[3.1] [Orichalcum Spirit Necromancer] Lab/Shaper/Elder/Uber Atziri/Chayula Viable

Hi guys, welcome to my first guide around Pen-Necro build.

Notify

1. I'm not native English speaker. Sorry for poor language.
2. IGN : Kagarin_OrihalcumSpirit. Not ori[C]halcum **typo**

Update
Jan. 18, 2018 : Updated to current gears.
Feb. 04, 2018 : Added some sections to make it stand-alone build guide.

Path of Building

***Take Care : Path of Building ignores Eye Jewel socketed in Stygian Vise.***

Pastebin : https://pastebin.com/tZ8yp6LC
PoEPlanner : Click here

Bandits : 2 passives
Pantheon
Major : Lunaris in most situation. Solaris for dangerous boss fights.
Minor : Tukohama / Gruthkul for physical mitigation. Shakari for poisonous map.

Leveling setup
Pen : Unearth - LMP - anything you like
Pen : Volatile Dead - Controlled Destruction - Concentrated Effect

Mechanics : Offense and Defense

Offense
Main damage source is ordinary Spectres, Wicker Man and Tukohama's Vanguards.
See spectres section below for more info.

Defense
This is what this build stands for.
Core survivability mechanics of this guide is Poet's Pen + Spirit Offering.
Spam Frenzy with Pen, followed by 7 Projectile Unearth and Offering.
Consuming 7 corpses, Lv.20 SO gives you and your minions:
- 14% of maximum life as energy shield
- +35% to all Elemental Resistance, and
- 31% of physical damage as extra chaos damage.

With 4.00 attacks per second, Offering recovers 52% of your maximum life as energy shield per second, which scales also with "#% increased Maximum Energy Shield."

Pros and Cons

Pros
+ Huge eHP pool. Currently I have 14.5k eHP.
+ Recover 10k+ ES per second. You can even facetank double Shaper Golden Laser with Vortex.
+ Great single target damage. Melts down most bosses.
+ No impossible map mod. You can even run a No-regen-No-Leech-Phys-Reflect-Ele-Reflect-Temporal-Chain map.
+ Stun Immune. Silence Immune. Stuck Immune.
+ Strong even against chaos damage with 75% chaos resistance and 5k+ Life
Cons
- This is boss-killer guide, not insane-clear-speed one. But it's still enough for standard mapping.
- Graphically messy. Watch the video above for graphic.
- Cost a bit much. 13ex or around with core items.

Spectres

Wicker Mans are in Act 5 Ruined Square.
They cast Unrighteous Fire, Fire Degeneration Aura skill.
UnRF damage doesn't refer to their maximum life like player RF does, nor self-burn the caster.
Damage scales with Fire Damage, Minion Damage, Burning Damage, Area Damage and Damage over Time.

Tukohama's Vanguard can be captured in Act 6 Coast area. It places a totem which casts "Kaom Fire Beam," one resembles Scorching Ray.
However, it does not refer to Spell Damage like Scorching Ray does.
Duration modifier (from Efficacy and Swift Affliction) affects the duration of Totems.
Since 3.1 update, Vanguards has less chance to place 2nd totem destroying 1st one.
The shorter the duration is, the more often they replace the totem.
The longer the duration is, the longer they can attack single target.
Duration should be lengthened against single boss fight, shortened against packs.
Damage scales with Fire Damage, Minion Damage, Burning Damage, Area Damage and Damage over Time (which is completely the same as Wicker Man.)

Support gems which affects damage of minions
+ Minion Damage : It also scales totem's damage summoned by minion.
+ Burning Damage : Of course yes.
+ Concentrated Effect
 : They have Area Damage tag so yes.
 : Less AoE only reduces Wicker Man's UnRF radius, not Kaom Fire Beams' length/width.
+ Elemental Focus
 : Elemental Focus has "cannot Inflict Elemental Ailments" modifier, but they "Burn" Enemies.
 : Burning degen isn't counted as an elemental ailment like one called "Ignite."
+ Swift Affliction
 : Less Duration affects Totem Duration.
 : Wicker Man has no duration on their skills, but somehow gains damage from it.
+ Efficacy
 : DoT modifier affects both Beam Totem and UnRF, but Spell Damage does not.

