[3.2] "Classical" Mjolner by Rico

If u prefer cyclone based Mjolner checkout my Juggernaut Mjolner guide:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1846362/

Changelog:
--------------

2018.02.04: Added alternate item and tree setup for those who want more DPS.
2018.01.31: Added 2 more vids: T15 Sunken City clear and T16 Abyss with Lich.
2018.01.31: Added some additional info into the guide.
2018.01.30: Guide created.

*** "Classical" Mjolner by Rico *** for those who dont like cyclone like me...

Build highlights:
----------------------

+ Crit based "classical" Mjolner (Lightning strike vs packs, Molten strike for Bosses)
+ Ignores enemy elemental resistances 80% of the time
+ 84/79/83 max own resitances unflasked
+ 90/79/89 flasked
+ Fortify
+ Can use Surgeon's flasks
+ 650+ life regeneration with 37%+ chaos resistance to help with countering the DoTs
+ 5 / 5-6 charges or 4/4/4 charges with The Red Trails setup
+ very good life recovery via Kingsguard alone (4-6 endurance charges)
+ 4-5 Discharges per second (depending on gear being used)
+ Phys to ele dmg taken conversion for defence (Watcher's Eye)
+ Can also use Arctic Armour
+ .... maybe just watch the videos allready:

T12 corrupted 129% Racecourse run (crazy mods!) with safer Inya's setup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxQvZQKVNUU

T15 125% corrupted Carcass (with heavy mods) using moar DPS setup with The Red Trails:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trMK26P9y78

T15 Sunken City (vulnerability, extra dmg, boss dmg, boss life etc.) Inya's setup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVCH-BIlUBY

T16 Abyssal Depths (with Lich!) Inya's setup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BH5EsfeKqw

How this build works - in-depth mechanics explanation:
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Spoiler

Mjölner is the item, that this build is based around. All lightning spells socketed into Mjölner are triggered by the hits from attacks with this weapon. We always put the lightning spell Discharge into this item. We can support Discharge with 2 supports gems or one support and use second spell. The best second option is Arc. Mjölner provides an additional chain for all our projectiles and 100% increased dmg of socketed spells, making Arc and Discharge much more powerful.

The great benefit of Romira's Banquet is, that it grants a Power Charge whenever you deal a non-critical strike. Since this build has little melee critical strike chance we are dealing little to non melee critical strikes and therefore we are not loosing Power Charges by using our trigger skills. This way we always have at least one Power Charges whenever Discharge is activated. Due to the order of operations performed by Romira's ring even if we crit with our melee skill charges will be first gained and used for Discharge and than after that any remaining charges will be removed. You can read poe wiki on this.

Since Discharge expends all Power Charges, Voll's Devotion effectively doubles the total amount of charges available for each consecutive Discharge by generating an equal amount of Endurance Charges. As a side-effect we almost always have 1 Endurance Charge to be expended either by next Discharge or by Immortal Call to provide temporal immunity to physical dmg.

This build uses Arc as secound spell in Mjolner. This is on purpose. First of all Arc provides great clear speed vs packs as its autoshoting, autotargeting, chaining, shocking (if u want) and doing lots of dmg on its own. It also provides additional 60k DPS on top of Discharge vs Shaper/Guardian in final build. But it also has other task. Arc is yet another event that generates power / endurance charges in-between discharges. Due to how trigger mechanics work (each spell has its own cooldown and triggered spells are executed from top left to bottom right along socket lines) Discharge is socketed first, than Arc. This way each odd trigger event will cast Discharge while each even trigger event will cast Arc. Discharge, Arc, Discharge, Arc, and so on. So even when Discharge crits and looses power charges, next Arc cast with small critical chance can "resuply" us. Also when Arc crits (and it does it from time to time) all generated power charges will be turned into endurance charges via Volls Devotion to help our life sustain because this build uses also...

Kingsguard provides unique healing ability that is independent of leech. It heals by 100 life per expanded endurance charge instantly. Meaning that if we do 4-5 Discharges per second with 2-5 endurance charges per each we're gaining back 800 - 2500 life instantly each second.

Inya's boots provide us with the unique mechanics regarding power charges. Every event that generate power charge has now a 25% chance to grant us our maximum number of power charges. This translates into more DPS and more endurance charges to expand and heal from.

Because Mjolner requires lots of strength to wear we are taking benefit of Repentance gloves as they provide global Iron Will (a global spell dmg increase coming from strenght).

Finally Saffels Frame for bonus to max resitances that together with all Purities provides build with really high elemental dmg mitigation. 30% global spell dmg increase on top of that.

This build also uses:

Consecrated ground is created very often when hit and on kill. It not only provides global increased dmg but also high life regen.

