[3.1] [SC] Poison Wasp Nest Blade Flurry/Reave Assassin

Introduction

This is my straightforward poison Assassin build made in 3.1 Abyss league. Not the best one I suppose, my gear could be probably better, but the build does deal its 1M+ Shaper DPS and 2M+ Mapping DPS, clears all maps without problem including guardians (not all deathless however :) - just clears), and I finally succeeded to kill Shaper with it which I've never done before :)

The build idea was simple - take new poison nodes and new poison items and try to build a classic Blade Flurry Assassin with all of them (and maybe try to use Viper Strike for single-target). However during leveling I realized that Reave is currently way better for clearing maps than BF. So I switched to Reave and used it all the way until Shaper and Guardians, where Blade Flurry's combined single-target and area capabilities really start to shine.

The only drawback is that it's not a tanky build, it has only around 5k life with evasion and dodge (acrobatics). The rest is OK for me. Life sustain via Life Gain On Hit is also an advantage since instant leech via Vaal Pact was removed, in fact, LGOH feels almost like old vaal pact during mapping.

Skills

Spoiler

Main skill

For bosses including Shaper: Blade Flurry / Added Chaos / Melee Phys / Deadly Ailments / Vile Toxins / Unbound Ailments.

For map clear you have 2 options:

1) use Blade Flurry and just change Unbound Ailments to Increased AoE.

2) change Blade Flurry to Reave and Melee Phys to Multistrike.

The best DPS with Blade Flurry is achieved if you not just hold the attack button, but if you repeatedly press it, wait until channeling reaches 6 stages, release and start over - at the moment of release you instantly deal roughly the same damage as during the previous 6 stages :)

For leveling use Reave / Added Chaos / Melee Phys / Multistrike in your Embalmer gloves.

Curses

Blasphemy + Despair + Temporal Chains

Golem

Lightning Golem is the best

Totem

Ancestral Protector + Melee Splash + Maim + Melee Phys or Ruthless

Gives some DPS boost by granting you additional attack speed and maiming enemies, also deals some damage by itself.

Spell Totem + Wither + Faster casting + Inc AoE

Gives more DPS boost if Wither gets to 10-15 stacks, but it's hard to keep it up all of the time - either totem or enemy dies. So I often prefer Ancestral Protector.

Movement

Whirling blades + Faster attacks + Fortify

Remember to keep Fortify most of the time, its 20% reduced damage taken from hits really helps.

Immortal Call

Cast when Stunned + Immortal Call + Increased Duration

Gear Example

Spoiler

Gear Explanation

Spoiler

Off-hand: Wasp Nest

Best claw for poison builds since double-dipping was removed from the game. It deals additional chaos damage to enemies affected by 5+ poisons which basically means "to all enemies which weren't oneshot" for us since we are attacking 8+ times in a second.

And yes, we are attacking with our off-hand because of the "Ambidexterity" node at the bottom of our tree: +20% attack speed for us is better than +26% damage.

Main hand: Breath of the Council

It gives us up to +100% chaos damage, some increased AoE and the ability to also use Leap Slam if we want to. It is slower than Whirling Blades, but allows you to jump over obstacles. I prefer Whirling Blades, but maybe someone else will prefer Leap Slam - who knows.

Body armour: Cospri's Will or Dendrobate

- Shaper/Guardian DPS with Cospri + 2 curses and with Dendrobate + 150 int is very similar, with Dendrobate + 150 int + Temp Chains it is slightly better.
- Mapping DPS is better with Cospri + 2 curses, and it gives us "Your Curses can apply to Hexproof Enemies" which is irrelevant against Shaper, but useful in maps.
- Dendrobate has some elemental resistances so it's easier to cap resists with it. However, it has 150 intelligence requirement for extra poison duration, which we are also slightly short of.
- Cospri has more evasion (2000) and some extra movement speed. Dendrobate has some ES, but it doesn't matter because with Acrobatics we only get 50% of it.
- Both easily give us 100 % poison chance we need: Dendrobate via its pseudo-7-link, Cospri via 60% chance to poison against cursed enemies (we are melee, so the enemies are always near us, so they're always cursed).
- Both chests have no +max life. It is the drawback of both.

