ALL HAIL PRESIDENT TRUMP

They are against all Federalist society nominees which is mainly what Trump nominates for Federal court. Meaning guys who obey Constitution. They want Milquetoast conservatives like Souter. i.e. liberals/RINOs

Trump has only got 51% of his nominees through compared to 75%+ for previous presidents.

Trump is actually most conservative on Judges in a couple generations. (since Reagan and maybe moreso)

If I have to give it odds I say only 40% chance he's confirmed. Remember we have lots of RINOs in senate. Flake, McCain, Collins etc.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jul 10, 2018, 1:07:06 AM
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
If I have to give it odds I say only 40% chance he's confirmed. Remember we have lots of RINOs in senate. Flake, McCain, Collins etc.
Jeff Flake
"
As I have said before, approving a nominee who will interpret the Constitution rather than legislate from the bench should be our top priority. I look forward to meeting with Judge Kavanaugh and reviewing his record throughout the confirmation process.

John McCain
"
In selecting Judge Brett Kavanaugh to fill the vacancy left by Justice Kennedy, President Trump has chosen a nominee with impeccable credentials and a strong record of upholding the Constitution. Over the course of Judge Kavanaugh's impressive legal career, he has built a reputation as a fair, independent, and mainstream judge who has earned widespread respect from his peers.

Susan Collins
"
Judge Kavanaugh has impressive credentials and extensive experience, having served more than a decade on the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals. I will conduct a careful, thorough vetting of the president’s nominee to the Supreme Court, as I have done with the five previous Supreme Court justices whom I have considered. I look forward to Judge Kavanaugh’s public hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee and to questioning him in a meeting in my office.
"Susan Collins is no maverick with GOP judicial nominees": http://archive.is/Y4TC3

You're too pessimistic. Odds look better than 40%.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jul 10, 2018, 9:03:12 AM
There's also Murkowski. And since McCain is chilling at home, one Republican is enough to block the nomination. But she voted for Gorsuch so I'm still optimistic.

For fun, here's a 3 minute video showing that college indoctrination is a hell of a drug. These are supposed to be highly educated critical thinkers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjKWXyznS9s
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
Last edited by Xavderion on Jul 10, 2018, 9:48:53 AM
The democrats can't stop the nomination.

Any of you thinking a few republicans like a cancer hospitalized mccain not being able to vote, can somehow stop the pick, aren't looking past the nose on your face.

Fact is this is an election year for many democrat senators etc, but especially senators, in peril, in republican states.

To deny this pick, they have to in the process shoot themselves in the foot, so there WILL be democrats voting for the pick.

It's just a matter of how many of them have half a brain to not shoot themselves in the foot on this issue.

Democrats have all these whining protests planned, all this screaming planned... but it won't stop the pick from getting through.

Just remind us why we don't want crybabies in power.

Thanks social justice warriors everywhere...

Trump will be president another 6.5 (or so) more years in small part thanks to the screaming and crying of certain adults.

We're politically smacking them around like ping pong balls, and it is very, very satisfying.

The presidency, the house, the senate, the supreme court... what's next ?

"
Xavderion wrote:
For fun, here's a 3 minute video showing that college indoctrination is a hell of a drug. These are supposed to be highly educated critical thinkers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjKWXyznS9s
That's what I acted like when I was a young man, like 15 years ago. I was a pathological liar; if I didn't know the answer to something, I'd just make up some bullshit and see if it came off as intelligent to whomever I was talking to.

When crafting my bullshit, I'd try to size up my mark. I'd try to determine things like their political affiliation Sherlock Holmes style just off clues from their appearance, albeit with lower accuracy than the fictional sleuth. Then I'd make a lie that I felt most people of that description would agree with.

What did I believe in back then in terms of politics? Not much. I was a liar and a thief and I got stoned pretty regularly. Technically Democrat, but mostly on drug war alone. I didn't really give a fuck; I was just trying to fit in, in my own stupid and cruel way.

So I'd take these videos with a grain of salt. It's very unlikely most of these bullshitters are diehard Democrats; what's more likely is that they don't really give a fuck, outside of thinking it's safer to assume their mark -- a young man in jeans and a T-shirt -- will be impressed with bordeline incoherent NeverTrump rhetoric than with borderline incoherent pro-Trump rhetoric. It's not "omg college Democrats are such misinformed liars," it's "college liars confirm hating on Trump is (still) politically correct."
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
vmt80 wrote:

What I genuinely don't understand is this attitude among many americans. This isn't a f'king football match, where we are trying to make goals and stop the opponent from making theirs. It's just blatantly ridiculous claims like 'Ronald Reagan was a leftist' that makes one wonder, what on earth is going on in the US these days.

