Goodbye POE - nonsense game by design?

"
Sa_Re wrote:
"
Turtledove wrote:
If you don't like that example. Then how about the pitiful loathsome Trial of Burning Rage? Wait for the floor to cool, run over and flip a lever, wait for the floor to cool, run back to where you started, wait for the floor to cool run over to see if the damn door is open, nope, wait for the floor to cool, run over to the next lever, wait for floor to cool, while wishing that you were playing about any other game in the world besides this labyrinth monstrosity, run back to the door again and go through the door. Rinse and repeat ad nausea um assuming you have any desire to continue playing this piece of loathsome crap that insults and belittles GGG's otherwise good name.

That's how you play until you realize that the degen is pretty low so that many builds can just leapslam or even run through it. The endless enemy spawns are there to leech your life back if needed.

Of course there are builds that can totally ignore the traps. Sorry it wasn't obvious that I was not assuming that kind of build.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
"
Turtledove wrote:
"
Antaiseito wrote:
~

Zone out? So what is the correct move in this situation? Wait until the spike traps pop up so you know you can "safely" click on the lever after they go down or use blink arrow to move 2 steps? Note, if you answer yes to these possible alternatives then I will have to thank you in advance for verifying that it is a stupid design.

Hold down the mouse button near your character to walk up to the spike trap. If the trap would hit you, stop holding mouse button -> stop walking. When it's safe to cross(or while trap is up and you can't walk on it) start pressing mouse button near your character (so it does not take funny detours) to walk across the trap. Activate the lever when the path between you and the lever is safe.
Alternatively whirl/leap/blink across the trap when it's down.

Where's the stupid design in this case? All i'm reading is that people can't cope because they're used to a non-fitting control scheme.

There are alraedy a load of good answers for the Burning Rage, but yeah, do what makes you find levers/cross those gaps as fast as possible while surviving.

I like this viewpoint, get faster through creativity with good movement, skill setups and timing:
"
CidAvadose wrote:

In the case of the Labyrinth finding the right mix of knowing when to take in slow, when your build allows you to speed through.

Just as in Boss fights knowing when you have to dodge and concentrate on staying alive or tank away deal damage until you have to pull out to heal and dodge.
"
Antaiseito wrote:
"
Turtledove wrote:
"
Antaiseito wrote:
~

Zone out? So what is the correct move in this situation? Wait until the spike traps pop up so you know you can "safely" click on the lever after they go down or use blink arrow to move 2 steps? Note, if you answer yes to these possible alternatives then I will have to thank you in advance for verifying that it is a stupid design.

Hold down the mouse button near your character to walk up to the spike trap. If the trap would hit you, stop holding mouse button -> stop walking. When it's safe to cross(or while trap is up and you can't walk on it) start pressing mouse button near your character (so it does not take funny detours) to walk across the trap. Activate the lever when the path between you and the lever is safe.
Alternatively whirl/leap/blink across the trap when it's down.

Where's the stupid design in this case? All i'm reading is that people can't cope because they're used to a non-fitting control scheme.

There are alraedy a load of good answers for the Burning Rage, but yeah, do what makes you find levers/cross those gaps as fast as possible while surviving.

I like this viewpoint, get faster through creativity with good movement, skill setups and timing:
"
CidAvadose wrote:

In the case of the Labyrinth finding the right mix of knowing when to take in slow, when your build allows you to speed through.

Just as in Boss fights knowing when you have to dodge and concentrate on staying alive or tank away deal damage until you have to pull out to heal and dodge.

A reasonable and helpful response that shows you have understanding and knowledge. What a refreshing change of pace. Instead of the typical just making up stuff like don't "zone out". :-) I'll use your technique more often in the loathsome labyrinth, thanks.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
"
Turtledove wrote:
"
Sa_Re wrote:
"
Turtledove wrote:
If you don't like that example. Then how about the pitiful loathsome Trial of Burning Rage? Wait for the floor to cool, run over and flip a lever, wait for the floor to cool, run back to where you started, wait for the floor to cool run over to see if the damn door is open, nope, wait for the floor to cool, run over to the next lever, wait for floor to cool, while wishing that you were playing about any other game in the world besides this labyrinth monstrosity, run back to the door again and go through the door. Rinse and repeat ad nausea um assuming you have any desire to continue playing this piece of loathsome crap that insults and belittles GGG's otherwise good name.

That's how you play until you realize that the degen is pretty low so that many builds can just leapslam or even run through it. The endless enemy spawns are there to leech your life back if needed.

Of course there are builds that can totally ignore the traps. Sorry it wasn't obvious that I was not assuming that kind of build.

