Life Gain on Hit support gem Question

I just came into possession of a Life Gain on Hit support gem. I tried to use it with my Tempest shield gem and there was no apparent synergy.

I also tried using it with my molten shell, with no results.

I assume this is working as intended but I'm curious, is there an easy way to tell what gems work with what skills.

Should my "Added lightning damage" work with my tempest shield? I'm doing a tanky build focused on molten shell and tempest shield, and having gain life on hit with the shield would be amazing!

There are small letters on right side of skill icons.
They tell you which support gems already synergy with your skills. If you link skill gem with support gem and there doesn't appears any letter - there isn't any synergy between gems.
Last edited by Skelecross on Mar 13, 2012, 6:14:01 PM
"
Hive wrote:
I just came into possession of a Life Gain on Hit support gem. I tried to use it with my Tempest shield gem and there was no apparent synergy.

I also tried using it with my molten shell, with no results.
Both those skills are spells. The life gain on hit support only works with attacks - it says this in the item popup.

"
Hive wrote:
I assume this is working as intended but I'm curious, is there an easy way to tell what gems work with what skills.
Generally paying close attention to how they're labeled is enough, but if a gem is linked to a support that actually works with it, then the skill icon for that skill will have a small letter on it indicating that support - if the letter doesn't appear for a particular support/skill combination, they don't work together.
EDIT: Beaten by Skelecross, who even has a nice picture.

"
Hive wrote:
Should my "Added lightning damage" work with my tempest shield? I'm doing a tanky build focused on molten shell and tempest shield, and having gain life on hit with the shield would be amazing!
Did you mean life gain on hit rather than added lightning damage here?
Life gain on hit should not work with Tempest Shield, because it's not an attack.
Added Lightning damage will work with it.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Did you mean life gain on hit rather than added lightning damage here?
Life gain on hit should not work with Tempest Shield, because it's not an attack.
Added Lightning damage will work with it.

Oops, yes I did.

Thanks for the extremely helpful posts. Somehow I managed to not notice those letters on the skills lol.
Life gain on hit works with minion spells as well since your minions are actually attacking.
All skills need labels like Attack, Spell, Buff, and so on. All support gems need to specify which skills they work with, in terms of those labels. It's not enough to work this information into the description, and the lettered icons aren't useful when you're making choices about which gems to buy or choose in quests.

While I'm on the subject, gem tooltips should state which attributes they require and in which ratios, even at level 1.
The Amazon Basin: A Community of Friends Playing Games

http://www.theamazonbasin.com
"
OnmyojiOmn wrote:
All skills need labels like Attack, Spell, Buff, and so on. All support gems need to specify which skills they work with, in terms of those labels. It's not enough to work this information into the description, and the lettered icons aren't useful when you're making choices about which gems to buy or choose in quests.

It isn't easy to make clarify labels for that. Some skills can't be easy categorized.

For example:

RAISE SPECTRE with MULTIPLE PROJECTILE

There is synergy between this two gems, but only when you raise spectre of ranged/magic type mobs.

If you make RANGED label for RAISE SPECTRE gem, some "intelligent" players will think so this work with all spectres.
Last edited by Skelecross on Mar 14, 2012, 5:03:47 AM
Why shouldn't Life gain support with with magic attacks?

gem doesn't say "physical damage" only

mana leech already doesn't work on magic attack either.

when i cast fireball etc and hit a monster i should get life bonus with support gem imo
"
laz000 wrote:

when i cast fireball etc and hit a monster i should get life bonus with support gem imo

You can have spell that deal physical damage, the Life gain on hit only works for attacks, even if the attack only deal elemental/chaos damage and no physical. Mana leech/life leech on gears only works on physical damage, which can leach of spell(magic) if that spell deal physical damage. The life leach and mana leech support gem can works with all kind of attack and damage.

There is currently no spell that can deal physical dmg atm, only several mobs can. One example is the chaos mobs in the pyramid area that shoot a spell projectile that deal 50% physical and 50% chaos damage.

tl;dr Types of damage dealt (fire/physical..) do not determine which kind of attacks (attack/spell) it is.
Unviable build tester.
Fuse mechanics:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/21503
95% Crit Build Without Charges [0.10.1c]:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/172438
"
Progammer wrote:
"
laz000 wrote:

You can have spell that deal physical damage, the Life gain on hit only works for attacks, even if the attack only deal elemental/chaos damage and no physical. Mana leech/life leech on gears only works on physical damage, which can leach of spell(magic) if that spell deal physical damage. The life leach and mana leech support gem can works with all kind of attack and damage.

There is currently no spell that can deal physical dmg atm, only several mobs can. One example is the chaos mobs in the pyramid area that shoot a spell projectile that deal 50% physical and 50% chaos damage.

tl;dr Types of damage dealt (fire/physical..) do not determine which kind of attacks (attack/spell) it is.

I guess i just understand why there can't be Magic life and mana leech?

I assume it's been intentionally left out as some kind of penalty for balance.

just don't understand why

Mages have less defense/life points ... if a mage needs life leech he is just about dead. Don't understand the problem with it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info