[3.1][HC/SC] Scorching Cascade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uybeq2LmOik&feature=youtu.be

What it do
Spoiler

The basic idea here is to use Scorching Ray debuff to get fire penetration and extra damage. The default cast rate on Glacial Cascade is .80. With Cast While Channeling, it starts at .40; it only gets better from there.

We convert our damage into full fire utilizing two of the new thresholds for Glacial Cascade(The Long Winter) to convert 40% of our physical damage into cold, then a Cold to Fire support in our main link setup. The rest of the damage is converted to fire via Avatar of Fire on the tree. My other version of this build lost a bit of damage (probably 5% or so) by not converting the physical all the way to cold. The Long Winter should also make clearing a bit easier, since the cascade will reach further.

Pros:
-Super tanky (6k HP with a 2k Mind Over Matter pool)
-Super budget
-Easy to get going (by lv 38 you can be comfy in a 4L)
-Can run almost any map mod (cannot leech/ele reflect aren't runable)
-Super rewarding once you understand the build

Cons:
-Slightly awkward playstyle until you adapt (gets better with cast speed, too)
-Have to level as Sunder DW until lv 38 or 40
-Not very mobile while channeling

Skill Tree + Bandits:
Spoiler

Path of Building: https://pastebin.com/agN7JbzQ
The pastebin above has all of the leveling trees included as well.

26 points
47 points
62 points
80 points
113 points

Bandits: Kill All

For leveling I went DW Cleave into DW Sunder. If you choose to do the same, find a RRG linked item for Sunder - Added Fire(swap to melee physical at lv 18) - and Faster Attacks(18). Use the whetstone recipe to keep your weapon updated (whetstone + weapon + magic/rare rustic sash).

Around level 25-30, you can start looking for a 4L BBBR for your Scorching Cascade setup.

After doing the library quest, you can pick up the gems required for the build (Glacial Cascade, Cold to Fire, Scorching Ray, Controlled Destruction). You'll need other ones such as Orb of Storms but you don't have to stress over it right after the start. It's just important to pick up the ones for your main damage setup so they can level in your offset.

At lv 38 after defeating Kaom/Daresso, you can start transition into the build. The 47 point tree is the transitional period. Prerequisites for transitioning are Avatar of Fire, and specing out of all the melee nodes.

You don't have to follow the skill trees I have linked above point for point. If you're in Hardcore, for example, you might want more life than I have speced on the tree for that point in the game. Use your own judgement on these things; I'm simply providing a baseline.

Skill Gem Setup:
Spoiler

Cast while Channeling - Scorching Ray - GC - Cold to Fire - Controlled Dest - Inc AoE

Decoy Totem - Enduring Cry - Flame Dash

Cast when Damage Taken - Immortal Call - Inc Duration - Flammability

Orb of Storms - Arcane Surge(6) - Curse On Hit - Flammability

Shield Charge - Faster Attacks - Fortify

Hatred(Essence Worm)

Swap Inc AoE for Conc Effect in main setup for bossing. Some of the links are personal preference. Do what you will.

Ascendancy and Pantheons:
Spoiler

Berserker:
Pain Reaver - Crave the Slaughter - Aspect of Carnage - Preference

Pantheons:
Major: Brine King (until you get Kaom's Roots) into Lunaris
Minor: Gruthkul (if reflect is somehow a problem in 3.1, swap to Yugul)

Gear:
Spoiler

This was my gear on my HC Chieftain during Mayhem. Belt of the Deceiver no longer gives spells a more damage multiplier so I won't be using it. I'll probably just use a rare belt with life/res's.

As you can see, it's nothing special. I dropped the Tabula farming Blood Aqueducts. Up until Sun and Moon I had been using the same four link (CwC - SR - Cold to Fire - GC) I recommended to start using at lv 38.

Ideally I'd want a Doon Cuebiyari or a Doryani's Catalyst. I have somewhat ideal gear included in my Path of Building pastebin located in the Skill Tree section. That being said, the gear is pretty cheap and pretty self-obtainable. Even if you're SSF and you can't chance a Doon Cuebyari or farm yourself a Doryani's doing Atziri runs, you can make due with a rare sceptre with fire/spell damage and some cast speed.

Flasks:
Spoiler

Bubbling Divine of Staunching - Experimenter's Quicksilver of Warding - Catalysed Eternal Mana Flask of Staunching - The Wise Oak - Experimenter's Granite of Iron Skin

Run an "of Heat" Granite or whatever you prefer in that slot until you get Kaom's Roots.