Too many people have already "learned" from their childhood indoctrination or preferred news sources whether a given politician is "good" or "evil" and they then slurp up any information that fits the assessment whether it is factual or makes sense. Revisionism is tough to spot for people who aren't willing to dig and didn't live through a given news cycle.

Even those that take the time to look for good information are stymied by the fact that they can't magically go back and understand what a given era of history was like - with all the ramifications. As an example, 50 years from now, people will have only a slight idea of how much Trump is opposed at every angle.

"
vmt80 wrote:
Trump, then again, simply wasn't up to task and still isn't.

Keep watching, and the scorecard will show whether he succeeds or fails. I believe he is doing well given the amount of opposition and that he will continue to gain speed.

"
vmt80 wrote:
It's telling how many public relationship assistants his office has recycled already

That is more of a sign of how vociferous and mean spirited the opposition is. Their latest gamut - stalking employees and harassing them in restaurants - is a perfect example. This sort of bratty behavior is what turned so many people away from the DNC and towards Trump.

If the DNC doesn't come up with some plan other than to oppose Trump, they will be seriously wounded in the midterms. I expect late August and early September to be utterly brutal to the DNC politically.
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
Last edited by DalaiLama on Jul 10, 2018, 6:39:52 PM
"
vmt80 wrote:
It's just blatantly ridiculous claims like 'Ronald Reagan was a leftist' that makes one wonder, what on earth is going on in the US these days. In fact, reason of commenting on such ridiculous falsehood stems not from a need to win a victory at some metaphysical level but help people educate themselves and share viewpoints. It is not like there was no data or previous analyses about Reagan or Thatcher politics, which by large are considered a right-wing political phenomenon during the 80's.
It's coincidental that you bring this up because I just watched one of today's Jimmy Dore videos where he calls Obama a "moderate Republican" and Bill Clinton a "rightwinger." So it's not so much that America has shifted so far right that Reagan is considered leftwing, it's that some Americans are too comfortable redefining "the center" as just slightly less extreme than their own political views, so as to paint themselves as sensible moderates and and their opponents as crazed extremists. This comes from a particular clumsiness in handling the concept of the center by treating it as an average (median or mean) of the larger population, then assuming that most people think as one does.

Although this fails in part due to simple misunderstanding of where this average lies -- the popular vote in the 2016 US election was extremely close -- it also autofails when an entire country swings left or right, as the average naturally moves with the overall mass. That's why I use an absolute standard for the center, as follows:
* if you support government intervention that consistently benefits those who have performed best according to some metric in the past, or that is detrimental to those who have performed worst according to that metric in the past -- for instance, saying that nonwhite races have lower average IQs and advocating for a white ethnostate -- that is to the right.
* if you support government intervention that consistently benefits those who have performed worst according to some metric in the past, or that is detrimental to those who have performed best according to that metric in the past -- for instance, taxing the rich to give government assistance to the poor -- that is to the left.
* if you support government intervention that on the whole is perfectly balanced between those two aims, or if you oppose any form of government intervention whatsoever, then that is perfectly in the political center. Libertarianism is by this definition extremely centrist, and since I'm pretty darn libertarian I'm pretty darn centrist. (Aim_Deep and I might argue about that.)

By these absolute terms, the US is very much a left-of-center country. The Overton Window is such that libertarians and even anarchists -- who want no government whatsoever -- are often seen as rightwing. It's possible for a pseudocommunist like Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez to get nominated to Congress; it's unthinkable that an openly white-supremacist candidate could. The actual hard right barely exists in this world, and even then mostly as a 4chan meme. There's virtually no one arguing who government should subsidize -- the answer is pretty uniformly that it should help those who, for whatever reason, have previously failed to help themselves. Instead the only debate seems to be: how much should government help them? Some, a lot, or not at all?
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jul 10, 2018, 9:17:33 PM
"
vmt80 wrote:
"
Xavderion wrote:
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:
Salt among the left is overflowing. Already talks about how Kavanaugh was actually Vladimir Putin's pick. Yummy yummy for my tummy.

