Options to finetune particles

I didn't see any recent posts of this so here it goes.
If GGG already talked about this I'd appreciate a link to it.

Although GGG already worked and still is working on optimizing performance with multi-threading, dynamic resolution etc, there is still a huge performance loss specifically when it comes to party play in a full group.

The most effective way to -further- improve the performance would be, in my humble opinion, to give the player options to finetune particle settings for specific things.
The specific things would be all the skill effects, perhaps even environmental effects like fog, aoe effects like burning ground etc.

I understand that it can feel like a kick in the nuts to have to make pretty effects the designers worked so hard on implementing, looking... not as pretty.
That being said, the game already gives us some options like texture, antialiasing and shadow quality to name a few.

Also I understand that, from a dev point of view, it can be a challenge to implement such a -rather complex- system to allow the user to finetune particles for different things, while making it as intuitive as possible for the less experienced in such matters.

Gathering hardware data in bulk from players and making preset settings for a few "laggy" effects based on average pc performance seems unrealistic to me and a huge mess and investment in resources.

The probably easiest thing would be to gather data about the most common fps killers for skill effects and give the players options to directly impact the amount of particles.
Perhaps as a slider or preset drop down menus with "0" "half" and "full" particles.
This would mean that experienced users can finetune it to have a perfectly smooth experience (talking only fps) while unexperienced users would have to seek help on the forums or elsewhere to find some guidance in what to pick.

There would be the "risk" of users making the game look rather boring or even horrible if we can affect environmental effects with particles if they turn it all down in hope for some fps, if they actually could have left half of it on or at least turned up half way (if we think drop down menus with presets for each/some effect(s)

Perhaps an idea is to implement it for just one or two skills and wait for feedback?

Your thoughts?
Last edited by happylittletree on Jan 19, 2018, 8:16:04 PM
Last bumped on Feb 5, 2018, 6:20:01 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info