[3.1] Abyssal Wander, everything viable with good scaling

Say hello to LightningFapstSponge, my personal take on a Wander. It can clear everything in the game and scales very well with more investments, but this is NOT a budget build, get your exalts ready.

Path of Building: https://pastebin.com/epTM8c2Z

The Concept
This build is centered around the skills Kinetic Blast and Barrage and uses a Piscator's Vigil in combination with Abyssal jewels for massive flat damage gain
Also, we bow to the meta and become a Pathfinder to massively enhance our Flasks for even more insanity
As usual for a Wander, we scale very well with more and more currency, scaling our damage to ridiculous amounts if we can afford it
This is primarily a Softcore build due to not focusing that much on defense, although you could theoretically do it in Hardcore (if you hate yourself)

The Passives

Your Level 90 tree will look like this
https://poeplanner.com/AAsAAOUACwIBAG-bjQgu7YMZjgBe037veu4OVvp_K_1usXzD5o25MHyNfSP2TZJRRzfU7T_nVCT9_9531-OfZ6CHdkp9JJ1iWn11_roUdVuvpMJOKio4I9NvJ49gmmpM_0Mx2sF07QUtLlPTb41-t7Z1y-pivqdlTb02jb_UIwW1wuy0xWKsbIydqjY9G8jjhA5IXfLP3fGKKgtwUonTjDZVS2HiJpUWvxGWBx6VLvDVSVF_xqKjwfOVIC0fxSj2W1m8TLNFfg5cavrQH-_rBAeD21XGgh4UsJphx8rJRL7uP3Ns5wmgznAAAAAAAA==
We take a bunch of jewel sockets, the Flask Effect cluster as well as The big wand wheel for offense and the usual Life nodes for defense.
Keystones we take are
  • Acrobatics for a bunch of easy defense.
  • Point Blank for a lot of single target damage. Don't be turned off by the long range damage loss, this is not an issue while clearing with Kinetic Blast
  • Vaal Pact doubles your leech rate, making you much more sustainable in boss fights. Since you lose your regen, take a Life Flask when going to the Labyrinth.

Our bandit choice is Alira for crit multi and resistances

The Ascendancy

• 1st: Nature's Boon gives you good elemental protection and makes Flask sustain easier
  • 2nd: Master Alchemist provides elemental status immunity and a little damage boost
  • 3rd: Veteran Bowyer gives you elemental penetration and improves Flask charge gain
  • 4th: Nature's Adrenaline for a little speed and DPS boost

The Gear

The Weapon

A great and really cheap weapon is Piscator's Vigil, providing a big weapon elemental damage increase and penetration
If you can afford it, you could of course go crazy with a 300ex+ mirror tier wand, although it is not THAT much of an improvement
The best base for a rare wand is an Imbued Wand, look for high eDPS, speed and crit
The best possible corruption would be Culling Strike

The Shield

Lycosidae is a great shield that makes gearing much easier, although it is fairly pricey
Other options include Rare Shields with resistances and Life and Esh's Mirror

The Gloves

Tombfists are a great damage boost because they provide 1 abyssal socket and Intimidation, which effectively is 10% more damage. Even better, they are really damn cheap as well, so no reason not to use them
If you want to upgrade, get one with 2 abyssal sockets for even more damage and life
If you struggle with resists or life, use a rare pair of gloves if you really need to
The best enchants are "of Spite" for defense and "of Fury" for offense

The Boots

I'd recommend a rare pair of boots, since you need resistance and life, which not a lot of Uniques can provide
If you want, though, you could go with Atziri's Step or even Bubonic Trail (especially the 2 abyssal socket one)
I recommend the Flat Lightning Damage enchant, although the penetration one is also great

The Belt

This is pretty much up to you, rare Stygian Vises give you massive life, resistance and weapon elemental damage, but a Darkness Enthroned can socket 2 jewels
Choose whichever one you want
For clear speed, as always, Headhunter is amazing if you can get your hands on it

The Helmet

Since Tombfist takes up the Glove slot, we need something else to socket Kinetic Blast into
Thanks to the new War for the Atlas expansion, Elder is a thing, and it's a thing that brings amazing new mods to the table
Therefore, I recommend an Elder Helmet with a +#% critical strike chance to socketed Attacks roll, as well as life and resistance
If you don't want to, or can't afford it, Starkonja's Head is a nice overall damage boost, although it does not boost your Kinetic Blast specifically
If you get your hands on it, The Tempest's Binding is your best option
As expected, a +# Barrage projectiles enchant would be great, although really expensive

The Body Armor

The best possible choice is probably a Shroud of the Lightless, which gives you penetration for all elements, increased Life and an abyssal socket
Also Shade Form is a nice little bonus, although not that great
If you don't care about damage and life that much and wanna go fast, a Queen of the Forest is also a good choice
If you are poor and for some reason want to do this build, go with a 5l Queen of the Forest or even a Tabula if you really want to
If you have the balls, you can vaal your Chest for either +1 to socketed gems or +1 maximum resistances

The Jewellry

This is where you fill out missing stats and get damage boosts, i recommend (in order of priority)
  • Life
  • Resistances
  • Missing stats
  • %damage increases and crit(multi)
  • Flat elemental damage

