Why does my build suck? (Arc Trapper)

https://pastebin.com/qSE7iqZJ

I'm in the midst of readjusting my tree so I know the tree is out of sorts but I'm having problems with single target on my flame trap or explosive trap, I've tried both.

I seem durable enough but I'd like to have to devote less to survivability and more to murdering my enemies. I'm hitting a wall in yellow tier maps re: Architects and the damage in these incursions is ridonk. Everything else seems to die ok.

Any feedback, even snark, is fine. Please just tell me what I can tweak to get this right. First time trapper. :D
Last bumped on Jun 12, 2018, 6:28:54 AM
"
Razlynne wrote:
https://pastebin.com/qSE7iqZJ

I'm in the midst of readjusting my tree so I know the tree is out of sorts but I'm having problems with single target on my flame trap or explosive trap, I've tried both.

I seem durable enough but I'd like to have to devote less to survivability and more to murdering my enemies. I'm hitting a wall in yellow tier maps re: Architects and the damage in these incursions is ridonk. Everything else seems to die ok.

Any feedback, even snark, is fine. Please just tell me what I can tweak to get this right. First time trapper. :D

I'm no pro, so bare with me.

One of the largest, most glaring flaws is that you path for crit multi (Blast Cascade wheel) while also having Elemental overload meaning all that multi is useless. You should either aim for a crit build , in which case you lack a LOT of crit chance, or remove it entirely (which i think/assume would be weaker, although still viable).

The pathing at the top of the witch is... I don't even know how to describe it, but it's pretty awful, but I'll assume you have that because you said you're adjusting the tree. https://pastebin.com/56SPW3uB This is the tree I came up with, it's similar to yours, and utilizes crit arc. Even with no gear ends up with a solid 41% crit and 314% crit multi. Jewel sockets are typically better than normal wheels on the tree if they are within 2 skill points. Tree may not be 100% ideal as I'm faaaaaaaaaaaar from a trapper expert.

Finally your gear. Aim for a wand/dagger/sceptre(maybe...?) with 80+ spell crit chance, and either get 2 of those or get an ES shield with spell crit/life/resists as needed. Your helmet/gloves/boots are lacking in a lot of life, probably easily fixable for a chaos a piece. Try to get crit multi on your amulet, along with high life. For flasks you want 1-2 life flasks(upgrade those colossal life flasks please...) Your quicksilver is fine, a DIAMOND flask (this is super important for every crit build) and a mana flask as needed, once you get comfortable swap a life flask out for another damage and/or utility/defence one. Jewels you want to get as much crit multi as you can afford (they get damn expensive with 2-4 multi rolls on them) and then life/spell/lightning damage as available. Also, try to quality your gems when possible, it adds a lot of damage to your build.

Hope this helps, and hopefully someone more experienced with traps in particular can chime in and fix whatever I don't have quite right.
https://poe.ninja/challenge/builds/char/dangerouszone/FAIRLEAGUE?i=1&search=class%3DSaboteur

I'm also running an arc trapper and just basically copied this guy. He has better gear than me and pathed a bit different. But ultimately we have the same damage nodes.Due to arc and lightning trap being able to take advantage of similar trees.

Also I was running rare rings,but then switched to essence worm and call of the brotherhood. BOTH rings made my damage spike super freaking hard. Get both if you can. Also a cheap upgrade to your build would be to get similar wands WITH added trap damage.

Also you dont have expiditous munitions and dont have chain reaction. Having chain really spiked my damage massively.

Besides these things, you need a diamond flask. Crit multi on your amulet. A 6L would help you a lot. Seriously get a tabula or a cheap regalia and craft it. Its only an exalt. Besides these things, I would say to make sure you have a tri-damage abyss jewel in your stygian vise.

It has a lot to do with your gear choices and choices on the tree. As said before, it's hard to know where to even begin explaining what's going wrong here, but I'll do my best.

