[3.16][HC][ON BREAK] Caustic Arrow Raider, DoT Focused | Tanky | 6k+ Health | All Content | In-depth

It's been 2,5 months since i've last posted here. Real life got in the way, Heist killed and caused constant stability problems, had other awesome games to play. Not like there was a lot of traffic in here.

I did play a little bit of endless delve but once i got to level ~80 i just lost interest. Now with new league and this very long break i'm back. I updated Blight guide today after couple days of testing and there's still a little bit more to come.

As for new content... One thing is certain - a lot characters are going to die. It's gonna be fun playing this league and i look forward to it.

"
Viktranka wrote:
Spoiler
For all of you SSF afficionados, it seems streamers finally managed to sponsor the "most needed addition to SSF":

(I really wonder who paid it.)

Now this seems to be a great defensive base if you play with hardened scars:

I wanna see ascendancy updates, they revealed deadeye / ele / inquis / slayer / occultist but none of the other ranger ones so far.

New league looks cool, if 36 challenge reward looks good I'm defo going back to some variant of this build as it's the cheapest and most reliable build for me.

Big bonus for no longer having to cable up your garden with the "new" harvest. And yes, they were pretty open about it being nerfed so people don't tailor up perfect items.

New div card is absolutely amazing for everyone... except me. I have over 1000 unused alterations per league i SSF on average despite spending a lot of them especially now (+2 arrows bow).

Helmet base definitely feels like it was designed for evasion melee build or ranged with Hardened Scars. If you invest enough into fortify effect then it's probably BiS, and should be even easier to make compared to my current ideal setup with up to 47% phys damage reduction. Obviously better for Pathfinder than Raider, since former can use it almost permanently during boss fights. Something worth looking into for sure.

So far every ascendancy seemed to receive straight buffs, but only 3 ascendancies (which look absolutely amazing, great potential) received big changes. So i assume minor improvements and point allocation options that Slayer/Occultist received should happen to most classes. To be perfectly honest, from what they've shown us so far it feels like this whole rebalance is a prep work for PoE 2. GGG did mention news will arrive sooner than we think.

Revamped harvest seems great, i'm very happy how they've implemented it. Limiting stored crafts to 10 is probably my favorite change.

"
xMustard wrote:
Spoiler
yeah that helmet looks pretty good. great for it to be an ar/ev base too. i wonder what the implicit goes up to, 25? 30? you could get some pretty good fortify effect now, including through conqueror exalts etc.

im also eyeballing this build again. i just miss ranger. really looking forward to seeing how they nerf trickster and hopefully buff (and not completely change) ranger. since ranger isn't one of the reworked ascendancies i can't help but think its only numerical buffs or maybe an additional 2 points with who knows what effects.

at the moment though, a toxic rain DEADEYE is looking pretty damn juicy. with the tailwind and gale effect as well as up to 3 mirage archers and 2 free projectiles, holy shit.
i wonder what "nearby" means for the mirage archer effect in order to keep creating them.

I would be happier if helmet was pure evasion based, but i can only wish. I predict fortify effect goes up to 25%, similar to T1 affix from influence on helmets. Better question is, what or how much is T0 fortify effect affix going to give? T0 through Maven's Orb.

I wouldn't worry about Raider or any ascendancy. I doubt that now of all times they'll remove it's defensive abilities. I'm curious what GGG is going to touch, but my hunch is on Frenzy path which is currently very underwhelming.

Deadeye looked absolutely overpowered when i first looked. Now that i thought about it more carefully new notables are very powerful but also quite specific. You have to make good use of them or other ascendancy options simply seem better.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3053600 - My Guides
Last edited by DankawSL on Jan 8, 2021, 1:46:51 PM
"
DankawSL wrote:
It's been 2,5 months since i've last posted here. Real life got in the way, Heist killed and caused constant stability problems, had other awesome games to play. Not like there was a lot of traffic in here.
Good to see you're back. Tbh the first month of Heist just discouraged me from the league, constant bugs, crashes, patches fixing one thing and then exposing another... At least managed to find enough motivation to get the cat, I would regret missing it.

"
DankawSL wrote:
So far every ascendancy seemed to receive straight buffs, but only 3 ascendancies (which look absolutely amazing, great potential) received big changes. So i assume minor improvements and point allocation options that Slayer/Occultist received should happen to most classes. To be perfectly honest, from what they've shown us so far it feels like this whole rebalance is a prep work for PoE 2. GGG did mention news will arrive sooner than we think.
To be honest, I never understood why they stopped updating ascendancies. Elementalist was in a weird spot for 2 years since free prolif was removed from it. Last reworks were Necro and Assassin back in Blight so over a year ago... then only minor tweaks.