They hate him on my favorite lefty forum, but they don't yet know why (Media Matters talking points aren't out yet I guess). For now they settled for "well Trump nominated him so he must be a piece of shit!!!". Very funny.

What I genuinely don't understand is this attitude among many americans. This isn't a f'king football match, where we are trying to make goals and stop the opponent from making theirs. It's just blatantly ridiculous claims like 'Ronald Reagan was a leftist' that makes one wonder, what on earth is going on in the US these days. In fact, reason of commenting on such ridiculous falsehood stems not from a need to win a victory at some metaphysical level but help people educate themselves and share viewpoints. It is not like there was no data or previous analyses about Reagan or Thatcher politics, which by large are considered a right-wing political phenomenon during the 80's. Secondly my reference to a football game meant, that many people abroad including me are worried about american people. They have a shitload of military power and no sustainable political viewpoint to future, be it economical or more importantly, ecological stance. Things are slowly deteriorating. That's not leadership, even if US for long was considered to be the leader of the western civilization.

You see, it's not a zero-sum game. If americans are lost, so are we. It's absolutely disgusting how people adopt some tribal viewpoint of how 'they must be so pissed off, seeing us thrive'. And this is coming from someone who technically is an outsider, just making perceptions how american politics is deeply dysfunct, resembling a two-party-war (it is as if the cold war had become internalized into a cold civil war). Don't you see how detrimental such state of affairs is to your country?

Considering what has been written after my comments, I'm pretty sceptical there are even basic preconditions for a civilized debate or mutual growth of knowledge. First, we don't even have a common language to operate with -what many here call as 'leftism' is nothing of the sort. It's a false dichotomy from the start to call democrats a leftist party and republicans a rightist one in the sense, neither one is really a leftist party. Of course if you take a radical stance, everything differing from it seems radically wrong. For example, to me anti-abortion people are simply crackpots, since for me womans right to control her own body is a given. There's no middle ground there really, that's why I have a defined meaning of 'radical politics' coalesced in mind. What's more, in my country that one is considered to be a mainstream view, so I can happily use it to define 'radical politics'. In such view, even if there were millions of americans against abortion rights, it's still a fringe view for a scandinavian outsider. And that's what makes me also worried: seeing a lot of fringe views such as 'Reagan was a leftist', 'Hitler was a leftist' or 'abortion is murder'. I don't think we are up to a debate here.

Oh, by the way -while watching the drama unfold during american presidential election, it became impossible for me to hope either one's nomination. Clinton for sure was no leftist but a corporate puppet. Trump, then again, simply wasn't up to task and still isn't. It's telling how many public relationship assistants his office has recycled already (that for sure is a job I wouldn't envy anyone taking). Oh, and 'being a corporate puppet' certainly is no sign of leftism in any meaningful form.

We are not even that divided. So ridiculous when people think this. Go back to the 1960s when 100 cities were on fire. Or when congress people used to shoot each other. Or actual civil war which killed like a todays equivalent of 10 million.

Whats gonna kill us is debt and you too across pond.

Excuse conservatives for wanting caution so we dont get to point interest are more than tax receipts so we cant have anything. Think of the children and grand children.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jul 10, 2018, 10:41:54 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
Jeff Flake
"
As I have said before, approving a nominee who will interpret the Constitution rather than legislate from the bench should be our top priority. I look forward to meeting with Judge Kavanaugh and reviewing his record throughout the confirmation process.

John McCain
"
In selecting Judge Brett Kavanaugh to fill the vacancy left by Justice Kennedy, President Trump has chosen a nominee with impeccable credentials and a strong record of upholding the Constitution. Over the course of Judge Kavanaugh's impressive legal career, he has built a reputation as a fair, independent, and mainstream judge who has earned widespread respect from his peers.

Susan Collins
"
Judge Kavanaugh has impressive credentials and extensive experience, having served more than a decade on the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals. I will conduct a careful, thorough vetting of the president’s nominee to the Supreme Court, as I have done with the five previous Supreme Court justices whom I have considered. I look forward to Judge Kavanaugh’s public hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee and to questioning him in a meeting in my office.
"Susan Collins is no maverick with GOP judicial nominees": http://archive.is/Y4TC3

You're too pessimistic. Odds look better than 40%.

Nice research Scottie. I hope yer right.
Git R Dun!
Spoiler
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info