Telperion_sr's Poet's Pen Corpsesplosion Raider

When I first saw The Poet's Pen, I immediately wanted to do something awesome with it. I looked over using many spells for it, but none of them seemed super enticing. That was until I thought, Hm, I wonder how Unearth and corpse spells work with it?
And I got this:

Pros:
+High Clear Speed
+Solid DPS
+Flashy AF
+Don't need to worry about accuracy
+Some Dodge
Cons:
-Potentially Expensive
-Volatile Dead can screw you sometimes.
-Bakes Potatoes (don't play if your computer is less than ideal)

How does it work?
Spoiler
Poet's Pen has a 250ms cooldown for each spell in it. That means that each spell can be triggered up to 4 times per second.
As a raider using Frenzy as a main skill, we can reach a ton of attack speed.
With the first attack, it casts Unearth with GMP, creating 5 corpses, and Detonate Dead,
destroying 1 corpse.
With the second attack, it casts Cremation, destroying 1 corpse, and Volatile Dead, destroying 3 corpses. Leaving us with exactly 0 corpses left, aside from the entire screen of mobs we just killed.

Some Numbers:
Spoiler
Detonate Dead deals 17703.8 average damage (+6% corpse hp)
Volatile Dead deals 12416.4 average damage (+3% corpse hp) X3 explosions
Cremation deals 4381.3 average damage (+4% corpse hp)
Unearth deals 3362.8 average damage
Each is cast about 4 times per second:
(17703.8+(12416.4*3)+4381.3+3362.8) = 62697.1 average damage per cycle + 19% corpse hp
Total of 250k dps. This is not including Cremation projectiles, or the 19% corpse hp. (I will add the corpse hp if/when we get actual hp numbers for the Bone Archers)

Skill Tree:
Spoiler
Bandits:
Spoiler
Doesn't matter, just don't take Alira. Both Oak, Kraityn, and Eramir are all just fine.

Pantheon:
Spoiler
It doesn't make much of a difference what Pantheon you choose, but this is what I do:
Major: I like Brine King, the stun and freeze resistance is enough to keep up through the downtime of our Kiara's Determination.
Minor: I absolutely love Ryslatha, the life flask regen is absolutely incredible, especially when paired with
and the Increased Recovery from Life Flasks in Profane Chemistry.

Path of Building Pastebin (Level 94):
Spoiler
https://pastebin.com/Mt4d14W1
For the Configuration tab, check off that you use Frenzy Charges, and the enemy is Covered in Ash

Path of Exile Skill Tree (Level 94):

Gearing:
Spoiler
Mandatory Gear:
Spoiler

Self explanatory, it is what the build is around.

The +1 curse is mandatory so that we can use Warlord's Mark for leech and Flammability for damage.

Debatably Mandatory Gear:
Spoiler

Should be self explanatory, lots of life + solid fire damage.

This allows you to face tank a lot, and with good clear speed you can have 100% uptime.

Fireborn lets us change the % increased Chaos Damage from the Method of Madness cluster into %
increased Fire Damage. It gives us a total of 52% increased, which is respectable.

Fertile Mind gives us the Intelligence we need if you socket it near the Ranger's +1 Frenzy charge. Not necessary if you can get enough Intelligence on gear, but that is very difficult.

Amazing, but not mandatory gear:
Spoiler

Gives us life and solid fire damage. The "Cannot be Frozen if you have used a Fire Skill Recently" doesn't seem to work with triggered fire spells though.

20% faster cooldown recovery is effectively 20% more potential DPS. It's just really good,
but may be next to impossible to get in temp leagues.

Xoph's Blood gives us the most damage compared to any other amulet. Not mandatory, but very nice to have.

Fill the rest with good rares. (Life, resists, etc.)

Enchantments:
Spoiler
From Best to Worst:
Flammability Curse Effect > Unearth skeletons have +5 level (depending on how much hp they actually have) > Volatile Dead Damage > Detonate Dead Damage > Cremation Damage

Jewels:
Spoiler
Look for life and damage modifiers for your spells primarily (i.e. area damage, damage,
spell damage, fire damage
, etc.)
Attack speed for your wands is good, but make sure not to go over the 8 attacks per second threshold, otherwise you will miss out on Poet's Pen procs.
Also, don't be afraid to use jewels to cap resists. This build uses lots of uniques, so getting rares with enough resistances is very difficult.

