Mod rolls on different base item types that have the same ilevel

First off, this is kind of a difficult question for me to even articulate, much less know how to search for the answer to. Google and searching on the forums didn't turn up a definitive answer. The wiki doesn't say anything one way or the other about this specifically, so, I hope I'm not asking one of those questions that a million people ask every day.

I am trying to figure out what white items I should be trying to craft on in order to improve my stuff. I know that an item can only get more powerful properties based on its item level.

However, base items that start dropping much earlier can still drop later, scaled up to the item level of an area. Let's take Battle Lamellar for example. It starts dropping at level minimum ilevel 54.

Triumphant Lamellar starts dropping at minimum ilevel 69.

Now, let's say I have a Battle Lamellar and a Triumphant Lamellar that are both ilevel 72.

Is there an advantage of choosing to craft on the Triumphant in favor of the Battle? Do base types that start dropping higher have anything like better intrinsic chances of rolling awesome mods, even if both of the pieces can roll the same mods due to their ilevel?

I ask because I'm not sure whether I should be grabbing things like Battle Lamellar to try to hack around with, or if I should ignore those and only bother with Triumphant, even when I'm getting pieces that are the same ilevel.

I know that for some types of items, this decision would depend on things like implicit modifiers for certain base types, the base damage on a weapon type and so forth. But given two different base types, neither of which have any deciding factors like implicits, is there any known hidden advantage to favoring the 'higher' base type over the lower?

I hope I articulated that properly. Let me know if this makes no sense and I'll try to clarify!

EDIT: I forgot about sockets. Sockets are obviously a thing that makes a higher item favorable. I don't remember whether Battle Lamellar can have 6 sockets, but for the sake of example, let's assume it can.
Last edited by technitaur on Dec 17, 2017, 9:37:38 AM
Last bumped on Dec 20, 2017, 7:17:13 PM
"
technitaur wrote:
Now, let's say I have a Battle Lamellar and a Triumphant Lamellar that are both ilevel 72.
Is there an advantage of choosing to craft on the Triumphant in favor of the Battle?

They roll the exact same affixes. The Triumphant of course has much better base stats, making multipliers stronger on the Triumphant. No reason to use the worse Battle Lamellar.

"
technitaur wrote:
EDIT: I forgot about sockets. Sockets are obviously a thing that makes a higher item favorable. I don't remember whether Battle Lamellar can have 6 sockets, but for the sake of example, let's assume it can.

Sockets are determined by item level; ilv50 for 6s.
Ahh, I'd forgotten about base defensive stats - derp on my part - but you did answer my question. Thank you - this is mostly for 'in a pinch' type of situations where I desperately need to upgrade but haven't had any decent rares drop for a while and I'm just scraping for whatever white gear I can to try to get some kind of improvement, however temporary it may be. So it's not a total waste to throw alchs at a few inferior pieces if I'm leveling up and desperate for resistances or something.

Definitely not ideal if I want maximum defensive stats, as you pointed out. Since I do have halfway decent pieces in many slots, I'll stick to waiting for the higher ilevel stuff to drop. Thanks!
Doesn’t the ilvl of an item also determine how high a tier you can craft an affix? So the higher the ilvl the higher the chance you get that highest tier roll range? Plus base stats of course. So that’s why back in the old ES glory days you crafted on an ilvl 83+ Vaal regalia for your chest item....?

I’m no serious crafter so this is a genuine question and not some passive aggressive comment lol.

Also,I see I missed the spirit of the op which was same ilvl different base. Sorry about that.
Last edited by Slaanesh69 on Dec 18, 2017, 12:17:51 AM
"
Slaanesh69 wrote:
Doesn’t the ilvl of an item also determine how high a tier you can craft an affix? So the higher the ilvl the higher the chance you get that highest tier roll range? Plus base stats of course. So that’s why back in the old ES glory days you crafted on an ilvl 83+ Vaal regalia for your chest item....?

I’m no serious crafter so this is a genuine question and not some passive aggressive comment lol.

Also,I see I missed the spirit of the op which was same ilvl different base. Sorry about that.

Not a problem, like I said, it's an odd question and one that was kind of difficult to even express. XD

In the end, the question in my head is basically an extreme micromanagement issue. Depending on the answer, it could be used to save a few orbs of scouring here and there. To make an attempt to answer your question:

I took a look at poeaffix.net and looked at several random modifiers; the highest ones I could find required ilevel 86. The highest ilevel stuff appears to be different for each type of item, so if you wanted to have a chance to get the best possible rolls on a given item, you'd have to look at the list of possible modifiers for that item type. For example, for armour-only boots, the highest tier of movement speed (Hellion's, +35% movement speed) requires that the ilevel be at least 86. I see no other mods in the list that require the boots to be that high. So as I understand it, you could hack around on ilevel 85 boots and still get really good boots, potentially getting maximum values in everything except movement speed. But in order to have that 35% movement speed, the ilevel would need to be at least 86.

So, with better clarity for my own question - and you're probably wondering this too: What if you have some boots that are ilevel 90? Do they intrinsically have a better chance of rolling really good values than the ilevel 86 piece, or are both pieces functionally the same for crafting? Probably only the devs know, unless players have done a shit-ton of experimentation on this sort of thing.

Again... this is just micromanaging to the point of me feeling silly about it, but on the other hand, we gamers do love our micromanaging.
Last edited by technitaur on Dec 18, 2017, 2:22:57 AM
"
Vipermagi wrote:

They roll the exact same affixes. The Triumphant of course has much better base stats, making multipliers stronger on the Triumphant. No reason to use the worse Battle Lamellar.

Actually, there is a reason. For example items on which you don't care about their bases stats (evasion gloves or armor gloves, that you won't be rolling to have extra evasion/armor). The stat requirement increases a lot, while their base states not so much. You may want to have such unmatching attribute gear element to socket your off-color setups. Not to mention that these items will be far more likely to roll off-colors.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
How do you even get iLvl that high? There are a couple of prophecies I know. T16 is base iLvl 84.......magic can drop +1 and rares/uniques +2? So there is your 86, but 90 is only do-able from....prophecy?
"
Slaanesh69 wrote:
How do you even get iLvl that high? There are a couple of prophecies I know. T16 is base iLvl 84.......magic can drop +1 and rares/uniques +2? So there is your 86, but 90 is only do-able from....prophecy?

I'll be honest, as the noob I am, I just assumed you could get up to 90 and even higher ilevel, because players can reach level 100. But I wasn't sure. I was kinda waiting for someone to call me out on the idea of an ilevel 90 item, since I wasn't even sure they existed.

Since apparently that's not a thing, I have to say that my question has been best answered by Perq. I hadn't thought about the idea of rolling off-colors, but I've been reminded of it, and I thank Perq for that!
"
technitaur wrote:

Any item (well obviously only body armor and 2H weapons) can have 6 sockets. Even if it can't roll them via Jeweller's Orbs due to having low item level, they can always be crafted with Vorici's workbench regardless of the item level.

You could grab a Shabby Jerkin you got off of Hillock and punch 6 holes in it if you wanted.
Last edited by Abdiel_Kavash on Dec 19, 2017, 1:29:22 AM
Huh, I didn't know that you could force 6 sockets onto something that normally can't have it. *The More You Know sound effect*

Also, thank you also to Perq - these things were exactly the kind of information I was hoping to learn. Something that not everyone might immediately think of when considering gear. My questions here have been nicely answered!
Last edited by technitaur on Dec 19, 2017, 4:34:49 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info