[3.3] Arc (Or Any Spell) Trapper – Uber-Lab-CARRY/Runner @ Lvl 75 (Bladefall also Showcased)

Oh btw what pantheons i gonna have cant see that on your guide or im maybe blind now again ;)?
For Pantheons:
Major Gods:
Solaris with at minimum 2 captured souls - Top Choice
Lunaris is also an option -Again more for Softcore play

Minor Gods:
Sharkari - Top Choice with it's captured soul
Ralakesh - Close Second if Bleeding is scarier than Caustic Clouds
Tukohama - Only other consideration for a more relaxed playstyle in Softcore is ok if you are playing the build as a facetanker (Not recommended)

Explaination:
Spoiler
This build can be played Rolling the dice and standing in place, or running and gunning which I think is safer. Also because of the massive damage, I'm more afraid of Big Boss Battles (Vs One Fat Opponent) then I am of swarms... However more things hitting you (like a pack in a lab that you pry should have killed before you ran in) is actually a larger threat on your life because you are only evading so many attacks and you do not have a massive HP pool with this build.
How do you even trigger arcane surge with your herald of thunder aura? You basicaly have to turn off and turn on aura mid fight to trigger arcane surge which is incredibly stupid unless im blind and dont see different option
This is a Huge Oversight. I honestly did not catch this. Strictly built in Path of Building and assumed that it was working as my DPS seemed fantastic. I'm sorry I overlooked this but I will search for a better support Gem For the Herald.

Thanks for the catch.
The Guide has been updated to remove Arcane Surge and instead use Either Decay or Culling strike.

Thank you
Alright so this build guide has a few major oversights. You seem to have a poor understanding of how exactly traps interact with some mechanics.

Traps, mines, and totems do NOT proc herald buffs. Additionally you do not take reflect damage when using traps, totems, or mines. This is because your character is not the one dealing the damage. You can remove any mention of mitigating reflect from your guide.

Because you cannot proc heralds, you are essentially reserving 50% of your mana for the small flat damage boost heralds give you. This choice is also pigeon holing you into using Slavedriver's Hands, which in turn prevents you from using a major dps boost in the form of +1 traps thrown shaper gloves. Additionally because you can never proc heralds, you are not auto cursing with herald of thunder.

Even if you could proc heralds using traps, you are using elemental focus in you arc links, which prevents you from applying status ailments, another requirement for heralds activating.

Putting that aside, I would not recommend this build for hardcore, simply because 4k ehp is just too low. Evasion and dodge are good for preventing damage, but you will eventually get hit, and when you do it is going to leave a mark.

On the topic of gearing, Voidwalker are a very poor choice of boots, if you are attached to the visuals of them I would suggest doing a skin transfer. A good alternative for this would be Three-Step Assualt.

These boots are essentially BIS for evasion builds, because the Evasion during Onslaught mod is actually global. Simply change out one of your flasks, imo Atziri's Promise the weakest, and use a silver flask of warding to provide both onslaught for three-step and curse immune for obvious reasons.

Other possible gearing options are dropping slavedriver's hands for +1 trap thrown shaper gloves. Again this is a global mod which means no matter where your traps are linked, you will always thrown 1 additional trap. This equates to a 25% damage boost using cluster traps. In order to solve your mana issues, you could use a Vaal Clarity, which will charge as you cast off your sizable energy shield pool.

Finally, you could replace your heralds with actual useful auras like grace for extra evasion and movespeed, or blasphemy a curse for tankiness or damage.

Here is a PoB file with changes I would make to your build, without sacrificing your initial idea.

https://pastebin.com/Aapws1Ry

Included in the PoB are tree changes, gear changes, and skill changes. You should 100% take two point jewel sockets, as they are always worth their value.
+1 Trap gloves are likely to be expensive, especially good ones, but I cannot stress enough just how good they are. Besides throwing another trap, theses gloves open up the option for you to run arc in them, as a pseudo-5 link, and then running a single target trap setup in your body armor. I would suggest Lightning Spire Trap, as it melts anything that stands in range, and you can avoid accidentally killing things like Izaro's Lieutenants.

As your build stands, while Uber Lab may not be an issue, you will defiantly run into a wall upon reaching endgame content. Evasion without adequate ehp behind it is only going to get you killed.

