New to the game, struggling with gear and more

Hello everyone! Sorry if this post doesn’t belong here or if it’s not allowed...

I started playing 3 days ago although I’m getting used to the game really quick, I decided to build a tornado shot ranger set as deadeye while I’m A10 already I’m starting to get a bit frustrated (pathetic, I know, considering I have less than a week playing) but I don’t know how to get even semi decent gear to keep up with better players during public games (the only way I got so far) because the items I got at the moment truly suck, is there a way to farm, make currency or something?

Also, I’ve been reading that the tornado shot ranger is really expensive to build... should I make a cheaper character? If that’s what am I suppose to do can someone please tell me which one should be a viable option? I know there are plenty of guides in the forums but I don’t know which one is like decent to get currency maybe? And cheap at the same time

Thanks a lot in advice, really liking the game and don’t wanna lose any motivation!
Last bumped on Sep 21, 2018, 6:32:05 AM
Your skilltree is a little bit all over the place, especially considering what you will have to pick up in the futre.

Check this tree out for a better way to organize the pathing: https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/3.4.2/AAAABAICAQBeBS0FtQguDPIRLxGBE9oUdRVDFf0WvxmOGo0j9iT9JpUqCysKLlMwcTB8Mfo2PTfUOdQ6Qj7PQzFEDUp9S3hM_02STipRR1T-VUtW-lsmW69d8l5FYRBh4mHrYqxjp2VNZ6BsCGyMb1dwUnTtdct293fXeBl6U311fyt_-4d2idOMNo19jX6NgY25jb-QCpLzmyabjZzEnaqgn6TCpcun1KiiqvixAbF8tMW1SLcit7a74702vea-p8GgwdjC7MPmxKLIzMjwz17PetNv037UI9rB2-fdRt2o32_jn-Xm51To1um96mLrY-0_7YPuDu9674_wu_GK8rj66_1u_rr-yP_e

Concerning gear: Get used to using the website poe.trade. Get used to it's filters, what you can search for etc.
You should be able to cap out your resistance with good life with 1-2 chaos orb investments and then you can search for a decent weapon to use (in your case, set a maximum buyout that you can afford, then sort by eDPS (elemental DPS) and see if there is anything that would provide a meaningful uprade to your current weapon. Since TS is a crit-based build, strongly consider the crit-base of the weapon as well. It makes a huge difference in DPS, since all the crit-chance you are getting is only working on this base. Say you have around 700% inc crit-chance, if the base 5 that's 35%, if the base is 8 then thats 56, which is a lot more).
You play SC, you might as well get a tabula rasa until you can afford QotF. Having that early 6 link tremendously improves clear-speed and helps you farm a lot faster. I would priortize a decent weapon over a tabula tho.
Last edited by Player089 on Sep 20, 2018, 4:52:47 AM

Hello! Thank you for your reply, I’ve been following this guide as for the skill tree

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2170753

Although I haven’t been following an specific order for it and also wanted to get the gear that the user lists but it’s a bit expensive hehe

Also thanks for the poe.advice, As for now I can’t afford Tabula because I only have like 6 chaos orbs and it’s worth like 12 from what I’ve been watching in the site... is there a way to get chaos orbs? Another silly question, sorry.

Edit: Do you also recommend to keep going with the Tornado Shot Ranger or do you suggest to make a budget/easier build?
Last edited by Zynkh on Sep 20, 2018, 5:10:52 AM
As a new player, I would avoid group play. There is waaaaay too much that you'll be absorbing to participate at a speed desired for group play.

I started mid abyss myself, so I haven't been around all that long. Never have been majorly wealthy in game but enough to gear my primary character each league.

First thing I would focus on is learning in general. And part of that learning is being practical. If you aren't familiar with the rigors of farming up currency -- DO NOT try to play builds that rely on expensive gearing.

It's hard enough to learn as it is (because there is so much), getting bogged down because you can't finish gearing your character and it failing to clear maps effectively in the meanwhile will just result in your burnout and loss of interest.

