[3.2] Elementalist Ignite. Burn your enemies in the ninth circle of Hell. Advance setting out!

PROLOGUE:

First time posting a Build Guide, i hope to not make it too horrible.

I made this build in a research to achieve to make a viable burning Build, and somehow i made it with 0 fire damage and being the perfect metaphor of the Treachery, the deepest circle of Hell which is cold, so i like it even more.

Some things you have to know about this build:

-AoE melee based.

-ALL PRAISE COLD DAMAGE. This build DON'T have any fire damage, and its very important, even if one ring give you 1 to 2 to fire damage it will low your DPS a lot.

-The build use the all-powerful Debeon's Dirge (yes, that axe none want).

-WARCRYS MATTER(because of the axe).

-If some enemy refuses to die quickly, CURSE IT UNTIL HE DIES HORRIBLY (with triple curse).

Pro/Con

To begin with, let's see the Pro/Con of the build:

Pro/Con
Pro:

-Cheap Uniques.

-Improvable jewels: don't need to have perfect jewels, but you always can change it for
better ones.

-Very good clear speed: once burning has been spread with only one hit it will kill almost every enemy on the group.

-Dot DPS: this will always be a Pro to me, i love DoT Builds sorry.

-Hit & Run: one of the mechanics on bosses and hard enemies is to hit once and retreat to let the burning do his work. The build is safer this way.

-High Tier Maps: can do up to Tier 15 without much difficulty. The only thing that can stop you is your defences because the DPS won't be any trouble. (I actually don't try on tier 16, i'll update if try it)

-Triple curse: give you more freedom on choosing your playstile, more safe or aggressive
depending on what curses you prefer.

-Nice pool of life: currently at lvl 90 i have 5.9K life, it could be better of course, but it's not bad.

-Originality: i don´t know you guys, but i love to burn to the ground my enemies with 0 fire damage.

Con:

-Defences: even if the build is AoE based, you'll have to go somehow melee and i like to be as tanky as i can in this situations. Don't get me wrong, you will have plenty of life and even with flasks it can easily have 90% physical damage reduction, but without any extra buff, resting, you'll have around 20%-30% physical damage reduction, too low to my liking.

-Endgame Titans: i doubt it can do Ubber Atziri(Didn't try normal Atziri but i think it can easily do it).

I tried a Tier 13 Elder and i couldn't do it(or maybe i'm too bad, who knows), didn't try with lower Elders.

Maybe it can do Guardians, but i don't think the same with Shaper.

On the other hand Ubber Izaro and Pale Court can be done easily.

-Attack Speed: this build uses Ice Crash which is very slow at attacking and sometimes it can bother or even be dangerous. I got use to it tho.

-Jewels: can Jewels be Pro and Con at the same time? Well, for me yes it can. Even if you can slowly improve the jewels you are wearing, they are Abyssal Jewels, and to get some good ones can be expensive, especially if they have life on it, and we all love life.

-Lack of Dex: unfortunately the passive tree of this build doesn't have much dextery on it, specifically 0, and you need at least 155 to get comfortable upon using dex based gems. So, the only solution to this is having lots of dextery in your Gear and that is one more requirement when finding rare gear.

Damage:

Now, this is my current Damage without any debuff on the enemy (ToolTip):

ToolTip DMG

WARNING: They'll be a total of 8 images, this is because there are 3 factors that can alter your DPS (3 different buffs on you), i'll post the images from less to more DPS to be more manageable.

Without Warcrying, Pendulum of Destruction on increased Area of Effect and Igniting Conflux OFF

Without Warcrying, Pendulum of Destruction on increased Area of Effect and Igniting Conflux ON

Without Warcrying, Pendulum of Destruction on increased Elemental Damage and Igniting Conflux OFF

Without Warcrying, Pendulum of Destruction on increased Elemental Damage and Igniting Conflux ON

Warcrying, Pendulum of Destruction on increased Area of Effect and Igniting Conflux OFF

Warcrying, Pendulum of Destruction on increased Area of Effect and Igniting Conflux ON

Warcrying, Pendulum of Destruction on increased Elemental Damage and Igniting Conflux OFF

Warcrying, Pendulum of Destruction on increased Elemental Damage and Igniting Conflux ON

If you have any doubt about the damage, please check FaQ before asking, maybe i solve it there.

