Scourge Claw mechanic - "on hit"

The scourge claw states it will increase minion damage by 70% if you have hit recently. For this to work, does the skill gem that you are using have to be in the claw itself? Also, does hit apply to both attack and spell skills? If culling strike is on the claw, does that require the skill gem to be in the claw to activate?
Last bumped on Nov 24, 2017, 12:28:36 PM
You can hit with anything, the skill can be socketed anywhere and there's no special interaction with culling strike.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
On hit = anything spells and attacks although I think DoTs are not counted as hits.
On attack = weapon based attacks only

"
Kavlor wrote:
On hit = anything spells and attacks although I think DoTs are not counted as hits.
On attack = weapon based attacks only

On hit is a little more complicated than that: Scorching Ray, for example, doesn't actually "hit" anything, it just causes them to have a degen effect that takes away health. So, yeah, no dots, and a few spells don't actually hit, but most of them do.
"
SlippyCheeze wrote:
"
Kavlor wrote:
On hit is a little more complicated than that: Scorching Ray, for example, doesn't actually "hit" anything, it just causes them to have a degen effect that takes away health. So, yeah, no dots, and a few spells don't actually hit, but most of them do.

That's exactly what Kavlor said though; all Spells and Attacks that are not DoT *shrug*
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"
SlippyCheeze wrote:
"
Kavlor wrote:

That's exactly what Kavlor said though; all Spells and Attacks that are not DoT *shrug*

I don't know about you, but when I first started I had literally no idea that "Scorching Ray", a spell that sent a beam of fire from my hand to the enemy, was ONLY a DoT, and that it couldn't trigger "on hit" effects.

You are not wrong (and neither was Kavlor), and perhaps I should have been more explicit about that?
"
TheGilliom wrote:
The scourge claw states it will increase minion damage by 70% if you have hit recently. For this to work, does the skill gem that you are using have to be in the claw itself?

Nope. Any hit will do, so long as the hit is from a skill that you yourself used.

"
TheGilliom wrote:
Also, does hit apply to both attack and spell skills?

Yes. A "hit" is any single, discrete packet of damage, i.e. anything that is not a DoT effect such as Scorching Ray's debuff. Spell or attack, does not matter.

"
TheGilliom wrote:
If culling strike is on the claw, does that require the skill gem to be in the claw to activate?

Nope. 'Culling Strike' corruption (I'm assuming?) means the Culling Strike property is inherent to the claw. Any attack made using the claw, regardless of where the attack is linked on your gear, will have the Culling Strike property.

Also you lucky schmuck, a Culling Strike Scourge sounds friggin' awesome.

EDIT:: Note that the Culling Strike on your Scourge will not work with spells, even if the spell is socketed in the claw. Because the corrupted CS prefix is inherent to the claw, it only affects skills which incorporate the claw's stats, i.e. attack skills (that do not exclude claws). So a Whirling Blades, for example, would carrying Culling Strike, as would Blade Flurry, but not Blade Vortex, Fireball, or Earthquake if you were set up to use one of those for some reason.
Last edited by 1453R on Nov 24, 2017, 11:22:50 AM
"
SlippyCheeze wrote:
I don't know about you, but when I first started I had literally no idea that "Scorching Ray", a spell that sent a beam of fire from my hand to the enemy, was ONLY a DoT, and that it couldn't trigger "on hit" effects.

Ray's description explicitly states that it only deals Fire Damage per Second, which can only ever be Damage over Time; there is no flat Fire Damage value in the description. So as for me, it was very obviously Damage over Time, yes :/
Last edited by Vipermagi on Nov 24, 2017, 12:29:22 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info