My Gear (Standard):
Spoiler

Gem Setup:
Spoiler
Left Pen: Unearth - Cremation - GMP
Right Pen: Detonate Dead - Volatile Dead - Elemental Focus
Gloves/Helm/Boots: Frenzy - Faster Attacks - Greater Multiple Projectiles - Culling Strike
Gloves/Helm/Boots: Blasphemy - Warlord's Mark - Flammability
Gloves/Helm/Boots: Lightning Warp - Blood Magic - Less Duration - Faster Casting (this setup is
Gloves/Helm/Boots: not mandatory, move speed from flasks is probably enough, but it's nice
Gloves/Helm/Boots: when you don't have flask charges)

Accomplishments:
Spoiler
Uber Lab: Easy, Volatile Dead lets you strafe Izaro for days.

Normal Atziri: Easy, with quirks.

Done up to T14 maps so far with no real issues.

Poorjoy's Asylum: Easy

Level 75 Elder Down and Deathless (except for when he explodes on death, did't know he did that :P)

Gameplay Tips:
Spoiler
Prefire Lots: Whenever there is a delay or pause in a boss fight, just spam your Frenzy. It will create tons of Volatile Dead balls which will all hit the boss when they come up.

Don't use Volatile Dead on Atziri: Volatile Dead's quality of targeting different mobs makes it target her reflect clone, which will kill you 100% of the time. Swap it out for Bladefall or something similar

Remember that Unearth always pierces, it doesn't matter if your Frenzy can't. You can create corpses with it behind enemies, it targets your cursor.

Videos:
Spoiler
Tier 11 Shaper Influenced Promenade with -max, extra proj, boss life, and monster resists: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STx6rMOQA7o&feature=youtu.be
Normal Atziri: (should have been deathless, but Windows wanted to tell me something during the clone phase)
https://youtu.be/sN0T948-kIU
Last edited by Telperion_sr on Dec 15, 2017, 12:04:30 PM
Last bumped on Dec 21, 2017, 11:30:52 AM
I like this build. Kill bosses in 2 sec.
And I don't even have Detonate Death nor Cremation linked in the wands yet ! (Can't manage to get 3 greens so I just have Uneath in main wand and volatile death + 2 supports in the other wand)

What do you think about MoM ?
"
Lolonutts wrote:
I like this build. Kill bosses in 2 sec.
And I don't even have Detonate Death nor Cremation linked in the wands yet ! (Can't manage to get 3 greens so I just have Uneath in main wand and volatile death + 2 supports in the other wand)

What do you think about MoM ?

Thanks a bunch, if you are having trouble with socket colors, you can always just save up 120 chromatics to use Vorici 3 Greens.

As for MoM, it would work just fine I am sure, I just don't really like MoM setups that much myself. It may also be a touch difficult since MoM is really far from the Ranger, you would need a very different tree since it is all the way up there, and there isn't a ton of mana available to the Ranger. TLDR, I would probably recommend playing a different class if you went MoM, but it could still work perfectly fine.
Last edited by Lolonutts on Dec 19, 2017, 8:58:38 AM
That tree would work, but you would have a much lower attack speed.
It gets a lot more damage per hit, but probably about half the attack speed. (67% attack speed vs. 195% attack speed. (296% damage vs. 100% damage)

I would expect DPS to be very similar, so it would probably work perfectly fine. It is just focusing on damage rather than attack speed.
I would also recommend hitting EE with that tree, and having a small amount of added cold/lightning to attacks.
Thanks for the reply.
Hey Dude,

iam trying your Build atm in Abyss League. The Problem is i struggle a bit with the Single Target DPS..
Clear Speed is good ( i use for much better Clean speed Power Siphon, and for Bosses Frenzy as attack Skill )

Thats my actual Gear:

My Character isnt private so feel free to watch my Tree and i hope you can help me a bit :)

Best Regards
@Dahakar21

I think that the main thing you are missing is just skill points. Right now your tree is only at 20% elemental damage while the full tree is at 100%, same with attack speed in that you just need more skill points really.
Your tree also has the crit nodes near shadow (Assassination), when the build is a non-crit variant. I recommend respeccing those into maybe the elemental damage at shadow start.
Also, you have only 3 jewel sockets right now, while I use 6. It's not a HUGE difference, but it helps.
Additionally, while the Lightpoacher helm is awesome, you should experiment and see if you get any higher single target using the Hrimnor's helmet, as it gives %fire damage.
And the jewel socketed in your belt doesn't add to your damage at all, since you really don't deal any damage with the attack part.

Hope that helps.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info