So, we know our ToolTip damage but this build rely heavily on debuffs as well, so full buffed this is my Real Damage, according to PathOfBuilding again normal monsters, bosses and Shaper & Co:

Total DMG

Against normal monsters

Against bosses

Against BIG BOYS

Ignite calculation and duration:

MECHANICS:

We are getting into the real fun part. Let's start with the Gear, maybe you asked yourself at the beginning of this guide "How/Why the hell will i ignite without any fire damage?". Well:

HOW

HOW:

The answer to how do you ignite without fire damage, all time and without rely completely on Ignite Conflux is in this gloves, an indispensable item for this build:

It's a fated unique, incredibly cheap (because of his shitty base).

With this, Ice Crash as main skill which converts 50% of your physical damage to cold damage (100% with the gloves), Chance to Ignite Support, some points on chance to ignite on the Passive Tree and the Ascendacy: Beacon of Ruin, will give you 79% chance to ignite in area and every ignite you cause will spread to nearby enemies causing the ignite to reach every enemy on a medium-large area.

WHY

WHY:

I could simply say "BECAUSE IT'S COOL", but besides that there are some reasons:

-Debeon's Dirge: the first reason that motivate me to do this build. 150% increased elemental damage if you've used a warcry recently and huge base damage makes this axe godly for this build.

-Dyadian Dawn: Why an attack, why not a spell? Well, all because of this belt "Enemies Ignited by an ATTACK burn 35% faster". This act like a More Damage modifier.

-Elemental Equilibrium: always wanted to use this node and i finally reached my goal. Because of how it works and having 0 fire damage, every enemy you hit with ice crash will have a debuff of -50% to fire resistance, the lower their resistance to fire are, more damage will ignite inflict.

-Cold Penetration: even if you ignite enemies with cold damage, lowering their cold resistance won't add any damage to ignite, but that's not the same with cold penetration.

-Ice Crash: hits hard, it's AoE and convert physical to cold, perfect to spread ignite all over around.

Every factor tells you that indeed, the best ignite is a cold one.

I played this build for about 60h so let's talk about how is it mechanically:

-First of all, USE YOUR FLASKS!, you won't have much physical damage reduction so your flask will prove helpful.

-Use warcry everytime you can, to help with defences i prefer to use enduring cry, but it's your choose.

-Faster attacks helps, i always use it except against bosses, the damage is enought to sustain itself without deadly ailments for example.

-And against bosses you can uses either ancestral protector to attack quicker or decoy totem to distract the boss while you hit him.

-The triple curse will be use against very resistant monsters and dangerous if you have enfeblee or temporal chains. With elemental weakness with 20% quality and lvl 20, flammability lvl 20, curse on hit 20% and elemental equilibrium you can lower the fire resist on an outstanding -173,2% maximum.

Triple curse will be achieved with Whispers of Doom on the Tree and Windshriek boots on the Gear.

-The golem. Golems are always helpful and for this build i tried Stone Golem and Chaos Golem, i think Chaos Golem is more defensive but it's at you.

-This build clear very efficiently and abysses/breachs are a delight to make a massacre.

-The DPS is high but also very variable, especially when yuo warcry or shock a boss.

So, do i need to pay attention on Shocking Conflux or Pendulum of Destruction every time i hit a boss?No, no necessarily, just hit him when you can.

GEAR:

What do i need on my Rare Gear?

As i said before, lots of Dextery, besides that in jewellery both increased cold and fire damage can boost your ignite DPS, increased elemental damage with attacks and even more important, added cold damage. This last one adds more damage than the others with the current uniques.

