[3.2] Deadeye Chin Sol - 1m+ real Shaper DPS+Fast Clear, low-mid budget

Started the league with yet another Pathfinder Windripper MF but decided to respec to Deadeye and go for more single target.

I haven't paid more than 60c for any of the Abyss jewels. Shroud of the lightless is cheaper than a real 6 link and gives more DPS. The bow doesn't even need to be 6 linked for boss killing, and +1 drillnecks are only about 1.5ex for a decent one. Dying Sun is a major upgrade, but will nearly double the budget. Not strictly necessary if you're on a very tight budget. I've killed Red Elder, Shaper, and Uber Atziri on it. If you only want to spend about 5ex, scroll to the bottom.

The other big but expensive upgrade is to get a second quiver + windripper, as the knockback is just annoying for many bosses, and clearing with WR is much smoother.

As for a clear skill, you can use any of the usual suspects (TS, LA, Ice Shot). I prefer Ice Shot for reasons I'll get to later.

Why Deadeye over Raider

Deadeye gives us the following advantages:

1. Life gain on hit

Between this and Vaal Pact, you can facetank quite well. If you attack 4 times a second, and your barrage fires 11 projectiles, you're looking at 1320 heal/sec. Combine this with VP, and a 5500 HP character will heal approximately 3500 HP/sec without the use of any leech nodes.

2. Free pierce

This lets us take full advantage of the 50% increased damage mod on Drillneck without needing any other investment (skill tree or pierce gem). Also helps with clearing as well.

3. Lots of free crit chance/multi

100% increased crit chance against pierced targets, 80% inc crit against bleeding enemies, 40 crit multi against bleeding enemies, and built in bleed chance. Insanely high amount of DPS.

4. Accuracy is practically a dump stat

Ice Golem + a single T1 accuracy roll on any piece of gear (or multiple equivalent smaller rolls) will pretty much give you 93%+ chance to hit.

Current Gear+PoB (a little out of date)

Still need to redo some resists on gear and respec from Alira to skillpoints, finish up buying Abyss jewels, and make some minor tree tweaks.

Boss bow:

Clearing bow:

Everything else:

For jewels, see the PoB link.

Current PoB

PoB: https://pastebin.com/b0aiZaik

20/20 gems, no BSing with charges or anything, and monster level 86.

Note that if you import real gear, you have to fix the +2 projectiles mod on Dying Sun to get current versions of PoB to recognize it, as well as both the 50% increased damage and +1 arrow mod on drillneck.

Optimized PoB

Somewhat more optimized PoB: https://pastebin.com/1qk8DtpD

This one has a few more levels and includes the changes I'd like to make to my tree. 1.725m Shaper DPS.

Darkness Enthroned Version

https://pastebin.com/FL0r0SUk

This version sacrifices some life to get DPS. Note that you'll have to make up resists somewhere. Probably means spending more on rings/helmet.

Gem Links

Main barrage: Barrage - GMP - WED - Ele Focus - Added Cold/Lightning (check PoB to see which gives you more).

You can drop GMP eventually once something else would give you more DPS (generally once you have Dying Sun), but I prefer it for the extra LGoH from Deadeye passives. In addition, for drawn-out boss fights like Uber Atziri, your Dying Sun won't be up 100% of the time anyway.

Clear skill: As I said in the intro, you can use LA, TS, or Ice Shot.
Ice shot is the best for most bosses, since it will drop chilled ground and slow them. All you have to do is click once, then your Mirage Archer will handle it for a few seconds.

For Ice Shot, the links should be:

Ice Shot - GMP - Ice Bite - WED - Mirage Archer - (Added cold/light for 6L)

If you have separate bows for bossing/clearing, then the boss bow could use LMP instead of GMP.

For Tornado Shot/Lightning Arrow, the links are basically the same.

