[3.5] Hybrid's take on Jugg Molten Strike - Hold right click to TANK anything | MELT the Atlas |

T16 UGS map, the more they hit me - the tankier i get ^^

Videos:
Spoiler

Did uber elder but forgot to recond in the first time and the second time got corrupted :(

Deathless Shaper (3rd phase with full hp)

waited for shaper to fully regen after the 2nd phase.
Full fight here

Deathless Red Elder (with mapping setup)
also tanking the expanding nova.

All the Guardians kills

T16 Mino just holding right click, ignoring boss mechanics completely

T16 UGS bosses with mapping setup (ancestral call instead of ele dmg w\ atks)

Post 3.5 patch: Still face tanking everythig

Updates:
Spoiler

3.5:
There are some nerfs and buffs to the build but it would still be strong.
i dont see something that "breaks" the build really.
i think that in this league more people would gravitate towards a dual wielding shanks instead of the sword+shield setup to compensate for the reduced number of balls from the threshold jewels.

the build never had damage issues even though i never focused on dps anyway.
my "philosophy" here is that as long as you can tank the damage you can always kill the boss.

i might of made this build a tiny bit too tanky and GGG decided to nerf it ^^

but if you follow the build you could do all of the content easily, even as a league starter.
gear to acquire as a league starter in order of importance:
1. Thief's Troment - will hard carry you to endgame if you can manage the resistances and dex.
2. Grelwood Shank - massive dps boost (wont be available in the first few days though so you will have to find a fast attacking sword\claw meanwhile)
3. elder helmet - that would be your 6L (you can start with a 5L).
4. Kaom's Heart - cuz big life is easy life :)

I know, i know!
there are many Molten Strike guides out there, probably with more damage too.
but they are focusing on damage too much and it hurts the build in other aspects IMO.
so i made my own build that fits my playstyle without compromising too much (if any) on damage.
Edit: after watching and analyzing more MS builds, i can safely say that mine is among the highest DPS ones.

Pros:
-VERY tanky: many layers of defense
-Lots of life: 9k without GG gear
-Lots of damage
-Can do all content
-Excellent lab runner
-Fast mapping
-Can start on a budget, a good league starter too
-Scales greatly with better gear
-No clunky mechanics
-Can do any map mod, rippy maps isnt a big deal anymore

*ele ref is possible on a 3L, i swap for any other helmet with molten strike-multistrike-ancestral call. (no elder mods!)
i still do enough damage, yes! i tested it, still melts red map bosses :)
you can add Greater Multiple Projectile to further reduce the damage of each ball and increase the tankiness with more ball.

Cons:
-Not a "ZOOM ZOOM" character like deadeye TS\KB (but is it really a con? :P)
-could get expensive if you try to min\max the build

Explanation:
Where the tankiness comes from?
1. we scale lots of life from tree and gear
2. capping resistances (OFC!)
3. armor and endurance chargers to mitigate hits
4. we get life from 3 sources: regen, leech and life gained on hit

We abuse the mod "life gain for each enemy hit by your attack" with the molten strike balls.
each ball that hits a monster grant us INSTANT life and with 14 balls per swing multiplied by ~12.5 attacks per sec we get TONS of life.

Funny note: i survived almost 400 stacks of darkness in Delve before dying.

how 14 balls?
base skill is 3
another 4 comes from the threshold jewels (+2 balls per jewel)
2 balls from the sword Grelwood Shank
2 more from the Dying Sun flask
and last 3 comes from the helmet enchant

EDIT: after the 3.5 patch you can have max of 11 balls with this setup.
only one wildfire jewel can be used and the helmet enchant is +2 balls instead of 3.

OK! show me the actual build already!

NOTE: please dont PM me in game for help if you didnt read the whole guide carefully.

Gear:
Spoiler

Weapon 1:

Try to get a good attack speed roll on this one.

