[3.8] FreezeFinder - (Retro) [Blade Vortex + Vaal Cold snap] - [All Content]

"
_clockwork_ wrote:
Thanks for working hard on this guide! I'll definitely try this at some point during 3.5. Probably not a league starter though yeah? Also, Does anything change with the new cold DoT skills?

It's a Solid starter, I have covered the new Bonechill Gem in the gearing section and explained all choices in the reasoning section.
You're welcome, hope you have fun with it.
Last edited by mfeeney87 on Dec 6, 2018, 7:05:51 PM
Me again.

I need some explanations about how pen works and why we take cold pen gem. With wise oak, pandemonious and the tree we get a respectable amount of cold penetration that has really good uptime. That is more than enought to take care of the 40% res that bosses have and since pen can't go int the negative i really don't see a need for the cold pen gem.They only scenario i see it being good is for EE maps.

Enlighten me good sir.
"
Me again.

I need some explanations about how pen works and why we take cold pen gem. With wise oak, pandemonious and the tree we get a respectable amount of cold penetration that has really good uptime. That is more than enought to take care of the 40% res that bosses have and since pen can't go int the negative i really don't see a need for the cold pen gem.They only scenario i see it being good is for EE maps.

Enlighten me good sir.

Penetration is applied AFTER the mobs resistance is calculated.

If the enemy has overcapped resistance such as packs with aura stacks in deeper delves, lowering the resistance with a flat reduction such as Frost Bomb + Curse + Helm debuff will subtract from that overcapped amount. Penetration will subtract from the actual value of resistance after a Flat reduction.

because we convert 90% of our damage to cold, it's vitally important to destry as much resistance to it as possible for 2 reasons.

1. On the targets where damage actually matters such as Shaper, Uber Elder, and deep delve mobs, Cold Penetration Gem is the highest DPS increase in a 6 link.

2. On poor map mods / Delve mods it keeps oure chill and Freeze consistant.

There may be an argument that if you are running a Cold penetration Hatred watchers there are 2 other gem options, neither of which I like instead of Cold penetration.

Elemental Focus - Hard no, no freeze, no Chill and we have to swap out the Hypothermia gem which is one of our most powerful multipliers.

Efficacy - Solid gem for BV, and will come out at higher DPS than cold pen on low resist targets such as normal monsters and maybe even map bosses.

Hwoever these are both blue gems and would require a 4 blue socket offcolour on a high dex chestpiece, whilst still being fundamentally lower DPS options on the targets that actually matter.

Penetration has reached its point of diminishing returns for me,as With my current gear a spell penetration watchers eye is stricly worse than the +% cold damage, and +cold to spells varient.

Hope that helps explain my choice.
Hi, great guide! Thanks for sharing. I only ever played one BV build before which must've been like 2 or 3 years ago. Looking to give this a go for Betrayal.

Do you think this part of the patch notes spells trouble for the endgame dps?
"
The Shaper weapon mods which cause you to gain a portion of Physical Damage as Extra Cold, Fire, or Lightning Damage, or Extra Damage of a random Element, grant half as much Extra Damage

I reckon there still won't really be any options challenging shaped dagger/sceptre for main hand?

Last edited by Anderherz on Dec 6, 2018, 4:35:13 PM
"
Anderherz wrote:
Hi, great guide! Thanks for sharing. I only ever played one BV build before which must've been like 2 or 3 years ago. Looking to give this a go for Betrayal.

Do you think this part of the patch notes spells trouble for the endgame dps?
"
The Shaper weapon mods which cause you to gain a portion of Physical Damage as Extra Cold, Fire, or Lightning Damage, or Extra Damage of a random Element, grant half as much Extra Damage

I reckon there still won't really be any options challenging shaped dagger/sceptre for main hand?

Possibly, I think it's worth investigating, but the damage loss has already been immediately offset by the Bonechill spport, which is quite frankly INSANE for this build.
I Will be keeeping a close eye to look for alternatives and update accordingly.

In my PoB I'm urrently I'm at 1.345KK shaper DPS, even swapping back to a Doryani's Catalyst with 95% roll takes me 1.131KK so with the nerfs it could be a real contender.
It also has the advantage of elemental proliferation which is why CoH + Herald are socketed into the weapon slot.
It also comes with spell leech too allowing you to run no regen maps very consistantly, and cast speed.
I actually played 90% of the league with a Doryani's Catalyst.
Last edited by mfeeney87 on Dec 6, 2018, 4:46:54 PM
"
Possibly, I think it's worth investigating, but the damage loss has already been immediately offset by the Bonechill spport, which is quite frankly INSANE for this build.

In my PoB I'm urrently I'm at 1.345KK shaper DPS, even swapping back to a Doryani's Catalyst with 95% roll takes me 1.131KK so with the nerfs it could be a real contender.
It also has the advantage of elemental proliferation which is why CoH + Herald are socketed into the weapon slot.
It also comes with spell leech too allowing you to run no regen maps very consistantly, and cast speed.

Very interesting regarding Doryani's dps. And you're right about Bonechill ofc, up to 40% more dmg* against chilled enemies afaik? Excited to play this, thanks again for the guide :)

*this more multiplier I apparently got from an outdated version of the bonechill gem that was floating around reddit before it was made into what we can see here
Last edited by Anderherz on Dec 7, 2018, 1:28:14 PM
"
Anderherz wrote:
"

Very interesting regarding Doryani's dps. And you're right about Bonechill ofc, up to 40% more dmg against chilled enemies afaik? Excited to play this, thanks again for the guide :)

The damage multiplier is further scaled by '%Increase effect of chill', of which Cold snap has 19%, and we take 35% from tree.........

And you are very welcome, let me know how you get on or if you run into any issues.
Last edited by mfeeney87 on Dec 6, 2018, 5:03:37 PM
Your pastebin says you got 95% movement speed ,how did you get that? is that your ms in ho,without any buffs ? Nice guide btw,cheers
"
GlacialSpike wrote:
Your pastebin says you got 95% movement speed ,how did you get that? is that your ms in ho,without any buffs ? Nice guide btw,cheers

That will be an inaccuracy, it's 46%, PoB was calculating Phase Run.
I have updated the PoB with Phase run unchecked.

However phase run has great interactions with the frenzy charge generation from cold snap and I use it extensively to run between packs.

You can also charge a fucll stack of BV and phase run through everything without losing the buff as long as you dont shield charge.
I am trying this as my league build.

I would only suggest, to add gem and links part, because you'll get hundred questions after the start of the league without it :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info