Example
I think it would be easier to give you an example of my build. It is very much an Arc Trapper in the classic sense, using Tinkerskin, Eldritch Battery, Mind over Matter and the Saboteur ascendancy class, but I've also gone through all the mathematical calculations to maximise passive node value efficiency. That doesn't mean just the highest numbers, it means the best ratio when it comes to the important numbers. Priorities etc.

My build as follows (POB): https://pastebin.com/fXYSb2PY
Note: The gear is just a pointer. There is no way to say which is best, it all depends on what you find or what you can afford.

Viva la Resistance!
First and foremost, the resistances. Always cap them, but also try to overcap them by 30%, so that you are safe even while cursed, if possible. Capping resistances is absolutely vital and can under no circumstances be ignored.

Path of Life Nodes
Life very important for all builds apart from a few exceptions (CI/Low Life etc)
If you are close to any life cluster, you should probably go for it. You deal no damage while you're dead and life is your first line of defense. (Or technically the last line)

En Garde!
After the above two, you should consider other means of defenses. Life alone is just a pool, a buffer. Evasion, armour, energy shield, dodge, mind over matter as well as resistances are what you call mitigation. They reduce the amount of or frequency of the damage sustained to your life pool.

So how are you going to realistically survive? Always have at least 3 layers of defense in Path of Exile. Life and resistances are two, the third is one of the above at the very least, but more is always better. My build for example has 5 layers of defense: Life, Mana (MoM), Resistances, Evasion (through Blind) and Dodge (incl. Spells) from (Phase) Acrobatics. To support and sustain these defenses, I have the massive regen that Saboteur provides and Tinkerskin.

Once you have all these covered, then and only then, do you even start considering your damage!

The Big Deeps
For damage nodes, you have to understand what your plan is. How are you going to deal damage? Traps that fire off Arc. Arc is a spell, deals lightning damage and chains. It is not a projectile, it does not cover an area. This means you will want to go for trap damage, elemental damage and spell damage first and foremost. Area of effect and area damage will not affect Arc, as it does not have the AOE tag, and projectile damage also does not apply to it. Also, as you're using traps, so cast speed does not matter at all. Value is important, Path of Building helps easily identify the value of each stat.

Example: You are going for a crit build, so critical strike chance is very important, but if you really want to do damage, critical strike multiplier is where the real value comes from. Once you start dipping into 30-40% effective chance to crit numbers, it's much more valuable to add more multiplier than to add more chance. Both help, but you can't roll both on your gear so making the right choice can make a lot of difference. Try it out in Path of Building: Add 50% crit chance on your gear vs 25% crit multiplier, you'll see which is better.

There are other, very valuable ways to increase your damage that the tooltip may not show you at all. Have you ever tried adding Lightning Penetration to your gem links? You perhaps saw the tooltip not go up and thought it must be bad. It's absolutely not, but it doesn't apply to tooltip simply because there's no way to indicate penetration on a mathematical DPS formula without knowing the target's defenses. As is doesn't affect your spell, but rather the enemy hit by it, the tooltip doesn't calculate it in, but it may very well be the best damage upgrade! Curses also help a lot, but bosses will be highly resistant to them, so penetration is still much more important than curses.

Critical Mass
Before you think about Elemental Overload, here's something to consider: You deal lightning damage, which can Shock. Shock increases the damage taken by the enemy by at most 50%, depending on the damage of the hit in correspondence with the total life of the enemy. (e.g. it's harder to fully (50%) shock a bulky boss than it is to shock the average rare mob)
For Shock to work, you need chance to shock, but critical hits automatically have 100% chance to apply their ailments. This makes crit multiplier even better, because not only do you hit harder, you also have a higher chance to apply the maximum shock effect (50%) on the highest life targets (bosses), thus increasing your damage further still. The snowball effect. ;)

This means that if you were to go Elemental Overload, you'd probably not invest in crit at all anymore and have 6% base crit chance. This in turn means shocks will be much less frequent and this will reduce your overall damage, especially on bosses. Crits may require a lot of investment in both points and gear, but they are massively worth it in the end, especially on lightning damage dealing builds. Shock is just that good.

