Gain % of Physical damage as Extra Elemental questions!

I've been toying with Ice Golem and trying to find ways to improve their damage.

Somebody told me that Hatred aura is good with them because it adds 35% extra Cold damage based on their high Melee Physical damage. True? It's very hard for me to tell because the Extra Cold damage don't seem to Freeze. I know they Chill but I think it's from the Chilled Ground effect?

This brings to 2nd question. I put in Added Fire damage support which gains 35% Extra Fire damage based on their Melee Physical damage (assuming Cartwheel is 100% Physical).

If Ice Golem does 100 Physical Cartwheel damage. Does it mean, it now does 175 damage (35 extra cold and 35 extra fire)?

Now 3rd question. It gets more complicated. If I put in Melee Physical damage support which gives 40% more Melee Physical damage. Does it mean

100 x 40% = 140 extra physical
Then 140 x 35% extra fire = 49
140 x 35% extra cold = 49

total new damage is around = 238 damage?

Or, it means 100 + 49 More Physical + 35 Fire + 35 Cold = 219 damage?

I also found out that Innervate doesn't work with Pets? I can't tell. I believe it has a lightning graphic / aura when it's proc but I don't see it on Ice golem when I slot Physical to Lighting supper and Innervate. :(

I am seeing pretty good damage increase when I slot Added Fire damage support but I have yet to see any monsters being Ignited. Why is that? I don't see any monsters dead with burning bodies.

Last edited by chinesefoodverygood on Jul 21, 2018, 7:26:24 PM
Last bumped on Jul 25, 2018, 5:38:23 PM
The reason you don't see ailments is because your minions usually have no added chance to apply ailments except for their stupidly low crit chance. Socketing elemental proliferation should change that though.

The first of the calculations is correct. Except for very few exceptions, "more" always is multiplicative and "increased" is additive.

As for damage increases for golems, obvious ones would be minion speed and minion damage. Multistrike could work aswell, but I have no idea how good it'd be.
You might want to look up the primordial jewels if you're going for a golem build.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
I thought if you deal enough elemental damage, there is a chance to see aliment? With Added Fire damage, their based Fire damage should still be pretty high (assuming Cartwheel does all Physical).

I thought it's a bug or something. I have yet to see any enemies being Ignited. So, you can see Ignite with Added Fire Damage Support right even without critical?
"
I thought if you deal enough elemental damage, there is a chance to see aliment?

No. You need to do some "parental" damage (e.g. fire) in order to be able to inflict the corresponding ailment (e.g. ignite). But the amount of that damage is irrelevant for your chance to inflict that ailment. When you have a 5 percent chance to ignite it's 5 percent regardless if you do 1 firedamage or 1 billion. (OK, when your inflicting elemental damage is very low compared to the mobs hp, the ailment will not be very effective or last only a millisecond or won't bypass the hp threshhold. But other than that it really doesn't matter. Let's be real and say 100k inflicting damage is basically the same as 1 million inflicting damage.)

In the case of ignite not even the magnitude of the ailment depends on the inflicting hit, but in the case of chill, freeze and shock it does. (I admit, that's the hard part to understand. It was different in the past, then ignite became op, then GGG changed the mechanics in order to nerf it and now the way the different ailments scale their magnitude is really rather counterintuitive.)

To summarize:

The game asks three questions. 1) "Will the hit inflict an ailment?" 2) "How big of an ailment will it be?" 3) "How long will it last?".
For 1) the percent chance to crit/ignite/freeze/shock matters. For 2) and 3) a lot of different things matter depending on the concrete ailment (ignite on the one hand and freeze/ shock on the other hand work differently.)

"

With Added Fire damage, their based Fire damage should still be pretty high (assuming Cartwheel does all Physical).

Added fire doesn't alter the physical damage in any way, shape or form. It's just adding fire on top of it. (e.g. the skill does 100 phys damage without added fire, with added fire it will do 100 phys and 40 fire.) Is it "high" firedmg? Idk. It's significantly more than zero and significantly less than what a full fire build dishes out. Is it enough to inflict ignite? Yes. The amount doesn't matter. But you need % chance to ignite (or crit) too.

