried to include every little bit of niche info. in the game, it'd not only be cluttery, but (IMO) it'd also take some part of the fun aspect out of the game.
"
dudiobugtron wrote:

There's no such thing as magical damage. Damage types are about what the target feels and how they can mitigate the damage (after all, it is the target that takes damage), not how the aggressor created that effect. If it feels like being smacked by something sharp or heavy, it's physical damage. An Ethereal Knife feels just the same to the target as a real knife.

It's exactly the same in the Diablo series, Torchlight series and so on - damage type has nothing to do with whether you are casting a spell or swinging a sword.
anger give you fire damage on weapon

the passive boost this fire damage are

1. elemental damage (help any elemental thing, weapon/spell/convert phy to cold..)

2. weapon elemental damage (no spell)

3. add fire damage (add spell and weapon fire damage)

4. inner force 21%
(aura give 100 fire damage to party, but you have 121 fire damage)

the passive won't help fire damage on weapon

1. spell damage (very begin of witch tree)

2. non, that's all
Last edited by dieagain20111 on Aug 21, 2013, 10:21:32 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info