[3.3] The Pyromaniac - Blast rain / Rain of Arrow Trap - All endgame content

INTRODUCTION:
Blast rain + trap is not a new mechanic and has been proving to be a very good boss killer setup, however, the clunky trap cooldown and blast rain delay have refrain many players from trying it. With the introduction of Incursion, trap cooldown has been removed and Blast rain also receives some hefty buff (now 100% fire conversion and penetrate 25% fire res at lv20), along with reworked Rain of arrows, spamming 20+ traps at a time feels pretty satisfied now.

===VIDEOS===
Spoiler

Quick show case video against 4 guardians and shaper:
https://youtu.be/tfcF7HNrh_w

Uber elder:
Spoiler

...Never thought i could kill uber elder in league, not deathless but it's doable, will make a new vid soon.

===MECHANIC===
Spoiler

Nothing too crazy here:

-+-Blast rain and RoA are both bow skills, therefore we need a bow and Trap support gem to turn them into traps.

-+-Chin Sol is an obvious choice and is our main weapon. With 100% more bow damage at close range + Point Blank keystone, you will almost always benefit from 150% more projectile damage since your Projectile range is calculated from your trap's location.

-+-As the title has stated, we will mainly focus our build in fire damage and penetration. This is very easy for Blast rain as it is now 100% fire conversion, however, RoA needs some specific items to achieve >80% fire conversion. We will discuss this further in Gearing section.

===BEGINNER GUIDE===
Spoiler

You can only use Chin sol at level 62, Blast rain at lv 28 and RoA at lv12. However, leveling with a blast rain or RoA trap is very lackluster. I recommend leveling as Arc trap / Fire trap / Lighting trap and take all generic Trap nodes until you can use Chin sol.
Check leveling progress section below.

===PASSIVE TREE===
Spoiler

-+-BANDITS: Kill all

-+-ASCENDANCY: Saboteur (Chain Reaction -> Pyromaniac -> Born in the shadows)

-+-LEVELING PROGRESS:
- Shadow area:
+ Rush to get Saboteur and Clever Construction nodes:
28pts: www.poeurl.com/b1z5

- Ranger area:
+ Grab Master sapper for +2 traps and Acro/Phase acro
44pts: www.poeurl.com/b1z9
+ Take some life nodes and rush to Point blank

- Duelist area:
* Reason for going to Duelist area: we are basically a crit bow build, therefore, we need accuracy + some projectile damage/speed bonuses from Duelist area.
69pts: www.poeurl.com/b1Aa

- This is where you start going crit:
+ Take all the crit trap/bow nodes back in Ranger and Shadow area.
83pts: www.poeurl.com/b1Ac

- Take the remaining life nodes + elemental penetration nodes as you start mapping.
106pts:www.poeurl.com/b1Ad

- Fill the tree with available jewel sockets

-+-END-GAME TREE:
- Defensive tree with Belly of the Beast, gone through all t16s, guardians and shaper:
www.poeurl.com/b1Ab
- Offensive end-game tree with The Perfect Form, every point counts:
www.poeurl.com/b1z3

===PANTHEON===
Spoiler

-+-MAJOR GOD: Soul of Arakali
CWDT + Bloodrage + Immortal call is a popular setup which trigger Arakali power for 50% increased recovery rate, combined with Saboteur %regen if traps have triggered recently can make you quite tanky.
-+-MINOR GOD: Soul of Ryslatha
Does not really matter, choose anything you like.

===MY GEARS===
Spoiler

===GEAR DISCUSSION===
Spoiler

---BOW---

This one is not even 6L i know, however, try to look for one with increase crit chance explicit since Chin Sol base crit is kinda low. You can try your luck with Corruption chamber in Incursion. Flat phys or any flat added damage is also good, otherwise, just buy a normal one with good roll.

---QUIVER---

Quiver is a good and cheap slot to fill in what you lack in gears/trees like flat life, resistance, crit chance, crit multi, wed....Try to look for one with % Projectile speed as it can reduce the delay before the projectile from Blast rain/Rain of Arrows lands. None of the above quivers worth more than 30 chaos.
If you are following my RoA setup, you need a Black gleam/Signal fire to convert 50% phys to fire.

