Preview of Water Tech Improvements

Yay it's the 1st update to fishing in a while.

Thanks!
it's a good day to die
I love the new water. When do we get surfing as a move speed mod?

"
ChanBalam wrote:
Will skill gems scale with the depth one gets to? Will going deeper will improve my gems?

"
ACGIFT wrote:
What is this even supposed to mean? Your gems gain EXP as you do. Therefore they'll gain EXP as you do while delving.

What it means: sure gems gain experience as you kill things, but that was not my point. In an endless dungeon you go deeper and things get harder. Once a gem gets to be 20/20, it stops improving. I was suggesting that gems could get additional improvements as one goes deeper. Perhaps at x level some gems get a +1 to their level. At an even deeper level +2. Or even a gem mod could be that at x level down the gem offers a bonus to existing armor or weapon mods.

For example, a corrupted cleave gem could offer a +1% damage for exploring at depths of more than 50 levels down.

Or, at such depths, fire spells gain +1 to gem levels. The endless depths offers lots of opportunities for GGG to create very cool enhancements and incentives to go deeper with builds that may not be meta.

In addition, at deep levels, GGG could remove the bad mods on some uniques making them more apt to be used for deep delves. Of course those bonuses would disappear when players are not delving.

"Gratitude is wine for the soul. Go on. Get drunk." Rumi
US Mountain Time Zone
Last edited by ChanBalam on Aug 14, 2018, 1:36:52 PM
"
ChanBalam wrote:
What it means: sure gems gain experience as you kill things, but that was not my point. In an endless dungeon you go deeper and things get harder. Once a gem gets to be 20/20, it stops improving. I was suggesting that gems could get additional improvements as one goes deeper. Perhaps at x level some gems get a +1 to their level. At an even deeper level +2. Or even a gem mod could be that at x level down the gem offers a bonus to existing armor or weapon mods.

For example, a corrupted cleave gem could offer a +1% damage for exploring at depths of more than 50 levels down.

Or, at such depths, fire spells gain +1 to gem levels. The endless depths offers lots of opportunities for GGG to create very cool enhancements and incentives to go deeper with builds that may not be meta.

In addition, at deep levels, GGG could remove the bad mods on some uniques making them more apt to be used for deep delves. Of course those bonuses would disappear when players are not delving.

So you... Are like many, asking if they're going to pour in a huge amount of power creep while they're at it.

No, I can tell you that they are not. The ENTIRE REASON for Delve is to scale only the monster side. Level 85+ Delves are not meant for ordinary players. They're there just to have something to keep the players who blitz level 100 and leave after a week.

I know that a lot of players are thinking how cool it'd be to creep their power to levels beyond 100, but none of y'all thinking that have ever done Uber Elder, (or even possibly shaper/Elder) so no, there's not going to be some easy continued progression.

If they did do that, Delve leaderboards would be meaningless.

If you want an already-extant example of a game handling something like this, I recommend looking at the OTHER top free-2-play game, Warframe. Again, it has missions that can keep scaling endlessly (e.g, every wave of monsters gets enemies gets stronger than the one before) and no, the player doesn't get more powerful for it, since the point is to show off a player's SKILL, not total TIME INVESTED.
Rufalius, hybrid Aura/Arc/Mana Guardian | Hemorae, TS Raider | Wuru, Ele Hit Wand Trickster
Last edited by ACGIFT on Aug 14, 2018, 5:49:53 PM
Hi. Question about Delve. Will I be able to make the dragon, drake and new monsters a spectre?! Please and thanks!
Last edited by aneruok1 on Aug 14, 2018, 6:55:03 PM
"
ACGIFT wrote:

So you... Are like many, asking if they're going to pour in a huge amount of power creep while they're at it.

No, I can tell you that they are not. The ENTIRE REASON for Delve is to scale only the monster side. Level 85+ Delves are not meant for ordinary players. They're there just to have something to keep the players who blitz level 100 and leave after a week.

