[3.1] Minion Instability DP/Skelly Necro, Shaper Down!

Hi All!
I've been wanting to make Minion Instability work as a primary damage source for a long time, this league I finally managed to take it all the way! My solution: rapidly summoning and detonating skeletons via Tremor Rod Dark Pact mines.

Pros and Cons
Spoiler
+
-Hipster! Also viable right from level 45
-dark pact clears trash, MI has strong enough DPS for endgame
-Maps just fine on a 4L Tremor Rod and 5L chest/helm
-Largely ignores map mods
-uses mines effectively with zero tree investment
-Skeletons body block, aim your mines & enemies even help you kill them!
-very mobile once you get the rhythm down
-
-Damage is high but backloaded, not a fast mapper
-mobile enemies like tormented spirits often dodge skeleton explosions
-low physical reduction beyond evasion/block/blind, not for HC
-needs to balance summoning, mining, detonating and movement; takes some getting used to
-relies on flasks & minor life regen for healing, no flask nodes

How it works:
Spoiler
Dark pact removes 6% of skeleton life per hit, usually hitting three times. Using mines supported by chain and minefield in a tremor rod, each 'cast' of Dark Pact hits 3*5*2=30 times rapidly in succession, applying Elemental Equilibrium as well as Blind and Hinder.
Skeletons have supports that maximize their MI elemental damage, including the newly buffed Minion Life.

Clearing:
Spoiler
Drop three skeletons between you and pack or boss, followed by one or two 'casts' of Dark Pact linked with minefield and chain. Then reposition while tapping detonate after the mines arm and re-arm. One cast of mines will detonate one skeleton which is usually all that is required; two will pop all three. All three abilities have very short cast times.

Chanelling:
Spoiler
If it is safe to stand still, you can maximize DPS by holding down detonate while rotating Summon-Mines-Mines (or watch your skeleton/mines numbers in the top left of the screen and make sure you don't go over 7 of either)

Gear
Spoiler

Required:
Tremor Rod Staff
From Dust unique jewel
5-8 Ghastly Eye Jewels with: 'Minion Damage if you've used a minion skill recently', minion life & max life
One Hypnotic Eye jewel with '%chance to hinder enemies on hit with spells' and cold/lightning damage added to spells.

Recommended:
Spoiler

Shaped Gloves with Global Blind chance (replaces a Dark Pact link)
Shaped Amulet with Block added as Spell Block (or a good corrupted Stone of Lazhwar)
Elder Minion Helm (fairly trivial to get a 5L-6L equivalent, I use a 7L and even 8L is possible)
If you can't get a good Elder helm, Shaped helms can come with 'place an additional mine'
Darkness Enthroned belt (more abyss jewels, if your resists are sorted)
Rumi's Concoction to cap block/Spell Block
Bloodbond armor for levelling, Lightning Coil for endgame (or your preference)
A Watcher's Eye (I use Grace movement Speed, helps a lot vs endgame fights)

Enchants:
Spoiler

Helm: Bone Helm, any Skeleton enchant or ideally: Bone Offering block chance
Boots: I used two-tone boots, regen would be nice
Gloves: Any that don't deal fire damage & mess up EE

My Gear
Spoiler

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Imaginos30/characters?characterName=WeCameToBang

Links
Spoiler

Summon Skeletons - Minion Damage (50%) - Elemental Focus (50%) - Minion Life (50%) - Chance to Ignite (30%) - Essence of Horror (30%) - Empower3/4 (22/33%) - Increased AOE (0%)
-Scaling MI AOE is all but impossible outside of Increase AOE support so it should almost always be linked, though I swapped it out for more damage on guardians and shaper.
-Special mention to Vile Toxins, if you can run Poison Support on Dark Pact it is worth 45% MORE hit damage (50% at level 21) and should be your 5th link.
-I don't reccomend Concentrated Effect Support, MI explosions are small enough as-is.

Dark Pact - (Remote Mines) - Minefield - Chain - Blind/Poison - Increased AOE
CWDT Level 10 - Desecrate lvl 1 - Bone Offering lvl 14 - Enfeeble/Flammability lvl13
Charged Dash - Cast while Chanelling - Desecrate - Bone Offering
Auras: Grace, Purity of Lightning (wherever they will fit)
Free Spot: I'm running a 5L stone golem with culling strike and CWDT lvl 20, it has 60k hp which makes for a nasty chaos cloud whenever he gets re-summoned

Tree
Spoiler

Level 90
http://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAABAMDAd-K6QL-s1crvYJtGSL0bAvJPb-Xkye-iqEvl_R9GGvbCPRqQ-yKLJy86peVTLPQH-_rBAeD21XGOlismPfXm6FI549GUfvNFh8Ypwjr7hzcjxra3Z2uGmzZCyqYpqz6gDbpJKoWb-Nq-tJmnnIPlG9mVFnzGjiQVScvPvHVi0oup6W4kyj6gsf56Gh02mIYVtP7E2wGSWqsQYe3Pv4K2L01kv6PTeOmV_JFOuGDzDwtg1-18ngNwBpvO26qSsiKr5ARe8MXL2TnVdaApJitiFpewJrgRZ1TUsy8qsSFYOyD048VJ4yxSI4N4puKvk8=
Level 45
http://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAABAMDAX0Ya9sI9GpD7IosnLzqTLPQH-_rBAeD21XGOlismPfXm6FI549GUfvNFh8Ypwjr7hzcjxra3Z2uGmzZCyqYpqz6gLiTKPqCx9P7E2wGSWqsmK2a4EWdU1LMvKrEhWDfsIIQB6UC40myNukkqhZv42r56G0Zm4q-Tw==

DPS Calculation (approx 252000 DPS)
Spoiler
DPS
11000 skeleton life*.33 Minion Instability = 3630 base
400% minion damage + 45% gem quality = 5.45x
Minion Damage = 1.5x
Elemental Focus = 1.5x
Vile Toxins = 1.45x
Essence of Horror = 1.3x
Elemental Equilibrium = 1.5x (approx)
=83900 per skeleton * 3 skeletons per cast = 252 000 damage
Skeleton cast time = .42s (1s cooldown)
Mines cast time = .33s
Detonate cast time = .1s
Total for a full rotation = 1.18s, so 214000 DPS

This leaves quite a few Dark Pact chains wasted, so when laying down dps on a boss real dps is mostly limited by skeleton resummon rate, especially if enemy damage is hitting the skeletons. (closer to 252k)

Tips
Spoiler

If you are having mana issues with mines, using level 1 dark pact is only a minor DPS reduction.
(7 base mana cost at level 1 vs 14 at level 20) Most base Dark Pact damage comes from the high hp of our skeletons and Pact damage is much lower than MI anyway.

No Tremor rod, Scourge Claw and shield?
-Not reccomended, this method takes about 3 times longer to detonate skeletons, though it does massively increase dark pact damage. I tried it in red maps; it works but feels really sluggish.
Last edited by Imaginos30 on Jan 21, 2018, 12:06:09 PM
Last bumped on Feb 27, 2018, 2:28:03 PM
Would be able to post some game play of a map clear? It dosen't necessarily need to be high level, just something to show the clear.
Also, your profile is set to private.
Profile should now be public.
Re: Video, I've messed around with shadowplay and OBS but can't get either working.
For reference, I just ran a rare t15 Lava Lake, took about 8 mins to clear the whole thing (quite a few abyss stragglers though) and boss barely tickled me.
What do you think about the new 3.2 necro ascendancy?
Last edited by yuuzhan on Mar 2, 2018, 7:19:16 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info