For corruption, look for attack speed implicit.
while %phyz or flat phyz corruptions might get you slightly higher dps, attack speed mod will make your build feel much smoother.

Weapon 2:
well, its a shield actully :)

This shield has a very high life roll and with the implicit we can get over 200 life.
also gives armor.

Gloves:

You dont have to get the dual abyss sockets, works the same with one socket too, just more damage.

Important note: make sure at least one of the jewels you are using in these gloves is a "Murderous" type so you get the damage boost from intimidation mod.

For abyss jewels you want life, fire damage and/or physical damage.

For corruption, you want attack speed.
elemental weakness on hit might show a MASSIVE dps boost in POB, and its kind of is, but only against non-boss mobs, where you dont really need that much of damage to clear maps.
bosses have elemental resistances along with reduced effect of curses, so dps wise against bosses both corruption will be about the same, just that attack speed will make your build smoother.

Amulet:

Pretty much BiS, every mod on this items is useful for us.

10% life
fire res
10% str that gives us more life and damage
fire pen - more damage
cover enemies in ash - more damage
avatar of fire - again, more damage :)

We need Xoph's Blood also for "Avatar of Fire" mod that saves us points on the skill tree.
this mod convert phyz, cold and lightning damage to fire so we get more damage.
also this mod makes us deal only fire damage so phyz reflect maps are not a problem.

this amulet can be expensive, an alternative to that will be a rare ammy with life and res plus anything else you need like dex\int.
you can look for a "add fire/phyz dmg to atks" mod but that could get expensive too.

Belt:

Rare belt with life, res and wed.
preferably stygian vise or leather belt to squeeze out just a little bit more life and damage.

For another layer of defense, you can use abyss jewel with blind on hit mod.

Boots:

Rare boots with life and res.
movement speed is just a bonus because you will be using a movement skill for moving around.

if you can afford it, ele pen enchant is the best here.
gives us more damage against big bosses like shaper and elder.

Body armor:

Well, do i really need to explain this one? :)
TON of life
fire damage
and some armor too

WAIT! no 6L!?

we actually get our 6L from the helmet.
we can do that with the elder mods to get another 2 gems in the helmet itself.

Helmet:

you are looking for the "immolate" and "conc effect" mods with any other useful mod like life or res.
Important note: the "less duration" mod is just there by chance, you dont need it! we gain no benefit from this mod.

easiest way to find this helmet is with this search filter:
Standard
Delve

If you can afford it, "30% more elemental damage" roll is a massive dps boost, essentially making it a 7L helmet.

working on getting the MS enchant ^^

Rings:

try to get as much "life gained on hit" as you can and then any other mod you need like res or dex.
life is a good bonus on the rings but it can get very expensive.

alternatively you can use

but managing res and dex could be difficult.

Jewels:
You need two of these for the +2 balls per jewel bonus.

EDIT: post 3.5 patch you can only use one of these.

one of you rare jewels need to have the mod "2 mana gained for each enemy hit by your attacks" so you can sustain mana. 1 mana on hit could result in you not having enough mana to attack.
you want life and attack speed, AS is the best way to scale our damage.

Watcher's eye with Anger fire leech mod.
later you can upgrade to a double anger mod with leech and phyz gained as extra fire or increased fire damage.

Alternatives:
Watcher's Eye with vitality life leech and swapping Herald of Ash with vitality, but its not ideal.

an elder ring with "Warlord's mark on hit" mod can probably work too.
thing is tho, you want rings with life gained on hit mods so that could be expensive with the warlord's mod.