This is basically Inquisitor's own aura that has good range. It provides 16% MORE DPS and 8% less elemental damage taken for yet another layer of defence vs incoming elemental damage. And to my knowledge it doesnt suffer aura/curse penalty vs Bosses.

This speaks for itself. As this build is heavilly spell-crit based. We also use

this basically allows for second critical chance roll if the first one turn out to be bad for us (rolled non-critical chance) and boost DPS by a great margin. I strongly suggest to use Diamond flask vs every boss and to craft one that provides 3 uses. This together provides an 75%+ effective chance to ignore enemy resistances.

Because this build doesnt need to use Vaal Pakt, it can achieve more than 650+ life regeneration. This combined with high maximum of fire resistance allows it to run Righteus Fire but I wont reccomend it as its rather overkill for allready good DPS. A RF gem provides global more spell dmg, global increased spell dmg. For those who wants to maximise DPS or play in group: use different aura setup that includes Vitality and invest into Watcher's Eye jewel with x% increased life recovery rate for insane life regen. This way RF becomes a viable option.

Cast when damage taken setup with Immortal Call is being used for long temporary physical dmg immunity

High life regeneration with up to 12% chaos resistance from passive tree and another 25%+ from Pantheon and items grants another layer of protection vs chaos dmg dots (poison).

Ot the top we have Fortify with 20% dmg reduction from all sources.

As this build is mostly stationary vs Bosses Arctic Armour can be used as additional physical dmg mitigation layer. Herald of Thunder must be dropped down then.

For those who seek moar DEEPS...

This build can use alternate item and tree setup (just few minor changes) with introduction of:

Supported by:

and:

This way when we plug Chance to Bleed support into our Molten Strike gem setup we reflect bleed we do to ourselfs and The Red Trails can start generating Frenzy Charges on hit. Which means every single hit, from initial attack, from each one of the falling molten strike balls, from Herald of Thunder etc. Every frenzy charge gains increased attack speed, more global DMG and more charges to fuel up each Discharge. Expect 200-250k Shaper DPS with Inya's boots setup and... 280-350k Shaper DPS with The Red Trails. Withour RF.

However in order to stay safer build needs some additional tweaks. Bleed that is reflected back to you is "meh". But dangerous bleeds comes from T13-T15 maps with heavy mods like crit chance + crit mulit + vulnerability + extra dmg as X. In those situation make sure you have good reflex to pop your Stauching flask as those DMG spikes that happens from time to time on those kind of maps can kill you with The Red Trails setup within 2-3 secounds.

Now in order to minimise the risk you must have all the ascendancy points with that much needed life regen while on concecrated ground + some minor gear tweaks like heave life Stygian vise + proper jewel like this one:

As best counter to bleed is armour + high life regen.

200k vs 300k at a cost of some survivability - the choice is yours!

current PoB pastebin:
-------------------------

https://pastebin.com/de6byuKD

Note: This is a full offensive gem setup, you can play around and make it more tankwise: drop Herald of Thunder and add Arctic Armour, drop Arcane Surge and add enfeeble in the CWDT link for example.

Final passive skill tree @ lvl 92 for a safe setup:
-----------------------------------------------------------

passive skill tree

You can take more life u want at a cost of some deeps (4% per power charge, Coordination, Asssasination).

Ascendancy: Inquisitor
-----------------------------

Gear & gems:
------------------

This is safe setup:

Build can be tailored to be more tanky. Add Arctic Armour instead of Herald of Thunder and Enfeeble into CWDT setup for example. Also Im missing some good stuff like "the dream come true belt" - same as above but with much better stats and +1 Endu charge lol.

Diamond Flask and remove bleeding flask are the most important here. This build is crit based, Diamond helps with that. Promise is also nice to have (good dps boost and chaos resistance).

And this is more DPS setup:

Tree is slighlty adjusted for frenzy charges so Im running 4/4/4 or 12 charges in total. And I needed to sacrifice shaped belt for more defensive setup to have some counter to bleed.

Read in-depth mechanics explanation at the top of the guide for additional info.

Here's how the more DPS setup with The Red Trials performs on a T15 129% corrupted map with heavy mods:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trMK26P9y78

And a passive skill tree regarding that setup:

passive skill tree @lvl 93

Jjewels I currently use:
-----------------------------------

And Intuitive Leap near Templar start.

Crit multi that affects both Discharge and Arc is your best friend. And his best friend is second crit multi that affects at least Discharge, together with 6-7% increased maximum life. All other missing stats like erm, stats, resistances etc can also be found here.

Regarding Watcher's Eye: BIS is double phys to ele damage taken conversion (x% of Physical damage taken as fire/light damage when affected by purity of Fire/Light - because we use those puritys).

There's an option for this build to run RF: Herald of Thunder / Arctic Armour needs to be dropped in place of Vitality. Than Watcher's eye with one phys to ele dmg taken conversion + x% Increased life recovery rate would be BIS. With that kind of Watcher's Eye and while on Consecrated Ground this guy can sustain RF without Ruby flask.