Support gems which doesn't affect damage
- Fire Penetration : Penetration only benefit hits. Their main damage are from degen, not hits.
- Controlled Destruction
: Normally Damage over Time doesn't benefit from spell damage.
: SRay and RF has "Spell Damage Modifiers also affects DoT from this skill" modifier,
: which neither Kaom Fire Beam and UnRF have.
- Faster Casting
 : Beam Totem's Rotation speed is scaled with cast speed.
 : I don't think it is worth linking.

All required information is explained in this guide, but if you want to know more about specters, you can see here for more precise information about them.

Survivability : Calculation about ES recovery

Assume you have 2000 base Life, 1000 base Energy Shield,
200% increased maximum life and 300% increased maximum ES.
If you're not affected by SO, you have
2000 * 3.00 = 6000 Life
1000 * 4.00 = 4000 ES.

Now, Spirit offering's extra maximum energy shield is calculated in the same way as Presence of Chayula.
First, you gain 14% of BASE life as energy shield.
2000 * 0.14 = 280 ES
Next, add Inc Life and Inc ES.
200% + 300% = 500%
At last, multiply.
280 * 6.00 = 1680 ES.

This is the amount of ES you will recover by one cast of Spirit Offering.
As a result, you will have
6000 Life
4000 + 1680 = 5680 ES.

With 4.00 Attack Speed, SO is triggered 4 times per second, so you will recover
1680 * 4.00 = 6720 ES/s.

As you can see, what affect ES recovery speed are :
- +# to maximum Life (flat Life),
- +#% increased maximum Life (% Life), and
- +#% increased maximum ES (% ES).

Minions have far more Base Life like 40k and more recovery than you.
Don't worry about minions not in dangerous situations. (mentioned below)

Calculation about Elemental Resistances

Let's calculate elemental resistance.
13% from Passive skill tree
63% from Purity auras
20% from Necromancer Ascendancy (effected by your aura gains)
35% from Spirit Offering : almost always
= 131%

You need 175% elemental resistances to cap resists to 81% under elemental weakness in red tier maps,
thus only 44% extra from gears and jewels is required.
Fill the gap with gloves, belt, rings and amulet, or jewels if you can afford.

For this build has no mitigation against chaos damage other than 6,000 life pool and Life Flask, I recommend to take as much Chaos Resistance as possible with these 5 rare slots.

Gem Links

Unearth (3L : Poet's Pen)
> Greater Multiple Projectiles
> Volley / Lesser Multiple Projectiles

Spirit Offering (3L : Poet's Pen)
Frenzy
> Faster Attacks

Raise Spectre (6L : Helm*)
> Burning Damage
> Minion Damage
> Efficacy
> Swift Affliction
> Elemental Focus
*mentioned "Gears" section below.

Raise Zombie (6L : if you use Shavronne's or Vis Mortis)
> Ruthless
> Melee Physical Damage
> Damage on Full Life
> Minion Life
> Minion Damage

Animate Guardian (4L)
Summon Stone Golem / Summon Chaos Golem
> Minion Life
> Melee Splash
You can swap out Splash to Fortify/Empower for single boss fight.

Purity of Fire (4L)
Purity of Ice
Purity of Lightning
Discipline

Gears

Body Armour
You have 3 choices.
Body Armour

1. Kaom's Heart
The armour I most recommend.
It gives us 1500 Life, 400 ES, 1600 ES recover per second.
If you choose this, you need Elder rare helm with 2 support gem which is mentioned below.

2. Shavronne's Wrappings
If you struggle surviving chaos damage, or need extra sockets.
But I think it's enough with capped Chaos Res + Pantheons.

You can also make 6L Zombies raised up.

3. Vis Mortis
Most offensive choice. 1 more spectre = 33% more damage.
If you have enough defense and need more DPS against Shaper or Elder.

4. Rare Chest with crazy mods
I don't know what is good for this choice against 3 above.
But if you insist, it can be there.

