Is the name Betrayal throwing shade at Blizzard?

Heard that word thrown around a lot on r/diablo recently.
Last bumped on Nov 15, 2018, 1:39:19 AM
Likely
Maybe

50/50 EE
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
Now consider that the league is about fighting Immortal syndicate :D
The coincidence is uncanny, to say the least, but I'm sure it's just that, a coincidence. All art and sound assets were surely made long before D:I announcement.
If they are then that would be ghetto
"I've played a lot of videogames. It's my primary recreational activity. Best games ever: Elden Ring and Diablo 4."
~Elon Musk, 2023
Forsaken Masters?? Does that refer to how we've been forsaken by Blizzard? Abyss, is that where Blizzard's Youtube likes went??

Gamers would say this stuff about any vaguely ominous or combative term, which is a pretty big chunk of potential names when the game is about fighting evil monsters.
Maybe it was just an homage to someone's favourite TV show
Chris has outright stated that the Immortal Syndicate was set stone due to recording voice actors saying it well before Blizcon. He also stated that Betrayal was also decided well before the news of Diablo Immortal, but amusingly, they were also strongly considering Path of Exile: Immortal for the name of the league, and it's mainly just luck that they went with Betrayal instead. It constantly amuses me to think of the universe where GGG did follow up the blizconn announce with an announce for POE: Immortal and wonder how that would have played out instead, or if that would have been a big enough deal for GGG to scramble and delay to re-do assets to avoid it.
Last edited by GoldDragon32 on Nov 14, 2018, 11:47:58 PM
All the diablo stuff happened way too recently for Betrayal league to be a shot at it... hell, the press tour for this league should have happened before the blizzard announcement iirc, it'd be really unlikely that any major things like the league name or antagonists' titles would be changed after that point.

Besides, while it's definitely the forte of gamers to be petty and rejoice in the shortcomings of rival games, it's not something GGG would do, especially in such an overt fashion... it's not exactly a professional look.

It's just coincidence. Hilarious, hilarious coincidence.
Last edited by Shppy on Nov 15, 2018, 1:26:51 AM
This is just another example of multiple people catching an idea out of the wind in the same time frame. It's like an idea is metaphysically spawned into the universe and it's up to us to be the first person to latch onto and develop it.

Either that or Blizz has someone in POE's camp, or GGG has a mole positioned in Irvine.

Which brings up a bevy of questions about playdiablo4.com and why it redirects to POE.... verrrrry interrresting.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info