Some chaos resistance is useful too and all the life you can get (just remember to cap your resists!).

FULL CURRENT GEAR:

EDIT: I changed mi jewellery a little to increase damage, so the damage shown on the images is a little lower than with this current gear.

And what about Flasks?

I'll give more freedom in this to choose whathever configuration of flask you prefer, but this is mine:

Flasks

JEWELS:

Last but not least, jewels. We'll have a total of 7 jewels on the passive tree.

Why abyssal jewels, it can't be done with normal jewels? Yes, but it won't be the same. I use Abyssals because they give you a huge boost to base cold damage and, if you are lucky or have a medium amount of chaos, life.

Increased damage over time while wielding a two-handed weapon, added cold damage to attacks, added cold damage to axe attacks, life and maybe even some dex to relieve a litte the need of dex on rare gear. This are the affix we are looking to.

Example of Abyssal Jewels

Links:

Regarding to links you'll want:

-Ice crash, Burning Damage support, Unbound Ailments support, Chance to Ignite Support, Elemental Damage With Attacks support and Deadly Ailments/Faster attacks support:

6-Links Ice Crash

-Ball lightning, Curse on Hit support, and 3 curses to choose within enfeblee, temporal chains, despair, elemental weakness and flammability:

5-Links Curses

-Hatred, Herald of Ice and Arctic Armour/Herald of Thunder. This are the auras and heralds to use. EDIT: i recently tried Determination instead of Hatred for better survival and works very well if you are willing to sacrifice a little damage.

-Some defensive CWDT. This is my configuration:

CWDT

-The rest of sockets will be use for the totem, golem, warcry and movement skill.

Passive Tree:

Ascendancy:

The reasons to pick Elementalist are not only because a huge boost of damage, but it will allow you to spread ignite easily and even shock your enemies. Even more, Beacon of Ruin will allow you to shock an enemy with at least 20% increased damage taken, perfect for bosses.

The order to pick ascendancys are:

1. Pendulum of Destruction: this is the first because of the boost both on increased area of effect and damage while leveling.

2. MasterMind of Discord: more damage through penetration and effect on heralds.

3. Shaper of Desolation: with this ascendancy you can shock enemies.

4. Beacon Of Ruin: the last ascendancy, and best. It allow you to shock, chill and ignite better, gives you more clear speed and damage against bosses.

This is my current character Passive Tree:

For leveling i recommend freezing pulse since you can get one of the jewels socket for the specific jewel of freezing pulse, plus you can get some cold and elemental damage. Leveling until lvl 70 should be enought:

Links to import the build:

Build Import

lvl 90 Tree

https://pastebin.com/SZ4iy97F

lvl 91 Tree, more agressive

https://pastebin.com/u1yau26B

lvl 100 Tree

https://pastebin.com/hfecSEL7

lvl 100 Tree, more agressive

https://pastebin.com/sNqQXms4

VIDEOS:

Mid-Tier Laboratory Map with double Beyond

This video show that mid tier maps are no problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxfAKfmphQ8

Vault Tier 14 boss fight with resistance modifiers

In this video i wanted to show that this build can do high tier bosses with multiple resistance modifiers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu7Z_xEUBK0

Innocence boss fight Tier 15 with enfeeble

Another fight, this time with enfeeble, additional proyectiles and some damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXyZr4l0MVw

Bonus Image

I tried to do Chimera Guardian, and i kill him but i died a couple times when the chaos minions show up because of my current low chaos resistance. With a little better gear i think it can do all guardians deathless.

FAQ:

Frequently asked questions:

1. Why the damage change with Ignite Conflux, it's because now i have 100% chance to ignite?
Spoiler
No, actually is because Ignite Conflux makes ALL of your damage count towards ignite damage, so if you have some lightning damage it will be added just during Ignite Conflux.

