[Guide] What a macro is allowed to do in Path of Exile

In that case I would assume it would not be permitted.

Only way to find out for sure is to e-mail Support your macro and ask.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
"
Abdiel_Kavash wrote:
"
lorrey wrote:
But i saw a lot of using pick-use macros on different streams, even the most popular streamers doing it live.

Refer to the first post of this thread, specifically the last question.

Also, you should report those to GGG.
Could someone give an example of a macro that is actually legal? I'm confused as to what can be accomplished.

The best I can think of is assigning several keys which would each press the same skill-use button.
"
spiralofhope wrote:
Could someone give an example of a macro that is actually legal?

I'm very sorry; I meant to respond to this but completely forgot about it.

An example of an allowed macro is to have a gaming keyboard with a macro button which, when pressed, sends the message % Thanks for the trade! in chat. GGG don't want people to feel like that people using macros will have an advantage over people which don't. I typically describe their macro policy as being one that disallows macros, but has a few exceptions.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

"
Sarno wrote:
An example of an allowed macro is to have a gaming keyboard with a macro button which, when pressed, sends the message % Thanks for the trade! in chat. GGG don't want people to feel like that people using macros will have an advantage over people which don't. I typically describe their macro policy as being one that disallows macros, but has a few exceptions.

In the interest of transparency, you might think about adding a list of some commonly used macros to the top post or one of the follow-ups. Things like /hideout, logout, or trade macros.
"
SPECIFIC MACROS

Can I use a macro which activates all of my flasks at once?

No. The most commonly cited rule pertaining to macros is "one action per key press."

Using a flask is considered an action - and using multiple flasks is thus viewed as performing multiple actions. To press a single button resulting in multiple actions being taken would be regarded as partially automated gameplay. That is absolutely not allowed.

Sources;

(Direct) Rob_GGG on the forum
(Direct) Yeran_GGG on the forum

Speaking as a developer that specializes in automation I have to strongly disagree with this rule/statement.

Try try try to think a little differently before reading this.

A great rule of thumb in this area of expertise is to look at what automation really is. In the world of programming I generally define automation as anything being executed that is not possible for a human being to repeat or mimic(with the obvious exception to TXT IE. buying/selling).

I have 5 fingers on my left hand near the keys being used for flasks, I am completely and 100% capable of pressing 1-5 all at the same time without the use of a macro. It's just a pain in the ass to repeat, like typing "buying THIS selling THIS" over and over.

I get it, you have to draw the line somewhere. But if a game is going to ban someone over
1-2-3-4-5 attached to a hotkey, they've lost my respect and i'm sure many others.

This really is a slap in the face to people like me who have a record button right on their keyboard..

Please consider changing this.

"
Unit619 wrote:
Spoiler
Speaking as a developer that specializes in automation I have to strongly disagree with this rule/statement.

Try try try to think a little differently before reading this.

A great rule of thumb in this area of expertise is to look at what automation really is. In the world of programming I generally define automation as anything being executed that is not possible for a human being to repeat or mimic(with the obvious exception to TXT IE. buying/selling).

I have 5 fingers on my left hand near the keys being used for flasks, I am completely and 100% capable of pressing 1-5 all at the same time without the use of a macro. It's just a pain in the ass to repeat, like typing "buying THIS selling THIS" over and over.

I get it, you have to draw the line somewhere. But if a game is going to ban someone over
1-2-3-4-5 attached to a hotkey, they've lost my respect and i'm sure many others.

This really is a slap in the face to people like me who have a record button right on their keyboard..

Please consider changing this.

Just in case it isn't clear - I am not a GGG employee.

Staff do not monitor this thread for feedback. You'd be better off posting here.

----

"
Unit619 wrote:

Just for the record, this is not the common use of the term "automation" across the broader IT industry. You would confuse the heck out of, for example, interviewers at many large companies with that definition - they think of automation as "something that does a task", regardless of the ability of a human being to repeat or mimic it.

(In fact, most of the automation we have at my place of work is doing exactly what a human can do, and in fact, what a human did do, until we replaced them with software.)
Is there an outright ban on anything that reads the POE memory space?
"
weizur wrote:
Is there an outright ban on anything that reads the POE memory space?

Pretty much. I have never heard of anyone NOT being banned, so at this stage, I am going to assume an outright ban in the norm.
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!"

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info