"That kind of builds" equals all builds with a bit of life regen (and leech if the regen is low). So basically every build that does not use VP or CI.

Sorry for that edgy response, I took the other extreme. Antaiseito and CidAvadose described the situation better and nicer.

I post this way in lab threads because mindsets like yours are responsible for all the banal easy games nowadays where hard mode is the easy mode of the 90s. Lab is one of the few areas in PoE where it lets you figure out how far you can push it with different builds, risk vs. reward (=faster run). I'm a bit sad that older gamers like you don't appreciate it. We grew up with awesome games that often had some not so pleasant or very hard areas in them. They were finished, we couldn't complain at a forum to change it. So we had two options, either "I need to get good at that shit. I'll show ya, game." or "maybe I can cheese my way through somehow, let's try this and that".

"
Turtledove wrote:
A reasonable and helpful response that shows you have understanding and knowledge. What a refreshing change of pace. Instead of the typical just making up stuff like don't "zone out". :-) I'll use your technique more often in the loathsome labyrinth, thanks.

This post tells me that you don't even try to figure it out but just complain that the controls are terrible for trap gameplay. You could have used all that time you took to post, make lists etc. to get enough lab knowledge to get over with it quickly with new chars. But no, you demand that a part of the game that took a lot of effort to create and that other people appreciate should be changed to a state where even lab lovers won't run the first three iterations anymore because there's no point/reward.
"
MasterTBC wrote:
The problem is that POE has no real endgame activity except of trading

Damn, what are all those people doing in SSF then, I wonder?
Carry on my waypoint son, there'll be peace when maps are done.
Lay your portal gem to rest, don't you die no more.

'Cause it's a bitter sweet symphony this league.
Try to make maps meet, you're a slave to the meta, then you leave.
"
Sa_Re wrote:

This post tells me that you don't even try to figure it out but just complain that the controls are terrible for trap gameplay. You could have used all that time you took to post, make lists etc. to get enough lab knowledge to get over with it quickly with new chars. But no, you demand that a part of the game that took a lot of effort to create and that other people appreciate should be changed to a state where even lab lovers won't run the first three iterations anymore because there's no point/reward.

Yep, he was told the exact same thing about a year ago but because it came from people he "doesn't respect" it was neither reasonable nor helpful for him.

You're better off just ignoring that one. :)
Just a lowly standard player. May RNGesus be with you.
"
Sa_Re wrote:

Sorry, most of what you just said is only tangentially related to reality. What the post is explaining is the thread theme which is that "Nonsense Game by Design" at least the OP's labyrinth part of that.

"
2) Mandatory labirynth with traps. Traps in isometric, mouse controlled movement game? Srsly? So can be, but not mandatory.

Just because the piece of crap labyrinth took a lot of effort to create doesn't mean I have to appreciate the fact that GGG created a piece of crap and messed up an otherwise great game. Their biggest error was making it mandatory. An area involving new game play that is unlike any other game play in the game would be interesting and good for people that like that kind of game play if it was optional. Labyrinth is not optional. GGG should keep labyrinth exactly as it currently was as far as I'm concerned. My personal desire would be for the ascendancy points to be deleted or made available elsewhere. There are many proposals how that might be done.
SET FREE THE ASCENDANCY POINTS (or rework the lab) [New ascension methods/lab rework ideas]
To the original poster.

Most of the situations you are talking about are your decisions to tackle content before your character is ready, either in levels(tree points) or in gear. The choice is yours to push ahead or to gear up/level up.

Most of the time if you are getting one shot it's just you don't have enough HP and would have to play the perfect game to not insta die.

Pro tip: If you enter a zone that a party is playing don't move until you see if you are safe. You can't be killed if the grace period is active.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
100% Ethical, most of the time.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"
Turtledove wrote:

Sorry, most of what you just said is only tangentially related to reality.

* YOUR reality. ;)

"
Shovelcut wrote:

You're better off just ignoring that one. :)

Good advice. ;)

If my english was better and/or moderation less strict I'd voice my opinion a bit different. But I'm just having fun and have a bit time to kill here and there. PoE is not the center of my life, it's just a game. I don't take anything too serious, the forums, patch notes etc.
Last edited by Sa_Re on Nov 22, 2017, 12:02:45 AM
"
Sa_Re wrote:
"
Turtledove wrote:

Sorry, most of what you just said is only tangentially related to reality.

* YOUR reality. ;)

ABSOLUTELY, since I'm discussing my opinion and experiences and you are incorrectly projecting your guesses into my own opinions and experiences, it is obvious that it is the reality that I know well and you only guess at incorrectly.
Last edited by Turtledove on Nov 22, 2017, 1:05:14 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info