Jewels:
Spoiler

Clear Mind, The Long Winter x2.

Shoot for Fire/Spell Damage applies to both Scorching Ray's Damage and Glacial Cascade, on top of a life roll. If you have to settle for damage that only applies to GC (such as Cold and Area Damage), it's okay. And if you have to settle for a jewel without life, no worries. You can always upgrade later.

Cast Speed is super nice quality of life, as it increases the turning speed of Scorching Ray. Settling for this isn't even bad if you pair it with a nice life roll.

Videos:
Spoiler

I'll be updating this during War for Atlas as I level and progress the character to maps. For now, there are some videos of my Scion version of the build (imagine the build doing 40% more damage and you'll get the picture xD)

Innocence
Kitava(Act5)
Arakaali
Doedre(Act8)
Sun and Moon
Kitava(Act10)
Beach Map

Closing Notes:
Spoiler

So far, the build's been super enjoyable. I haven't had this much fun with a build since my Cast on Crit Ice/Shock Nova Elemental Equilibrium character. The feeling you get while whirling the Scorching Ray around and shooting out Glacial Cascades is nothing short of euphoric. Sure, it takes a bit of getting used to, and some time to get going, but playing your character at lv 38 (compared to some builds that transition at 60 plus) is rewarding.

If you have any questions at all regarding the build, feel free to drop by my Twitch. I'm always happy to answer questions ;3

Last edited by WaifuGate on Jan 1, 2018, 4:42:25 PM
Last bumped on Feb 6, 2018, 4:14:23 AM
I really like what i'm seeing in your build, so far, do you think it could do the Shaper or Guardians?
"
Raymexodus wrote:
I really like what i'm seeing in your build, so far, do you think it could do the Shaper or Guardians?

I think with gear it could do both. Especially as Berserker. I just picked up an Essence Worm and Clear Mind a bit ago, and I have shit gear everywhere else. Damage feels fine. It can get a little dicey in large Abyss swarms but it holds its own. I think if I were playing more careful I'd be fine, and if I had gone after Pain Reaver first instead of the warcry(warcry is almost useless for the build. Interrupts the channeling and it always feels awful).

Hi - was looking for a nice marauder build and yours seems to be just the kind of build I was looking for. Playing a marauder first time since i usually stick to rangers and duelists but I feel like it's gonna be fun!

I was watching your Twitch channel and wanted to know if you've changed a bit of the skill tree.

Also why do you take Elemental Overload when I don't really see anything with crit in the whole build?

Last edited by Kristas on Dec 10, 2017, 12:34:42 PM
"
Kristas wrote:
Hi - was looking for a nice marauder build and yours seems to be just the kind of build I was looking for. Playing a marauder first time since i usually stick to rangers and duelists but I feel like it's gonna be fun!

I was watching your Twitch channel and wanted to know if you've changed a bit of the skill tree.

Also why do you take Elemental Overload when I don't really see anything with crit in the whole build?

I think I answered this on stream for you, but if this was a different person I'll answer just in case. I take Elemental Overload because you'll end up criting with Orb of Storms for tanky rare mobs. Or just with general clearing with a random Glacial Cascade. Elemental Overload will be up 99% of the time on bosses if you use Orb, and it's nice to drop during an Abyss.

Hope this helps mate ;3
Can u bump on the items, staff, boots, etc.?
Hey, thanks for the build, very beginner friendly and low budget, I am playing with my first Marauder.

I have some questions though:

1. How important is Vaal Pact? Its quite a few passive skill points you spend on going that route and although you pick up some mana regen, I think its very expensive for the healing?
There's a lot of crit for spells and spell power you can take instead or even more protection if that is needed later on.

2. I just found out that Cast when damage taken gem can only support "gems of level 38 or lower". My gems for Immortal Call, Increased duration and Flammability require much higher level now - 62, 62 and 64. So that means they dont proc at all? And do you then have to not upgrade them when playing just like the Cast when damage taken gem itself? It raises the damage needed to proc per gem level :-( Oh and just realized that I have the same problem with Orb of Storms and Arcane Surge. That wont proc cos Orbs doesnt cost enough mana. So I shouldnt have levelled Arcane Surge either?

3. I just found Deodre's unique gloves and they boost damage by a LOT at the cost of cast speed. How bad is that for the build?

Hope you have time to answer. I am saving my passives until I get definite confirmation about Vaal Pact :-)
Last edited by Slyhn on Feb 6, 2018, 4:59:26 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info