I like the Occultist buff and I hope Raider and Pathfinder can enjoy something similar. I don't expect nerfs because every ranger ascendancy is already 5x less popular than every shadow ascendancy so I don't see the reason.

"
DankawSL wrote:
Limiting stored crafts to 10 is probably my favorite change.
It's a good idea to not force people to min max quad tabs full of horticrafting stations and be much more deliberate with what they save and what they spend on spot.

"
DankawSL wrote:
I would be happier if helmet was pure evasion based, but i can only wish. I predict fortify effect goes up to 25%, similar to T1 affix from influence on helmets. Better question is, what or how much is T0 fortify effect affix going to give? T0 through Maven's Orb.
I'm waiting eagerly until the list is either published or datamined what are all the special effects Maven's Orb can provide. I'll probably never be rich enough to dabble in high end crafting, but it's a good idea to know what are potentially the best of the best items.

I definitely agree that having a build that can "outlast" bosses will be my preference for the new boss romp battle rather than glass cannon 1-shot wonders. But I can see the problem with 10 bosses overlapping every mechanic and just wombo-comboing some poor soul.

I still don't know what kind of build is generally best for it on a budget - "aura stackers" are probably best if not nerfed, but that has a steep entry fee which is the biggest downside.
yeah the imagination for t0 influence mods is giving me a headache. i can't wait to see a list. this is going to be nutto crafting.

for this new league and expansion content we're definitely seeing more arena style fights meaning mobility is at least somewhat limited. but it also means area of effect is very powerful.
seeing a focus on boss fighting i actually really like. i loved metamorph and to see more end game focus on bossing for atlas progression i just like. this will hurt CA as a skill (though it could be one that gets tweaked/buffed) since its always suffered with single target.

CA raider was a war on attrition. with upwards of 10 bosses at once in a smallish arena, i think raider will lose that battle this time around. you'll always eventually get hit.

toxic rain and 3 mirage archers with deadeye sounds extremely appealing, but to get enough defense with deadeye would be painful. upwards of 30% damage reduced if not hit though...ooo baby thats huge. but how not to get hit? im betting you'd have to use grace with grace watchers eye and maybe get ways to stack dodge like cluster jewels etc. needless to say a TON of investment would have to go into the defense. could very well be not worth.

im keeping my eyes open for trickter changes and scorching ray buffs. right now one of my favourite defensive mechanics is mana stacking MoM and Agnostic. agnostic is insane.
"
xMustard wrote:
im keeping my eyes open for trickter changes and scorching ray buffs. right now one of my favourite defensive mechanics is mana stacking MoM and Agnostic. agnostic is insane.
Easy, roll CA Trickster / Pathfinder with supreme ego, essence worm with 1 aura (malevolence for example), agnostic and stack clusters with Dark Ideation. 4k mana for max effect. If GGG doesn't do anything with Dynamo and Battle Rouse it's a pretty neat package.

I dunno what's better: Trickster with weave the Arcane, or Pathfinder with scaling flask effect / mana recovery from flask.

"
Viktranka wrote:
Easy, roll CA Trickster / Pathfinder with supreme ego, essence worm with 1 aura (malevolence for example), agnostic and stack clusters with Dark Ideation. 4k mana for max effect. If GGG doesn't do anything with Dynamo and Battle Rouse it's a pretty neat package.

I dunno what's better: Trickster with weave the Arcane, or Pathfinder with scaling flask effect / mana recovery from flask.

i think i tried spec'ing that out before. maybe i'll have to try it again.

ya actually doesn't look too bad. requires some crazy cluster jewels though, eventually.
but overall looks like it would work well....lacks the damage mitigation with glancing blows (compared to my current agnostic trickster builds) but would have evasion+dodge/s.dodge going for it.

upwards of 2m+ dps on CA and like 1800 hp regen and 800 mana regen. thats utilizing like a perfect bow but no other dps focus on gear.

that really is the pinnacle type of numbers possible though. not sure how well it would work in practice with leveling through early maps etc
might be worth a try though
"
Viktranka wrote:
Spoiler
Good to see you're back. Tbh the first month of Heist just discouraged me from the league, constant bugs, crashes, patches fixing one thing and then exposing another... At least managed to find enough motivation to get the cat, I would regret missing it.

To be honest, I never understood why they stopped updating ascendancies. Elementalist was in a weird spot for 2 years since free prolif was removed from it. Last reworks were Necro and Assassin back in Blight so over a year ago... then only minor tweaks.

I like the Occultist buff and I hope Raider and Pathfinder can enjoy something similar. I don't expect nerfs because every ranger ascendancy is already 5x less popular than every shadow ascendancy so I don't see the reason.