Disclaimer: Arc is a bit of a special case, because it has innate chance to shock on quality of the gem and Vaal Arc is a very good source of advanced shocks, so Elemental Overload in this case is still very much a viable way to go, but my point is that you should take both into consideration first. In my opinion, the way of the crit still works much better, even at low budgets, but especially so at high budgets.

With all the above in mind, the trick is to find a path on the skill tree that maximises effect per point cost. It's why the game is called PoE, Path of Efficiency, no?

One last tip: When in doubt, always go for the most defensive option in PoE. Despite what reading guide titles or watching streamers may make you believe, you do NOT need millions of DPS to be successful in PoE. What you do need, what everyone needs, is to survive. If you want to be good at the game, start there. :)

Feel free to ask me any questions on here or in-game if you need any more pointers, I'd be happy to assist you. Good luck and keep on trappin'!
Carry on my waypoint son, there'll be peace when maps are done.
Lay your portal gem to rest, don't you die no more.

'Cause it's a bitter sweet symphony this league.
Try to make maps meet, you're a slave to the meta, then you leave.
Last edited by Xavathos on Jun 12, 2018, 6:22:46 AM
"
https://poe.ninja/challenge/builds/char/dangerouszone/FAIRLEAGUE?i=1&search=class%3DSaboteur

I'm also running an arc trapper and just basically copied this guy. He has better gear than me and pathed a bit different. But ultimately we have the same damage nodes.Due to arc and lightning trap being able to take advantage of similar trees.

Also I was running rare rings,but then switched to essence worm and call of the brotherhood. BOTH rings made my damage spike super freaking hard. Get both if you can. Also a cheap upgrade to your build would be to get similar wands WITH added trap damage.

Also you dont have expiditous munitions and dont have chain reaction. Having chain really spiked my damage massively.

Besides these things, you need a diamond flask. Crit multi on your amulet. A 6L would help you a lot. Seriously get a tabula or a cheap regalia and craft it. Its only an exalt. Besides these things, I would say to make sure you have a tri-damage abyss jewel in your stygian vise.

Some good pointers regarding the Essence Worm and Chain Reaction vs trigger radius.

However, Call of the Brotherhood actually doesn't increase your damage much at all.

+ The upside of the ring is that 40% of your Arc damage is cold, so you can chill and freeze as well as shock. This makes it safer.
- The downside is that 40% of your Arc damage is cold, so your shocks will be harder to apply with less damage being raw lightning damage, which results in a damage loss in places where it really matters, bosses.
- The other downside is that when you run any kind of specific penetration gems (which you should) you'd need both lightning and cold pen to get the same effect as just lightning pen would provide without the ring.

All in all, the biggest upside isn't worth much on an Arc Trapper, because our damage is so insane that chill isn't going to make anything safer at all. The only thing is shattered corpses can't be exploded, but the downsides still apply. Call of the Brotherhood shines on self casters that have to stand still to deal their damage. I love the ring, I wish it was good on this build, but it just isn't so.

A better suggestion for a unique ring, if any, would be The Taming, but it's incredibly expensive and I think an Opal ring of the same price would still be better.

Personally, I use Essence Worm and Ming's Heart, but I just want to be safe vs chaos. It's my only defensive gap. It's worth the damage loss to me right now.

Also, with all (170%) increased trigger AOE passives from the tree, the trigger radius is 16. With a single Hair Trigger of at least 54% increased trigger AOE (for a total of 224%), that turns into 18. Below is an example of how big 18 radius is:

Spoiler
Carry on my waypoint son, there'll be peace when maps are done.
Lay your portal gem to rest, don't you die no more.

'Cause it's a bitter sweet symphony this league.
Try to make maps meet, you're a slave to the meta, then you leave.
Last edited by Xavathos on Jun 12, 2018, 8:11:43 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info