2. I'm more intested on ES based builds, can this be done with ES instead?
Spoiler
With the gloves and boots you already loss lot of ES, but you can always change the boots for a corrupt amulet with +1 to curses or one Doedre's Damning. And you can always modify this build to your liking!

3. Why are you going to the left part of the tree instead of right? There are more damage over time, life and even frenzy charges!
Spoiler
If i go right instead i'll loose some chance to ignite, curse effect, even some life and points. And also i dont like to rely on charges to deal damage

4. Why elementalist? Trickster is so buffed, it can easily match the damage.
Spoiler
Yes, but again, you rely on charges to match that damage, and i hate it.

5. I liked your build, will you make more?
Spoiler
It depends, as i said several times i love DoT so if i make a build i'm proud of, maybe i'll post it, who knows.

6. I don't like to go melee... There is some way to make this ranged?
Spoiler
Actually it was my first idea about this build, plus i made some others ranged too, but if i can make one ranged DoT build whit great damage and safe i think i'll post it. Also you can always try to do it yourself!

7. Why lower fire resistance? Can't i go fire penetration?
Spoiler
Definitely no. Ignite damage is calculated before penetration so it won't add any damage and you lower the fire resistance because the damage they receive it's fire damage even if the hit that caused it was cold.

8. So, both fire and cold increased damage boost my ignite damage? How is it?
Spoiler
It work's just like conversion damage, the ignite will be boosted by fire and cold increased damage because the hit is cold damage and the ignite itself is fire damage.

9. Why do you use Unbound Ailments instead of Swift Affliction?
Spoiler
At first i used Swift Affliction, it gives you more DPS but actually it lowers your ignite duration and Unbound Ailments increase it and give you just a little less damage. The difference in time between one and another are about 2 seconds, so Unbound Ailments gives you way more damage per ignite.

If you have any doubts post it maybe i'll read it and solve it, or even someone else.

Advance Setting:

If you feel that bosses die slow i make this setting to melt them, killing tier 15 bosses in less than 10-15s seconds when full buffed. With this i did all of The Shaper's Guardians and i tried Shaper, the Guardians were more or less easy to kill but i couln't kill Shaper, although it may be because i never kill him and i'm not the best poe player to be sincere. Around 80% of the times Shaper killed me was because of the smash attack and my nerves so i honestly think this build can do Shaper, but with some difficulty.

Animate Guardian

To start with, Animate Guardian, this is the principal change to the build. He dual wield two dyadus to apply 200% increased burning damage taken to enemies and all other gear is "REGENERATION: the movie". I linked it with an empower lvl 4( 3 if you are not rich), increased minion life and minion elemental resistance, all on a +2 to minion gems helmet:

This is all items i linked to my animate guardian:

-Weapons: two Dyadus.
-Helmet: Voll's Vision.
-Armour: Gruthkul's Pelt.
-Gloves: Craiceann's Pincers.
-Boots: Kaom's Roots.

With all of that my AG is capable of tank all Guardians but it almost died with Shaper, with a little bit of more defenses i think it can survive. I won't post any videos of Guardians or Shaper fights because are very tough and record it cause me a lot of lag, all i can do is show a couple images of after fights:

Some Guardians images

Other changes i did was removing one jewel and resolute technique, i got elemental overload, accuracy on my gear and one point to reduced mana that combined with a lvl 3 enlighten allows to have vitality instead of arctic armour:

New full Gear:

SHAPER AND UBER ELDER: i really think this build has the potential to do Shaper and Uber Elder, but i'm not that skilled nor patient to do such hard fights. It is bastly prove to be able to do Guardians and red tier elders but if you want to do the ultimate bosses it will require a litte better gear than mine, skills and ingenuity to face them.

End note: i did this build to be fun, not to be meta, so if you find difficultys with these last bosses dont despair like i did trying to quickly kill them, enjoy the build, keep farming, keep trying. At last you'll become a better player and able to face Shaper and beyond. If you tried my build i hope it give you a good time and if you are about to make it, over all things, have fun exile!