---HELM---

Hrimnor's Resolve is very good for Blast rain as it grants % fire damage and chill/freeze immunity almost all the time, combined with Saboteur ascendancy, you are now immune to ignite, shock and freeze/chill, which is huge for shaper/uber elder fight. Unfortunately, RoA only benefits from the %fire damage, so you can use any other helm you like.
ENCHANTMENTS:
These are best in slot enchantments for Blast rain and RoA, none are required:
-+- Blast rain: 75% chance for an additional blast.
-+- Rain of Arrows: 15% chance for an additional volley

---ARMOUR---

Belly of the Beast or Kaom's Heart is a good option if you have low health pool (<5k).
Tinkerskin should work too, however, we are already point-starved in passive tree.
The Perfect Form is my current end-game choice as it grants Phase Acro, which saves you 4 points in skill tree and gives you another layer of defense with Arctic armour.

---GLOVES---

Wind of Changes is a cheap option (life, proj damage/speed), i use it all the way to lv90, though its not very good because of the movement speed penalty. Shaper gloves with additional trap at a time give you higher dps potential, however, it is not required. Since Incursion, you can find gloves with %phys converted to fire quite easily if you are playing RoA.

---BOOTS---

Typical life + triple res rare boots.

---JEWELRIES---

Things to prioritize: Life > Flat damage > Accuracy > Crit chance/multi > % penetration (shaped mod) > % phys as extra damage (shaped mod).
Shaped amulet with %penetration or %phys as extra damage provides highest dps potential, but it's rather expensive, make it your end-game goal only.
It's worth mentioning that Xolph's blood is a very good option, both offensive and defensive, also saves you some effort of converting Phys to fire, not very cheap though.

---JEWELS---

These are examples for jewel sockets, you should always prioritize life than flat damage. Remember that all flat damage will receive 100% more damage bonus from Chin sol.
Watcher's eye with Crit multi or % penetration while affected by Anger is bis for both Blast rain or RoA. You can also get one with %phys converted to fire for your RoA.

---FLASKS---

Nothing special here, typical flask setup, you can easily achieve 100%+ fire penetration with Wise oak if you are using Blast rain.

===GEMS===
Spoiler

BLAST RAIN

Trap - Blast rain - Cluster trap - Trap & Mine damage - WED - Elemental Focus/Combustion

RAIN OF ARROWS

Trap - Rain of Arrows - Cluster trap - Fire penetration - WED - Elemental Focus/Combustion

AURA

Adjust Clarity level up to your preference.

CWDT

We use 2 cwdt setups here, one to apply Enfeeble, one to trigger Soul of Arakali pantheon.

MOVEMENT

SUPPORT

Scorching ray totem for distraction and additional fire penetration or Bear trap for increased trap damage taken. Ice golem for accuracy and crit chance. (Don't link Ice golem with Spell totem).

===FAQ===
Spoiler

1/ How to deal with mana problems ?:
Spoiler

You will probably get mana problem if you're not using Tinkerskin. Here are what I'm doing:
+ Use Clarity.

+ Use Elreon ring. Since Incursion, you can easily find rings with "- total mana cost" mod in the temple.

+ Use jewels with reduced mana cost of skills (currently using 2 of these):

Watcher's eye with Clarity "- total mana cost" or "% chance to recover" is also a good option.

===OTHER===
Spoiler

Contact me in game @LostInYourEyes

My other build:
[3.3] The Swordmaster - Dual-wield crit Champion / Slayer
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2036681
Last edited by Brown14 on Aug 9, 2018, 8:50:15 PM
Last bumped on Aug 17, 2018, 9:51:43 AM
I'm really interested in Blast Rain. Can you say that this is a viable league starter next league? Yeah I know that BOWS are so much rarer than any weapon but I really like Blast Rain as a skill.
"
xDeicidium wrote:
I'm really interested in Blast Rain. Can you say that this is a viable league starter next league? Yeah I know that BOWS are so much rarer than any weapon but I really like Blast Rain as a skill.

I've been playing this build all league, very cheap to start, the only required piece is Chin sol, which ranges from 10-15chaos early in league.
Just resp a char into something similar, very strong build, fairly cheap to start with and easy to go through all endgame. Would recommend 10/10
The World is but an illusion, exile

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info