Flasks:

We have 9k life and normal life flasks just wont be enough.
you wont be using this one really, since we get so much life regn\leech\gain.

more damage.
consecrated ground give us more life regen when we are standing on it.
you want anti bleed flask for the rare case you get that 20 stacks of bleed.
most bleed effects wont have much impact on us and you probably wont even degen at all.

try to get a good pen roll on that.
you can also try to get your uncapped fire res higher than cold&light but its not a big deal if you cant manage it because we use the next flask the grant us +50% fire res and should fix that problem :)

this flask gives us 2 more balls for a damage and tankiness boost.
you want to get a flask that consumes 30 charges or less so you can get 2 uses out of it. if it has the mod "increased charges uses" its not good for you.
you either want it to not have that mod at all or have the "reduced charges used" mod.
also try to get the lowest increased area of effect rolls, more area means less balls hitting the target.

Onslaught gives more attack speed which is very good for us.
you want anti curse mod on this one.
also you need the roll "reduced charges used" to be at least 23% to get 2 uses out of the flask.

Gem links:
Spoiler
Molten Strike:
Molten Strike - Multistrike - Combustion - Ancestral Call
you get Immolate and Conc effect from the helmet's elder mods so they are automatically linked.
for hard single targets swap Ancestral Call with Elemental Damage With Attacks.
Personally i dont swap gems because i still melt T15 bosses with the mapping setup.

Anger- Herald of Ash - Enlighten
Enlighten gives us more room to breath with the mana, also its a great QOL in no mana regen maps.
anger and hoa gives more damage.

Cast With Damage Taken
- Immortal Call - Summon Lightning Golem - Ancestral Protector
the totem wont proc with CWDT, just there for the attack speed boost on bosses.

Whirling Blades - Faster Attacks - Blood Magic
you can use fortify instead of BM.
i use BM cuz i can run out of mana sometimes on long travel distances.

Blood Rage
gives attack speed and frenzy charges on kill for even more AS.

Pantheon:
Spoiler

Major: Soul of Arakaali

you need to upgrade it for the life recovery rate.
its works with blood rage and immortal call.
when immortal call proc with CWDT you are immune to physical damage and since blood rage degen is physical damage over time this scenario activate the pantheon buff.

Minor: Sould of Shakari
upgrade it for full effectiveness.
i used to roll with sould of gruthkul for the phyz mitigation, but in 3.4 poison got buffed, so monster's poison also cause more damage and can be very deadly now.
pre 3.4 poison wasnt even noticeable.

Leveling:
Spoiler

not much to say here, normal leveling items.

use Thief's Torment as early as you can get it.
this ring can also be your endgame ring if you manage the res and dex.

I used Molten Strike from level 1 with ancestral call.
you want to link it with faster attacks and multistrike later on.

you can add ele dmg w\ atks and added fire damage to the setup.
damage is high right from the getgo.

for a weapon, try to get a fast attacking claw\sword.

Skill Tree, Ascendancy and Bandits:
Spoiler

Bandits: kill all. we need the points :)

Ascendancy progression:
1. Undeniable for damage, hit chance and attack speed.
2. Unstoppable for QOL.
3. Unbreakable for a lot of defense mods.
4. Unflinching as endurance charges have more effect in endgame where physical damage is high.

Complete tree at level 97

Note: i took the 0.8% life regen node at the start of the tree last, at level 97.

General tree progression:
*Feel free to spec the points where ever you need\want.
you pretty much alternate between damage and life.
there are no "build enabling" nodes so you have alot of freedom.

Part one

Part two

Part three

i didnt include the sword specific nodes because it depends on your budget and progression.
in the start of the league you wont get access to Grelwood Shank as it only drops from an elder guardian.
so there is no point specing into the sword nodes if you are not using a sword.
ofcourse that any sword can be used, but i used claws untill i got my Shank.
*ignore that if you are playing on STD :)

POB:
Spoiler

My current setup:
https://pastebin.com/KE4c5E21

DPS:
Spoiler

well, im not sure, just know that its very high and will MELT bosses :)

ingame tooltip only shows the melee party of molten strike damage.
POB probably shows damage per ball but its hard to tell how many balls hits the monster as its depends on RNG and the mob's hitbox.

the theoretical dps formula is:
damage per ball X attack speed X number of balls per attack X % balls that hit the enemy.

