Chaos Cubed Occultist Poet’s Pen: Essence Drain/Contagion UPDATE for what I did in 3.10 soon

UPDATE: 3.10

I made my own Spellslinger Ed/Contagion version. I will update this over the break between leagues :)

3.6 Update: Poet's Pens changes mean it's dead, Jim. F (Unless I do something crazy with the new gems)

3.5 Update: Original build with new Ascendancy + Herald of Agony + EB + Pit gloves increased DoT to 260k!

3.5 changes:

PoB: https://pastebin.com/B7Gr7pu4

3.4 Update:I ended up making the CI Death's Oath version, and it didn't really work :(

3.3 Update: Coward's Legacy brings our DoT DPS up to 180k!! + Vaal Blight for ST.

3.3 Changes:

Spoiler
Tree: Same passives; grabbed Pain Attunement.

Gear: No more Stupid Beasts :( so no more Aspect of the Spider/Fenumus'

Now we use The Coward's Legacy with a Determination Watcher's Eye. As our mana cost is so low with Poet's Pens, we also use Scold's Bridle for the increased spell damage.

New PoB: https://pastebin.com/d2cggGBt

Gems and Jewels
Spoiler

Curses/Aura:
Blasphemy> Despair> Temp Chains. Determination.

Gloves: Shaper gloves with Faster Casting.
Spell Totem> Wither. Flame Dash> Arcane Surge.

Generator 4L:
Frenzy> GMP> Culling Strike> Life Gain on Hit.
(Or add Decay for 5L and put Golem in 6th socket-- you don't need an unsocketed ring then, but you lose CWDT set-up)
(or you can have Temp Chains/Despair Curse on Hit and use Vitality with Determination (or Arctic Armour etc)]

Defense:
CWDT> Immortal Call or
CWDT> Phase run (at 20% quality)

Ring:
Stone Golem

ST boost:
Vaal Blight> Controlled Destruction> Void Manipulation> Efficacy.

Pens:
Contagion> Efficacy> Void Manipulation.
Essence Drain (23% Quality)> Swift Affliction> Controlled Destruction.

Jewels
Life/ Damage/ Chaos Damage (increased NOT +#Chaos) / Damage Over Time.
Spreading Rot if ya fancy

Newly Added Gear
Spoiler

3.2 Version

I didn’t see any guides on this combo with Poet’s Pen, so I decided to try it out! Then I saw the reddit posts saying it was useless, so don’t do it. oops. Regardless, I feel this is an incredibly fun/satisfying build to play, and as shown, you can one-shot trash-- even a screen away-- so it makes an ideal farmer.

I figure if Poet's gives +3 to gem level, make ED 23% quality and it's quite powerful still @23/23, even though only 3L. I use Frenzy, but also Power Charges (even though DoTs don't crit), for the bonus to 9% Spell Power (5% from Forbidden Power/4% from tree node); Power Charges' synergy with Fenumus' for poison boost the DPS. A 5L Blight from Alleopthay gloves speed up the ST.

I am now at level 89 with this toon I can complete yellow T14 comfortably. T15 boss is slow. I did an Elder Guardian, but not deathless. Just did Forge of the Phoenix-- if you have absolutely nothing better to do you can watch the video, but it is looong and I die multiple times.

I require assistance!! This is the first build I've concocted (go easy on me :P).

PROS:
-The sound of a thousand monkeys dying as they try to flee :D
-Satisfying purple explosions, or having things kneel and die at your feet/around the corner! (also purple)
-Cheap-- Impresence is the only pricey item; I got mine for 30c, but now they are 60c. Poet's Pens are expensive early on, but are currently 15c each.
-Can craft Aspect of the Spider on any rare

CONS:
-Slow boss killer; lots of kiting
-Flame Dash :(

Gems
Spoiler
Curses:
Blasphemy> Despair> Enfeeble> Enlighten.

