D3 Exile here with a few questions....

Hi PoE people, I was wondering if it is a good idea to start in Delve league this late in the game. I hear it is ending within the first week of December, so I am thinking I should stick to standard play. I thought I would ask around though to see what everyone thought.

Yeah, I am a Diablo III player, I like many games, but D3 has become quite irritating lately, especially after that Blizzcon fiasco. I have been playing PoE for this past week and am getting sorta familiar with the passive tree, and I think I understand the skill gems quite well enough for a fresh newbie. Kinda reminds me of Final Fantasy VII and its materia system.

I have to admit, I tried Path of Exile a couple years ago and didn't like it, I can't even remember why, I just stopped playing it and haven't looked at it again til now. Now I regret not giving it a fair chance when I first tried it. Believe me when I say I am actually enjoying how complex this game is, it forces you to think and plan ahead. D3 is just a mindless game at this point, which is fine when you just want to bash demons, but fleshing out a good build, well, that is apples and oranges when you compare this game to that one.

I think I read somewhere that going for pure damage in the passive tree is a bad idea, you also need to buff life and other defensive passives. I have a Ranger going currently and I am wondering if there are some highly important stats to increase beside just plain Dexterity. Seems to me you would want some evasion, while not neglecting a few of the damage passives. I want to stay away from straight Dex if I can in favor of punching up my defensive ability.

If anyone can help then please, help!
Last bumped on Nov 12, 2018, 5:37:49 AM
i would just play standard and get through the 10 acts and maybe low maps...delve is nothing special and will probably be added to the core game anyway. ranger is probably not a good first character choice,i would go with another class.
Welcome!

You can play Delve - doesn't really matter as your character will be transfered to standard with ur stash after the league ends so no losses there.

Just try to play along and see what you are struggling with and on 7th of December you are set to play the new league.

Path of Exile can be challenging, but it can be a super braindead game as well. Follow build - clear map in 30 seconds. BUT! it depends on your playstyle, which is nice. I took it slow and found it very rewarding.

If you love theorycrafting this is your game.

And yes pure damage on the tree is bad. If you have a Life based build you need around 150% increased life around Level 75 (for softcore). Energy Shield around 250% with Intelligence bonus. Also you want multiple layers of defense. Like evasion and dodge, evasion and block or life leech dodge and evasion. Use buildplanners to plan your tree. Doesn't need to be Path of Building at the start. https://poeplanner.com/ for example is fine for starters. Just google what suits you most.

Have fun!
Welcome to PoE.

You could simply start in Delve, as all your items and characters will go to standard once the league ends.

For rangers: Go for high movement speed and a movement skill(to avoid stuff), and personally I like going evasion gear + acrobatics and all the nodes behind it. Combine that with an ascendancy that gives you dodge/evasion chance and it will become hard to die. So even if you do mess up and take a big hit, there is a chance it will miss. Everything else go for damage.

Another advice, always make sure your elemental resistances are 75%.

Goodluck!
Last edited by sarannah101 on Nov 11, 2018, 5:09:49 AM
I'd go for Delve, try to play through the first 10 acts. Your first character will struggle, but that's for everyone. Got to start somewhere ! By the time the next league starts you will be a bit more familiar with the game. Certainly worth it.
Doesn't matter. At this point you're building skills needed to play ANY build. This game is far more skilled based than you're used to. You have to learn to move and to avoid taking damage. You have to learn to use potions... offensively and defensively. You have to get the lay of the land (learn to predict encounters) so you have the initiative in combat.

You don't just pick a character and play like you did in D3.
Doing Delve costs you nothing, and it's fun. All your stuff/progress/characters will go to standard when the league completes. Standard doesn't offer Delve and you might as well start learning it now since it's likely going to be integrated into the core game.
i would start in delve personally. its all going to transfer to standard at the end anyway. and density of other players will be higher. if you want to trade for low end items to get you started, delve will be easier to do so. in standard low end trades are hard to find.
Thanks everyone for the advice. Seems most of you say to try Delve, so i may give it a shot. You are right, I don't really have anything to lose going right into the league play :).

Please consider getting increased maximum life passive nodes. Id say aim at atleast 160% increased maximum life at lv 80+ from your tree alone.
You also might want get Path Of Building and search for an item filter or write one yourself.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info