[3.4] Crying Blades | Blade Flurry-Abyssal Cry-Poison Pathfinder | Guardians Down | Budget

- .... .- -. -.- -.-- --- ..-

-=Introduction=-

Hey everybody. This has been my league's starter build.

It's been a fun ride, but I'm not going to be capable of playing PoE for much longer. So I thought I'd make a post regarding my strange yet-functional build.

I came up with the idea after I saw the new warcry nodes added to the passive tree and remembered that old Kripparian build from some years ago. I really wanted to make something that played like that.

This build uses a variety of mechanics, some of which I'm unsure about or just haven't been tested enough. If I make an error, please make sure to correct me, I always appreciate criticism of any form.

-=Pros and Cons=-
Spoiler

Pros:
> Cheap / Budget
> Can clear literally every map mod at all tiers
> Fast movement speed with and without shield charge
> Has very respectable damage
> Does not care about any pack's life pool
> Synergies with bex's "Pop" loot filter

Cons:
> Has to ramp up damage against bosses
> Have to stand still periodically to do damage
> Abyssal Cry cooldown is a clear-speed gate
> Not a juggernaut
> Requires more than a single button for clearing (2!)

-=Path of Building=-
Spoiler

https://pastebin.com/S4zYhcYH

I'm not too big on the... "big numbers" PoB links. This build shows at ~350k shaper dps with no jewels, no amulet, no-mods on rare gear, and bottom rolls on most uniques. And it's only on 6 stages, not released.

This way you'll be able to tune the build and adjust your expectations accordingly!

-=Passive Tree=-
Spoiler

For this build, you will want 2 passive points as your bandit reward.

The ascendancy order goes:
Nature's Reprisal -> Master Toxicist -> Nature's Adrenaline -> Nature's Boon

Level 74
When you're first able to transition into the build-proper.

Spoiler
https://poeplanner.com/AA4AANEADjIAAGWbjQgu7YMZjgBe034knWJa73r2oxUgLOkA7ipNPydKyIqvkBFuqrXyNZLYvf4Ktz6DzDwtxq7E9veUehmUB3Kp9zJ82a4-Z5vkUVBH7w4UIF8_wQRVtZ7NpzDaP1n8xqruDqOKI_ZNko19MHxRR42_1CMFtcLstMUV_WSvRfSKONYHj8ECEQZwLiN6f2KsbIydqjY962O1SBEvKwpd8g5IEZYHHpUu8NVJUY_6doLIDLTRFr8mlWHiVUuMNqZ_7UHI3H-Wn21QAAahAAAAAAA=

Level 89
Shaper and Guardians viable.

Spoiler
https://poeplanner.com/AA4AAPMADjIAAHabjQgu7YMZjgBe034knWJa73r2oxUgLOkA7oazKk0_J0rIiq-QEXvDbqq18jWS2L3-Crc-g8w8LcauxPb3lHoZlAdyqfcyfNmuPmeb5FFQR-8OFCBfP8EEVbWezacw2j9Z_Maq7g6jiiP2TZKNfTB8UUeNv9QjBbXC7LTFFf1kr0X0ijjWB4_BAhEGcC4jen9irGyMnao2PetjtUgRLysKXfIOSBGWBx6VLvDVSVGP-naCyAy00Ra_JpVh4lVLjDamf-1Baoz1b8gUotmw2FxAh8unm3WezxVEDcjwg1_I3H-Wn21QAAahN0zHnQAAAAAA

Level 100
For those crazy folk.

Spoiler
https://poeplanner.com/AA4AAQ0ADjIAAIObjQgu7YMZjgBe034knWJa73r2oxUgLOkA7oazKk0_J0rIiq-QEXvDbqq18jWS2L3-Crc-g8w8LcauxPb3lHoZlAdyqfcyfNmuPmeb5FFQR-8OFCBfP8EEVbWezacw2j9Z_Maq7g6jiiP2TZKNfTB8UUeNv9QjBbXC7LTFFf1kr0X0ijjWB4_BAhEGcC4jen9irGyMnao2PetjtUgRLysKXfIOSBGWBx6VLvDVSVGP-naCyAy00Ra_JpVh4lVLjDamf-1Baoz1b8gUotmw2FxAh8unm3WezxVEDcjwg1_I3PJFOuGmV03j_o99df66N9TtP6PvVIJ_lp9tUAAGoTdMx51_gP8QAAAAAAA=

-=Leveling Strategy=-
Spoiler

As I said, I started this league with the build and made it to level 78 before my first trade in the league.

With that said, I'd recommend leveling this character as a bow character using caustic arrow and/or toxic rain. Both are very powerful skills this league that benefit a lot from the nodes in the ranger tree and pathfinder ascendancy.

