Clarifications and pointers for the upcoming Flashback event (May 2018)

Considering there are always misconceptions, misunderstandings, unwarranted expectations, what have you, I decided to write up some clarifications and other information about the upcoming event. I may do the same for other events at later points in time, obviously changing the information to match the event. I did so here. Yay!

For the announcement of the May (2018) Flashback event, see the following thread:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2135844

There's three major categories, so you can more easily find what you're looking for:

THIS POST: Event rules and properties
NEXT POST: Prizes and rewards
THIRD POST: What happens after

Flashback!

The Flashback event spans about three-and-a-half weeks, and it is a fresh start. You have to create a new character and start from scratch. Registration opens 30 minutes before the start of the event, and you can create characters at any point between then and the end of the event. You cannot use one of your existing characters from other leagues, or items from other leagues.
The event runs from 9am Saturday May 5th (NZT) until 10am Tuesday May 29th (NZT).

This Flashback event is different from previous iterations. In past, modifiers rotated every few days, with all modifiers active on certain days - usually the weekend. So let's look at how it works this time.

During this version of Flashback, areas other than towns and the Act I Twilight Strand will be affected by a combination of three modifiers from past Challenge League. The following are available:
- Abyss: One additional Abyss
- Ambush: Two additional strongboxes
- Anarchy: Two additional Rogue Exiles
- Beyond: Same as normal, presumably (no specifics given)
- Bloodlines: Three additional magic monster packs with Bloodlines mods
- Breach: One additional Breach
- Harbinger: Two additional Harbingers
- Invasion: Two additional Invasion bosses (each with a pack of normal monsters)
- Nemesis: Three additional rare monsters with Nemesis mods (and a pack of normal monsters each)
- Perandus: Two additional Perandus chests, 33% chance for Cadiro Perandus
- Torment: Three additional Tormented Spirits
If you are unfamiliar with what any of these do, please refer to this section on the wiki concerning the game's past Challenge Leagues:
https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/League#Past_leagues

What mods are present in any particular area is the same for all players.

What mods are present differs per area. While during the first hour the Coast might have, say, an Invasion bosses, a Breach, and Strongboxes, the Tidal Island and Mud Flats might have an entirely different combination. It's completely independent for each area.

At the top of the hour, mods are rerolled for each area in the game. Again, completely independent of one another, but the same for all players.

While you can ask other players what mods can currently be found and where, there's usually a community website that attempts to track this information. So if you ask in chat, don't be surprised if you are told to Google it up, shitlord.
At the time of writing, the Flashback event has only just been announced, so it is unknown if there will be a site like this available. During the most recent Turmoil and Mayhem events, this was
http://poecraft.com/race/zones, and they've announced that the tracker will be updated for this Flashback event
Also, a tracker announced specifically for this event can be found at:
https://poeleagues.com/

In areas affected, you cannot chance items that are league-specific and don't drop normally anymore. For example, you cannot chance a Headhunter in an area that has the Nemesis League modifier applied through it by the Flashback event. You can only chance one in a map that has the appropriate league modifier (in this example, Nemesis) applied to it through Zana.
Similarly, these items also won't be available to drop without Zana's help.

Lastly, throughout the event, Bestiary is available as well, in addition to the three random league modifiers applied to zones. This means that Einhar will be around, monsters with Bestiary modifiers will spawn, can be captured, you have access to the Menagerie, can do Beastcrafting, and anything else related to the Bestiary league that I may be forgetting.
You can also complete challenges from the Bestiary league in this event.
Note, however, that your beasts and Menagerie are not shared between this event and the Bestiary league.

During this event, while you can respec points within your chosen Ascendancy, you cannot change your Ascendancy once you've picked it, so choose carefully!
This is to prevent people from switching Ascendancies right before the event ends, so you can't just nab a Demigod item from under someone else's nose at the last second :P
Last edited by Velari on May 2, 2018, 6:41:05 AM
Last bumped on May 27, 2018, 5:04:39 PM
PRIZES AND REWARDS!