Flat damage is that low because you already get a lot of it from Abyssal Jewels already
The best ring base are (who would've guessed) Opal Rings, although they can get really expensive
For Amulet choose whichever one suits your stats requirements
Also, allmighty Bisco's Collar is of course an option

The Jewels

Abyss Jewels are the best in slot option, look for
  • Life
  • Flat Elemental Damage
  • Crit Multi
  • Attack Speed

You also need one Conqueror's Potency to give you 50%+ increased Flask effect

The Flasks
  • You definitely want a Quicksilver Flask for speed and a Diamond Flask of Staunching for crit and Bleed Immunity
  • Dying Sun is a must since it provides, at 50%+ flask effect, 3 additional projectiles, which almost doubles Barrage's DPS
  • The Wise Oak provides elemental penetration and a lot of resistance. If you can balance all resistanes on on the same number, it is especially great
  • Atziri's Promise and Vessel of Vinktar are interchangeable, since they provide very similar damage improvements. I personally chose Atziri's Promise since it is easier to sustain; if you got a Double Legacy Vinktar, use that of course
  • Swap one of them out for a Life Flask when running the Labyrinth

The Gems

Barrage

Since we already got loads of flat damage, we don't need that much in our gem setup, so we choose multipliers except for Added Lightning
If you don't use Shroud of the Lightless, use the penetration gem of your highest element as your 6th link

Kinetic Blast

GMP is a must, we also take Elemental Damage with Attacks; also Pierce helps with large packs of monsters
Socket this in your Helmet

Herald of Ice

We link our Herald with Curse on Hit and Poacher's Mark for frenzy charge generation and Flask Charges
Onslaught support triggers often enough to give you Onslaught nearly permanently
If you use a Tempest's Binding, use Assasin's Mark instead
Best looking MTX options are Gore Herald and Gloom Herald, although Purple Herald is nice as well

Wrath & Golems

Wrath provides a huge amount of flat lightning, pretty much a no-brainer
Ice Golem is your best Golem choice for crit chance
Socket this in your Tombfist
If you only got 1 abyssal socket, use the free socket for whatever you want, I recommend a Vaal skill (Haste or Breach), Frenzy or Portal

Orb of Storms

Since you won't trigger your Herald all that often in boss fights, you need another way to apply a curse
I recommend a Orb of Storms setup with Projectile Weakness, since that curse is the best damage improvement
If you feel too squishy, Enfeeble is also a possibility
Put this in either Wand or Shield

Immortal Call

You will probably want an Immortal Call setup to protect yourself against physical damage, use it with Cast when Damage Taken of an appropriate level to automate the process
Increased Duration enhances this buff even further
If you don't want Immortal Call, put a Vaal setup with Haste, Lightning Trap etc. in here

The offhand

Since we don't swap our weapons, use your offhand to level gems for profit.
Notable ones include Enlighten and Empower, but look around yourself to find the most profitable ones at the moment

Leveling

Consider the usual leveling uniques like a Tabula Rasa of course

I recommend doing whatever you want until level 12
Once you hit that, equip two Storm Prisons and start using Barrage

Equip a Volley Fire once you unlock your first jewel socket to improve the clear of Barrage

Reserve your mana with all three heralds until you hit the endgame
Once you hit level 28, start using Kinetic Blast for clearing and Barrage for Single Targets only
Wether you already use 2 seperate setups or put both in your Tabula Rasa is up to you
At level 30, equip a Thief's Torment to make sustain and survival much more easy

At this point, continue going through the Acts as usual
If you want a better Wand, just buy a white one from a Vendor and throw an Essence of Wrath/Anger/Hatred at it and craft crit chance if you can

If you struggle with stats Astramentis is amazing

I included a couple of Leveling trees in the Path of Building Pastebin

The Endgame

Here is where i will add clips of Endgame bosses over time, as i fight them.

Thanks a lot for reading, i hope this build guide proves useful to you.
Feedback is always appreciated, stay sane Exile!
Last edited by SpongeInABottle on Feb 4, 2018, 6:25:51 PM
Last bumped on Feb 5, 2018, 5:11:33 PM
hello, +1 for the build since I'm loving wanders this league
do you think that having 110 or 130 mana feels comfortable for mana leech?
and what about phase acrobatics?
Last edited by Giammafix on Feb 4, 2018, 1:45:17 PM
"
do you think that having 110 or 130 mana feels comfortable for mana leech?

i never ran into any problems with my mana, it should be fine

"
and what about phase acrobatics?

you can take it if you want, it certainly is a great defensive boost, however i went for more offense on my L100 tree
it's pretty much up to you
ranger version
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2051310

scion version
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2074559

there are similarities of course, it wasnt hard to figure out this build too. but besides me, a lot of people released "abyssal" wander guides maybe you'd like to add what your build brings to table while others cannot.
"You have great power. You're right to be proud. It's unfortunate you have to die now, but I will honor you with 45% of my strength."
Last edited by Rupenus on Feb 4, 2018, 1:51:09 PM
Sponge please, don't use so many "The".

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info