About deeps....
-----------------------

Depending on gear lvl expect 200-250k true Shaper DPS (without RF) with safe Inya's setup and 280-350k Shaper DPS (without RF) with more DPS setup with The Red Trails.

With RF maximum DPS can go up to 500k+ Shaper but that is not something I consider "safe".

About Arc + Discharge vs 2x Support for Discharge:
---------------------------------------------------

This build is better with Arc. Period. Lets move on...

...well ok lemme explain....

1) Arc generates additional power charges in-between discharges. With Inyas Boots it is yet another event that have a 25% chance to grant you full power charges. Yes Arc can crit and loose Power Charges but still it is more beneficial to use it. Why? Well...

2) ...more power charges (or lost power charges) = more endurance charges in-between discharges = better life sustain when facetanking.

3) Arc is "the spell", "the boss" for pack clearing. Its autoshoting, autotargeting, its chaining, its fast and sexy.

4) Arc does around 65k DPS on its own in final build vs Guardian/Shaper.

5) My calcualation and in-game testing shows that Arc + Discharge combo supported with Ele Focus in this particular build does more deeps than Dicharge with Ele Focus and Conc Eff.

6) Arc is your friend and makes you feel like good'ol palp

Spoiler

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

About Stygian belt vs Shaped belt:
-------------------------------------------

Its simple. Best is Stygian Shaped belt.

Pantheon "system" to use:
-----------------------------

MAJOR GOD: Arakaali with captured Shock and Horror and Armala (much needed chaos res).

MINOR GODy: Tukohama with captured Tahsin. We are mostly stationary so we benefit from added phys mitigation and life regen so it will allow us to be stationary longer :P

Thats it for now. I will write more and update the guid during upcoming days.

Latest guides:
3.11 Loki's Rainbownuke:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2904155
3.7 CI CoC Discharge: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2605608
3.7 Juggernaut life Mjolner: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1846362
Last edited by RicoKGB on Mar 2, 2018, 7:05:52 AM
Last bumped on Sep 12, 2018, 3:56:33 PM
Reserved.
Latest guides:
3.11 Loki's Rainbownuke:
3.7 Juggernaut life Mjolner: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1846362
I've leveled his Juggernaut Version of this build to the mid 90s twice, I can confidently say he is 1 of the best theorycrafters and builders we have.

I personally wont be leveling this version b/c I have so many resources invested into my other 2 but I can recommend it to anyone in search of a strong build that doesnt rely on cheap and inconsistent healing methods like VP or leeching in general.

I went from 1 build to another b/c they all said the same thing "shaper/uber atziri viable" but in reality they only proved to good for 1 thing, blowing up trash 2 screens away.

If you want a build that has strong dps and strong self healing that doesnt get 1 shot when something does actually hit you or doesnt kill you the second you have to move or stop attacking then check this or his Juggernaut Version out.
Dam I'm split on which to try out. Saw the jug version this morning and really caught my interest. Saw his post saying he was working on this guide and now here we are lol.

This is my first season and I would really like to get the challenge portal. I started the season late and have several characters to 90 and have re speced multiple times.

I have bought all the big ticket items for my current build (oni x2, kaoms, xophs) and while my damage seems great I find I am starting to get blown up in t12-14 maps.

It's exactly as you said, great for blowing things up 2 screens away but once I take a hit it hurts

Right now im running an oni jugg frost blade / molten strike setup with 6k hp and 6 endurance charges but I still feel squishy.

You're comment sounds just like me (bouncing around) and it's making me really consider trying this out.
Would you recommend this set up over the jugg version? Jug seems tankier but I'm really not sure.

Thank you for the build :D
I dont want to clutter up his new thread, all I can say with his juggernaut version and some minor tweaks I easily facetank Shaper, T15 Elder, 3 of the 4 Shaper Guardians, 4/4 of the Elder Guardians, T16 Vaal Temple with bad mods and any map with any mods outside reflects elemental damage.

I sit at 6.5k life with 84% elemental resistances, I convert 20% of my physical damage taken to fire and lightning thanks to my watcher's eye, my enhanced fortify and remaining mitigation and nonstop immortal call take care of the rest.

My life regen is through the roof, my damage is solid, its just an amazing build. This version looks a bit different but im sure it will be amazing b/c hes been working on it for atleast a few months that I know of.

I was literally on the verge of quitting the game b/c every build I played had 8kajillion evasion and movespeed but eventually something hit you and 1 shot you and bam, there goes 2 hours of your night and 80-100 chaos at high levels.

Since playing his Life Mjolner I actually have fun playing the game, I dont white knuckle maps anymore terrified of something ganking me, I dont have to wait till I level up to do Shaper or Elder in fear of xp loss etc, the games actually fun and relaxing.