Hopefully this helps a bit,
Bomb
Last edited by Bombomon on Jun 13, 2018, 1:23:35 PM
First of all thanks for the guide, eventhough you don't understand all the mechanics yet 100% its still pretty nice for the leveling process and such. I enjoyed it (i am not very educated on that stuff myself yet).
After i saw the post of Bombomon above i started thinking about it and came to the conclusion to follow his tips. So i grabbed the Three-step Assault boots and a pair of +1 traps thrown gloves and its pretty nice to have 2 supported traps available!
I have also looked up other trap guides and decided to swap out Queen of the Forest for a Tinkerskin because it is just too good to not use it in a trap build, especially if you go for ES and eldritch battery + Mind over Matter. I have no problems with my mana/es pool anymore since then without the need to use a vaal clarity.
With all the changes i also feel alot safer, it feels like i am taking way less hits in general and almost lose no health at all most of the time (at least for now in the lower tier maps and of course uberlab which was the whole purpose of this build).

Just wanted to share my thoughts and experiences for other people who do not understand all the mechanics yet either and still want to use your build, or started with your build and feel like something is off outside of uberlab.

Again thanks for the guide JN1K5 and thanks for the improvements from Bombomon + the ingame chat support of him!

edit: guess i could share my equip for people who are interested how it looks now

cost me 1ex, totally worth it
was 50c, 5 link is good enough for now
dont know how much i paid, not much though.. thinking about swapping out the phase run setup for something else, just dont know for what yet. I have phasing from the tinkerskin almost all the time.
didnt really need the clarity yet, might swap it out for something else (maybe flame golem?)
Last edited by blanknator on Jun 14, 2018, 9:34:36 AM
Bombomon,

Thank you very much for your very insightful perspective.

Concerning the guide. I may certainly have overlooked certain mechanics, But can you please refer me to where I could find this information. This is my first guide ever built... And I have played for 2 seasons... I'm totally content admitting there may be some mistakes However I would like you to better explain the flaws, as I'm struggling to find support for all of your perspectives.

Why does changing the spell and damage type not mitigate reflect? While I see your perspective as Valid... Assuming you couldn't change your setup with a few Gem swaps... I don't understand why this doesn't mitigate reflect damage of an opposite type.

I can't seem to find anything about heralds needing to proc status ailments, in fact the main herald of thunder setup I thought specifically states, (Cannot Inflict Shock) and while I am not attacking so there is no attack based damage being driven the Buff to spells/ base damage should apply to traps... or at least I cannot seem to find where you are pulling this information on the heralds not applying.

Furthermore if it is applying base damage to the spells (Which the traps are using and everything else that scales spell damage increases even the tooltip damage) then why would it not trigger Curse on Hit?

Great Suggestion on the Shaped Gloves. The DPS is absolutely better with the gloves than with the Slavedriver's hand. I was trying to keep it within a budget that someone could afford while they were leveling their first char in a league. I didn't feel that this was a necessary expenditure to run Uberlab, and then honestly it was an oversight when restructuring the late game gearing. However these gloves would absolutely be better than running the heralds even if they are running the way that I thought they were... Again please let me know how to check this.

I'm already nearly maxing out my Evasion with my current flasks... why do I need more on the boots at the expense of Energy shield? I would rather have more EHP I think unless I'm missing something. Definitely a better evasion based boot... but as you pointed out we are starved a bit for EHP on this build. Also other than the movement speed... and Onslaught flask gives absolutely no DPS boost.

While I can certainly understand your position that it's not Hardcore Viable for End Game Mapping... It was strictly a league starter meant to farm the Uber Lab... Which I didn't have problems with at level 73... without Jewels even.

You gave an amazing perspective and it was very helpful. I very much appreciate the feedback.

I have not recommended this build for End Game Mapping as I haven't done it. It was strictly designed as a build that is fun to carry Level 85 Chars through Uber lab with right at level 75.

Thanks Again for any response you take the time to write.

I am going to be experimenting with Chaos Damage Spells to Cast on Traps to see if the damage type can be completely swapped.

Last edited by JN1K5 on Jun 16, 2018, 9:47:17 PM
any updates about to make this build

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info