Helmet
Elder Helmets can have
- Socketed gems are supported by level (16-20) Minion Damage and
- Socketed gems are supported by level (16-20) Burning Damage.
You can easily achieve 6-link with Far-Less-Than-1500 fusings.
Take your choice on remaining mods. Recommendation are flat life, ES and Chaos Resist.

If you use Shavronne's Wrappings, you may socket specter in it.
Then you should just take as much Life, ES and Chaos Res.

For Enchantment, quite few will benefit you.
++ Spectre Damage
+ Spectre attack and cast speed
+ Stone/Chaos Golem Buff Effect

Boots
Bones of Ullr with 15% movement speed.
1 more spectre. OP.
It also gives slight Life(+20) and ES(+27).

If you need MORE tankiness, you can swap this to Kaom's Roots.
But don't forget. This build lacks sockets.
With roots, you cannot use Guardians nor Stone Golems, which means 2 less body-guards and 67% less damage.

As enchantment, I will recommend "Adds # to # Cold Damage if you've been hit recently."
It gives you damage for Elemental Equilibrium while most of the time.
"Regenerate #% of Life and Mana per second if you've hit recently." is also nice.
You can also take "+1 to Maximum Frenzy Charge" corrupt mod for 8% increased attack speed.

Gloves, Rings and Amulet
Free slot. As mentioned above, you don't need so much resistance.
Take as much Life+ES as you can.
Recommended Base : Sorcerer Gloves, Coral/Amethyst Ring and Citrine Amulet.

For Enchantment, I like to use "of Spite" or "of Frost," chills enemies, procs Equilibrium.
Avoid ones with Fire Damage as "of Fury".
Oh you managed to get "Elemental Weakness on Hit" Gloves? Congratulations.

Jewel Selection
Normal jewel
++ (5-7)% increased Maximum Life
++ (6-8)% increased Maximum Energy Shield
++ +(12-16) Strength
+ +(8-10)% to all Elemental Resistance
+ +(12-15)% to # and # Resistance
+ +(12-16) Dexterity

Abyss Jewel
++ +(45-50) to Maximum Life
++ +(45-50) to Maximum Energy Shield
++ +(12-15) Strength
++ Adds # to # Cold/Lightning Damage to Spells (only one needed)
+ Minions Regenerate (0.5-1.0)% Maximum Life per second
+ Minions have (2-4)% block chance

Watcher's Eye
++ Cannot be cursed with Silence
++ 6% increased Maximum Life
++ 6% increased Maximum Energy Shield
++ #% of Physical Damage taken as (elemental) Damage while affected by Purity of something
+ Immune to Ignite/Shock/Freeze while affected by Purity of something
+ #% of Maximum Energy Shield Regenerated per Second while affected by Discipline

Flask Selection
Recommended Uniques
- Dying Sun : 2 additional Unearth projectile for more ES and replenish.

Mandatory Mods : Curse, Bleed, Freeze/Chill avoidance
Recommended Mods : Poison, Ignite avoidance, Movement Speed

Mandatory Base Items : Basalt, Quartz
Recommended Base Items : Stibnite, Quicksilver, Ruby/Sapphire/Topaz

Current Gears

Current stats in hideout

only auras and stone golem

with Flasks and Spirit Offering

8890 - 6260 = 2630 ES / use
2630 * 4.05 APS = 10651 ES / sec

Guardian Equipment

Dyadus, Infernal Axe
This unique axe cause enemies chilled by the guardian to take 100% increased burning damage.
Dual wielding Dyadus cause 200%, which means 200% more damage.

Dyadus also chills enemies for 1 second, ignoring cold damage threshold.
=> Enemies attacked by the guardian take 200% more damage. Simply powerful.

Icetomb, Latticed Ringmail
extends chill to 2.5s

Asenath's Gentle Touch, Silk Gloves
Temporal Chains on hit.

60% chaos resistance from The Broken Crown.
You can also use Leer Cast for 15% damage aura.
10% Increased Movement Speed aura from Victario's Flight.