I used Cospri and two curses (Temporal Chains + Despair).

Gloves: The Embalmer

The Embalmer gives us a pseudo-5-link during the leveling process - with it we don't really need 5-link chest until we have a 6-link one. :) In fact I used it till the beginning of red tier maps and had no DPS problems.

It is hard to beat DPS boost of these gloves with any rare ones, so I don't recommend rare gloves - but you can try if really want to.

Boots

Rare with evasion, life, 30 % movement speed and resists.

Helm

Rare with evasion, life, resists and, if possible, strength and/or intelligence that we are missing on our tree.

I used Armour/Evasion "Nightmare Bascinet" - handy for coloring into 4R sockets and putting Ancestral Protector totem in.

Rings and Amulet

Rare with life, resists, strength, intelligence, preferably some accuracy and some added physical damage - balance by yourself :) aim for at least 90 % hit chance and note that added accuracy may be better than physical damage sometimes.

Belt

Stygian Vise of course - with life and resists.

Abyss Jewels

With Abyss Jewels GGG had finally implemented my old idea - flat added life on jewels. It's really handy for this build because as an Assassin you have not that many sources of increased life... and you need at least around 5K life to feel yourself comfortably.

So, we use 3 abyss jewels (2 in tree, 1 in belt) with life (ideally at least +45 on each), flat added accuracy (helps to reach 90+% hit chance), and one of your three jewels should have 4-6% chance to blind enemies on hit which in fact helps your evade chance a lot. Besides that, aim for added phys/chaos damage with attack and/or claws.

Flasks

Coralito's Signature

Diamond Flask is a must because our crit chance is not the highest by itself (only ~36.25% if the enemy is not on low or full life). Coralito's Signature also gives us free pluggable Perfect Agony and is a highest possible DPS boost.

Sin's Rebirth

Gives us additional 30% physical damage as chaos damage and also increases our evasion capabilities because it's a Stibnite Flask (100% increased Evasion + creates a Smoke Cloud).

Silver Flask of Heat

Silver flask is another DPS boost, and having an anti-freeze flask is absolute must for every PoE character.

Remember that it is possible to remove curses from "Players are cursed with XXX" map affix by flask, so change this flask to a Silver Flask of Warding (anti-curse) for such maps.

Panicked Divine Life Flask of Curing (anti-poison)

Panicked Divine Life Flask of Staunching (anti-bleed)

Passive Tree & Ascendancies

Spoiler

PoB (1.4.74) link: https://pastebin.com/erYzw6jd

Ascendancies: Noxious Strike -> Toxic Delivery -> Ambush -> Assassinate.

Bandits: kill all.

Further Improvements

Spoiler

- Get better jewellery - more life, more added physical damage - steel rings probably
- Get a helmet enchant - the best seems to be "Ancestral Protector grants 18% increased attack speed while active"
- Get 21/20 quality on gems (especially Added Chaos Damage)
- (Insane) Get +1 to gem level 6-link Cospri :)

Last edited by vitalif on Feb 27, 2018, 3:25:41 PM
Last bumped on Feb 27, 2018, 3:02:33 PM
I loaded up the PoB link and I'm not seeing 1M+ Shaper DPS. As configured, it shows about 550K. It shows about 1.5M trash DPS. What am I missing? Are you factoring in DPS from Assassin nodes that give more crit when targets are Low Life?

Also, why not use Viper Strike? 20/20 Viper Strike with 5 supports (multi, deadly ailments, added chaos, unbound ailments, vile toxins) will do 1.1M DPS to Shaper with your equipment and tree.
Last edited by Velkhar on Feb 26, 2018, 3:33:53 PM
I suppose it was set from 15 wither stacks in the pob link its set too 1 stack
Need lvling gear graph
550K is if you just channel it continuosly and don't stop.

And BF states "You unleash an additional strike for each stage reached once the channelling ends"...

So if you always release after reaching 6 stacks and start over and over, you deal additional ~700K damage at each release :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info