Most of the prizes are NOT guaranteed rewards. You don't just get them for reaching the level threshold, they are also not for the first X to reach the level threshold (i.e. the footprints do not go to the first 500 to reach level 45). The exceptions are the Mystery Box at level 35, and the Demigod items for being the best of the best - those are guaranteed if you qualify for them.

The other prizes are random draws. You qualify for the draw, and then you have a chance at the prizes, along with everyone else who qualifies by having reached the level threshold. So, if you are level 95 or higher, you and everyone else who is level 95 or higher go into a pool, and the 750 armour sets are given randomly to people in this pool.

You qualify for all prize draws you've fulfilled the conditions for, not just the highest one. So if you're level 95 or higher, you are not just in the running for those armour sets - you also qualify for a shot at the level 85 prize draw, the level 75 prize draw, the level 65 prize draw, the level 55 prize draw, the level 45 prize draw, and the Mystery Box.

Your odds of getting a prize from the random draws ARE LOW. Do not go in expecting to get anything other than the Mystery Box. If you manage to reach level 95, your odds of getting one of the armour sets might be okay (it's hard to say as previously the highest prize threshold was usually level 90), but below that, many thousands of players will qualify. Note that the prize pool, other than Mystery Boxes and Demigod's Dominances, is shared between all versions of this event, and with the addition of a Standard SSF variant and the console version of the game, the prize pool is diluted even further.
If you want a prize other than the Mystery Box, git gud and win the event. If you're not among the very best, you're fighting for table scraps with thousands and thousands of others. Your chances of winning anything from the prize draws are much, much lower than winning nothing at all from them. If you enter the event expecting to win armour sets and whatnot, you are very likely going to be disappointed. Play for fun, and if you win something cool, take it as a neat bonus - don't take it for granted that you'll win a bunch of stuff.

Rewards are given out after the event ends, because that's when GGG knows who qualifies for what. With the exception of the Mystery Box at level 35, which this time will be awarded instantly, you do not get any rewards as soon as you hit a certain level. You do get any rewards the second the event ends. It can take a few days, just have a little patience!

The prize pool is, for the most part, shared between all versions of the event - standard/hardcore/standard solo self-found/hardcore solo self-found, as well as the console versions thereof.
The exceptions are the following:
- the Mystery Box. You can only earn one for your account over the course of the Flashback event.
- the Demigod items. Each version of the event has its own set of Demigod rewards.

Your choice of Ascendancy does not affect your odds of anything other than winning a Demigod item for being the top of said Ascendancy.

If you care about the prizes, do not delete your character before they have been awarded
Last edited by Velari on Apr 24, 2018, 7:54:19 PM
WHAT HAPPENS AFTER THE EVENT

User Abdiel_Kavash has a very useful guide on the forum, which can be found here:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2091028

While I will give a short version with the basics here, I recommend you check his guide out for detailed information!

Flashback and Bestiary end at the same time. When this happens, they will be merged with whatever their parent league is. Basically, the Standard versions will merge with the permanent Standard league, the Hardcore versions with the permanent Hardcore league, and similarly the Solo Self-Found versions will merge with their permanent equivalents.

Your characters and stash will be moved effectively instantly. Everything else requires server downtime! Please don't post bug reports about how your hideout from the league or event disappeared!

Your characters will appear and be playable in the parent league. They will retain their equipment, inventory items, and so on.

Your stash will be merged with the stash in the parent league. Your stash tabs from the league or event will appear in the stash as "remove-only" tabs, to allow you to retrieve any items you may want to keep.

Again, everything else, such as hideouts, Forsaken Master levels, the Atlas, and so on, will be merged as well, but will require server downtime. This is expected to be on the day of release for the next Challenge League, although there may be server downtime sooner if necessary.
For the details on how these merge, please refer to Abdiel_Kavash's guide for the specifics!