*Despair reserves no mana as per our Amulet, so it feels like Enlighten is wasted here. I'd like to get Curse Temp Chains on Hit gloves, allowing me to take out Enfeeble and socket Vitality back in here)

Gloves:
Void Manipulation> Efficacy> Controlled Destruction> Swift Affliction.

Generator 4L:
Frenzy> GMP> Culling Strike> Life Gain on Hit. (Optional: Decay)

Defense:
Arctic Armour
OPTIONAL: (Depends on your sockets)
CWDT> Immortal Call
CWDT> Phase Run (level 3/20% quality)

Movement:
Flame Dash> Arcane Surge.

Ring:
Stone Golem

Totem:
Spell Totem> Wither. (Fatser Casting if you can make room :P)

Pens:
Contagion> Efficacy> Void Manipulation.
Essence Drain (23% Quality)> Swift Affliction> Controlled Destruction.

Jewels
Spoiler

Life/ Damage/ Chaos Damage/ Damage Over Time. Fevered Mind.

Bandits and Ascendancy
Spoiler
Kill All
Occultist: Profane Bloom> Malediction> Forbidden Power> Void Beacon

Tree

Current Gear
Spoiler

Pastebin
https://pastebin.com/E5ZCpsid

Vids Nervous when I record so extra bad playing :( Sorry.

Crimson Temple w/Blight
https://youtu.be/A1fHPK5FWYs

Forge of the Phoenix (Just realized I've never done this fight ranged :P)
https://youtu.be/lV96BbVRDHQ

Old CWC/DP: Shaped Underground River
Shaped Underground River
https://youtu.be/M0UTrOWepVM

Toon: ToBurnAWitch
Last edited by Nepenthess on Jun 15, 2020, 3:40:06 PM
Last bumped on May 27, 2018, 10:49:37 PM
kinda like the build, popping trash like that looks fun

i would suggest a weapon swap, a bow or staff with + to socketed chaos gems or something for essence drain
"
prospecial wrote:
kinda like the build, popping trash like that looks fun

i would suggest a weapon swap, a bow or staff with + to socketed chaos gems or something for essence drain

Thanks for replying, :D

The point of this build though, is to utilize the one-button benefit of Poet's Pens. They work by having your attack skill set off the two spells in the wands. So unfortunately different weapons would make this a different build, and a lot of people have made great ED/Contagion builds, so my knowledge/lack thereof, is kinda moot.

So if there is anyway to enhance the build keeping the pens, my ST needs some love.
I hope you will update this and add some stuff, it sounds like it could work well in 3.3.
Last edited by taosk8r on May 17, 2018, 7:20:30 PM
For your efforts in creating a poet's pen based ED build I have to offer my kudos. Please keep at it and update this thread. I skipped the pokemon league because....just because, so I'm pleased to say that I plan to make another ED Witch for Incursion, and taking a league off likely has put me out of the tribal knowledge vault. I don't even know what any of these aspects of the ______ do.

+1 for any ED based creativity :o
I came across your post while also trying a similar concept. I've played POE for years but never did ED/Contagion and hadn't done CI in awhile. Decided to play around a bit in Flashback to see how they felt. I hated the clunkiness of ED/Contagion and almost gave up on it until I tried it with Poet's Pens.

Some differences -- I went CI initially and it was good. The beauty of Pens is you don't need a 6L so bought a Shavs and went lowlife for Pain Attunement and +30% more spell damage. Getting the Fenemus gloves was a big dps increase. I added the Fenumus helm and boots last night to play around with. Overall seems very solid. Synergizes well with ES with the Occultist tree.

I also use Frenzy linked to curse on hit/despair. I like that the curse is applied at range. The Aspect of the Spider range is fairly large too. For Contagion I just increase range/duration. I'm at the point of taking skill duration (for ED) and ES nodes on the tree pretty much.

I'm still too low level to test it out in higher maps and I will probably slow down before Incursion, but it has been fun. I like to stick at range so hoping to avoid Blight entirely on this setup.