Last edited by Pablogb4 on Apr 14, 2018, 4:08:53 PM
Last bumped on Apr 25, 2018, 4:18:26 AM
Nice idea and good combination of different uniques
Hi, very cool build, leveling it atm but i have a few questions:

- Why not elemental overload instead of RT and get accuracy on abyss jewels and some on the tree?

- I have issues with mobs shattering. It rly doesnt feel good with prolif. Is there any way to prevent mobs from being shattered? The only thing which comes to mind is Three dragon helmet.

- Isnt damage on full life better then unbound aliments?

Thanks for your input.
"
xprimalfuryx wrote:
Hi, very cool build, leveling it atm but i have a few questions:

- Why not elemental overload instead of RT and get accuracy on abyss jewels and some on the tree?

- I have issues with mobs shattering. It rly doesnt feel good with prolif. Is there any way to prevent mobs from being shattered? The only thing which comes to mind is Three dragon helmet.

- Isnt damage on full life better then unbound aliments?

Thanks for your input.

Hi, first thanks for asking.

1)I first wanted to get elemental overload with this build but soon i saw some problems:

-Accuracy: without RT i have 59% chance to hit so as you said it is need some accuracy, but getting it on abyssal jewels alongside damage and possibly life was too much and lowering "permanent" damage on jewels to get one point that get you "non permanent" damage was not of mi likely, same as getting accuracy with points on the tree.

-Critical Strike Chance: EO only activates when you crit and my CSC is only around 6% (11% if i have 100% chance to hit) and with a low attack speed it's no good to do a crit. All of this combine with the mechanics and playstyle of this build makes RT a better option because you know that it will hit 100% and then retreat. If you choose EO instead it may fail and on very hard bosses you will have to wait your next opportunity to try again to hit him, and the EO will activate only sometimes and you may even not have a chance to take advantage of it all times.

So with all this, i aimed for more consistent damage because the ascendancy was already a little inconsistent.

2):

Well, you can use Three Dragons but there is some issues, if you use the helmet and the gloves it will be like an overkill on making cold damage ignite and not getting extra defenses with rare gloves would be a little silly but if you don't use the gloves instead, half of your physical damage won't convert to cold damage and it would be damage lost. Plus, three dragons will deny all chilling you could inflict with cold damage and is a waste in my opinion, but if you really want, you can do it.

3):

We are back to the low attack speed, clearly it's not like you need a full second to attack, but you can always be hit with any attack and pum, you are no more on full life, you lose all damage from the gem and your ignite duration will be less without unbound ailments. Overall i see unbound as a better and more consistent source of damage.

Ty again for taking a moment to see my build.

I see, u are right about the helmet, if i loose chill i also loose all life leech from dyadian dawn which is bad.

I still feel elemental overload for ignite build is better then RT. I should be able to get around 85% hit chance with some acc jewels and only 4 point investment in precision and versatility which gives me highly needed dex as well.

The little lacking single target dmg issue against high end bosses could be fixed with animate guardian dual-wielding 2 dyadus i feel. Just grab one minion life regen and equip him with resist gear + icetomb for chill to last longer and we have 200% more burning dmg against bosses.

Very hyped how its gonna flesh out in higher levels.
"
xprimalfuryx wrote:
I see, u are right about the helmet, if i loose chill i also loose all life leech from dyadian dawn which is bad.

I still feel elemental overload for ignite build is better then RT. I should be able to get around 85% hit chance with some acc jewels and only 4 point investment in precision and versatility which gives me highly needed dex as well.

The little lacking single target dmg issue against high end bosses could be fixed with animate guardian dual-wielding 2 dyadus i feel. Just grab one minion life regen and equip him with resist gear + icetomb for chill to last longer and we have 200% more burning dmg against bosses.

Very hyped how its gonna flesh out in higher levels.

