MF gear on bosses

Hey i wonder if MF gear (increased item quantity and increased item rarity) applies to boss kills.

In theory it should, but it would be quite easy to cheat the system. For example bringing Shaper down to 5% with the main gear, after that swapping MF gear and enjoy the full bonus for the kill.

Also I know there are some exceptions where MF gear doesn't work, like chests/breakable and map drops.

I tried to find something regarding this topic, but nobody seems specifically talk about bosses. Also asked the global chat, some people say it applies other say it wont.
Last bumped on Sep 24, 2018, 6:48:17 PM
It works just fine, and the setup you mention has been quite popular in the past. (Usually in combination with Culling Strike, so you don't need to deal any relevant damage with MF gear on.)

The problem is that in the current PoE it is simply not worth it in most cases. Generic rare/unique drops account for a minimal share of the boss's loot value. You care about the boss-specific drops such as fragments or guaranteed unique drops, which IIQ/R has no effect on - since you always get one and exactly one.
Last edited by Abdiel_Kavash on Sep 24, 2018, 9:09:28 AM
"
Abdiel_Kavash wrote:
It works just fine, and the setup you mention has been quite popular in the past. (Usually in combination with Culling Strike, so you don't need to deal any relevant damage with MF gear on.)

The problem is that in the current PoE it is simply not worth it in most cases. Generic rare/unique drops account for a minimal share of the boss's loot value. You care about the boss-specific drops such as fragments or guaranteed unique drops, which IIQ/R has no effect on - since you always get one and exactly one.

Thanks for the answer, so there are two loot pools on bosses, random stuff where MF applies and boss specific where MF wont apply.

So finally I can know what I get for using MF on bosses.

Thanks again and good luck
It's not quite a "pool". Take the Shaper, for example. He drops a bunch of regular loot just like any other boss. This whole pile is affected by IIQ/R. In addition to this, he drops one of his specific items:

Dying Sun
Shaper's Touch
Voidwalker
Starforge

He always drops exactly one of these items, so IIQ will not help you with them (no, you won't get two with over 100% IIQ). The items all happen to be unique, so IIR has no effect either.

Don't think of it as two separate big pools of items. It's just regular drop like any other monster (affected by IIQ/R), plus one extra special item that is fixed.
Last edited by Abdiel_Kavash on Sep 24, 2018, 10:32:49 AM
"
"
Abdiel_Kavash wrote:

Thanks for the answer, so there are two loot pools on bosses, random stuff where MF applies and boss specific where MF wont apply.

Yes, except this is only the case for bosses with specific drops, for all other bosses they only have 1 loot pool. Back in the day this used to be quite popular having a MF/culler in a group for the kill shots, however more and more people started thinking just killing trash in mass is better off than most bosses in game.
IGN:Axe_Crazy
"
MasterAxe wrote:
"
"
Abdiel_Kavash wrote:

Yes, except this is only the case for bosses with specific drops, for all other bosses they only have 1 loot pool. Back in the day this used to be quite popular having a MF/culler in a group for the kill shots, however more and more people started thinking just killing trash in mass is better off than most bosses in game.

In memories of dom / piety runs :'(

Back to OP:

As explained it doesn't worth much to make an alt character dedicated to bosses anymore.
However, playing with few IIR / IIQ and a culling setup in maps when you are grouping with your friends can increase by far benefits ( for the whole group if you share profits ).

Often the group already has enough DPS shared on half party members and can obliterate any monsters in any maps tiers at lightspeed sooo nothing to worry about on that part :)

Anyway feel free to try and adjust by yourself, have a good game.
Hf :)
"
MasterAxe wrote:
Back in the day this used to be quite popular having a MF/culler in a group for the kill shots, however more and more people started thinking just killing trash in mass is better off than most bosses in game.

In D2 boss farming was the norm aside from one area in act 1 as far as I remember - loot potential was just too low out of the regular mobs.

In PoE Bosses are often not worth the time/effort/risk in comparison. Clearing waves en masse essentially buys more drop chances than boss runs, at least now.
Yep, totally over league play.
If it take you 15% longer to get 10% more stuff... you're not doing it right.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info