[3.1] Condensed tree Scorching Totems Hierophant theorycraft

Hi, I've been picking apart several builds I could try for 3.1/Abyss, mainly hierophants and scions, and trying to make something of the Lightning Tendrils rework, but I've been gravitating towards Scorching Ray totems hierophant, the only build I ever went deathless with (on a now-disused alt).

I've mocked up a rework of that with a much more condensed tree at the expense of 2 endurance charges.
Full tree

https://poeplanner.com/AAkAAQcACSUDAID53U8EQ8jAZgSzogDwH2jy6-6a4EWdU1KFMpctSU-8qhzcjxq4kyj6gscdvjOHA-6YrfnoGDy9JxhWQYe3Pv4K2L3yRTrhpldN4_6PNZK18m6qZIQGoPm9Ssg_J1-YWW3PMoqvkBF7w6cIj0YdFBJpFxxxefrSFm_jaiSqNunYJFZIfIMRLSycvOpqQwj04XOCm-w4OtiFe2ZUJy-QVQGRLdIaONrdmjvtPNWmfEuWdIPMPC2DX8auEMz-h3sg-JMQWIdlp5ReXdH9xPZ99a-nHM4rUA3N_lQqTUfiIuKkOaPvVIJEilugp1V8Dny7PQ9oWgRROhaGgismA5pYbWQzAAAAAAA=

Level 90+ luxuries include the Totemic Zeal and Shamanistic Fury clusters, the extraneous Mana+Flasks node, the Templar start Elemental Damage + Mana node, and Retribution. I'll cut the 2 dexterity nodes if I can get it on gear (unlikely).

Gem links would be:

Staff - Scorching Ray, Spell Totem, Increased Burning Damage, Efficacy, Controlled Destruction, Empower(Faster Casting/Elemental Focus)
Straight-up scorcha totems, nothing special. Ideal setup produces level 28 Scorching Ray, which is about double the more easily available level 22.

Chest - CWDT-1, Orb of Storms-10, Ball Lightning, Culling Strike, Onslaught, GMP/Faster/AoE
Spamming hits for generating buffs and Endurance Charges through Romira's and Conviction of Power. Don't know which support is better in the 6th link, I'm not projecting too much of an investment in it

4Ls:

Leap Slam - Fortify - Faster Attacks - Culling Strike (quality)
Standard mobility+Fortify setup in the absence of a shield

Rallying Cry, Stone Golem, Increased AoE, Arcane Surge-9 (10 if level 21+ Golem)
Support setup. The Stone Golem and Hierophant taunt to tank for the totems and each other. To quote Monty Python, "let us taunt it: it may become so cross that it will make a mistake."
Hope it works better than it did for them though!

CWDT-1, Imoortal Call-3, Increased Duration, Enfeeble-5
OR
CWDT-19/20, Immortal Call-20/21 (too high for CWDT), Increased Duration, Enfeeble-19/20
This is the setup that's meant to allow me to condense the tree and not go fishing inefficiently for Endurance Charges and Soul of Steel. The idea is to sustain Immortal Call at just about all times with a duration in excess of its 3 second cooldown.

With my tree and a level 19 Increased Duration, this requires level 9-10 Immortal Call (9 is over 2.99s, and 3 or greater with better Increased Duration), but the 5th Endurance Charge puts it over 3 by itself.

Final gear would be as follows:
Items

Rare helmet, amulet, gloves and belt
Ideally with an Endurance Charge corruption on the belt

Searing Touch or a +3 Rare Staff

Belly, Kingsguard or a rare chest if needed for resists
Kaom's Heart is a distant possibility if I manage to condense the hit-generating setup into the others well enough.

Romira's Banquet
This ring, combined with Conviction of Power, gives my non-critical hits a 25% chance to generate an endurance charge without needing to kill, get hit myself, or stun, which is ideal vs bosses and in my opinion the best endurance charge generation mechanic in the game.
This combo is why Hierophant is my favourite ascendancy - and if Romira's doesn't give life and resists, it at least gives mana.

Dream Fragments or Praxis or a rare Coral or Paua Ring
Obviously DF is not worn with Kaom's Roots - see below

Rare boots or Death's Door
Kaom's Roots are worth noting if I can spare the sockets, resists and bleed immunity, and the extra endurance charge off the belt is enough to sustain my Immortal Call
Flasks

Witchfire Brew

Magic Amethyst flask

Magic Quicksilver flask

Other 2 flasks as needed
Jewels

Spire of Stone (near Devotion, 80 str in range)

2 Spirited Response

Fertile Mind

Survival Instinct -> rare jewel
One of these corrupted for Silence immunity

I'm projecting about 7.5K life+mana at level 90 with Kingsguard and Death's Door, and hoping for a lot more if I manage to put together really good rares with life+mana everywhere I can and maybe even str/int suffixes.

This build would pretty much be good to go with a 5L +2 fire rare staff, a 5L chest and fair rares with enough resists, though with lots of room for improvement later. There are no enabling uniques, not even Romira's and Spire of Stone are strictly necessary at first, though the build's defensive power rests on them.

My concern is that the condensed tree lacks all access to the lower left of the tree, which is where all the juicy defensive stuff is found (and even Mana for MoM in the duellist area), and I'd like some opinions of whether this tree, with the semi-permanent Immortal Call and less ideal stun and freeze resistance options, stands a chance of matching the survivability of my old version with all endurance charges, Soul of Steel, Chaos Golem and easy access to Unwavering Stance if I wanted to swap out of Kaom's Roots (which the old version wore).
Last edited by rottenvenetic on Nov 27, 2017, 5:41:54 AM
Last bumped on Nov 27, 2017, 5:19:14 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info