[3.0] Ice Shot Raider - Need Help

First of all, I am not sure if this is the correct forum, but I need help with my build (standard harbinger league).
The clear speed in tier 10 maps is still fine, but I struggel with the map bosses (I have the feeling I do too little damage and they can easily kill me). Also burst damage is a problem, sometimes I run around a corner and get bursted away in under 1 second.

This is my first (serious) selfmade build, normally I play premades and in hardcore.

Here is the my current skill tree:
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/3.0.2/AAAABAIBAQBeAdEEsQW1BiMILhEvEYES8RR1GNsZjhn-GwEbrSFgIXYi6iPTI_YknST9KaUqCyo4KwotTS9yMHwzkjY9N9Q51D7PQxNDMUSeR35NklFHU7tW-luvXfJeRV9wYlpirGOnZU1rkGyMbmlvJ2_ycFJ08XXLd9d4-XsUft1_K4Gsg22GzorwjX2Nfo25jb-PYJLzmmqbJpuNnaqgn6fUqXmv67CrtMW1SLe2vTa95r6nv9XBM8LswzrEgsSiyMzTftX43Ubfb9-Y5GrnVOjW6UbrY-0_7YPuDu9674_66_1u_sg=?accountName=daishi085&characterName=Arrrrrrrtemis

Gear + Gems:
Spoiler

I currently play around, with the fifth gem of Ice Shot. I am not sure, if I like Ice Bite, Added Cold Damage or Hypothermia best.

Also I am not sure if I should try to 5 (or 6 link) my chest armor, or if I just buy a new one.

Attack stats in Hideout (with Hatred)
Ice Shot: ~18.900 dps
Barrage: ~8100 dps
Hit chance: 100%
Crit chance: 26,7%
Crit Multi: 242%

Def stats in Hideout
Life: 3.426
Mana: 1.164 (873 reserved)
ES: 31
Fire Res: 75% (94%)
Cold Res: 76% (110%)
Light Res: 75% (84%)
Chaos Res: -46%

A few infos about my play style:
In maps, I just activate Blood Rage and as soon as I have killed the first few mobs I can burst everything away from a distance (blood rage + onslaught + frence charges + power chargess). Thanks to phasing, I can easily escape if some mobs get too close. No problem there, just burst is a problem, but that happens not that often.
Against bosses I use Ice shot without GMP, Barrage is only used to finish them off. I use Decoy Totems and place Frost Bombs next to them to increase my damage. Still I take ages to kill them (many because I can't trigger my buffs). And I always need to run around to avoid getting hit, because most bosses can kill me in 2-3 hits.

My questions:
How can I optimise my skill tree?
What should I change at my gear? I already looked around, but most items which are better cost quite a lot (I only have 60 chaos).
Should I use a different gem setup?
Last bumped on Nov 23, 2017, 10:50:02 AM
first since your not ssf i would buy a 5l or 6l chest to get started you could consider a 6l eva/arm hybrid chest there pretty cheap prob 45c for ilvl 80+. A higher lvl essence of greed is a good way to craft it.
You need more resists on gear, and then spec more life respeccing the res/evasion nodes youve taken. Im also not to sure about iron reflexes. One problem with rangers is they cant get that much life and one shots do happen (unless they head to scion wheel). (I died to a reflect one shot from ice shot at 4,3k life yesterday really annoying).
I would look at a few other ranger builds, the windripper builds are good and octavions deadeye is good for levelling but not really a boss killer.
You can inspect my Pathfinder. Made it all the way to lvl 100 with a fairly similar setup. Personally I prefer Pathfinder with Cold Conversion builds and Raider with non-conversion builds (Typically Windripper instead of Lioneye's Glare) but it's not a big deal. Take a look and copy paste whatever you would like to steal from my setup =)

Please open up your profile so we can inspect your character. Even though you think you have given us all the information we need to give you some feedback there is a lot of information missing. So please open it up =)

With that being said: There is a lot of things to improve on.

Your passive tree is not very good. There is plenty of room for heavy optimization.
Your items are not that good either. To me it seems like you focus on the wrong stats in the wrong item slots.
Your gem choices are not so good either. Plenty of room for optimization.
You severely lack life and defenses. A Glass canon has 5.000 hit life in level 90. You are lvl 86 and way off that standard.

Passive tree:
I will not go over why you respec like this :( Sorry but it's too long a post. Just do it :P
You should respecc into this: http://poeurl.com/bBQN (including changing your Ascendancy Points. Also you should make it a top priority to get Avatar of the Veil as fast as possible).

Itemization:
This is a standard ruleset for which stats you want to make a priority in each item slot for a standard bow character (which this is). Some builds of course make changes so take this as a rule of thumb list:

Offensive Items: Bow, Quiver, Amulet
Defensive Items: Boots, Belt, Chest
Build specific = Rings, Gloves, Jewel, Helmet (usually a unique helmet)

Offensive Items Slots:
Bow = Offensive item (Attack speed is the most important roll for your character. Not physical %)
Quiver = High life and offensive stats. Least important offensive stats on a quiver are flat physical / elemental damage and increased crit chance. Avoid resistance suffixes on your quiver if possible.
Amulet = Life, Attributes and offensive stats. Try to get some STR / INT or high all attributes on your amulet. Get life (or room for 44 Elreon Enchant). However the most important stats are two of the following three: Crit multiplier, Elemental Damage with Attack Skills, High Flat physical Damage, High Flat Elemental Damage (in your case it has to be cold).
Also an amulet with decent life is much better if it leaves room for other Elreon Enchants (usually crit chance or flat elemental damage - in your case cold). Avoid resistance suffixes on your amulet if possible.