Tool for calculating resistances:
Spoiler

I like to use an EXCEL file i made for calculating res needed to cap.
here is a link:
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=67947714524391132233

FAQ
Spoiler

Can i use "this" weapon?
my build is using grelwood shank and lioneyes remorse.
there is no other sword that will give you more dps.
though you can replace the shield for more dps but less defense and life.
best option will be another grelwood shank (what a surprise ^^) or beltimber blade.

Why arent you using curses?
a curse with blasphemy takes too much mana.
warlords mark isnt really useful for us since we have the fire leech and we get mana on hit.
poachers mark isnt really needed and wont work on hexaproof maps.
flammability is a dps curse, but we are not using it for two main reasons:
1. hard to make a gem setup in this build because we dont have free sockets.
2. actual dps wont be much higher because you only need the extra dps on bosses, but those have low curse effectiveness (80% reduced on the big bosses).

How much dex&int i need?
Int: 111, only for lvl20 combustion.
Dex: at least 122 so you can equip the sword.
you can try to get 155 dex for a lvl20 blood rage, but its not a big deal.

What level should my CWDT gem be?
lvl 20 so you can use higher level golem and less frequently endurance charges loss.

How much extra dps lvl21 gems will give me?
dont bother, the dps increase is very neglectable.

What about using Empower?
see last answer :)

How is my dps? \ Why my dps is so low?
first, make sure you are using POB to analyze your dps and not the ingame tooltip.
also verify you tick all the right boxes in the configuration tab (like "is the enemy ignited?"), you can compare it with my POB link i provided, and that you have the complete skill tree (at least level 93).
also use Elemental Damage with Attacks gem instead of Ancestral Call.
second, take a look at the gear section and confirm that you are using all the correct items.

if everything above is right, your dps is fine.
you should be around 150k dps against normal monsters with the magma balls (not melee hit section).

ofcourse that your dps isnt really 200k, check the DPS section for more information.

Can i pm you ingame?
Yes, but please do so only after you read the whole guide carefully.
posting your questions in this thread would be easier for me because i can look at your character's gear and skill tree.

Spoiler

"
Pykl wrote:
Solid build, really is as tanky/strong as is claimed, i have the same build essentially, just using 2x grelwoods.
Will carry you though endgame with absolute ease.
Sickeningly OP!

"
Completed 8 ChallengesNukemi wrote:
Really enjoying this build! Thanks for making the guide. Just attempted and killed shaper for the first time ever and it was smooth sailing all the way through.

Thief's torment is really amazing this league.

"
superluke45 wrote:
This build is soo good *o*

"
Completed 6 ChallengesCobbo wrote:

can say this is the most enjoyable molten strike character ive played

"
Completed 6 Challengesil_pitv wrote:
Amazing build, level 88 so far in Hardcore Delve, just tried Uber lab for the very first time and killing izaro was a joke.

"

By the way thanks for this build I have enjoyed face tanking T16. I usually play glass cannons so its a nice change, still can't stand in shaper stuff but it might be that i am not high enough lvl yet.

"

Update 2:

Lv89 atm. Did all Guardians + Shaper in row with 2 deaths at all. Stupid deaths. I wasnt paying attention. Facetanked ANYTHING. Even the Beam or Slam of Shaper. No freakin deal. I ate that dmg like nothing and regen in no time.

BEAST MODE!

First time did and done Shaper with 0 problems.

Thanks AGAIN!

"
Completed 1 Challengesknabi wrote:
this build basically carried me through every single content in the game.

I think im ready to move on to something else haha

red elder/ shaper is a joke

guardians become a snoozefest.

This is my first time hitting end game, and its honestly been too easy with this build.

"
Did Red elder and Shaper last night with Duel Grelwoods instead of shield, I couldn't stand in things as much but the dps was insane versus sword and board. Also thanks for putting this build together it has been one of the best builds I have played.

