[3.1] Scion Molten Strike- staff/staves Hegemony's Era Immune to DOT (clearing T11 maps at lvl 76)

Overview:

I wanted to prove staff/staves are viable since most seem to think they are not. I chose molten strike because its a great ability, simple, and has some of the highest actual dps in the game.

at level 76, i cleared out several rare T11 maps without much effort. Didnt have any higher to use but will update once I do.

Anything marked Pink comes from jewels, and will vary based on what you can find/buy
Anything marked Cyan Comes from Ascendancy
ALL STATS BELOW ARE BEFORE FLASKS
Stats:
So at this lvl (updated at 80) I have:
-402 Strength
-220 Intelligence
-191 Dexterity

MOLTEN STRIKE
Shown DPS from strikes (no balls) is 12500 (before charges)
Magma Balls Spawned per Strike: 11 (up to 3 strikes per swing if atleast 3 targets nearby)
Calculated DPS per ball hitting target per strike: About 10,000
Skill DPS Explained: The true DPS for this skill depends on how many balls hit the target. There is a delay which, as far as I can tell, cannot be shortened. SO, Larger, slower bosses will be hit my more balls and take higher DPS. Izaro for example, get hit by about 8-9 balls per strike. SO your DPS for Izaro (without minions) is about 97500 (12500+85000). Where as a faster boss that doesnt want to stay still, like the boss of lava chamber, takes less damage because it avoids the balls unless cornered. closer to 20,000. So this skill/ build is not recommended for illusive bosses. HOWEVER, Back to Izaro, when he spawns minions by him, you are now making 3x the balls off of ancestral call, and he can get hit by up to lets say 20 balls per strike. Then your DPS skyrockets to 200,000 and the bastard just melts.
Chance to hit is a weakpoint, at 80%. hasnt been a problem but its something i would prefer was higher.
3.05 Attacks per second (over 4 with totem and or frenzy charges)
45.6% Crit Chance (56% with 4 power charges)
247% Crit Multiplier

100% to knockback enemies on crit, with 10% to gain a power charge on knockback
47 life gained on hit
4 mana gained on hit (plenty, molten strike only costs 30 mana)
additional 10% chance to shock and ignite (no cold damage)
11 projectiles fired per strike. (Using ancestral call so 33 balls, 36 potential "hits" per swing.)
2% elemental pen
Intimidate Enemies on hit of 4 seconds
6% chance to blind enemies on hitp

Defence:
Max Life: 3628
Phys Resist: 35%
dodge chance: 20%
Fire Res: 75%/107%
Cold Res: 75%/98%
Lightning Res: 75%/96%
Chaos Res: -18%/-18%

Chance to block attacks: 8% (YOURS will be higher, both base and if you take that part of the Staff tree. I corrupted my staff to get fire damage leech, but you really shouldnt its greedy. you can get over 40% block chance with this build) Now 26%, Got a new Hegmony's. I no longer have additional block nodes on tree, and will at higher level. Been taking LIFE nodes to survive Higher tier map burst.
Cannot be chilled
Movement speed modifier: +53%
+1 to max endurance and Power Charges
20% chance to gain endurance charge when hit
Max Mana: 606 almost always using 50% reserved, if not 85%)

Armor and Gem Setup:

Weapon: Hegemony's Era (5 link due to currency shortage) (MY Heg staff IS NOT IDEAL and makes me have no-ideal gem slots for everything except Molten strike)

I would Recommend putting both leap slam and Ancestral Protector on here with faster attacks, Fortify, and any utility supports you may want.(including splash or Ances. Call but I mainly use this for bosses) People laugh at actually using culling strike support and Blind support but they can save your life.

Body Armor: Any 6 link over 1000 Armour you think is good enough. Corrupted with correct colors can be as low as 15CH, non corrupted will run you closer to 70-80CH

The Gems are all pretty needed, except ancestral call which gets swapped for Elemental damage with attaks for bosses. LIFE GAIN ON HIT, when you attack 4x a second with flasks, with 33 AOE projectiles and 45 Life gained on hit makes you heal to full health every half second with 2 or more enemies nearby. It makes you immune to DOTs and only ever die from huge burst or getting stun locked (stun lock very rare in my experience)

Helmet: Devoto's Devotion

I'm glad i saw this used on other builds as well. You do no Phys damage so it (almost) doesnt effect you at all with its 10% reduced drawback. It is a source of dex which the build is short on otherwise (and needs for a higher level Ice Golem and GMP). It also adds to the great attcks speed of the build while giving more movement speed to cover the innate weakness of being melee. Also Chaos res.
I like Casting enfeeble on damage taken to weaken bursty enemies but Having increased duration in its spot for immortal call is the more popular option. As for blood rage, you lose the benefit of the Physical leech since we arn't doing any physical, but the attack speed and frenzy charges are awesome. More attack speed= more hits = more burst life gain. Consider having to lesser armor pieces have cast on damage taken to maximize the use of immortal call.

