Can we get a new server host for Latin America? 12 Countries will apriciate it

Hi, I'm from Chile and I've been having alot of problems with the latency on the Sao Paulo servers. Yes, specificaly with the Sao Paulo servers, even so that it's better for me to connect to Washington than to sao paulo right now (Sao Paulo has 180 ms and Washington 140 ms), something that I find quite strange if I take into account the distance difference between me and both servers.

It's been quite a while (actually I dont remember when it when this has not been the case) that the brazilian servers have been quite disapointing on their performance. I dont really know how they work for brazilians themselves, but it has been always the case that they work quite badly for the rest of latin america. One example for this is the servers on Overwatch.

I have some years playing this game, and I love Path of Exile, but this is getting tiring, and I dont think that I'm completely alone on this (maybe Latin America isnt where the most players come from, but the connection issues maybe have something to do with it).

Thanks anyway for reading this.
Last bumped on Sep 26, 2018, 3:06:55 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Unfortunately, solving this issue is something entirely out of GGG's hands.

The reason is that GGG actually doesn't own any of their servers. They contract through IBM Cloud (formerly SoftLayer) to provide all hosting services for the game: all gateways are hosted on the IBM Cloud Network.

Unfortunately, IBM Cloud only has one datacenter in South America, being the Sao Paulo location. The next closest would be Querétaro, Mexico.

You can see their whole map here. (note that some locations are only "CMS data centers," which CANNOT be adapted to run stuff like PoE, only major existing cloud business programs like SAP)

So I do agree, and I think even GGG agrees, that the game could use some better server coverage. However, through their contract with IBM, the list of available new locations isn't too great. This came up earlier, I remember, given the poor choices for anyone living in the middle east, who have to resort to an EU server.

Granted, there -is- the POSSIBILITY of a server outside of IBM Cloud; after all, the Moscow Gateway exists, but that's an anomaly due to, as I understand, GGG having use of a Garena server due to a negotiated departure of Garena from running Path of Exile, and likely isn't representative of anything that could ACTUALLY be done for expansion now.
Rufalius, hybrid Aura/Arc/Mana Guardian | Hemorae, TS Raider | Wuru, Ele Hit Wand Trickster
Last edited by ACGIFT on Sep 26, 2018, 12:33:04 AM
They have already moved the servers to a different physical location to try and avoid the general internet shit show of that area, it worked for a bit, they could move it again and again and again it WILL not make a blind bit of difference who they use or where it is.
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Last edited by lagwin1980 on Sep 26, 2018, 4:33:04 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info