Bestiary league could have been different and less tedious (prerelease impressions)

Have in mind, this all stands for "average player™" and his view and interactions while playing the game. I am not one, but made this as compendium of initial thoughts and views on topic of bestiary league. Since "average player™" is probably 70% of playerbase, these outputs should hold some value as feedback and initial impressions. I personally can't wait to interact with the game and test it all out for myself to make better judgement of league. So here we go :

"
What is announced :

- 10 tiers of nets
- see a beast you want/need, throw net, reduce hp, capture
- menagerie with limited space for different beasts (supposedly sufficient)
- altar with interesting crafting choices that uses said beasts as form of materials
- arena to fight material beasts in order to craft beastiary specific mod or affect item
- like prophecies, you can seal beasts and trade them
- challenges include gathering all beasts (trading works better lol)

- they wanted to go away from old recipe, which is you enter map, league mechanics appear, you kill stuff, league specific item drops (which is almost exactly the same thing here, but masked under not needed complexity and tedium)

"
What we could get :

- no nets
- you kill a beast, it drops a specific beast stone
- legendary and rare beasts pose a more significant challenge and have significantly higher chance to drop their specific beast stones, their strength comparable to multiessence rares or stronger encounters
- no menagerie clutter, because now we have beast stones and entry in beastiary with a nice picture which is enough for some
- specific stash tab, simmilar to map tab, called beast stone stash tab, which everyone in league gets 1 x for free and has generous space and you can purchase more if you want
-altar in which you select a recipe and auto insert needed beast stones from beast stone stash tab, after which, as shown, beasts spawn in small arena to kill to earn the upgrade
- new vendor recipe, 5 x identical beast stones give you another one from the same tier/power level

So basically, I want to say it could have remained the same, but without the extra effort or wasted efficiency with the nets and limited space menagerie with no way to expand it once we hit the space limit.

My suggestion is basically the "same old" recipe that was used in previous leagues, yet it doesn't change the identity or the novelty of league, only removes what some part of public has declared as unnecessary.

I know there will be no changes, but we have to look at the future, and future holds many more leagues before us which should offer something new.

Main question we should ask ourselves should be, should we sacrifice fun for fantasy, or fantasy for fun? My first impression is that fun was sacrificed for fantasy setting.

"
More cons :

*my guess* - Another league where you can trade to complete all challenges with minimum interaction with league mechanics itself

- Extra hotkey to use net which uses extra inventory space when we could do without it

- Needlessly convoluted system for new league just to appear "different" while the core is very much the same as proposed beast stones solution while keeping some level of complexity in terms of combat difficulty

*my guess* - Complexity isn't the result of masking content with menagerie/nets and colorful beasts, but in crafting mechanics and complex fights that would award us the same result with more effort and not more time wasted

- There is no sense of worth or accomplishment for an average player when he can see that his 50 hours of farming brought him to same result as a person that traded/flipped some on market for few hours and got same beasts through trading opposed to average player investing many more hours and effort

- Tiers of nets add nothing here, if you wanted us to be careful and value league resources, just make the monster that would require top tier of net be more difficult to fight through interesting mechanics, instead of limiting us with something that a 10 million dps build can get over with in 2 seconds or buy for few ex from market

- Base game influences league mechanics in a big manner. Appearance rates of "legendary" monsters will probably be based off trading and economy which means less fun for the average people, just remember abyss league liches complaints. You could have met them on reasonable amounts of time between each encounter, but no, with economy and trading in mind, some never met them and technically unwillingly skipped a part of content which should be available as a challenge and not be tailored by economy

- Succeeding in fighting/crafting strongest of the beasts in arena/altar doesn't guarantee needed outcome of item crafting (example, split item mods into 2 items). Which adds another layer of rng complexity on top of obtaining materials, which incentivizes trading rather than farming simply because of frustration from bad results.

- League challenges should be a reward unto themselves. Meaning, 3 items we get for completing 12/24/36 challenges should be split from challenges. Challenges lose all value when you can complete them by trading and having no interaction with the game in itself. Make those 3 rewards based off/tied to personal achievements which mark development of a player character through league and leave challenges that can be bought for those who want to have nice number next to name on forums.

- Permanence of factor of novelty. How long will this league keep players "hooked"? Initial impressions show mixed feelings from playerbase. Will this be interesting for 7 days and players will revert to same old playstyle and only stop for legendary monsters? Or will they have fun with it for all 3 months to come. League mechanics should be engaging, while remaining fun and following core values of arpg and what makes it awesome. I get it, something new has to be tried, and I commend this attempt for this league.