Gloves: Tombfist

This is a 100% greed choice. the life and attack speed arnt more than other pieces you could get. but I like the Intimidate on hit effect (and Maim swapout for elusive bosses) I also think Abyss jewels add alot of power to staves specifically so long as you can find good ones for sale that dont bankrupt you.

Boots: RARE HIGH LIFE and MOVE speed

Good boots are expensive these days but high life and atleast 20% movespeed are all you need.
I dont often use haste but do when helping other people with things like Ascending

Belt: Stygian Vise with life and resist. Elemental damage on attacks crafted

again I think Jewels make staffs specifically alot stronger. NOTE ON THIS: Belts with these specific mods vary alot in price. Some people had them listed for an exalt, I bought this one for 2 Chaos. Check POE.Trade often for low prices or listings with no price and lowball the seller. The ACTUAL value of this belt is probably around 45 Chaos.

Rings: Le Heup of All (REALLY CHEEP RIGHT NOW AT 3 CH) and Gifts From Above (around 20 CH)

Amulet: RARE; Crit chance, Life, resistances as needed

SKILL TREE:Updated to LVL 81
https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/3.1.2/AAAABAABAQDBA5YEswthE3EUIBZvGF0aOBo-HRQfGCcvMfsyiTQxNZI62DrhOyg8LTxLPO89_D7xQXJFjkbXSshN41BHUftXKVfiWBdYrlnzXqVfP2BDZlRmnmebaFho8m49bqpvO2-ecYVyD3Kpdwd35XgNe8OCm4LkgwmDX4PMhFOHE4nYiq-Mz49GkBGQVZMHlG-bUZtYnKSiAKI-pleruq3xrj6vbLFCtfK3PrlDvJq-gL68wBrAZsT2xq7JZ80W15bYvdq54XPjauRR7SDukO8O7_3wH_Iv8kX2SPrS-4v-Cv6P?accountName=5omeWhiteGuy&characterName=TheOneThatWhacksThings
Im also have 2 abyss jewels on gear that give crit chance, armour, life, chance to blind, and added base phys damage (phys over fire added btw)

My Jewels, Including on Gear but not including 2 wildfire jewels (necessary) give me:
Skip Past if you dont need to know what to look for when buying/collecting jewels
14-34 Fire Damage to attack (base damage added would Preferably be physical) but fire is okay too)
3-45 Lightning Damage to Attacks (my added cold and lightning come from same jewel\/)
7-16 Cold damage to Staff Attacks (Which I cam looking to replace)
4-5 Physical Damage to Attacks( this could be more, but im looking to get more crit. Multiplier 1st)
12% increased Physical damage with Two Handed Melee Weapons (not a preferred stat but does help)
6% Increased Attack Speed With Two Handed Melee Weapons
13% Increased Attack Speed With Staves
8% Increased Attack and Cast Speed
9% Increased Attack Speed
16% Increased Global Critical Strike Chance
18% Increased Critical Strike Chance With Fire Skills
+17% to Critical Strike Multiplier With Two Handed Melee Weapons (THIS IS WHAT I WANT MORE OF NOW)
+16% to Critical Strike Multiplier with Fire Skills (This too, its free MORE damage at this point)
+3 life gained for Each enemy hit by attacks
+4 Mana gained for Each enemy Hit by attacks
+194 Armour
+69 Maximum Life
+13% Cold resist (not needed)
3% Increased Movement Speed If You've Killed Recently
6% chance to Blind Enemies on Hit ( I wouldnt Look for this, but if its on a good jewel anyway.....)

Consolidated offensive stats from jewels:
-36% increased attack speed
-34% increased Crit Chance
-33% Increased Crit Multiplier (NEED MORE)

Ill update at level 80 and up. This build isnt super cheap not super expensive, but its been working great for me and thought I would share how I am running molten strike.
Last edited by 5omeWhiteGuy on Jan 18, 2018, 11:47:54 PM
Last bumped on Jan 16, 2018, 9:05:18 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info