Crashes/Exceptions

I often get crashes (Exceptions/PoE stopped working etc.) like mentioned in that thread https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2042105 and it seems that there is no solution regarding drivers/settings to avoid the crashes.

So i did some tests on using different skill setups.

How i tested:
- stayed in Hideout.
- used the skill (numpad abuse) until poe crashed.
- repeat each setup 5 times.

Results:

Firestorm + CwC + Scorching Ray: Crash after ~60 seconds
Firestorm + Spell echo + spell cascade + increased area: Crash after ~15 seconds
Firestorm + CWC + Fireball: No crash after 5 minutes
Firestorm: No crash after 5 minutes
Firestorm + spell echo + faster casting: Error after ~60 seconds
Flamesurge + spell echo + faster casting: No crash after 5 minutes
--> It seems that the crash occurs faster and therefore more often the more actions per second are triggered by the character.

Can other people with that problem confirm this?

update:
changed from firestorm-cwc-scorching ray to flamesurge-spell echo-faster casting

5 minutes in hideout. no crash. did 5 maps. no crash until yet. before i had 2-3 crashes per map.

edit2:

playing cremation now. no crash since 30-40 maps. problem solved for me:)
Last edited by Boron84 on Dec 14, 2017, 7:59:05 PM
Last bumped on Dec 21, 2017, 2:37:19 PM
Yes, crash occurs when the most action happens on screen. I tested in areas: while you going slow and pacs of mobs are small you're good, but if you encounter a big pack and start smashing them like crazy - here we go - exception. Also herald of ash effect on a pack of mobs increases the chance to crash. So it seems that the more effects and models are involved - the higher chance.
Last edited by MaxGor31 on Dec 14, 2017, 10:10:32 AM
This is valuable stuff, if it isn't clear to you: if GGG can reproduce the problem, it became way easier for them to fix it.

You probably want to include a link to your dxdiag output on pastebin or something, for their reference. However, good testing, narrowing down what it might be. Reading the first bits, I suspected it might be another SR crash, but it seems like you can generate the failure with firestorm alone, so that is good.

Oh, and which hideout are you in (eg: small haku, medium zana, large elrond, etc)
Same problem here but with The Whispering Ice+SR+CWC and "icestorm" that provides this unique staff.

(\ /)
( . .)♥
c(”)(”)
The Whispering Ice is fine. Geared out a WI Marauder yesterday, and got to maps, not one crash the entire experience. Eyes should be specifically on Spell Cascade not so much Whispering Ice it's self.
same problems here

scorching ray, spell cascade wispering ice

crashs all 2 maps.

testet with 32 bit client, 64 bit client, all settings low, all settings high
direct x9, 9x3, x11

all result the same.

took out spell cascade and put in ce problem solved.

bug reports to ggg with no answer. Posting in bug forum no answer,
asking on reddit no answer.
so it seems it no problem for them because the problem hit not enought people.
+1 The Whispering Ice
"
ValentX70 wrote:
+1 The Whispering Ice

Whispering ice with SPell Cascade *
I found a solution for fixing Spell Cascade bug with Whispering Ice (only Nvidia users)

From desktop, bottom right-->NVIDIA control panel--->3D Configuration--->PhysX Configuration--->chose your grap.card model and remove "AUTO". Seems that in "AUTO", this game chose CPU for PhysX..and client crashed.

Just tested yesterday, total played 5 hours (random), zero crashed (even in full party).

Just tested today, about 1.5 hours playing, zero crashed.

Spoiler

(\ /)
( . .)♥
c(”)(”)
Last edited by redix27 on Dec 21, 2017, 7:54:14 AM
"
redix27 wrote:
I found a solution for fixing Spell Cascade bug with Whispering Ice (only Nvidia users)

From desktop, bottom right-->NVIDIA control panel--->3D Configuration--->PhysX Configuration--->chose your grap.card model and remove "AUTO". Seems that in "AUTO", this game chose CPU for PhysX..and client crashed.

Just tested yesterday, total played 5 hours (random), zero crashed (even in full party).

Just tested today, about 1.5 hours playing, zero crashed.

Spoiler

You should email tech support with this information. They will probably notice it from the forums, but why not make their lives easy by calling it out directly.

Finding a mechanism to reproduce the problem is absolutely the best thing you could possibly do in terms of getting this fixed. Hopefully now GGG developers can reproduce it internally, and then they can fix it. Without that ... they are just stabbing in the dark, hoping to hit the bug.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info