[3.1] Pure Physical Cyclone Champion - Pretty damn tanky

Character name: Full_Autismo
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/DiscoveryChannel/characters

PoB (353k Shaper dps without Tombfist/Intimidate):

Skill Tree (lvl 95):

Bandit choice: I chose Oak, I think everything except Alira is useful.
Gem Setup: Can be found in the linked gear pieces
Pantheon: Soul of Arkaali (upgrade it!) and whatever minor one you prefer
Ascendancy nodes: Fortitude, Worthy Foe (Taunt does not work on Shaper unfortunatley)

Hello everyone,

I decided to roll a Champion for the first time as my league starter.
Originally I wanted to build a character that can farm Uber Labs while still mapping decently well, so that I can fund my second build of the league. I quickly grew attached to this character so I ended up building a nice allrounder that can do all content in the game. I know that Slayer is the way to go for most people at the moment and there are reasons for it. That said, Champion can keep up with Slayer 100% for mapping purposes, it is just Shaper and Uber Atziri where it does not perform equally well.
I killed Shaper with this character on day 3 or 4 of the league. It's not hard but simply not as smooth as Slayer with the health buffer. The degen vortexes from the mini-boss and Shaper himself can mess with your dps when running damage on full life.
Even though I played a second character to level 95 by now, I still come back to this one for it's chill playstyle.

The main reason behind going pure physical damage is the Blood Magic Keystone.
It provides extra life but doesn't allow mana reservation for Hatred or Herald of Ash.
The Brutality Support Gem adds lots of damage, but rules out Flasks that add elemental or chaos damage. Therefor this build utilizes a variety of defensive utility flasks.

Pros:
- Very tanky, basically cannot die while mapping
- Good movement speed makes cyclone enjoyable
- Excellent at lab farming, very quick leap slam for a 2-hander
- Permanent fortify, permanent onslaught
- Able to use 4 magic utility flasks, no need for life flask
- No Vaal Pact

Cons:
- Not great against Uber Trio and Shaper because of degen (still doable)
- No Herald of Ash for AoE clear
- No 20% cull, no leech buffer

Map mods to avoid:
- Monsters reflect #% of physical damage
- Cannot leech life/mana
- Players have 25% less area of effect
- Area has patches of burning ground

No regen maps are okay, just don't use blood rage.

Current Gear/Gem Setup:
Spoiler

- The belt gives permanent Onslaught because of the Champion ascendancy
- The flasks are key to the survivability, don't forget to use them. Anti-shock on the basalt flask would be even better than movement speed for pure defensive purposes
- Tombfists are way better gloves in terms of dps, if you can spare 1 or 2 gems
- You can use every weapon type you want, just change the passive tree accordingly

With Flasks active PoB shows:

- 6921 HP
- 69% Phys Reduction
- 54% Evade Chance
- 142% Movement Speed

This does not factor in the 6% damage reduction from Champion ascendancy, nor fortify

That's it for now

faithfully yours,
DiscoveryChannel
Last edited by DiscoveryChannel on Jan 6, 2018, 4:21:16 PM
Last bumped on Jan 28, 2018, 2:16:47 PM
We've been playing with Discovery lately and can tell one Word about this build; "amazing".
how does daresso amu interacts with blood magics? just curious
and since u are running blood rage u are not going to be at full life(if i recall there was a bug when u still be missing few hp even if u can outregen br)
"
LostSinner666 wrote:
how does daresso amu interacts with blood magics? just curious
and since u are running blood rage u are not going to be at full life(if i recall there was a bug when u still be missing few hp even if u can outregen br)

I am not sure if it is a bug. A couple health points show missing when Blood Rage is active but Damage on Full life, as well as Daressos Salute work.
Looks interesting, I have been looking for non slayer cyclone builds as I got lucky and vaal'd culling strike on my disfavour. This seems pretty good especially that it's tanky as I am tired of dying :D

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info