You should grab every movement speed node around the ranger tree, and respec out of them (using your free respec points you get from quests) once you're ready to transition into your final build.

-=Pantheon=-
Spoiler

Your major god should be Arakaali upgraded with a divine vessel used to Capture Arachnoxia from Toxic Sewers. This gives the benefit of giving you 50% increased life recovery whenever Immortal Call activates and stops Blood Rage's Damage over Time. In my opinion this interaction is overpowered.

I use the upgraded Garukhan for my minor god. But until you're able to clear Dig with a divine vessel, you should use Ralakesh.

-=Gear=-
Spoiler

My Current Gear
Spoiler

My gear probably speaks a thousand words about the build. It's very... "budget" for one word. "Room for improvement" is another phrase I like to use for it.

But lets go to a breakdown for what you're looking for in each slot.

Main Hand
Spoiler

The Wasp Nest is our best in slot weapon. It's cheap, very effective, and synergizes very well with our build. I'd be tempted to call it the Piscator of claws.

Of course, just like with rare wands compared to Piscator, there is the possibility that a rare claw could be better than The Wasp Nest. But its price would be much steeper than the 1c-ish Wasp Nest. Though I do implore you to always be on the lookout for them.

Off Hand
Spoiler

Redblade Banner is our best in slot offhand. And just like with our weapon, it's cheap, effective, and synergistic. Providing leech, defenses, life, and cuts a full second off of Abyssal Cry's cooldown!

Helmet
Spoiler

Yes, you see that right. We use Deidbellow too. It's absolutely core because it gives us additional flat phys for our base poison damage as well as 20% global attack speed and movement speed.

And, most importantly. 20% cast speed. Because we NEED that for portal. It's vital I tell you, VITAL! (Maybe not that vital...)

Body Armour
Spoiler

Carcass jack is a fantastic body armour that hasn't been seeing as much use recently. Which is very good for us, since this body armour gives us increased area damage and area of effect with decent defenses on top of it all.

Gloves
Spoiler

The Embalmer gloves are fantastic. On top of some okay life, they give flat chaos damage to hits which scales our impact damage and poison damage. They give poison duration, allowing us to stack more poisons against bosses. And they give our Abyssal Cry a pseudo 5 link.

Boots
Spoiler

These are going to be rare boots. You're looking for 25-30% movement speed, life, and resistances. Preferably on an evasion base.

Belt
Spoiler

There are a couple of paths you can take for your belt.

You can grab a stygian vise belt with as much life/resistances as you can fit on it. Maybe even craft it with fossils.

Or you can try to get a hold of a shaper belt with the mod #% Increased Cooldown Recovery Speed (but still trying to find some amount of life/resistances). With 20% on the belt, you will reach a 2 second cooldown on your Abyssal Cry, which is very much noticeable.

Rings
Spoiler

So you will have two rare rings.

Your first ring will have 35 or more intelligence on it, and as much life and resistances as you can find.

Your second ring will just be a hunk of life and resistance. Which should cap your elemental resistances.

You can additionally get the mod Adds # to # Flat Physical Damage to Attacks in order to get more damage. Just not at the cost of your defenses.

Amulet
Spoiler

Ideally you will want the unique Impresence. It's a unique with multiple versions that can only drop by killing an Elder that spawns in the red maps near the center of the atlas. The version you're looking for is the one with the mod: 100% reduced Despair Mana Reservation.

However, if you noticed in "My Current Gear". Not only do I not have one of these 8-9 exalt amulets. But I'm currently wearing a trashy iLevel 20 amulet that gives next-to nothing. The build doesn't even need the Intelligence on that amulet, or the resistances.

And the reason for that is simple. You really don't need anything on the amulet at this point.

So I recommend just getting a rare with Life/Attack Speed/Flat Physical Damage to Attacks until you get the Impresence.

Flasks
Spoiler

1. Divine Life Flask
Prefix: Either Bubbling (50% of recovery applied instantly) or Seething (Recovery applied instantly, but less total recovered).
Suffix: Either of Staunching (Removes bleeding) or of Heat (Removes freeze and chill). I would recommend Staunching.

2. Quicksilver Flask
Prefix: Your choice between Chemist's (Reduced charges used) Experimenter's (Increased duration) or Perpetual (Charges recover faster).
Suffix: Adrenaline (Additional increased movement speed) is my mandate. You've gotta have the need for speed.

3. Silver Flask
Prefix: Chemist's, Experimenter's, or Perpetual.
Suffix: Depending on your other flask choices, either of Heat (Removes freeze and chill) or of Warding (Immune to curses). I would recommend of Heat.