Deadly situations for animated guardian
Through my whole paths as this character, Guardian died for 2 times.
1. Slamming Sword trap at Uber Lab. It easily excesses ES pool of minions.
2. Hall of Grandmasters. DO NOT EVEN CHALLENGE that map. It's impossible.

notion: Unearth targeting

As Tornado Shot, Unearth spreads wider when targeting far distance.
Since Unearth cannot land on non-grounds, (i.g. walls or holes) we should make sure you land all the Unearth projectiles.
We should take care more when we encounter Abyss. Unearth cannot land on the Abyss hole.

Here's a simple tip for skill shot. When you engage enemy packs,
1st shot : Target as far as you can to proc Elemental Equilibrium on every monster.
2nd and onward : Target your foot location.

We should also take care of Spike traps on Labs.
It covers you in walls, which prevent your Unearth from landing.
Last edited by KU_KALAS on Feb 4, 2018, 3:34:00 AM
Last bumped on Feb 4, 2018, 2:07:16 AM
Thank for help.
I'll try it and comment later
Took me a long time to level up as spectres compared to doing something else with the poet's pens. I wasn't sure which way to go ascendancy wise, so I did Mistress > Commander > Zombie Phys > Spectre Life Damage.

I definitely recommend if you're wanting to do it, do Act 1-10 just as Unearth/VD and Bodyswap just for the sheer LOLSPEEDCLEAR!

When I went Spectres I was using Tabula and Flame Sentinels > Kitava's Heralds > Solar Guards > Tukohama/Wickermen at Act 10.

In Merc/Uber Lab, despite the high ES per second and fairly inflated life of the tankier spectres and zombies, I still lost a couple due to stupid AI through the trap gauntlets. Think you have to put Convocation in your weaponswap.

Also, speaking of weapon swaps, a +2 chaos staff (the new unique for 2 alchs or so) is perfect for Desecrate+Spell Cascade and any gems you want to level (I 6Socketed mine in about 30 jewelers, so got lucky).

Spike traps will be your nemesis in lab as they block unearth from hitting. If you don't have a clear landing point for unearth, you can't use spirit offering.

Also, I lost animated guardian with 12k health in uber lab somehow while spamming. Not real sure how, but reequipping is like 4c or so, I had to give incentives for people to even trade the crappier uniques.

I think I'll keep it around for when I'm having trouble with a boss as it clearly melts the living poop out of them, but compared to some of the other builds I've played I'm not sure.

IT IS HIGHLY EFFECTIVE!

PS. Astramentis. You need it. Seriously. I ended up having to buy one because I kept getting annoyed by not being able to level gems.
Hi,

The build looks interesting!

But as you said, clear speed should be meh at best.

Might be worth playing around with it though.
Vis Mortis / Haste + Purity of Elements (instead of the 3 Purity auras) / Solar Guards / Unending Hunter Jewel might be a beginning.

Bisco's leash for rampage or darkness enthroned with 2 Abyss jewels could also help (does "# increased minion damage when casting a minion skill" work here when SO is proc'd by Poet's Pen? Guess not)

Then comes movement speed...

Love the idea though!
"
(does "# increased minion damage when casting a minion skill" work here when SO is proc'd by Poet's Pen? Guess not)

I have no idea on this. Neither has anyone I've talked to in my guild. Because of the nature of burning damage and all the multipliers, I was not able to accurately figure out if 48% or so was much of an increase (two 18% in a darkness enthroned).

There is no mistaking this build's tankiness in the right situation nor its ability to melt bosses down.

I think it's just a little too clunky for me, and that's sad because I have spent quite a bit of time getting it up and through uber lab. One thing I did was I went down to the Scion life wheel as I felt the mana regen was a little lacking to sustain 4 frenzies per second (witch screaming about mana is a little annoying) and Shaper node was on the way.

Can look at my profile to see my char versus theirs. AzureSpectromancer. I switched to a Stygian Vise as with the extra gear I wanted to buy I could only get to just under 75% resists on a yellow map with Elemental Weakness.
Thank you for replies!

