[3.2 THEORY CRAFT] Tri-Curse Occultist LL RF/Scorching Ray ENDGAME Build

TLDR: I saw some sweet buffs to ES in occultist and I am interested in how RF/Scorching Ray will perform on the new occultist. BUILD IS DEFINITELY SUBJECT TO CHANGE IF BUILD IS NOT AS GOOD AS I THOUGHT OR PATCH NOTE MAKES THE BUILD BAD.

EDIT(2/26/2018): Changed the helmet from The Vertex to Heretic Veil (SO DON'T MIND THE GEAR SECTION). Because of the change, the build can now support TRI-CURSE, also no need to manually proc curses anymore! Will update the build write-up tomorrow when I have time.
Also updated level 90/100 tree.

Hi guys, I have only created a few successful builds in the past, so I would consider myself a novice at making a build. I have recently played RF in Abyss league and I really like the playstyle of it. I have played the life and LL version of RF, but I found myself enjoying the LL version a lot more since it has more damage and can be paired with a scorching ray ability (unlike life version where you will wear a Kaom's in the chest).

The downside to the build right now as I see is that while it does more damage than the guardian version of LLRF, it is pretty glass-cannon when it comes to physical damage reduction/mitigation (also doesn't cap block). Also not sure about the ES regen. The occultist passive to ES when kills enemy should boost the ES regen, but I can't be sure until POB rolls out the new update to include the changes.

The cost of the build can also be a downside for some people since most of the gears are pretty expensive. But since this is a LL build, and I don't really have a problem with accumulating currencies, this is fine by me.

Any feedback on the build (tree path/gears suggestion/skill gem optimization) is definitely welcomed and needed!

Mechanics
Spoiler
- Auras: Vitality, Purity of Fire, Purity of Ice, Purity of Lightning, Arctic Armour, Discipline
- Curses: Enfeeble, Flammability, Despair (From Witchfire Brew)
- Scorching ray for more degen
- Orb of Storm to proc ele prolif (from Doryani's), Arcane Surge, EO and EE
- RF goodness
- Shield charge everywhere

Tree at lvl 90/100
Spoiler
NOTE: The tree does not reflect the new ascendancy.
Level 90: https://pastebin.com/GaejLZZZ
Level 100: https://pastebin.com/57zULSmw

Ascendancy
Spoiler

Wicked Ward -> Vile Bastion -> Profane Bloom -> Malediction

Gears
Spoiler
NOTE: The gears below are definitely not optimized, but you get the idea of what the gears look like.

Pretty much the standard ES gears. Vertex might be able to be upgraded to a gg tier ES helm with mana reservation enchant. Belt can definitely be upgraded to a gg elder/shaped crystal with the %ES regen suffix for more comfortable ES regen. Gloves can be enchanted with commandment of light for more regen.
Last edited by BrokeNYUKid on Feb 27, 2018, 4:04:48 AM
Last bumped on Mar 16, 2018, 8:19:31 PM
I'm considering this build and a google search leads me straight to your post. Glad to have someone share the same idea. Some thoughts:

1. We have up to 30% ES recovery from Bastion. I think that is really enough for mapping in general, compared to the petty life regen we gain from the tree. You can drop all the life regen nodes and invest in area of effects and heart of flame nodes instead?
2. I'm not sure those purity of flesh nodes are for ?
Nice build. I'm thinking of going for something similar. It's a strength stacking Doon Cuebiyari build. I'm not an RF expert, but I took a Guardian LL build and just tweaked it around. Let me know what you think.

It has 10k ES and 11k (22k with Rumi's) Armor, but less Max Resists (81/80/79). I have 2 itemization sets, default is end-game and a budget version.

https://pastebin.com/M3KEnfWV

The budget has about 6k ES with 9k (21k with Rumi's) armor, with like 1-5c items in each slot. Not sure if Prism Guardian is expensive early game, but can just use Rise of the Phoenix and drop a few auras. And it's probably better because you don't have 21 PoF early game.

We're all just walkin' through this darkness on our own.
Last edited by Constraint on Feb 26, 2018, 6:13:10 PM
"
xpmrz wrote:
I'm considering this build and a google search leads me straight to your post. Glad to have someone share the same idea. Some thoughts:

1. We have up to 30% ES recovery from Bastion. I think that is really enough for mapping in general, compared to the petty life regen we gain from the tree. You can drop all the life regen nodes and invest in area of effects and heart of flame nodes instead?
2. I'm not sure those purity of flesh nodes are for ?

Hi, thanks for posting @xpmrz !

1. Life regen node is taken because I take Zealot's Oath, which converts life regen to es regen. I feel that the ES regen is definitely needed since ES is our primary defense mechanism - We just stack es and es regen and RF damage scales with ES. Also, just having max fire res alone is not enough to stop the degen from RF. I am looking at the raw regen stat from POB and it is still not as much as I had hoped (compared to my current Guardian LL RF). If the new Occultist ES regen node works really well, then having the base regen is definitely quality of life (If you rely on only killing enemies then you are pretty much screwed when you have to backtrack or when you are facing bosses). More regen also means tanking traps in uber lab if you are looking to run labs as well.

2. Presence of Chayula amulet converts 20% of our max life to ES, so getting max life is also a good thing if path to ES nodes take too long. Purity of Flesh gives us chaos res as well, which is always good since we already overcap on ele res. But then again, I haven't really optimized the tree yet/waiting for patch note to drop and see if there is any juicy ES item so I can path tree differently. So skill tree is definitely tentative to changes.
Last edited by BrokeNYUKid on Feb 26, 2018, 10:03:19 PM
Hi. I can use this with "Infernal Mantle" 2b2g2r or "Incandescent heart" 3b1g2r. And what kind of gems better for these colors? Just i have corupted things.
Hey I REALY want to do this build for clear speed, but I was wondering if your energy shield can start regening even if youre taking dammage from RF. CHeers
Always remember that this is a "BETA" and we are here to "TEST".
"
Hey I REALY want to do this build for clear speed, but I was wondering if your energy shield can start regening even if youre taking dammage from RF. CHeers

it can - however, barely, at least with my current version of the build. mapping is easy as you get perma regen from the occultist ascendancy. but sustaining boss fights is hard, even with vitality, 86% fire res, stone golem and multiple sources of lifereg from gear and passives, i only get ~70 es reg/s. this is in my eyes the bottleneck of the build, but please consider that my gear is very bad as i am poor as fuck in this league. i think if you throw some currency at the build, it can be possible to reach a satisfying amount of regen. also dont forget to spec the right pantheon powers to reduce DoT. if you have any suggestions on how to stack more life regen, please post.
Cheers
Any update on the build? Have you done guardians/shaper yet? Curious to see how far you could take this :)
Good work, seems like a solid fun build!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info