Xbox servers are restarting in:
They should be back up in approximately .

Bear Trap

Post your feedback for this skill here!

Make sure you concisely state your character build, level, and other complimenting abilities you have when you talk about a skill - The more we know about your character, the better we can understand your feedback.
Please email support@grindinggear.com if you need any assistance!

Last bumped on Jan 15, 2024, 1:46:48 AM
Greetings,

I want to know how to scale bear trap damage.

Is there another way to scale bear trap damage than trap damage nodes?

What kind of % increased physycal damage on items affects bear trap?

Thanks.
I noticed that there's a lot of double entries for (changed?) skills - what is the intention behind this? If its really for new versions of these skills, the old threads should at least be locked (no reason to discuss any more since no legacy version of skills can exist). Even better would be, if the old threads are still valid/useful at all, would be to push them into a separate subthread folder, to minimize the 'list'.

And, why not also separate vaal gems from the list?
invited by timer @ 10.12.2011
--
deutsche Community: www.exiled.eu & ts.exiled.eu
could be not bad supportive skill but atm its weak
Necropolis master craft service Necropolis My IGN TreeOfDead
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2037371 Vouch
Necropolis veiled crafting all service all crafts mods
Necropolis SC master craft service Necropolis SC craft mod!
Veiled crafting Service Necropolis craft PM: TreeOfDead
This skill need something better like wider trigger radius area per level or something.
Forum pvp
Saw it. Loved it. Made Build for it. Realized that Saboteur cant use all 8 Ascensions with this. Cried.

No but really either exclude this from Chain Reaction (sad but managable) or (more fun) let them jumt to a reasonably near target if triggered that way, doesnt have to be far ... just more than ... doing nothing

I've seen the complaints about this in PvP but cant you just add a note to it stating it has less effect against players, similar to Temporal Chains ?

Another option of course would be just another skill in the Saboteur to take for Single Tageted Traps like this or Conversion

Idk, Might just be me rambling about an Unpopular Spell, but i love diging out gems like this and making some whacky build around it, thats half the Fun of POE, to me at least. And i loved the idea of throwing these sigle targeted but actually vicious Snappers into a group of enemys and seeing them all bite Down...

Welp guess i have to tinker twice as hard to make this one shine.

I realize traps are not a Popular thing outside of PvP but that might just be because of a lack of Love

Anyways, looking forward to the future, maybe a trap patch is already on the way, maybe some even less used Gem is getting an overhaul, one never knows with GGG and that ... is awsome xD
BrInG BaCk BeAr TrAp
Just feedback on the new Bear Trap of Skewers transfigured gem. Struggling to find a niche use for this. The size of the explosion of reflected damage is so small that it doesn't seem to have clear potential (and can it even be scaled by inc AoE considering the lack of AoE tag on the gem?), the initial hit damage is also low with few ways to scale the added damage beyond skill gem levels and maybe Cannabalised Faith? This results in actually low damage impales from the skill despite the large impale effect modifier in place. Much of the passives on the tree for impales is only for attacks and thus are low value for the skill unfortunately, barring impales last extra hits from ascendancy. And not to mention that the cooldown nature of the skill further increases it's clunkiness and prevents the use of something like Cluster Traps for better AoE or multi-hitting single targets without running out of charges in one trap throw.

There also seems to be a bug with The Impaler that stops it being able to generate impale explosions like it normally does without the keystone on one-shot kills.

This ultimately leaves me wondering what niche this was meant to fill or create? I would love to play a physical impale trapper that chucks this into packs and explodes them into metal shards or stacks big impales on a boss using this skill and then detonating them with Call of Steel or just hits for damage, but this playstyle does not seem to be enabled by the gem in it's current state. Which is a shame because the concept of the gem is brilliant in my opinion, I think it just needs a little stronger base stats or support from elsewhere to boost it's damage - plus having the impaler issue listed above fixed. It could maybe benefit from being a slower thrown trap with increased base damage like the explosive trap of magnitude?

Still major props to whoever came up with the gem, it's for sure an interesting place to take the skill and I hope with some minor changes it can be made viable!
Much of the same feeling as @Nicodaemus for early on.

However I have found that call of steel works quite well with it to overcome some of the issues.

Currently running it with +4 gem levels in act 7 and it's killing white mobs in one shot and blues in 2.

I feel like this would be the ONE skill that scales well with call of steel, if there were more options for call of steel. The fact that it has a cooldown means you need to find alternative ways to consume the impales, so making it an AOE burst makes sense.

I played with PoB and it will fairly easily hit over 2M impale damage per hit.. After some mine boosting shenanigans. (high impact and icicle fanning) But my playstyle of bursting the impales with call of steel requires an additional gem, just because.

I would suggest hinting at how useful the call of steel is by adding it to the gem.

Positive aspects. The impale explosion is interesting, as it doesn't consume the impales themselves we can use call of steel on the same monster.
Encourages us to not destroy monsters, so that we can call of steel.

If you're going to make more skills like this, could you consider making more options akin to the old lord of steel unique jewels?

I'm sure there some more shenanigans to do with cannibalised faith, but that's temporary, so eh.

In any case, this is an interesting boss nuking skill, so please consider what else can support it. The 4s delay on impaler is actually probably kind of fine considering how long it would normally take to stack 5 impales.

But please more aoe.
Made it to the impaler node and I am a convert. I should have checked the math and easily seen that it is the best way to use this unless you reach less that .8s cooldown. (Or 1s with the double trigger nodes)

This does make the trapper playstyle feel much more solidified. prep the terrain, throw a trap. watch things die. prepare for the next wave of damage.

That being said, the bug from the missing explosions is annoying. I thought this was something specific to the skill, but it seems to affect the great old one's proc as well. So this is new. I can be sure of this because I had been testing its interactions with worms in seasons past.

Returning to the playstyle. I feel like it would greatly benefit from the weapon swap utility that PoE2 is getting. Be able to have double 6L easily available would be awesome for these cooldown skills. Even without the skill tree specific changes. I've tried a weapon swap before and the fact that I couldn't queue the swap for once the current animation stops made it really tricky to time.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info