Other Links:

Herald of Ice - Curse on Hit - Assassin's Mark (not necessary for pure bossing)

Ice Golem

Blink Arrow - Faster Attacks

CWDT - Immortal Call

Wrath (if you absolutely can't get enough Int, swap for Anger)

Alternative main links for swap bow:

Ice Shot - GMP/LMP - Mirage Archer - Ice Bite, and some combination of:

Curse on Hit + A curse
Power Charge on Crit
Blind
Culling Strike

Use this kind of setup in your Chin Sol if you have a Windripper to swap to on demand. It acts as more of a support setup to buff your main attack/debuff enemies. Curses generally won't do much against Shaper/Guardian (and they definitely shouldn't be used against Uber Atziri) but against run-of-the-mill bosses a 20/20 ele weakness is still -17% resists.

Note that PCoC doesn't actually work with mirage archer, but it's still quite good for getting some charges up.

Note about bow swapping

Chin Sol is by far the highest DPS bow you can get on an ele bow build - a mirrored ele bow still won't beat it at close range. However, the knockback can end up pushing enemies out of the "at close range" area, so it ends up being worse than a Windripper for many bosses. That's part of the reason I'd highly recommend also having a Windripper handy, but there's certainly nothing wrong with pure Chin Sol.

Many bosses are immune to knockback, so it's completely safe to use Chin Sol there. Shaper and his guardians, Elder and his guardians, and all the bosses other than the Trio in Atziri/Uber. However, even if a boss is not knockback immune, it can still be useful to cheese a melee boss using knockback - it makes the Uber trio a joke (though the adds can still be a thread if you let too many spawn).

You also may want to switch back to the Windripper for add phases - I use it for Elder's "captured phase", but Chin Sol for the rest of the fight.

Lower Budget Version

No Dying Sun, no opal ring, no +1 drillneck. Went on poe.trade, found some 5c max jewels and put in a few copies of them.

https://pastebin.com/xzQ9JuRS

Budget at current prices:

3ex for shroud + maybe 1ex to 5s/5l it
60c for 2 socket tombfist
No more than 40c for the jewels
Maybe 1ex to 5link the Chin Sol (the bow itself costs a couple chaos for one with perfect attack speed)
Rest of the gear has a negligible cost, putting the total at 4.5-6ex depending on how lucky you get on 5 linking. Still less than a typical build would spend on a single 6 link. Not bad for a fast clearing + all-bosses-viable build.

Why Shroud

Shroud is generally the best chest for an ele build that doesn't do 100% (or close to it) of a single damage type. In this case, our damage is spread approximately evenly between lighting and cold, as well as a bit of fire.

PoB inflation e-peen BIG NUMBERS!!!11

This is in no way remotely attainable but everyone else is doing it so I have to.

On a serious note, be watchful of accidentally-inflated numbers. For example, if you want Shaper DPS, you have to put the monster level to 86 manually because otherwise it caps at 84. People also forget to disable HoI+curse on hit setups for bosses, so that contributes to accidental inflation as well.

Leveling

Leveling Tree:

For the tree, there's really nothing that you'd take and the spec out of later. Just progress through the real tree, prioritizing either damage or life as needed. Don't worry about crit as much early on.

Leveling Gear:

The best bow to use is Storm Cloud. At level 32, you can switch to the upgraded version, The Tempest. The Tempest has similar DPS to a Windripper as you get more flat ele damage on the rest of your gear. Note that both of these have no physical base damage, but you need some in order to inflict bleeding, so by the time you pick up your last ascendancy you'll need to make sure you have a physical damage roll on some piece of gear. Drillneck can take care of that.

Tabula is useful as always.

Thief's Torment is a nice ring to use, since it takes care of life and mana leech for a while, but it can make it harder to cap resists later on.

Everything else is just life, resists, and flat ele damage.

Bandits:

Killing is optimal, but Alira is fine if you're having issues with resists.

Ascendancies:

Fast and Deadly first for the mobility.

Gathering Winds second.

Powerful Precision third.

Rupture last. Make sure you have some flat phys so you can actually bleed enemies.

