Uber Lab Client Crashes - Nobody Expects Perfection

"
Datachanger wrote:
Even then, iirc, the client timeout is 6 seconds? Emulating 6 seconds of nothing is not very hardcore friendly.

Hardcore is not the point here though.
so your suggestion is to put everybody who got disconnected from the 6sec timer back in the lab on reconnecting ?
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Last edited by Fruz on Jan 6, 2019, 9:22:39 PM
"
Datachanger wrote:
Hello!

Three times today, while helping my fellow exiles with uber lab, I got a client crash. When a client crash happens, it is immensely frustrating given how lab is designed.

I understand there's always going to be crashes. No code is perfect. But can there be a system to help mitigate the problem? That's that I suggest.

The game already has a way to distinguish the difference between a manual logout versus a client crash -- six second(?) grace period versus user input. How about when the grace period expires, when the user logs back in, prompt them if they want to return to the lab at the last zone point. Or, heck, return them automatically.

Pros:
Much, much less frustrating on the player-base, and time/money isn't wasted.

Cons:
This can be quite hard to handle, server side. What happens if the person client crashed one minute before the lab resets? Do they get put back in the old lab or new? How does the server distinguish? (This might be why this feature has not been implemented. I would guess new tech is needed to extend a lockout for 30 minutes, or something.)

Regardless, something needs to be done to help this atrocity.
Otherwise, great league, GGG!

-Data

Don't expect anything from this community, for the most part they are childish peons.

For what it's worth, everything you've said is correct.
my evasion is so high i only insta rip sometimes
-----
Bug Fixes:
People were using cyclone for actual melee builds, so we nerfed it and made blade vortex. Also, we went ahead and made cyclone great for CoC casters while we were at it.
"
Legatus1982 wrote:

Don't expect anything from this community, for the most part they are childish peons.

thats a little vague isnt it?
Trust your mind and strengthen your abilities!
"
MrsDeath_ wrote:
"
Legatus1982 wrote:

thats a little vague isnt it?

Eh. People like to lash out when their feelings get hurt.
I mean you can easily emulate a DC by just turning off your internet, no?

Maybe it could take a savestate of your lab, flasks, cooldowns, and hp included, and put you in exactly the same spot with a 10s frozen grace period? I mean I guess you could use it to cheat by letting a party member save you from a bad situation, but that's getting a little contrived.
"
Datachanger wrote:
Hello!

Three times today, while helping my fellow exiles with uber lab, I got a client crash. When a client crash happens, it is immensely frustrating given how lab is designed.

I understand there's always going to be crashes. No code is perfect. But can there be a system to help mitigate the problem? That's that I suggest.

The game already has a way to distinguish the difference between a manual logout versus a client crash -- six second(?) grace period versus user input. How about when the grace period expires, when the user logs back in, prompt them if they want to return to the lab at the last zone point. Or, heck, return them automatically.

Pros:
Much, much less frustrating on the player-base, and time/money isn't wasted.

Cons:
This can be quite hard to handle, server side. What happens if the person client crashed one minute before the lab resets? Do they get put back in the old lab or new? How does the server distinguish? (This might be why this feature has not been implemented. I would guess new tech is needed to extend a lockout for 30 minutes, or something.)

Regardless, something needs to be done to help this atrocity.
Otherwise, great league, GGG!

-Data

It would be nice to have an option (as checkbox in options menu) to prevent logout from lab on disconnection or alt F4 - at least, for several minutes. So disconnected player will have a chance to reconnect and continue. Obviously, his character must stay in the game all that time (as opposed to instant logout), or it wont be "fair". If he survives few minutes being AFK, he deserves the right to continue! I bet, Izaro would have approved that!
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
Nobody expects spanish inquisition!
Although I think very few people would use this as an option.

Maybe that is why GGG will not consider it. They probably think it creates complexity (~having choice also means people will choose wrong and then ... yeah, complain on the forum)
"
aldorus wrote:
Nobody expects spanish inquisition!

Trust your mind and strengthen your abilities!
This is a fundamental design flaw, without question. Good design works around your game's limitations; it doesn't HIGHLIGHT them.

About two minutes ago I get this. And I don't even run Lab that often. This is literally the first time I've run Lab in Betrayal.

Wash your hands, Exile!
"
Fruz wrote:
so your suggestion is to put everybody who got disconnected from the 6sec timer back in the lab on reconnecting ?

Yup. Probably not exactly where the player was; that would be so much more development effort for so little gain. Simply at the last zone point would suffice.

"
gibbousmoon wrote:
This is a fundamental design flaw, without question. Good design works around your game's limitations; it doesn't HIGHLIGHT them.

About two minutes ago I get this. And I don't even run Lab that often. This is literally the first time I've run Lab in Betrayal.

I agree 100% about game design hiding flaws and showcasing strengths. Lab has many showcased strengths, but this particular flaw that shines through hurts. When the player can do literally nothing to prevent loss of time and loot and frankly, morality, it is, well... demoralizing.

...At least three times (I stopped counting), this league. It really hurt, especially when you are carrying someone. Wasting your time and theirs is frustrating.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info