Add a "ShowMapIcon" keyword to item filters

It would show one of several icons on the overlay and corner map depending on the value.

Examples:

Show
BaseType "Void Sceptre" "Jewelled Foil" "Ambusher"
Rarity = Rare
ShowMapIcon ValuableRare

Show
Rarity = Unique
ShowMapIcon Star

This would provide the functionality of filter sounds, but for people who listen to music, watch streams, or are deaf. I think it's too easy to miss valuable drops if you play ranged builds without game sounds.

Also, for icons, there could be ones appropriate for cheap currencies, valuable currencies, league-specific currencies, maps, crafting bases, maps, white, magic, rare and unique items and something for jewelry too.
Last bumped on Aug 22, 2018, 3:17:59 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
I'm in favor of this, especially because finding loot drops can be really difficult without using third party software if you move too far from where it fell.

I sadly think it is unlikely to happen, because GGG prefer the added cost of having to hunt for drops and risk missing them when you move too fast. The reasons behind that are fully legitimate, but I am not sure overall necessary for the health and enjoyment of the game if the feature is available to everyone.

I'd prefer it were just a marker, possibly using the loot filter colors, on the minimap though. No additional filter feature you need to add, just something part of the native client.
It ought to be a fairly simple addition. Paint some icons to the right coordinates by whatever subsystem listens for item drop events. Of course, for all I know, the code that acts when items drop doesn't have access to the UI code or somesuch, and implementing this could require a major refactoring affecting 60 common libraries.

But if it is relatively straightforward, I'm hoping it can be bumped up on someone's ToDo list.
I totally love this idea - its a QoL that would be really great to have. One thing i missed in Poe after switching from D3 several years ago.
Having this as an ItemFilter command would be the best solution.
So what if instead of a map icon you generated a chat message - maybe even have the ability to send another message when a tagged item is picked up? At any point in time, you could compare the "drops" to the "picks" and know if something is left on the table. Player gets some info, but still has to actually do the "work". Or some other mechanism that lets you know that a tagged item is out there, just not where it is.
I now comment in Forums with my Xbox account:

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/xbox/view-profile/walkjohn55
"
So what if instead of a map icon you generated a chat message - maybe even have the ability to send another message when a tagged item is picked up? At any point in time, you could compare the "drops" to the "picks" and know if something is left on the table. Player gets some info, but still has to actually do the "work". Or some other mechanism that lets you know that a tagged item is out there, just not where it is.
As a budget solution it sort of works, but it requires reading, doesn't give you the location of the drop, and comparing lists of items dropped to items picked up sounds like a futzy PITA. If it's between your idea and nothing at all I'd take it, but it would be a pretty annoying solution.
One issue worth considering is that map indicators are already rather buggy: Have you ever noticed portal icons that disappear only when you get near them? That's the most common symptom I encounter, though not the only one. Masters and Einhar also exhibit this behavior.

I'm going to guess that GGG will need to figure out how to fix that bug before it can implement this kind of suggestion.

Now, I do think they should do both!

TANGENT:
And I think that doing both (fixing the bug and adding such a QoL feature) is more important than creating new content.

GGG probably disagrees and would point out that creating new content is the way to create new buzz, and that buzz is necessary for the game's financial viability.

I would then counter that GGG gets a good deal of its income from existing players, who are increasingly calling for a recycled league so that GGG can finally fix some of the more horrible problems with the game that get continually pushed back in the development cycle in order to make room for "creating more buzz."

EDIT: Another idea would be a flashing arrow whose duration and color can be configured in the loot filter. It wouldn't help with post-clear cleanups, but if you pick up your currency WHILE you play, it could be every bit as functional.
Wash your hands, Exile!
Last edited by gibbousmoon on Mar 22, 2018, 1:06:36 AM
"
gibbousmoon wrote:

And I think that doing both (fixing the bug and adding such a QoL feature) is more important than creating new content.

GGG probably disagrees and would point out that creating new content is the way to create new buzz, and that buzz is necessary for the game's financial viability.

I would then counter that GGG gets a good deal of its income from existing players, who are increasingly calling for a recycled league so that GGG can finally fix some of the more horrible problems with the game that get continually pushed back in the development cycle in order to make room for "creating more buzz."

I would strongly suggest you avoid financial arguments when making suggestions to game developers. Over the last couple decades they have been pretty consistently clear: when players talk economics, developers disregard it, because the players have no idea what the actual numbers and trade-offs being made are.

Instead, they consistently recommend focusing on why an idea is going to improve the game experience, or why something isn't "fun" for you, personally.

I have to say: the unique indicators on maps, and the fine tall glow that D3 provide, are definitely extremely effective at helping find those items. I miss that in PoE, and I often feel very grumpy when I hear my loot filter trigger the "worthwhile grabbing" sound, but I can't find the item.

It feels like I'm being punished by losing it, because I know it is there, I just can't find it. If I had no indicator at all it would actually be better: sure, I'd lose out on the item, but at least I wouldn't *know* I lost out like that.

So, yeah, I'm two hundred percent behind location indicators for drops on the map. I'd honestly just go with "anything that the loot filter shows, the map shows, for the sake of simplicity. Though with greater range than the "current screen" where you get loot filter tags, of course. :)

The other bonus, from my perspective, would be if I could have *only* the map icons. I don't actually want constant on-screen loot filter labels much, I prefer icon-only style ala D3, but I don't have the choice available me so much here.
"
SlippyCheeze wrote:
I would strongly suggest you avoid financial arguments when making suggestions to game developers. Over the last couple decades they have been pretty consistently clear: when players talk economics, developers disregard it, because the players have no idea what the actual numbers and trade-offs being made are.

Neither do they. In any case, that wasn't really the focus of what I said. Apologies if I made it seem so. Trade-offs ARE being made, because a studio has limited resources, and those trade-offs are leading to an overall lower quality game in exchange for more content. I.e., quantity over quality.

"
Instead, they consistently recommend focusing on why an idea is going to improve the game experience, or why something isn't "fun" for you, personally.

My statement was a criticism of existing priorities, though it does indirectly follow your suggestion:

I find that problems with existing content interfere with my fun more than an absence of enough new content.

That includes active skill gems which are 50X as powerful as others, long-lasting noobtraps on the skilltree, buggy and missing dialogue in the base game, poorly implemented (past) league mechanics still in need of improvements, and many others.

And yes, small QoL improvements such as improved loot management via the suggestion here, a more user-friendly UI for managing dozens of tabs, preservation of all minions between logouts, the ability to disable music in your hideout rather than gamewide, etc. etc. are also included.

These are not sexy uses of a dev studio's time, they don't generate press, but man oh man do they make an already good game into a great one.
Wash your hands, Exile!
Last edited by gibbousmoon on Apr 5, 2018, 7:15:08 AM
"
gibbousmoon wrote:
These are not sexy uses of a dev studio's time, they don't generate press, but man oh man do they make an already good game into a great one.
Sadly, that is why this will never be done. GGG have strict rules that if they can't market it on a press tour, it's not worth doing.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info