It's a good idea to not force people to min max quad tabs full of horticrafting stations and be much more deliberate with what they save and what they spend on spot.

I definitely agree that having a build that can "outlast" bosses will be my preference for the new boss romp battle rather than glass cannon 1-shot wonders. But I can see the problem with 10 bosses overlapping every mechanic and just wombo-comboing some poor soul.

I still don't know what kind of build is generally best for it on a budget - "aura stackers" are probably best if not nerfed, but that has a steep entry fee which is the biggest downside.

Your experience with Heist is same as mine. Killing alert level was a nail in the coffin for me, and performance only got worse every single patch. I farmed last 2 challenges few days ago for that cat few days ago.

I think they stopped updating ascendancies due to how much new build defining options we've got last couple leagues, cluster jewels being the biggest one. Now that we don't really get any of such things this league, they finally get well deserved attention.

10 craft limit is great for many purposes. This is a fix to trade more than anything. Trading crafts in bulk should be significantly more tedious now, so top players will have to go through this pain in order to use "item editor". Scarcity of good crafts will further amplify that. 10 stored crafts should be good enough for SSF if you plan your upgrades carefully. Harvest implementation is probably the best it could be, for everyone.

As for big boss fight, the answer seems quite simple to me. You either kill them before they have a chance to strike back or have means to survive this onslaught. Raider falls into second category, but investing into spell dodge seems to be a necessity. Tanking one boss skill is fine, multiple in short period of time is not. I hope kiting and defences are enough to reliably finish this battle deathless.

"
xMustard wrote:
Spoiler
yeah the imagination for t0 influence mods is giving me a headache. i can't wait to see a list. this is going to be nutto crafting.

for this new league and expansion content we're definitely seeing more arena style fights meaning mobility is at least somewhat limited. but it also means area of effect is very powerful.
seeing a focus on boss fighting i actually really like. i loved metamorph and to see more end game focus on bossing for atlas progression i just like. this will hurt CA as a skill (though it could be one that gets tweaked/buffed) since its always suffered with single target.

CA raider was a war on attrition. with upwards of 10 bosses at once in a smallish arena, i think raider will lose that battle this time around. you'll always eventually get hit.

toxic rain and 3 mirage archers with deadeye sounds extremely appealing, but to get enough defense with deadeye would be painful. upwards of 30% damage reduced if not hit though...ooo baby thats huge. but how not to get hit? im betting you'd have to use grace with grace watchers eye and maybe get ways to stack dodge like cluster jewels etc. needless to say a TON of investment would have to go into the defense. could very well be not worth.

I think 10 boss arena is big enough to allow running like a headless chicken to avoid majority of boss skills. You'll have to play around some bosses because they'll definitely cause problems (Shock and Horror's laser, Dominus' blood rain etc.). Most other bosses should be relatively straightforward. Damage output is the only big issue, Wither totem won't do much good here...

If you're worried about new boss arenas then you really shouldn't. Mobility allows you to dodge skills more easily and Raider can take a hit. I mean, i kill Minotaur by tanking his attacks in melee, it's actually safer that way. Investing into spell dodge seems like a must this time around since it's the only thing Raider can't reliably avoid, and they keep adding more and more spell reliant bosses.

TR Deadeye definitely sounds like a perfect build for 10 boss gauntlet, damage wise at least. I wouldn't rely on that 30% damage reduction too much. Not only you lose mobility if you get hit, it's not guaranteed you'll have maximum stacks and as you noticed - the more avoidance you have the more reliable this type of defence is. Personally i wouldn't bother trying to make it work for this specific fight, ascendancy with bonuses to Marks seem like a much better choice.

"
Viktranka wrote:
stack clusters with Dark Ideation. 4k mana for max effect.

AFAIK this notable's 80% chaos damage limit is shared. By shared i mean if you have 2 of these notables and 4k mana, you'll still get 80% instead of expected 160%

Last edited by DankawSL on Jan 9, 2021, 6:42:09 PM
"
DankawSL wrote:
AFAIK this notable's 80% chaos damage limit is shared. By shared i mean if you have 2 of these notables and 4k mana, you'll still get 80% instead of expected 160%
D:
My dreams got ruined.

I haven't tried that setup in practice only POB in the past because supreme ego always lights up as a massive dps increase, but I was never sure will I survive without defensive auras, so didn't really go that route.

Also the FAQ revealed Maven Orb only applies to chest, helm, boots or gloves. So no quiver / neck shenanigans. Shame, I expected some cool quiver mods (and shield for those who use it).