Thats all ill say in this thread though, I try to answer questions and help in the other 1 b/c I know the OP is busy experimenting with new things. Ill leave this one to you guys who pursue this version, good luck.
Last edited by JCOH35 on Jan 30, 2018, 5:50:50 PM
God damn it Rico I just made the juggernaut one a week ago... hate cyclone too lol :D Also, is stun an issue?

Edit: What's the reason that Purity of Ice is dropped? I think you could fit it in with a lvl 3 enlighten just like the jugg build, right?
Last edited by Fire309 on Jan 30, 2018, 6:57:02 PM
"
Fire309 wrote:
God damn it Rico I just made the juggernaut one a week ago... hate cyclone too lol :D Also, is stun an issue?

Edit: What's the reason that Purity of Ice is dropped? I think you could fit it in with a lvl 3 enlighten just like the jugg build, right?

Right. It can be used but I didnt have trouble capping cold without it. With Saffels you have allready +4 to max, outside of shaper/hydra PoI is not that needed, thx to that theres is a room for arctic armour or hot if you want more deeps and those boxes/barrels exploded for you :p

If you made jugg stick with it, to early to change, enyoj it a bit and when you get borred come back for this one :)

(and no, stun is not an issue, this build uses Unwavering Stance for perma stun immunity)

@Kinnslayor you have to ask yourself one very important question in your life: do you like cyclone?:p

Also jugg is much easier to lvl up. Leveling templar was pain in the ass for me personally. However after lvl 62 (welcome mjolner gear!) things change dramaticaly and than Jugg is worse to lvl till you get volls devo (skip that if u have volls devo allready).

@JCOH35 thank you for all supporting comments. And dont worry, the fact you like my jugg mjolner version so much doesnt mean this one will suffer :p It all depends what kind of playstyle particular person likes more. And good build must also speak for itself.
Latest guides:
3.11 Loki's Rainbownuke:
Last edited by RicoKGB on Jan 31, 2018, 1:33:11 AM
"
RicoKGB wrote:
@JCOH35 thank you for all supporting comments. And dont worry, the fact you like my jugg mjolner version so much doesnt mean this one will suffer :p It all depends what kind of playstyle particular person likes more. And good build must also speak for itself.

I just read both your guides and now I'm really interested in trying one of them.
However, I can't decide (as some others here). The Jugg sounds so interesting to me because I haven't played Jugg ever and Templar is ugly af but, then again, you say the Inq is stronger.

Could you maybe highlight the key differences between the two aside from the obvious (gems)?
Also, having never played Cyclone either, why do you dislike it so much?
ign: PhrozenFlame
"
cocomoloco wrote:
"
RicoKGB wrote:

I just read both your guides and now I'm really interested in trying one of them.
However, I can't decide (as some others here). The Jugg sounds so interesting to me because I haven't played Jugg ever and Templar is ugly af but, then again, you say the Inq is stronger.

Could you maybe highlight the key differences between the two aside from the obvious (gems)?
Also, having never played Cyclone either, why do you dislike it so much?

Im currently adding some additional info in the Inquisitor guide to help people decide what suits them best.

However to anserw your question. I dont like cyclone because it has something that I call "player error factor" on higher lvl than many other skills. Vs single target you must controll it to stay on your target but even then you will occasionally cyclone to far, miss your target etc. Vs packs cyclone is not that effective as lightning strike with arc. It leaves some mobs behind that you must backtrack, it takes time, some people dont like this. Also with cyclone you're allways in melee range while with lightning strike and arc you can also play as ranged when needed, just shift hold the ground.

Regarding jugg vs this one here. For now I can say that jugg is well known, universal, all content viable. Inquisitor has much more dps, basically Inquisitor without RF has same dps as maxed jugg with RF and Inquisitor can also use RF if desired. However I yet cannot tell that Inquisitor is all content viable as I didint test all content with it yet. From what I see and what I know it should be but I need to make sure before I will tell that to people.

Im currently gathering resources to push this build trough its paces vs some end-game stuff like Guardians etc. Also my friend is lvling this build and hes more of a hardcore poe gamer than I so it is very likely he will also provide some eng-game stuff on vids.
Latest guides:
3.11 Loki's Rainbownuke:
Last edited by RicoKGB on Jan 31, 2018, 2:42:03 AM
Already noticed you adding more to the guide, it's looking better and better!

I'm going to be keeping a very close eye on the thread for update, thank you for what you do and for answering questions.

You mention leveling as Templar kind of a pain in the ass, any suggestions on what skills to level with or maybe gear that will make things easier, outside the standard tabula, goldrim etc.

The build looks very budget friendly outside of the amulet. Think I'm going to have to give this a shot!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info