"

I definitely recommend if you're wanting to do it, do Act 1-10 just as Unearth/VD and Bodyswap just for the sheer LOLSPEEDCLEAR!

I've totally forgotten about leveling section. I will add it later.

"

In Merc/Uber Lab, despite the high ES per second and fairly inflated life of the tankier spectres and zombies, I still lost a couple due to stupid AI through the trap gauntlets. Think you have to put Convocation in your weaponswap.

I recommend it too. I think Portal, Convocation and Desecrate should be in swapped weapon.

"

Spike traps will be your nemesis in lab as they block unearth from hitting. If you don't have a clear landing point for unearth, you can't use spirit offering.

Maybe I should make another section about Unearth targeting. Adding it later.

"

I lost animated guardian with 12k health in uber lab somehow while spamming. Not real sure how, but reequipping is like 4c or so, I had to give incentives for people to even trade the crappier uniques.

Outdoor blade-slam trap can easily excess ES pool of Animated Guardian. I've also lost one for it. Maybe that's it.

In your video, you showed your fight with trio where you died nearly instantly and quickly cut to atziri.

this build is a necromancer spectre build that uses a poet's pen with unearth + spirit offering. neither of these concepts are particularly new or original. I would hope there would be some interaction here really different to make your build stand out.

Your choice of a watcher's eye that gives immunity to shock while affected by purity of lightning seems lackluster, is that really the combination of aura and buff from that jewel that you would choose?

Some necromancers choose empower over something like melee splash for their guardian and golem to give them increased survivability, or fortify. thoughts?

I think there is a lot more to work on for optimization in this build, and as you have stated it is currently a work in progress. WIP builds typically do not make it onto the listing until they have reached a near-completed state. Players that have little to no experience with Path should be able to review the listing and pick one and be able to follow it. The burden of knowledge that many players have already overcome in order to master the game cannot be required for newer players, so I attempt to keep listings only to completed builds, or those that are exceptionally easy to follow.

I'm not super enthusiastic that you basically told people to follow a different spectre build guide, and then just added poet's pens for spirit offering.
Hot Flashes: poeurl.com/bPZT
Balance: poeurl.com/btzp
Shocking EleHit: poeurl.com/bZXo
"
Kwitch wrote:
In your video, you showed your fight with trio where you died nearly instantly and quickly cut to atziri.

this build is a necromancer spectre build that uses a poet's pen with unearth + spirit offering. neither of these concepts are particularly new or original. I would hope there would be some interaction here really different to make your build stand out.

Your choice of a watcher's eye that gives immunity to shock while affected by purity of lightning seems lackluster, is that really the combination of aura and buff from that jewel that you would choose?

Some necromancers choose empower over something like melee splash for their guardian and golem to give them increased survivability, or fortify. thoughts?

I think there is a lot more to work on for optimization in this build, and as you have stated it is currently a work in progress. WIP builds typically do not make it onto the listing until they have reached a near-completed state. Players that have little to no experience with Path should be able to review the listing and pick one and be able to follow it. The burden of knowledge that many players have already overcome in order to master the game cannot be required for newer players, so I attempt to keep listings only to completed builds, or those that are exceptionally easy to follow.

I'm not super enthusiastic that you basically told people to follow a different spectre build guide, and then just added poet's pens for spirit offering.

0. That video is cut in purpose. Cuz i died at rain of arrows by A'lai :P
  That was only because the build WAS wip. Added final build video.
1. This is not WIP guide anymore. I forgot to erase that sentence.
2. Added Watcher's Eye mod selection in <Gears> spoiler. One in Current Gear is my own, one just I can afford.
3. Added swap-out option for Empower/Fortify at Gems section. They greatly increases the survivability, but melee splash is mandatory for guardian to chill enemies in battle against 2+ monsters. This build has enough boss-kill power/survivability even with Melee Splash linked to Guardian/Golem so I've left it unchanged.
4. Added a spoiler about spectres that wasn't enough for stand-alone build guide.

How about it?
Last edited by KU_KALAS on Feb 4, 2018, 8:37:18 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info