Should I collect all loot, or...?

Just not worry until max level?

I'm only level 32, but feel like loot just slows my game down, and I NEVER find something I can use, without messing one of my lower level items / skill gems up...

I need help, tips, experiences, and a general rule of thumb for loot and when I should start worrying about it.

Thanks guys!
Last bumped on Mar 16, 2018, 5:54:32 PM
Hey,
just download neversink's loot filter, and you'll know what to pick or what not to pick.
always aim for res's on our gear + life
get some chaoses and buy some stuff (usually its 1-2c at that level, some good leveling gear)
good luck, i hope u're playing HC.
No you shouldn’t. In fact you should install a loot filter to hide crappy loot. Neversink’s is popular and has progressive levels of strictness available.

Even with a loot filter active, you don’t pick up everything but you kind of need to play and learn what’s useful vs what isn’t . One of the nice things about loot filters like neversink’s is when something rare and potentially valuable drops, you will know because the filter will make it stand out more in very obvious ways.
Wow this will make the game much more fun! IS there a strong end game? As much if not more than D3/D2?
"
Wow this will make the game much more fun! IS there a strong end game? As much if not more than D3/D2?

I would argue the endgame is stronger that either but very different

the endgame is the atlas/maps and there are some very strong bosses that most builds cant even really do in the form of shaper/elder

the issue is sometimes maps dont drop as much as one would like and you kind of stall out or you have to buy them
I dont see any any key!
"

The endgame is more like D3 than D2, I think - more randomness, less focused on the same maps, because of the completely random drops.

I think it is very strong. You end up on maps, which are basically random versions of the zones you encounter while you level, with some variations. They have their own flavor, unique boss, shape, etc. There are over 150 of them, ranging in difficulty, plus some asides, some unique maps with their own unique mechanics, a variety of extra boss fights at various levels.

The maps now also have the shaper/elder war mechanic going on, and you still have access to, eg, breaches which eventually give access to breach zones with their own rewards and boss mechanics, abysses, etc.

Oh, and beastcrafting in the current temporary league, which is kind of a fusion of a D3 season, and a testing ground for new mechanics. Some of those make it to the core game full time, some make it to temporary mods available through zana to add extra mechanics to your maps, some just vanish if they are not fun enough.

So, yeah, there is a lot of endgame. Your first goal should be to figure out how to get to maps, which is more difficult than it may initially seem (and don't forget: without actively thinking about defense, you *will* die), and then start getting up to yellow and red tier maps. (Basically, they are in order of relative difficultly white, yellow, red.)

Then you can figure out what you want: the labyrinth, high tier maps, endgame bosses like Shaper, etc, are all available if you want. Some of us are happy, now, just pootling around maps and blowing stuff up, too. Don't even have to get to those serious business bosses if you don't want to, and there is still plenty to do.

Personally, I also enjoy the challenge that SSF play - solo self found - brings, but trade is also available if you wish.
"
SlippyCheeze wrote:
Some of us are happy, now, just pootling around maps and blowing stuff up, too.

Yep. :)
"
Saevan wrote:
"
SlippyCheeze wrote:
Some of us are happy, now, just pootling around maps and blowing stuff up, too.

Yep. :)

Actually, that reminds me, I omitted one other end-game play style: it is actually kind of fun to play around with the wide range of available builds, and you can get some really interesting ones that are fine to get to white and yellow maps, but can't get too much further.

Like the "balance" build I enjoy: it uses the Elemental Equilibrium mechanism, which gives things high resist against elemental damage you hit them with, and lowered resists against other sorts of elemental damage, in a self-cast spell build. It uses a combination of two different elemental spells to toggle that back and forth, maximizing the damage of both, where EE is usually really not a self-cast elemental damage thing.

It is ... really not the most amazing build in the world, in the sense that it has a whole pile of drawbacks, but it is so clever and fun to play around with. So, yeah, you can just mess about with builds and have a whole set of different experiences there as well.
This is great info.. I'm level 36, would anyone ever be open to friending my character, and helping me learn and get good?

Eventually I'd like to get my toon so powerful it'll do well in duels. I loved D2 PVP outside of rogue encampment.

I played D2 religiously for years, from 2003-2007...

Had Perf CoA w/ Enigma on my WW barb etc.
"
...I need help, tips, experiences, and a general rule of thumb for loot and when I should start worrying about it.

New player here, since last League.

Yes, most definitely, use a loot filter. Later, you'll learn how to customize it, too.

Don't sacrifice too much time picking up random drops. If you're about to head back to town, load up on whatever is laying around so you can vendor it for the currency/mats.

Focus first on drops you can use. Pick those up. If they turn out not to be any good for you, they might be good for someone else. Check the market to see what sorts of items are there that are like those you can't use in order to see if it's worth trying to sell. If not, vendor it for the mats.

Ghazzy has a great video series that goes over all the basics and also has individual vids for each item slot in order to show you what are the most valuable stats/affixes for that type of gear. Watch a few of them, here and there, when you can in order to figure out how to tell good gear from crap gear, so you're time and inventory space isn't wasted. :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/GhazzyTV

(I was a longtime D2 player, as well. There are some similarities with D2 in PoE, but it's really a much different game than D2. It has become its own game, despite the inspiration that started it having come from the desire to create a spiritual successor to D2. That's not a bad thing at all and with PoE's good production values, as long as those remain, it's a good game, worthy of any ARPG enthusiast.)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info