4. Sulfur Flask
Prefix: Chemist's, Experimenter's, or Perpetual.
Suffix: Depending on your other flask choices, either of Warding (Immune to curses) or of Staunching (Removes bleeding). I would recommend of Warding.

5. Atziri's Promise
Try to get the highest roll you can for Gain #% of Physical Damage as Extra Chaos Damage during Flask effect. The elemental roll does not matter.

Why Not...?

Coralito's:
A very powerful flask that reads in Path of Building as the highest DPS flask you can have. And will be against any large health pool boss. But it's completely unnecessary until you reach tier 15 or even 16 maps.

Sin's Rebirth:
Another high DPS flask. And I would love to use it and recommend it. But this thing is far too expensive, and there's no way I could recommend this for how little it actually does and how much you'd have to give up to use it.

Witchfire Brew:
It has the potential to remove the desire for Impresence and free up two linked gem slots. But in practicality, you don't get what you want from it. It definitely does what you want it to while you're clearing trash mobs, but when you actually need the Despair damage (during boss fights) you'll find yourself sometimes running out of charges and low on damage.
If you're fine with this drawback and/or are fine with micromanaging your flasks in the middle of your boss fights, then this is a flask you could very reasonably take.

Jewels
Spoiler

Just quickly: if you decide to use a Stygian Vise instead of a shaper belt, I really don't know what abyssal jewel mods you'd take. Sorry, I just never put any thought into it until now.

So every jewel that you get should have:

> 7% increased maximum Life

As well as one or two of these mods (three if you're crazy):

> (6-8)% increased Attack Speed with Claws
> (3-5)% increased Attack Speed
> (6-8)% increased Poison Duration
> Any remaining Elemental Resistances you need

-=Gems=-
Spoiler

There is plenty of working room with these links. So please feel free to try moving them around, adding, and removing some of them to adapt them to your own playstyle.

6L Body Armour (G-G-G-B-B-R)
4-Link: Blade Flurry - Added Chaos - Lesser Poison - Void Manipulation
5-Link: Add Unbound Ailments and swap Lesser Poison for Poison
6-Link: Add Melee Physical Damage

4L Gloves (G-G-B-R)
Abyssal Cry - Increased Area of Effect - Void Manipulation - Poison

4L Boots (G-G-G-R)
Herald of Agony - Ancestral Protector - Culling Strike - Withering Touch

4L Helmet (G-R-R-R)
Herald of Purity | Cast when DT (Lvl 5) - Blood Rage (Lvl 10) - Immortal Call (Lvl 7)
> If you want to self-cast Blood Rage, level it to 20.
> If you want to have it automated, keep it at level 10.
> Make sure you put Blood Rage "earlier" in the socket order than Immortal Call.

3L Main-hand (B-B-*)
Blasphemy - Despair | Portal

3L Off-hand (G-R-R)
Shield Charge (Lvl 1) - Faster Attacks - Fortify

-=Additional Information=-
Spoiler

This is the catch-all section where I can just shoehorn information into without worrying about order as much.

Dangerous Map Mods:
No life or mana regeneration:
> Just don't shield charge or pointlessly use Ancestral Protector. Only use Blade Flurry when you can hit mobs. You should have plenty enough leech and damage to sustain.

Any curse map:
> Make sure you have your curse flask setup on a non-life flask. Make sure you manage that flask so that it has as close to 100% uptime as you can get.

-=Final Words=-
I really appreciate this community for being so passionate about the game and inspiring many people just like me to make really dumb builds like this one. I hope you enjoyed my build just as I hope you enjoy the rest of your day.

.. .-.. --- ...- . -.-- --- ..-
Last edited by LightningVixen on Sep 5, 2018, 2:59:08 PM
Last bumped on Sep 21, 2018, 9:25:36 AM
Build sounds fun if you can attach any videos it would be great :D
Edit: sorry, this was a dumb question, but I couldn't figure out how to fully delete it. Apologies.

Last edited by JGravitas on Sep 12, 2018, 9:02:30 AM
Hello,

I was hoping to find a video attached, as I theory-crafted a similar build and was curious to see the concept in action :)

My build revolves around viper strike but I planned on using blade flurry + 3L abyssal cry for clearing (maybe you could consider viper strike for single targets)

I'm afraid I wont have enough time to try it, but here's the PoB anyway :
https://pastebin.com/7Xbi6Jbh

Hoping you can find any idea there (or improvements :p )

Cheers

:D

Edit :

Looking at the delve crafting i'd try to craft some Aberrant Fossil helmet (Nearby Enemies have -9% to Chaos Resistance).