A lot about gearing is ultimately efficiency. Every time you leave town to kill something, you're basically playing the loot slot machine. You don't want to waste too much time micromanaging junk but also don't want to leave money on the ground either.

4 leagues later and I'm finally at a point where I'm comfortable vendoring low value uniques (since I have most of my collection in remove-only tabs in std) and reducing my time spent identifying yellows.

Yep, totally over league play.
Once you hit lvl 60 you should consider doing the unidentified chaos vendor recipe (trade a full set of rare items which are unidentified to the vendor. set means each slot your character has), since you get 2c out of it each time you're doing it. There are a lot of rares dropping in Delve and it should give you a good amount of currency at the start. Once you reach higher Tier maps you shouldn't do it anymore though (not efficient at this point).

Edit: The item level of the item must be 60 and above for it to work, character level is independent.
::::::::▄▄▄▀▀▀▄▄███▄::::::::::::::
::::::▄▀▀░░░░░░░▐░▀██▌:::::::::::
:::: ▄▀░░░░▄▄███░▌▀▀░▀█:::::::::
::  ▄█░░▄▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▐░░░░█▌:::::::
::▐█▀▄▀▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▌░░░░░▐█▄:::::
Last edited by TheRealLeviathan on Sep 20, 2018, 6:04:46 AM
"
Zynkh wrote:

Also thanks for the poe.advice, As for now I can’t afford Tabula because I only have like 6 chaos orbs and it’s worth like 12 from what I’ve been watching in the site... is there a way to get chaos orbs? Another silly question, sorry.

Edit: Do you also recommend to keep going with the Tornado Shot Ranger or do you suggest to make a budget/easier build?

Run Blood Aqueducts in Act 9. It can drop the Humility card. 9 Humilities turn in for a Tabula. It would probably take you longer than it's worth to farm the whole set. Just buy the rest of the cards once you can afford it.

Also start doing the chaos recipe. It's really good for making a little money to get started. Another thing new people often don't realize is the six socket vendor recipe. Pick up any item with six sockets. You can vendor them for 7 jeweler's orbs, which are worth almost a chaos right now.

Yes a well geared TS build is pretty expensive, but you don't need a six link Windripper and 20 ex worth of quant gear to get started. TS is also one of the best speed farming builds. If you can get to low level maps and clear them quickly you will have plenty of cash in no time.
Wow I wasn't expecting so much in little time, thanks everyone for the replies

Going everything you guys told me...

At the moment as Sinthetick told me I'm going to run Blood Aqueducts to get the Humility card and do the chaos recipe, should I do it by myself or join public parties? Seems like I can do just fine alone and I'm not getting 1 shoot

Thanks a lot!
I recommend playing alone or with friends who wait for you / help you out when necessary. My experience is that public parties are very hectic, both concerning chaining maps and clearing them. And if you're not fast enough, you can miss out on exp or even loot.

Also, I can only imagine farming divination cards in a group as frustrating. What if the other people happen to get all the card drops? I think farming them in a group makes sense once you chain dozens of maps to get high value ones. That way, it will pay off eventually.
Yeah think I'll just farm them by myself although I'm a bit slow so that kinda sucks hehe

Thank you!
"
Zynkh wrote:

Thats not a silly question :)

You could try to sell items to other players.
Pricing items correctly is very tough for new players though, except for unique items, currency and such.

The easiest way to get chaos for new players is doing the chaos recipe.
Reserve one of your tabs for this, if you can make room for that.
Make sure you are farming at least lvl60 zones.
Pick up rare items and DO NOT identify them, but stash them away.

Wait until you farmed a full set and sell it to a vendor for 2 chaos orbs, if all items are still unidentified. If one of them is identified, you´ll get just 1 chaos orb.

Full set requires:
- Helmet
- Gloves
- Boots
- Chest
- Belt
- Amulet
- 2 Rings
- 2 one-handed wepaons or 1 two-handed weapon or 1 one-handed plus a shield/quiver

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info