It had been decided that Bestiary is not being retained as a core gameplay mechanic - although it could return for events and whatnot. As such, things like Bestiary progress and your captured beasts will not carry over in any way. As items, currently existing Bestiary Orbs and imprints of magic items created through Beastcrafting will be continue to exist until disposed of, but without the Bestiary mechanic in the game, they will not have any use or function.
Nets were not mentioned in the Development Manifesto - I assume that they will also continue to exist until you get rid of them, and will have have no purpose when Bestiary is not present within the game.

Some time after the event, rewards will be given out, usually within a few days. Please be patient with this.
Last edited by Velari on May 8, 2018, 5:46:49 AM
- Updated the event's starting time, which is now 9am Saturday May 5th (NZT).
- Updated information on Demigod rewards, as they are for the top X of each Ascendancy.
Hey, thanks for linking my guide!

"
Velari wrote:
If you care about the prizes, do not delete your character before they have been awarded

I'm just really making sure to highlight this, as every time there is an event a bunch of people don't realize this and miss out on a chance to win their prizes.
Last edited by Abdiel_Kavash on Apr 24, 2018, 6:52:24 PM
I mean, I've seen all of those come up on the forums, especially everything in the prizes section, but yeah, missing out completely because of misunderstanding or overlooking something would be unfortunate.

And your guide is quite convenient - I don't play Standard and while I know how merger works with regards to older mechanics, like masters and hideouts, I never really bothered with learning about the details of more recent things like Atlas merger :x
"
Velari wrote:

- Abyss
- Ambush
- Anarchy
- Beyond
- Bloodlines
- Breach
- Harbinger
- Invasion
- Nemesis
- Perandus
- Torment
If you are unfamiliar with what any of these do, please refer to this section on the wiki concerning the game's past Challenge Leagues:
https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/League#Past_leagues

Are you sure about this?

Because I doubt it will be straight up same modification as it was in those leagues.

- Abyss: In Abyss league it was possible to get up to three Abyss in one area.
=> How about flashback?
- Breach, Harbinger, Perandus (the chests) same, cant remember Invasion and Ambush how many Exiles/Boss you could get in one area
- Bloodlines+Nemesis: In those leagues we only got extra mods.
=> If it will be true in flashback, overall the only good thing would be a chance to get Wealthy mod on a rare in Nemesis and Keeper of the trove in Bloodlines, nothing else. No extra rare/magic mobs in the area.

==> Overall it would be insanely unbalanced if the mods stay exactly the way its league worked. Harbinger, Breach and Abyss would be insanely strong. Bloodlines and Nemesis would make it worse to play the zones with those mods, than anything else - or no mods.
Last edited by Eloids on Apr 27, 2018, 12:15:35 PM
EDIT:

This post originally contained speculation as a response to Eloids. As GGG has since provided the details (see my next post), I have removed the speculative answer that was here originally.
Last edited by Velari on Apr 30, 2018, 7:15:24 AM
Bex detailed the effects of the mods in this particular iteration of the Flashback event, and they are indeed different from the implementation of the mods in previous Flashback events. As I mused in my previous post. Anyway, now that we have the specifics, I'll remove the previous post and include the new information we have.

It is as follows:

Abyss: One additional Abyss
Ambush: Two additional strongboxes
Anarchy: Two additional Rogue Exiles
Beyond: Same as normal, presumably - no specifics given
Bloodlines: Three additional magic monster packs with Bloodlines mods
Breach: One additional Breach
Harbinger: Two additional Harbingers
Invasion: Two additional Invasion bosses (each with a pack of normal monsters)
Nemesis: Three additional rare monsters with Nemesis mods (and a pack of normal monsters each)
Perandus: Two additional Perandus chests, 33% chance for Cadiro Perandus
Torment: Three additional Tormented Spirits
Last edited by Velari on Apr 30, 2018, 7:14:49 AM
I would like to know whether Beyond (random Flashback modifier), the "Otherworldly" map prefix, and the Beyond Zana crafting modifier all stack - or which ones of them do if not all.

(Assuming Zana Beyond is going to be present in Flashback, as it is in Bestiary currently.)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info