Map mods

Ele reflect: Can't do at all. If you're running sextanted maps, save it until you get the no reflect sextant.
Phys reflect: Use windripper (or upgraded storm cloud if you can't afford one). Shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't use a Chin Sol, since it has too much physical damage.
No Leech: Risky but doable. Bring a life/hybrid flask (depending on your mana/mana regen). For normal mobs, just take them out at a distance. For bosses, the life gain on hit combined with evasion should keep you alive. I was able to clear a no leech racecourse easily.

Boss Tips

Elder Guardians: None of them are really a threat. Most of their skills can be facetanked, and the ones that can't are easy enough to be dodged.

Elder: First phase is fairly easy. Don't get frozen and you should be fine. You should be able to power through the first phase fast enough for the adds to not become a problem, but take them out if it seems like you're taking too long.

For the captured phase, use your golem and blink arrow as distractions to keep the adds off of Shaper. Use ice shot to keep chilled ground around the portals, and try to use some barrages to kill the portals themselves. I'd recommend switching to Windripper for this part.

For the final phase, just sit in the circle and shoot. Don't let too many adds build up.

Shaper Guardians: Most of them are the usual (don't get hit). 5.5k+ HP should be enough to tank most of their skills unless the map mods are really nasty.

Shaper: Shaper himself isn't much of a threat. You can easily blink arrow away from most of the skills. Don't try to facetank the laser.

Uber Atizi: Barrage should make short work of the Vaal duo. For the trio, go for the ranged one first, then the other two. Chin Sol knockback works wonders here against the two melee guys. For Atziri herself, put out some blink arrows at the start of each split phase and don't hit the mirror. I usually position myself to the side of one of the splits, and barrage it so that there's no chance of piercing and hitting the mirror. The biggest issue here is the reflect, so you might need to not use Chin Sol during the non-split parts.

Other Possible Gear

If you just need a bow swap for phys reflect maps or Uber Atziri, but can't afford a Windripper, consider "The Tempest" (upgraded Storm Cloud). My PoB only shows me losing 2.1% DPS versus Windripper, and the superior attack speed means faster LGoH. Note that in order to inflict bleeding, you need to have some physical damage, so you'll need some piece of gear to have a flat phys roll (probably drillneck).

While leveling, you can throw on some IIQ gear to get a bit of extra currency (apart from the Windripper). The easiest is Sadima's touch, as neither Tombfist nor Sadimas has any resists nor attributes.

In addition, with enough int, a Hyrri's Demise (upgraded Hyrri's Bite) will provide more damage than a Drillneck. However, a +1 Hyrri's is much more expensive than a +1 Drillneck.

Changelog

Added quick boss guide.
Added the other items section.
Added leveling section.

Last edited by windxp on Apr 25, 2018, 9:30:28 PM
Last bumped on May 12, 2018, 12:23:23 PM
Hi. I'm leveling my ranger and should be hitting L90+ this week so I put in my current gear with your passive tree and 20/20 gem setup/flasks and I appear to be getting way less barrage dps. I'm still in the process of linking my chin sol, but even with your gear using Windripper I'm missing a lot whether I use my +2 additional arrow quiver or with a +1 drillneck in.

Stat wise in PoB / PoE planner it's pretty close with my stats being higher in a few categories so the discrepancy seems weird. I have fairly equivalent jewels to place in all the extra sockets your build uses.

Could this be something I'm not doing within PoB to make it register properly cause it's literally hundreds of thousands of dps difference.
"
daishinzo wrote:
Hi. I'm leveling my ranger and should be hitting L90+ this week so I put in my current gear with your passive tree and 20/20 gem setup/flasks and I appear to be getting way less barrage dps. I'm still in the process of linking my chin sol, but even with your gear using Windripper I'm missing a lot whether I use my +2 additional arrow quiver or with a +1 drillneck in.

Stat wise in PoB / PoE planner it's pretty close with my stats being higher in a few categories so the discrepancy seems weird. I have fairly equivalent jewels to place in all the extra sockets your build uses.

Could this be something I'm not doing within PoB to make it register properly cause it's literally hundreds of thousands of dps difference.

