[3.2] Scorching Ray Trickster (shaper viable)

Welcome to my 3.2 league starter and ender; scorching ray trickster.

Pros
*Very safe, can do all map mods and all content
*Can use scorching ray from lvl 12 to endgame
*Not expensive

Cons
*Not the highest dps build
*Will feel slow without decent attackspeed/castspeed

Stats
Dps (assuming max scorching ray stacks):
Without power/frenzy charges: ~700k
With power/frenzy charges: ~900k

Life: 6200
Mana: 2000
Energy shield: 800

Life regen (with concecrated ground + killed recently): 1330
Block (with rumis activated): 45% chance to block attacks and 21% chance to block spells.

Keystones
Mind over matter: Gives us a lot more effective HP
Elemental equilibrium: Gives enemies -50% resistance to fire when orb of storms hit.
Elemental Overload: Gives us 40% more Elemental Damage.

Ascendancy
Spoiler

Normal Lab: Patient reaper for increased damage and life/mana sustain.

Cruel Lab: Prolonged Pain for more damage and some increased skill effect duration.

Merciless Lab: Swift Killer for power and frenzy charge generation.

Eternal Lab: Weave the Arcane for extra mana and cast/attackspeed.

Gear and links

Spoiler

Essential links (gems in order of importance):

scorching ray - burning damage - elemental focus - efficacy - controlled destruction - swift afflication

orb of storms - arcane surge (lvl 6) - curse on hit - flammability

shield charge - faster attacks - fortify - brutality

herald of ash

Recommended links:

cast when damage taken (lvl 1) - immortal call (lvl 3) - tempest shield (lvl 7) / increased duration

flame dash - faster casting / brutality

decoy totem

Attribute requirements:

Strength: 155
Dexterity: 111
Intelligence: 159

Leveling gear

Spoiler
weapon 1

This weapon will make mapping/leveling feel infinitely better because of your faster movement skill. The resists help as well. I recommend using it together with a rare shield with decent hp/resists and spell damage if possible.

weapon 2

Budget option for your scorching ray link.

weapon 3

The lategame mapping/bossing option. I advice having essence of insanity gloves so shield charge feels better with this. Can later be replaced with a higher damage shaper/elder weapon.

body armour

Cheap six-link, replace with a rare 6-link body armour later for better defenses.

boots

We use these all the way up until lategame, simply because we don't want to get stunned while we channel scorching ray. The high amount of maximum life is also nice.

Flasks
Spoiler

4 flasks to cover freeze, curse, shock and bleed immunity + Rumi's concoction that gives us some extra block chance to trigger our shield's "recover 5% of your maximum life when you block". You could swap this out for a basalt flask if you're not that well geared for block.

Passive Tree + Jewels
Spoiler
Magic/Rare
Use jewels with increased maximum life and at least 1 damage multiplier.

(Damage multipliers are: spell damage, fire damage, damage over time, burning damage, elemental damage, damage. Other useful stats: attack speed, cast speed, increased maximum mana)

Unique
Anatomical knowledge:

The jewel can be placed with 70 intelligence in radius in this location.

Passive Tree: https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAYCAAN1A-4HHgdjCPQOSBEtES8RlhJpFecWbxa_FxwYVhpsHNwdFB2-HxghsCL0JKok2CaIJpUo-iqNKwosnC6UM4czozT3NZI22DbpOlg64Ty2QYdFfEWdSRtJT0lRSbFN41H7U1JUR1VLVcZWSFq5XfJfBF8qYeJodGpDbAttGXF5c7N0VXyDf8aAs4LHg9uFMoVtiw6MNo8aj0aRR5MnlS6XLZeFl5eYrZrgm6GdY52unsShL6Ojpr6nCKyYtNG3MLc-uJO8qrzqvorIDMu9zRbVgdfP2CTYvdo72mLjauha6-7sVe-I8Gvw1fFs8kX31_k3-ej-Cv6P?accountName=TypisktMattan&characterName=OldStaleMeme

PoB: https://pastebin.com/wF3CFqEV

video(s)
Spoiler

FAQ
Q: Why do you link flame dash and shield charge with brutality?
A: So that they don't interfere with elemental equilibrium by dealing fire damage with hits. Shield charge deals fire damage because of herald of ash.

Q: Why not righteous Fire?
A: RF takes a lot more gear to get going and can't run all maps. This build is more simple, versitable and cheap, but lacks the tankiness and dps that RF can attain. It's a fair tradeoff in my mind.

Q:What Pantheons?
A: Soul of Lunaris for some defense against ranged projectiles and Soul of Tukohama for life regen/phys reduction while channling.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for reading this guide
Last edited by TypisktMattan on Apr 1, 2018, 5:40:13 AM
Last bumped on Aug 13, 2018, 12:49:42 PM
Trying this build, and i have a problem. Cannot kill bosses on t1 map, because after 1 shot i dont have mana for any spell, should i take MoM later or what is the solution to this?
"
Naysasyer wrote:
Trying this build, and i have a problem. Cannot kill bosses on t1 map, because after 1 shot i dont have mana for any spell, should i take MoM later or what is the solution to this?

I would advise you to remove mind over matter until you have a bigger mana pool. It should be about 33% of your life.
"
TypisktMattan wrote:
"
Naysasyer wrote:

I would advise you to remove mind over matter until you have a bigger mana pool. It should be about 33% of your life.

Thanks for advice. Anyway I cant kill bosses, I'm lvl 71 (4.3k hp and 75 resists) cannot get through t3 maps, because I lack survivability, cant understand what am I doing wrong.
"
Naysasyer wrote:
"
TypisktMattan wrote:
"
Naysasyer wrote:

Thanks for advice. Anyway I cant kill bosses, I'm lvl 71 (4.3k hp and 75 resists) cannot get through t3 maps, because I lack survivability, cant understand what am I doing wrong.

For bosses: Put down decoy totem and orb of storms, move away and just channel scorching ray on them for as long as you can. Always try to dodge them if they try to attack you. See my video for a gameplay example.
Hi my friend, im watching your post and tree on PoB. In PoB says that you regen, 1261 life per sec. I cant understand how if you took just 2.5 life regen on tree and you have no items with life regen.. Can you explain me? ty so much

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info