0.9.6h Patch Notes

Version 0.9.6h
  • Once a player has been in an instance for 40 seconds, they are now disconnected if they encounter six seconds of lag. This is to protect them from unnecessary deaths and applies to characters in all leagues, not just hardcore ones.
  • Set up the league rules for this weekend's competition. See Beta Status forum as usual.
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
Six sec still seems like plenty of time. Maybe try to lower heart beat to 3s?
Mirror of Kalandra?
"
ama wrote:

Currently players get a disconnection due to this every 12.7 hours on average (which are hopefully due to actual lag timeouts rather than false positives!)

If we disconnect people after 3 seconds, then we'll have 4.2x the rate of disconnections (every 3 hours on average). We know this because the patch also added logging of long heartbeat replies.

In the future we may allow players to pick their personal tolerance (more disconnects or less disconnects).

On a side note, it appears that this change has not increased the rate that players are being disconnected overall, which is good (i.e. it's only saving more lives).
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
Last edited by Chris on Mar 8, 2012, 1:39:42 AM
"
Chris wrote:
In the future we may allow players to pick their personal tolerance (more disconnects or less disconnects).

This would be fantastic!

Why the 40 seconds before the new 6s mechanic works, though?
Disregard witches, aquire currency.
Last edited by dust7 on Mar 8, 2012, 4:00:52 AM

Why the 40 seconds before the new 6s mechanic works, though?[/quote]

If I were to hazard a guess it would be to help accomodate the folks that get a lot of the out of memory errors when loading a new area. The current work around for that is to manualy extend the length of time it takes to load the new area iirc. So Im not sure at what point the game actually considers you in the new area when loading in.
Luke: Sorry we have to leave you here, but it just ain't right to eat your wife's and daughter's brains. Plus you're really disgusting and I don't want to spend anymore time with you.
We have found that some players get a lot of client side lag spikes when first joining an area for the first few frames. We were not able to find any reliable way of knowing when this is going to occur in order to defer the first heartbeats until after this period.

For some players these loading spikes can take 10-15 seconds per frame. This is why previously the timeout was set to 20 seconds.

In order to be sure that we are past that fuzzy front end for a few players, we use a 40 second join timer effectively as a hack to get around this problem. We may have a better solution in the future.
Path of Exile - Lead Programmer
By the way, what happens when you alt+f4? Does this count as a disconnect or as logging off?
Disregard witches, aquire currency.
I notice this latency spikes too ater travelling between areas. I cant say if it happens always since I dont have F1 always active, but at least it is very common.

If we can help investigating in any way, let me know.
invited by timer @ 10.12.2011
--
deutsche Community: www.exiled.eu & ts.exiled.eu
"
ama wrote:

it's not 6 sec, it's 46 sec

"
Once a player has been in an instance for 40 seconds...

the 6 sec timer only starts after 40 sec have passed so it's 46 seconds. this is horridly long when you're not loading in correctly and monsters are beating on you.
Hi there,

pls add an option to activate/deactivate this new "Disconnect" feature.
I dont play hardcore, just default and to be honest i dont need it.

But even worse, this new feature is going to annoy me a lot.
I do realy often alt+tab out of the game to the forum/skype/whatever and if i tab back im on the login screen. losing all my progress and have to move back where i was or even worse, all progress in this instance is gone.

I realy understand why this feature is needed for hardcore and i dont want it to removed or so. But please, do us a favour and let it be optional.

With this new patch, i need to fix it by myself and change my instance all the time to a fresh new one to get the 40sec timer for my alt+tab.

This is annoying ;/
English is my third language, there will be bugs.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info