Anyway, just thought I would bump your post for creativity and bring up a similar build I have been playing around with for your brainstorming.
"
taosk8r wrote:
I hope you will update this and add some stuff, it sounds like it could work well in 3.3.

I hope so, but without Aspect of the Spider and Fenumus' Toxins poison I am a bit worried :P

"
ayashi wrote:
For your efforts in creating a poet's pen based ED build I have to offer my kudos. Please keep at it and update this thread. I skipped the pokemon league because....just because, so I'm pleased to say that I plan to make another ED Witch for Incursion, and taking a league off likely has put me out of the tribal knowledge vault. I don't even know what any of these aspects of the ______ do.

+1 for any ED based creativity :o

Thanks! <3 I will make it my league starter and SUFFER

"
Praeter wrote:
I came across your post while also trying a similar concept. I've played POE for years but never did ED/Contagion and hadn't done CI in awhile. Decided to play around a bit in Flashback to see how they felt. I hated the clunkiness of ED/Contagion and almost gave up on it until I tried it with Poet's Pens.

Some differences -- I went CI initially and it was good. The beauty of Pens is you don't need a 6L so bought a Shavs and went lowlife for Pain Attunement and +30% more spell damage. Getting the Fenemus gloves was a big dps increase. I added the Fenumus helm and boots last night to play around with. Overall seems very solid. Synergizes well with ES with the Occultist tree.

I also use Frenzy linked to curse on hit/despair. I like that the curse is applied at range. The Aspect of the Spider range is fairly large too. For Contagion I just increase range/duration. I'm at the point of taking skill duration (for ED) and ES nodes on the tree pretty much.

I'm still too low level to test it out in higher maps and I will probably slow down before Incursion, but it has been fun. I like to stick at range so hoping to avoid Blight entirely on this setup.

Anyway, just thought I would bump your post for creativity and bring up a similar build I have been playing around with for your brainstorming.

I also had the gloves at first, but ST has been rough, so I had to swap out. What have you been doing for ST? I like your gems for Contagion, I was at a loss there ;) I will keep at it for Incursion! LMK if you come up with anything.
I do not think you will be able to take this specc much further.

Poet's Pens negate the low inherent damage of their socketed spells (due to only 2 support gems) with a crazy high attackspeed derived from the Attack spell (usually frenzy or barrage) with whom you trigger them.

Neiter ED nor Contagion benefit much from hitten multiple times - both spells most damaging components lie in their DOT Damage - not the initially hit. You might see it already at bosses - but it will only get worse from their on out.

Your damage will not increase a lot more with gear withouts some serious 'more' multipliers. Multipliers which you are imo unable to get.
"
Cyrix1337 wrote:

Poet's Pens negate the low inherent damage of their socketed spells (due to only 2 support gems) with a crazy high attackspeed derived from the Attack spell (usually frenzy or barrage) with whom you trigger them.

Neiter ED nor Contagion benefit much from hitten multiple times - both spells most damaging components lie in their DOT Damage - not the initially hit. You might see it already at bosses - but it will only get worse from their on out.

Your damage will not increase a lot more with gear withouts some serious 'more' multipliers. Multipliers which you are imo unable to get.

I think I agree with you. I've been unable to test in t15 and up maps in Flashback, but so far it works t12-14 with some boss kiting. Not using blight at all. It was very fun as a short league build.

Cyrix1337, how did you like the pens/arc build?
"
Cyrix1337 wrote:

Ya, I know that I am completely misusing the Pens in regards to their attack speed purpose :P I did the VD build Abyss league. The only reason I am using them here is to make ED/Contagion one-button.

I'm under no illusion that this build will do Shaper/Uber Atzi/Uber Elder-- it just won't. But it can do all red tier maps, reg Atzie, Uber Lab-- farming stuff. I would just really like to be able to take down a Guardian/Elder Guardian in less than 5 minutes :P But if you don't see any way I can make improvements, I will have to just see what the new league brings. I may be DOA, or maybe there'll be some chaos changes along with Vaal Blight.

Thanks for the feedback :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info