But at least we can consider which mods could potentially be upgraded:
Helmet: -9 chaos res / phys taken as ele / fortify effect
Gloves: chaos dot multi, inc dot damage, culling strike
Boots: dodge / spelldodge mods
Chest: no idea really, even if we can get +1 to dex gems it still doesn't beat the bow or I dunno, perfect double corrupted unique?

Also what is the best way to max spelldodge? 30% phase acro + 10% from raider + 10% from quartz flask + 16% from atziri's step of matatl's boot with veritania mod, still a bit short of the cap.
"
DankawSL wrote:

in PoB it shows that it stacks. that doesn't mean a whole lot though, but i still think its probably correct.

"
Viktranka wrote:
Also what is the best way to max spelldodge? 30% phase acro + 10% from raider + 10% from quartz flask + 16% from atziri's step of matatl's boot with veritania mod, still a bit short of the cap.

probably cluster jewels. tho its a ton of passive investment so it almost assuredly isn't worth it.
for the last %s im sure its acceptable to rely on vaal grace conditional uptime.

or, right, the boot enchant and pantheon to get some more %s. still conditional but much easier to come by

so 8% spell dodge from boots (if you've been hit with spell damage recently) and 5% spell dodge from lunaris (if you've been hit recently)
totals 75(79)% with all other sources (if flask is up) or 69% without flask active
Last edited by xMustard on Jan 9, 2021, 8:01:52 PM
"
Viktranka wrote:
Spoiler
My dreams got ruined.

I haven't tried that setup in practice only POB in the past because supreme ego always lights up as a massive dps increase, but I was never sure will I survive without defensive auras, so didn't really go that route.

Also the FAQ revealed Maven Orb only applies to chest, helm, boots or gloves. So no quiver / neck shenanigans. Shame, I expected some cool quiver mods (and shield for those who use it).

But at least we can consider which mods could potentially be upgraded:
Helmet: -9 chaos res / phys taken as ele / fortify effect
Gloves: chaos dot multi, inc dot damage, culling strike
Boots: dodge / spelldodge mods
Chest: no idea really, even if we can get +1 to dex gems it still doesn't beat the bow or I dunno, perfect double corrupted unique?

Shame Maven's Orb doesn't apply to quiver. Would love +2 projectiles modifier on it, this way i could have 5 arrows total for braindead clearing.

Your list has nearly all good stuff. I wouldn't discard frenzy/endurance charge generation from gloves/boots, i personally like them very much for mapping. For boots priority should be spell dodge, every little bit is useful. Body armour influenced mods are good... but... there's a little problem. All good and interesting modifiers you would want are prefixes, and you already want 10% Spell Dodge craft, Life and #% Evasion on 3 of them. I fear that without extra evasion it might be a little problematic getting evade cap, could be wrong.

Good influenced body armour mods:
* Enemies explode mod (pref) - obviously. Insanely good defensive mod.
* #% Phys taken as Elemental dmg (pref) - in case you don't want to invest into phys dmg mitigation.
* Nearby Enemies are Blinded (pref) - don't know about it's range, low radius would be awful
* #% increased maximum Life (pref) - always a good choice

* #% increased Life Recovery rate (suff) - if you're like me and love life regen, this is great.
* #% of Life per second (suff) - same as above
* Recover #% of Life on Kill (suff) - not really necessary once you craft your cluster jewels with 1% life on kill.

I don't think rare influenced body armour "beats" Kintsugi. It simply provides different set of defences. Better in all aspects except for protection against random one shots - which is why Kintsugi is used in the first place.

As for spell dodge cap, xMustard already written everything there is to it. Only source he forgot about is 10% spell dodge craft on body armour which allows to reach cap without Lunaris/lab enchant. However that means giving up Kintsugi, it's a really tough choice.
"
xMustard wrote:
so 8% spell dodge from boots (if you've been hit with spell damage recently) and 5% spell dodge from lunaris (if you've been hit recently)
Hmm, that's a tradeoff... I like the 80% chance to avoid stun when killed recently because w/ heart of oak makes you stun immune while mapping. But on the other hand it does nothing on bosses, so maybe the dodge one is better.

Other way to get stun immune involves giving up unique chest and putting veiled craft, then another veiled craft on flask (20% heart of oak 30-35% chest 50% flask), I think I did that in harvest because I wanted to craft ailment immunity on my PF to drop the flask node for movement speed, and that craft also gives 30-35% chance to avoid ailments. For raider that would be a waste because you always go for the ailment immunity anyway since it's on the spelldodge node.

I also prefer to play with Lunaris pantheon in general. Did you guys ever have problems wit stuns? I didn't when I played with molten shell + iron reflexes, but with evasion playstyle I was getting stunned here and there.
Last edited by Viktranka on Jan 10, 2021, 11:23:31 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info