"
Hello,

I want to thank you for your build. It's really true OP atm. Did Uber Lab, killed Kitava at level 68 and first map i made was a shaped Burial with absolutelly no problem whatsoever :)
Spent a lot of currency but i have a feeling will be a blast in endgame.
Cheers and Congrats.

"
starting to get tired of this season, but this build has extended the life of the game past the time I usually play a league. only things i lack at this point is a molten strike enchant and a double anger watchers eye (50+ ex no way i can afford). That said I am still having a blast working with enchants and delving.

"
As i suspected at level 91 atm i just wipe all content with this build. So amazing dude :) Just missing Uber Elder. Waiting on him to spawn. Guardians are a joke :D Using dual swords, sitting at 8.4 HP.

"
Completed 5 ChallengesAnge550 wrote:
Thank for the build, look really nice.
At this moment i'm only lv 89 and can tank Gardian.

"
Memorioro wrote:
Tweaked the build a little bit. Killed Uber Elder at lvl 85 with a few stupid deaths.

Overall great, but prefer dual grelwood :)

"
Completed 9 ChallengesPosid wrote:
What a ride. Hadn't done deathless Uber elder yet but with this build it was a breeze.

Swapped out herald for Haste because I have a Watcher's eye with phasing which is very helpful when exploring the dark areas in delve.

"
Completed 6 ChallengesTheRoyalShu wrote:
Just want to say. Hands down the BEST build in TENCENT P.o.E history. Destroyer of Uber Elder. THANKS for such an awesome write up, and easy follow through. I was always a Bf/reave/ Double strike duelie. But found the skill where to 1v1, and not good against the uber phases.(the clutters) But then I Found my self watching YouTube vids on this build, and did the dual shank o dank Grelwood. But I'm glad I found this thread. Thumbs up bud.

that's it!
would love to hear your feedback :)
Last edited by hybridboy on Dec 8, 2018, 3:01:53 PM
Last bumped on Dec 9, 2018, 8:05:39 PM
Reserved
Solid build, really is as tanky/strong as is claimed, i have the same build essentially, just using 2x grelwoods.
Will carry you though endgame with absolute ease.
Sickeningly OP!
Any suggested alternatives for the helm? Literally there is only one up for sale on Delve league right now and they are very pricey. Seems this build needs the help with the "supported by socketed gem" helm though so I am curious if you can still make this work if you can't afford or find that helm yet.
bandits?
"
Completed 5 Challengeskrut0n wrote:
Any suggested alternatives for the helm? Literally there is only one up for sale on Delve league right now and they are very pricey. Seems this build needs the help with the "supported by socketed gem" helm though so I am curious if you can still make this work if you can't afford or find that helm yet.

there is no alternative for the helm as its our only way to get a 6L with kaoms.

these helmets are really cheap.
i got mine at the first day of delve for like 25c.

you can find these for 10-15c in delve or std no problem.
i made this build so you can start cheap :)

here is a link to poe.trade search filter i made:

Standard
Delve

GL!

"
Completed 5 ChallengesRohak wrote:
bandits?

KILL ALL! :)

i will add this to the guide, ty.
Last edited by hybridboy on Sep 8, 2018, 5:13:33 AM
preferred order of ascendancies?
Last edited by Rohak on Sep 8, 2018, 7:20:23 AM
"
Completed 5 ChallengesRohak wrote:
preferred order of ascendancies?

I would go with:
1. Undeniable for damage, hit chance and attack speed.
2. Unstoppable for QOL.
3. Unbreakable for a lot of defense mods.
4. Unflinching as endurance charges have more effect in endgame where physical damage is high.
what do you think about drop sword and use Dreadsurge + sprinkler for dual hand? price of giving up little bit of defence
Is there a leveling tree that we may be able to use as a guide as well? Thanks for the build.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info