GGPK File Format

Is there any kind of documentation available about GGPK file format?

Hi,

I'm software engineer that has too much time to spare. I'm also a huge fan of Path of Exile. There are some great applications and services that makes this game even better like Path of Building and FilterBlade. However those are not enough for me and my ambition. I would like to take things to next level and make everything even easier for everyone!

What I'm looking for is some kind of documentation about GGPK file format. That would be good foundation for all sort of applications. I don't want to modify ggpk file in any way but to parse up to date information out of it. That would probably make possible to check new items, divination cards etc. that have been added as new patches come. It would make item filter designing much more convenient. Also checking monster life levels and many other things like that when designing new character builds would help new players a LOT!

I have tried googling this whole issue lately and haven't been able to figure out too much. I believe that if this kind of information (monster life levels etc) would be available more easily it would help many new players to actually get into this game and stick into it.

I found several years old project called VisualGGPK2 but it's outdated not too useful.

Releasing information of GGPK format can't be security issue because hackers can reverse engineer as it currently is if they want. For us honest designers that would be too much effort.

So could it be possible to get information about how that huge file is formatted so one could parse information out from it? :)

Also I apologize if this is not correct place to rise this question. I wonder if there is some kind of support email I could ask this question too?
Last bumped on Jun 19, 2018, 9:30:34 PM
Don't bump it mate....if you need to know you should email support and they will tell you what's what (if they will tell you or not)

Gut feeling is they won't, the because hackers can reverse engineer is a BS argument as well, sure they can but you don't need to make it easy for them.
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
I’ve never known a developer to appreciate dataminers; it’s easy to stumble upon a string referring to a feature which has already been cancelled and I’ve seen cases of both people being excited about something which the company had no plans to release, and communities getting angry about changes which the company had already changed its mind about. The most common consequence of datamining is Community Managers losing the ability to decide when upcoming changes will be announced, and I’ve seen GGG comment on their frustration at this in the past.

You even touch on one of the problems with datamining - alluding to being able to ascertain information the developers have specifically chosen not to share with the community. I can’t fathom why you expect them to help you. The lack of self-awareness is really rather remarkable.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
"
lagwin1980 wrote:
Don't bump it mate....if you need to know you should email support and they will tell you what's what (if they will tell you or not)

Gut feeling is they won't, the because hackers can reverse engineer is a BS argument as well, sure they can but you don't need to make it easy for them.

I don't think my argument about reverse engineering is BS. If you have ever studied software development or worked in the field you should know that there is no reason to "make it hard". If one tries to "hide" information without proper cryptography algorithms it's just putting tinfoil hat on your head and hoping the best. It's not real security in any sense. People can figure things out with some effort and share that information with others and then all your designing and "security" is wasted. One should put his efforts to make game secure in some other ways (like simply checking the hash code of the file) and not by hiding format of files that are delivered to every player.
"
Sarno wrote:
I’ve never known a developer to appreciate dataminers; it’s easy to stumble upon a string referring to a feature which has already been cancelled and I’ve seen cases of both people being excited about something which the company had no plans to release, and communities getting angry about changes which the company had already changed its mind about. The most common consequence of datamining is Community Managers losing the ability to decide when upcoming changes will be announced, and I’ve seen GGG comment on their frustration at this in the past.

You even touch on one of the problems with datamining - alluding to being able to ascertain information the developers have specifically chosen not to share with the community. I can’t fathom why you expect them to help you. The lack of self-awareness is really rather remarkable.

I never thought of the marketing aspect of this thing. I have not been around very long and don't know the past problems that have occured. I just bumbed into some old project (VisualGGPK2) in path of exile wiki and got the impression that it's not forbidden to data mine various information.

Getting easy access to data that has been released would improve community tools greatly. That would benefit everyone in the end. If they don't want to release some information in advance there would be a simple trick to achieve it. Just don't release it in advance! And even if that would be impossible for some weird reason that exchange could still be acceptable.

Nevertheless I'm sorry to hear both of your answers to my opening post. It's sad if such basic information cannot be shared to community.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info