I didn't simulate it yet in PoB either but "60% chance for Poisons inflicted with this Weapon to deal 100% more Damage" (from Corroded Fossil) +flat chaos dmg and attack speed probably deals way more dmg than Wasp Nest.
Last edited by ChannelMerge on Sep 13, 2018, 3:15:09 PM
Hi OP, thanks for the guide.

I'm more interested in Abyssal Cry. I read in other posts, some suggest Cry-Void Manipulation-Poison, some suggest Cry-Void manipulation. Do you only use poison for the 19% more damage? Or will void manipulation not work without poison?
Hi guys! Sorry I haven't been able to respond until now. I've been in and out of the hospital for a while. So let's get into this.

"
JubZyy wrote:
Build sounds fun if you can attach any videos it would be great :D

I'll see if I can figure out how to record some gameplay and get that to you in the next few days.

"
JGravitas wrote:
Edit: sorry, this was a dumb question, but I couldn't figure out how to fully delete it. Apologies.

No question is dumb! Just let me know if you have any more. I might not get to them very quickly, but there's no harm in asking.

"
ChannelMerge wrote:
Hello,

I was hoping to find a video attached, as I theory-crafted a similar build and was curious to see the concept in action :)

My build revolves around viper strike but I planned on using blade flurry + 3L abyssal cry for clearing (maybe you could consider viper strike for single targets)

I'm afraid I wont have enough time to try it, but here's the PoB anyway :
https://pastebin.com/7Xbi6Jbh

Hoping you can find any idea there (or improvements :p )

Cheers

:D

Edit :

Looking at the delve crafting i'd try to craft some Aberrant Fossil helmet (Nearby Enemies have -9% to Chaos Resistance).

I didn't simulate it yet in PoB either but "60% chance for Poisons inflicted with this Weapon to deal 100% more Damage" (from Corroded Fossil) +flat chaos dmg and attack speed probably deals way more dmg than Wasp Nest.

I really like your build. I've never played with viper strike before, so I never even thought of using it. It seems interesting though!

I'll also see if I can try figuring out how to record my PoE to get some build footage for you.

The fossil-crafted helmet is very strong and gives a lot of damage. But I personally can't give up the base damage, attack speed, and mobility that Deidbellow gives.

And 100% you could fossil craft better weapons than Wasp Nest. It takes a bit of effort and some PoB sleuthing to figure out what combination of mods you need to beat Wasp Nest... but it seems that fossils are so strong it shouldn't be too big of an issue if you have the currency to invest in it.

"
alexh1985 wrote:
Hi OP, thanks for the guide.

I'm more interested in Abyssal Cry. I read in other posts, some suggest Cry-Void Manipulation-Poison, some suggest Cry-Void manipulation. Do you only use poison for the 19% more damage? Or will void manipulation not work without poison?

Void manipulation works fine without Poison.

The reason I attach Poison onto Abyssal Cry is because Abyssal Cry's detonation damage (8% of mob's max health pool) is the base damage for Poison. Since mob HP gets pretty high, getting the % more poison damage is very strong. It also conveniently gives the Abyssal Cry 100% total chance to poison.

-=><=-

Hopefully these answered your questions. If you have any more, feel free to leave a reply and I'll do my best to reply in a timely manner.
Last edited by LightningVixen on Sep 14, 2018, 7:54:02 AM
Ok, level 50 atm, so still early, but I'm having a pretty tough time with mana. Between despair/blasphemy aura, herald of agony with culling strike & wither touch, and an unlinked herald of purity, I have somewhere around 10(!) unreserved mana left. That's enough for me to dodge some things, cast ancestral protector totem and continually BF, but I can't even CAST abyssal cry, much less move it into regular use.

What am I missing? Do I just need to go for more +INT nodes/gear, or is it something more complex?
warcry cost no mana.
IGN TylordRampage
"
Malone wrote:
warcry cost no mana.

Huh? Right now my abyssal cry costs 69 mana to cast. It's supposed to cost no mana?
Thanks for the review :)

"
The fossil-crafted helmet is very strong and gives a lot of damage. But I personally can't give up the base damage, attack speed, and mobility that Deidbellow gives.

Since you scale essentially with chaos damage increase and poison you can get flat chaos on rings and amulet from Elreon 6, its more efficient than flat physical

This way maybe you could get some nice helmet enchant and craft it with a fossil !

"
it shouldn't be too big of an issue if you have the currency to invest in it.

ilvl 83+ imperial claw (1c) with Aberrant + Corroded, probably 3c/ attempt ?
I didnt play enough to craft whatever in Delve so I'm not sure ^^"

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info