- Different playstyles should be accounted for in league mechanics. For example, I have my fears of playing a totem or summoner build this league as it could be detrimental for my interactions with league. Vorici quests on summoner flashbacks.

This is such a long wall of text and probably most of forumers won't have the patience to read it, so I don't expect a great discussion, had to get these thoughts off my mind, will make next thread after I've done 90%+ of league content, to see if i changed my mind and was too much of a skeptic or it was as expected. I would add more, but I limited myself to 1 hour of writing so all my thoughts remain fresh and so that I don't repeat identical thoughts with different words.

edit #1: one small positive thing, menagerie means less inventory managment, all those beast stones i proposed, even though they would have their own tab, they would still count as inventory managment, its a step up in that direction, since always we complained how league items clutter our inventories.
Spreading salt since 2006
Last edited by Necromael on Feb 23, 2018, 5:48:11 AM
Last bumped on Mar 3, 2018, 2:28:57 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
I agree on all your points, this is a pretty smart analyse of what the league could have been in a more streamlined process and i'm 100% sur that's exactly what the players gonna ask 2 weeks in the league once everyone got bored of the pokemon skin put on path of exile.

Good analysis.

I still prefer the current announced features as opposed to your suggested features though.
Last edited by almostdead on Feb 23, 2018, 2:25:53 PM
"
Necromael wrote:
Have in mind, this all stands for "average player™" and his view and interactions while playing the game. I am not one, but made this as compendium of initial thoughts and views on topic of bestiary league.

How do you know these represent anything even close to the views of the "average player"? Can we see your raw survey data, or at least a description of the methodology of how you collected this information and filtered it to ensure it conformed with the "average" player? (heck, even on how you determined what "average" was in the context of PoE players?)

"
Necromael wrote:

So basically, I want to say it could have remained the same, but without the extra effort or wasted efficiency with the nets and limited space menagerie with no way to expand it once we hit the space limit.

My suggestion is basically the "same old" recipe that was used in previous leagues, yet it doesn't change the identity or the novelty of league, only removes what some part of public has declared as unnecessary.

This doesn't sound like the views of an "average player" at all. It sounds suspiciously like someone trying to pretend that most players - who never interact on the forums, or reddit - all hate the things that, in truth, are really just the complaints of the original player. That seems like a pretty underhanded trick to try and create an illusion of widespread support in the hope of changing thing to better suit that one person...

You probably would have done better if you had just said:

"

Personally, without any actual play time to form an opinion, I think that the older leagues where you simply walked into something, then killed things, were much better. They didn't require me to stop and think about anything but doing DPS, which is how I prefer to play the game. So, while GGG have achieved the goal of making this different, I'm concerned it means I can't just speed-kill everything and still gain the full benefits of the league, which is how I most enjoy playing.

If nothing else, saying that would have at least encouraged the GGG staff to read it, instead of stopping at the point you duplicitously claimed to be speaking for "the vast, silent majority of players" instead of yourself.

Because who wants to waste time listening to someone pretending they are not expressing their own opinions?
I agree, but ever heard of politics, or hell, even sarcasm? Didnt notice the little "" and tm on average player?

Also, you didn't even touch any of my points, you only criticized the way I wrote and not the statements itself.

No, sorry I can't share my sources due to nda.

I'm still waiting for average players to prove me wrong, sorry.
Last edited by Necromael on Feb 23, 2018, 3:50:00 PM
"
Necromael wrote:
I agree, but ever heard of politics? Also, you didn't even touch any of my points, you only criticized the way I wrote and not the statements itself.

Correct, I did not. As I said, who wants to waste time arguing with the sort of person who literally makes up "alternate facts" when the real, actual facts disagree with them?
"
SlippyCheeze wrote:
"
Necromael wrote:
I agree, but ever heard of politics? Also, you didn't even touch any of my points, you only criticized the way I wrote and not the statements itself.

Correct, I did not. As I said, who wants to waste time arguing with the sort of person who literally makes up "alternate facts" when the real, actual facts disagree with them?

Which facts, do you have the source in some scientific article?

These are forums, chill pls. Anyone can state their opinion, and I've directly put that this is all my subjective view. And my subjective view is that what I stated in the OP. I didn't say I'm making a scientific study.

You are taking the game too seriously.
my impression is that they league would have been OK if they actually slowed the game down significantly, leaving the game as it is now and putting in a forced slowdown mechanic is going to feel really bad.
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Alright, first impression of few hours of play, it feels awful and seeing reports of it being awful straight till mapping and beyond.

I hope we get qol fixes, by the general atmosphere it feels like 30-50% players want to quit this league judging from comments all over forums.
Last edited by Necromael on Mar 3, 2018, 2:33:33 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info