"

I thought it's a bug or something. I have yet to see any enemies being Ignited. So, you can see Ignite with Added Fire Damage Support right even without critical?

The ignite animation on enemies is always the same. If they burn, you see it. The source of the ignite is irrelevant. Minions simply don't have a good % chance to ignite (or crit).
dedadadadedoodoodoo is all i want to say to you
Last edited by tweedledee111 on Jul 24, 2018, 8:26:59 AM
"
tweedledee111 wrote:
"
I thought if you deal enough elemental damage, there is a chance to see aliment?

No. You need to do some "parental" damage (e.g. fire) in order to be able to inflict the corresponding ailment (e.g. ignite). But the amount of that damage is irrelevant for your chance to inflict that ailment. When you have a 5 percent chance to ignite it's 5 percent regardless if you do 1 firedamage or 1 billion. (OK, when your inflicting elemental damage is very low compared to the mobs hp, the ailment will not be very effective or last only a millisecond or won't bypass the hp threshhold. But other than that it really doesn't matter. Let's be real and say 100k inflicting damage is basically the same as 1 million inflicting damage.)

In the case of ignite not even the magnitude of the ailment depends on the inflicting hit, but in the case of chill, freeze and shock it does. (I admit, that's the hard part to understand. It was different in the past, then ignite became op, then GGG changed the mechanics in order to nerf it and now the way the different ailments scale their magnitude is really rather counterintuitive.)

To summarize:

The game asks three questions. 1) "Will the hit inflict an ailment?" 2) "How big of an ailment will it be?" 3) "How long will it last?".
For 1) the percent chance to crit/ignite/freeze/shock matters. For 2) and 3) a lot of different things matter depending on the concrete ailment (ignite on the one hand and freeze/ shock on the other hand work differently.)

"

With Added Fire damage, their based Fire damage should still be pretty high (assuming Cartwheel does all Physical).

Added fire doesn't alter the physical damage in any way, shape or form. It's just adding fire on top of it. (e.g. the skill does 100 phys damage without added fire, with added fire it will do 100 phys and 40 fire.) Is it "high" firedmg? Idk. It's significantly more than zero and significantly less than what a full fire build dishes out. Is it enough to inflict ignite? Yes. The amount doesn't matter. But you need % chance to ignite (or crit) too.

"

The ignite animation on enemies is always the same. If they burn, you see it. The source of the ignite is irrelevant. Minions simply don't have a good % chance to ignite (or crit).

I tried Elemental Aliment support and Golems are causing aliments! However, I tried Physical to Lightning support + Innervate. I have not noticed any Innervate even though I see a lot of Shocked enemies dead. If I remember correctly, Innervate has a some kind of lightning aura when it happens?

Ice Bite and Ice Golem are pretty cool combo! On rare maps against Enemies reflect Physical damage, I changed Ice Golem's damage to more Lightning and Fire to reduce damage taken. Fire golem is so lucky that they don't have to deal with Reflect! curses!!
"
However, I tried Physical to Lightning support + Innervate. I have not noticed any Innervate even though I see a lot of Shocked enemies dead. If I remember correctly, Innervate has a some kind of lightning aura when it happens?

If you support a golem's skill with Innervate, the golem will get Innervation when the golem kills a shocked enemy. I don't recall right now whether Innervation has any graphical effect; but you definitely can't expect to get Innervation on your character like this.
"
Abdiel_Kavash wrote:
"
However, I tried Physical to Lightning support + Innervate. I have not noticed any Innervate even though I see a lot of Shocked enemies dead. If I remember correctly, Innervate has a some kind of lightning aura when it happens?

If you support a golem's skill with Innervate, the golem will get Innervation when the golem kills a shocked enemy. I don't recall right now whether Innervation has any graphical effect; but you definitely can't expect to get Innervation on your character like this.

Oh no, I knew that pet's kill won't give me Innervate. I just didn't notice any graphic with Innervate on my Ice Golem. Maybe it does? Very hard to tell to see if Innervate buff is on or not.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info