If you post your PoB I can take a look. Most likely it’s PoB not recognizing the new +arrow mods (as well as the increased damage against pierced targets on Drillneck) since the wording got changed in 3.2. This also affects Dying Sun. Any time you see a mod that shows up as red instead of blue, it means PoB doesn’t know how to use it. Make sure you also set everything in the config tab, like tailwind and intimidated. Also if you’re using shroud, make sure the barrage setup is marked as being socketed in the chest. If you imported then set them to 20/20 it should already be done for you, but if you put in the gem links from scratch then you have to do it yourself.
Hello, trying your build and it's a lot of fun and very balanced, but i cannot calculate my real dps on pob, can you tell me how to fix dying sun and drillneck?
and how is it possible that i have more dps using windripper than the chin sol for barrage? i have set more or less all as you. Thanks in advance!
Bandits?? I don't see any info about which to save or kill
"
oknelok wrote:
Bandits?? I don't see any info about which to save or kill

Added it. It's kill all 3 unless you really need resists in which case you help Alira.
https://pastebin.com/cHFsWrGz

when can I start to drop thief's torment and rely on my own pure dps for life and mana leech?

what is my next step?

get the jewel nodes and start socketing the dmg and + life abyss jewels?
"
boozee wrote:
https://pastebin.com/cHFsWrGz

when can I start to drop thief's torment and rely on my own pure dps for life and mana leech?

what is my next step?

get the jewel nodes and start socketing the dmg and + life abyss jewels?

Once you have vaal pact and/or the "Rupture" ascendancy node you should be fine without thief's torment.

If you change your amulet, just remember to get some physical damage on another piece of gear, because without physical damage you can't cause bleeding.

Next steps would be investing in more crit nodes, point blank, getting jewels, and finishing out some of the damage clusters. With diamond flask+ascendancies+crit nodes, you should end up with 60% crit on The Tempest.

You can go damage+life or pure damage jewels, but if you're planning to use that belly endgame, you don't need as much life.

I'd say use GMP on your Ice Shot instead of LMP. I only use LMP on my swap because it's meant more for supporting my barrage, not for slowing.
"
windxp wrote:
Once you have vaal pact and/or the "Rupture" ascendancy node you should be fine without thief's torment.

If you change your amulet, just remember to get some physical damage on another piece of gear, because without physical damage you can't cause bleeding.

Next steps would be investing in more crit nodes, point blank, getting jewels, and finishing out some of the damage clusters. With diamond flask+ascendancies+crit nodes, you should end up with 60% crit on The Tempest.

You can go damage+life or pure damage jewels, but if you're planning to use that belly endgame, you don't need as much life.

I'd say use GMP on your Ice Shot instead of LMP. I only use LMP on my swap because it's meant more for supporting my barrage, not for slowing.

ok, vaal pact or rapture. thanks for clearing this up.

can I get + physical dmg on a piece of jewel? would that work?

have the shroud ready, just need to be the right level. belly is just something I use for easier lvling, and I have it.

will try out the GMP, as I mainly use ice shot to clear mobs and barrage for boss or tough rare beasts.

how important is the +1 arrow from drillneck? ran low on currency, so I was thinking if I should go for 10+ jewels first or drillneck + additional arrow first.

"
boozee wrote:
ok, vaal pact or rapture. thanks for clearing this up.

can I get + physical dmg on a piece of jewel? would that work?

have the shroud ready, just need to be the right level. belly is just something I use for easier lvling, and I have it.

will try out the GMP, as I mainly use ice shot to clear mobs and barrage for boss or tough rare beasts.

how important is the +1 arrow from drillneck? ran low on currency, so I was thinking if I should go for 10+ jewels first or drillneck + additional arrow first.

You can get the physical damage anywhere, although if you get a Drillneck it's covered. It's not something you would really want on a jewel end game once you switch to Windripper/Chin Sol.

The +1 arrow is fairly important, but having a few decent jewels is probably more important. It's not that expensive to get on a Drillneck (especially if you buy fletcher cards and turn them in youself on a level 1). Also make sure you have the "Powerful Precision" ascendancy node before you get a +1 drillneck, otherwise you won't have any pierce for your barrage.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info