I know that a lot of players are thinking how cool it'd be to creep their power to levels beyond 100, but none of y'all thinking that have ever done Uber Elder, (or even possibly shaper/Elder) so no, there's not going to be some easy continued progression.

If they did do that, Delve leaderboards would be meaningless.

If you want an already-extant example of a game handling something like this, I recommend looking at the OTHER top free-2-play game, Warframe. Again, it has missions that can keep scaling endlessly (e.g, every wave of monsters gets enemies gets stronger than the one before) and no, the player doesn't get more powerful for it, since the point is to show off a player's SKILL, not total TIME INVESTED.
Thanks; nice reply.

If Delve is just for the "the few", then that's too bad. I am not one of the few. I finally have a self made, level 91 character that can do the Shaper and Elder Guardians using cleave. Shaper/Elder are next. My best guy yet. Power creep isn't something I worry about, but I would enjoy being able to go deep into the dark and kill stuff. Locking me (and others) out of that just because we are not 1%ers shows little respect for those of us who love the game, but can't devote our lives to it.
US Mountain Time Zone
Triple A title water graphics on PoE! Heck yea!
(Steam)MickeyDankMouse
(PSN)MickeyDankMouse
(Xbox)MickeyDankMouse
-MickeyDankMouse-
"
ChanBalam wrote:
If Delve is just for the "the few", then that's too bad. I am not one of the few. I finally have a self made, level 91 character that can do the Shaper and Elder Guardians using cleave. Shaper/Elder are next. My best guy yet. Power creep isn't something I worry about, but I would enjoy being able to go deep into the dark and kill stuff. Locking me (and others) out of that just because we are not 1%ers shows little respect for those of us who love the game, but can't devote our lives to it.

Delve ITSELF is not "for the few;" only Extreme-level delves (read: level 85+) are "elite."

That's what I'm trying to explain. As far as you're staying with the same tiers that match with extant maps and drops, yes, you'll find loot.

Try to visualize this: this game has TWO power scaling slopes. One is for the power of the player, and the other is for the power of the monsters and threats they face. The better off the player is vs. the monsters at any given point, the EASIER the game will be, and the worse off the player is vs. the monsters at that point, the HARDER it will be.

As a general rule, like with most RPGs, these slopes remain pretty close to each other at any given point. The gap SLIGHTLY shifts to favor monsters as you go up, so the game can still feel gradually a bit "harder" as you go along.

With Delve, the MONSTER slope will keep going into infinite, but the PLAYER slope will still stop where it did before. They are not introducing new item mods to make iLvl 87+ items more powerful than those that currently drop. Similarly, the level cap will remain 100.

This means that going past the existing level "soft cap" will not actually make you more powerful. The point isn't just to have random-generated repeated content to higher levels that's just as hard as existing content... It's to have MORE challenge, so that no player will find themselves able to trivialize EVERYTHING.

Like, it's the same deal for you: the fact that you somehow are incapable of defeating shaper and elder ("meta build" or not has nothing to do with it, as I've almost invariably ignored the meta) shows that the game has ALREADY found your own current skill limit. Hence, extreme-level (85+) delves are not for you. You'll still be able to enjoy probably the first 70-80-ish levels of delves, and then keep going laterally to stay at the same level you're comfortable with. But no, it's not here to give infinite player-power scaling. That part is for players that yawn after blowing through Uber Elder and hitting level 100 in a flash, wondering if the game can offer them any REAL challenge.
Rufalius, hybrid Aura/Arc/Mana Guardian | Hemorae, TS Raider | Wuru, Ele Hit Wand Trickster
Thanks.
US Mountain Time Zone
I love it ! Would it be possible to have a bit more technical infos ? I guess I'm not the only coder here and I'm super interested into how generate your flow maps, the foam, and so on.

Your waves already inspired me to do this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwHon2FViTk
And now I want to do rivers too. :D
Last edited by Gregouar on Aug 17, 2018, 6:03:37 PM
Very impressive! :)

I think it may be the most realistic water I've seen in a game yet! :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info