You are right, but my point was doing a build specifically with Debeon's Dirge because everyone else is using Dyadus and i wanted to go different. Of course, is very good to see other's variations of the build and maybe i'll improve my own this way. Good luck on your burning goal and thanks again.
Last edited by Pablogb4 on Mar 30, 2018, 3:14:31 PM
I would really try to add a AG in your set-up, as it really increase your damage a lot against bosses. If you got the spare gem slots, putting level 21 AG in a +2 helm, linked with minion life, minion resistances and a level 3 empower (or 4 if you are rich) provides you with a a 45k-50k health.

I added him to my own ignite based build, and it really helped against bosses in red tier maps. I equipped him with two dyadus, Icetomb, bringer of rain (melee splash so it doesn't matter if he hits an add), Southbound gloves (for the % increased life mod), and victario's flight (for 10% movement speed) aura. It costs around 5 chaos to fully equip him, and in the 10ish hours I have used him he only died once from traps in uber lab. If he starts to drop low I just teleport out and or unequip the gem and finish the map without him or let him heal up a bit on concentrated ground.

Secondly accuracy isn't that hard to get really, and EO really adds a lot of damage. Having a couple good rolls on your gear can already give you 80%+ hit change. Yriels fostering is a pretty nice item if you are looking for accuracy, as it can give 400 accuracy rating on a slot you normally cannot get any.

And ow PoB shock base value is 50%, and unless you got 150% increased shock effect, your damage is a good amount lower then PoB show (something like 15-20%)
"
Tortunga wrote:
I would really try to add a AG in your set-up, as it really increase your damage a lot against bosses. If you got the spare gem slots, putting level 21 AG in a +2 helm, linked with minion life, minion resistances and a level 3 empower (or 4 if you are rich) provides you with a a 45k-50k health.

I added him to my own ignite based build, and it really helped against bosses in red tier maps. I equipped him with two dyadus, Icetomb, bringer of rain (melee splash so it doesn't matter if he hits an add), Southbound gloves (for the % increased life mod), and victario's flight (for 10% movement speed) aura. It costs around 5 chaos to fully equip him, and in the 10ish hours I have used him he only died once from traps in uber lab. If he starts to drop low I just teleport out and or unequip the gem and finish the map without him or let him heal up a bit on concentrated ground.

Secondly accuracy isn't that hard to get really, and EO really adds a lot of damage. Having a couple good rolls on your gear can already give you 80%+ hit change. Yriels fostering is a pretty nice item if you are looking for accuracy, as it can give 400 accuracy rating on a slot you normally cannot get any.

And ow PoB shock base value is 50%, and unless you got 150% increased shock effect, your damage is a good amount lower then PoB show (something like 15-20%)

Those are really nice advices, maybe i'll improve my build. Thanks a lot!
"
Pablogb4 wrote:
Those are really nice advices, maybe i'll improve my build. Thanks a lot!

Ow don't use bringer of rain. I forgot it disables your chest, so Icetomb won't work, and I think the longer chill is more important then melee splash. Multiple boss fights will take a bit longer but meh. I think I will switch it for a Voll's vision for the 10% extra life. I picked up the 1.5% health regen node just above the templar area, which is more then enough for general clearing. On bosses I have a sulphar flask to give him a total of 7.5 life regen (with 50k he restores like 4k health a second).
"
Tortunga wrote:
Ow don't use bringer of rain. I forgot it disables your chest, so Icetomb won't work, and I think the longer chill is more important then melee splash. Multiple boss fights will take a bit longer but meh. I think I will switch it for a Voll's vision for the 10% extra life. I picked up the 1.5% health regen node just above the templar area, which is more then enough for general clearing. On bosses I have a sulphar flask to give him a total of 7.5 life regen (with 50k he restores like 4k health a second).

Bringer of rain doesnt disable chest armor on animate guardian. U can use both icetomb and BoR on him.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info