Defensive Item Slots:
Boots = Movement speed + Life as top priorities. Beyond that as high resistance as possible.
Belt = Rustic OR Leather OR Heavy as base type. Heavy is often much cheaper than rustic or leather belt and as such you can often make a much better deal and get more "bang for the buck".
Top priority = Life and elemental resistance. If you have room for Elemental Damage with Attack Skills enchant (max 22%) good. If not - you can live with it until you can make an upgrade. IF you have enough resistance from other sources (passives, rings, jewels) you can make Life + Elemental Damage% your top priority.
Chest = Typically try to get a 6L rare and spam it for high life, resistance and possibly evasion OR get Belly of the Beast OR Queen of the Forest (specifically for Queen of the Forest builds (I would not recommend this item to your build).

Build Specific Item Slots (or filler slots):
Helmet = Usually it's a Unique. Either Devoto's, Starkonja or Rat's Nest. Starkonja's is the most defensive option of the 3. Rat's Nest is the most offensive and Devoto's has the highest movement speed bonus.

Gloves, Rings and Jewels: Include these into the type of items. On these items you want life on all of them (Increased maximum life on jewels or Southbound). Besides that first and foremost you want to fill in the gaps the rest of your gear left you with. Do you need resistances? Get that on your jewels and rings. Do you need INT / STR to wear your gems / gear? Then get it on your rings. When this is done see to other offensive stats (usually accuracy, attack speed and relevant offensive stats on your jewels. Accuracy does not matter with Lioneye's Glare).

This should be your guideline for gearing.

Gems:
I will return to this thread once you have opened up your profile to give some advice on gem setups =) I need to see your flask setup and jewel setup to see which gems are best for your setup. However I can tell you already that Ice Bite is not a good choice unless you have a very high amount of frenzy charges. Lack of Vaal Grace / Haste is also not a good thing and blood rage is not really needed on a Raider.

Edit: Allright. Took at look again with gems:
Flask setup:
I would strongly encourage you get you this flask setup:
1 x healing flask with bleed removal. If instant go for Divine. If not instant for eternal. Personal preference is up to you.
1 x Quicksilver with extra speed (as fast as possible) and either increased effect+reduced duration or increased duration (other combinations are okay as well. The increased speed is the most important part).
1 x Diamond Flask with Freeze Immunity and Duration.
1 x The Wise Oak with as high penetration as possible. For this flask to work you will need your uncapped cold resistance to your highest resistance.
1 x Atziri's Promise OR Silver Flask with Curse Immunity OR Basalt Flask with Curse Immunity. Atziri's Promise = Damage, leech and chaos resistance. Silver Flask = Clear Speed. Basalt Flask = Physical damage reduction. Really good if you struggle a bit against high spikes of damage.

Later on when you have better gear replace wise oak the 5th flask spot with Taste of Hate and Dying Sun. Also when you gain your last two Ascendancy points replace freeze immunity on flask with either curse immunity or bleed immunity.

Gems:
First take a look at my 4L setups. It's fairly standard. If you like Frost Bomb a lot I suggest you add in the one of the two 4L setups with increased duration and move one of the gems (Blink Arrow or Ice Golem) into an empty non-linked slot in your chest.

Second : Get a 5L single target barrage (or blast rain). It's shouldn't be hard to spam your chest a bit with jewelers and fusings to get 6 sockets and a 5L.

Ice Shot Links:
Ice Shot - GMP - Ice Bite - Elemental Damage with Attacks. 5th LINK. For damage go for Hypothermia. However since you are using Southbound I would suggest Increased Critical Strikes IF you have trouble killing trash mobs fast (crits freezes which ensures you can actually kill the packs). Now bear in mind it's not a good thing if you 3-shot each pack. You aim for 1-shotting almost every pack out there. Else you should remove Southbound as an item alltogether. I suggest ICS for now.

Barrage - Ice Bite - GMP - Elemental Damage with Attacks - Hypothermia (technically added cold damage is a bit better than hypothermia but I assume you will quickly improve your rings / amulet with some gear that includes higher flat added cold from elreon enchants. When you have done this Hypothermia becomes better).
Last edited by Frankenberry on Nov 5, 2017, 5:48:03 PM
WOW thank you so much for this in depth feedback. I'll probably need some time to do them all, but alone by reading them I learned a lot.

If you have the time, I would have a few more questions, to understand the whole thing better :)

You removed Iron Reflexes and took Acrobatis, why? I had it before but removed it, because in boss fights I had the problem that when I got hit I was dead, because nothing reduced the damage.
I also noticed you removed some evasion / armor nodes and took more life. I thought, it would be better to reduce the damage I get, instead of increasing my life pool.
You took Heart of Oak, which I found rather bad. On the other hand you removed the 3 Aspects, which I found rather good.

You also said that attack speed is the most important roll. My logic was, since I can't stand long on one spot, it's better to hit hard with the with hits I have instead of trying to get another one out.

Thanks again for all the help, and sorry that the character wasn't unlocked, I thought that it is by default.
"
Frankenberry wrote:

Passive tree:
I will not go over why you respec like this :( Sorry but it's too long a post. Just do it :P
You should respecc into this: http://poeurl.com/bBQN (including changing your Ascendancy Points. Also you should make it a top priority to get Avatar of the Veil as fast as possible).

Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/3.0.0/AAAABAIBAQBeBS0FtQguDPINjQ-rEYEUdRa_FyYZjiF2Iuoj0yP2JIsknST9JpUqOC5TMHwx-jIBN9Q51D7PQdBDMUd-Sn1M_02STipRR1O7VUtaGluvX3Bh4mHrYlpirGOnZU1sjG8ncFJ07XXLdvd4-XpTeoR67311ft1_K4Gsg22ExYbOh3aJ04w2jX2Nfo25jb-PYJpqmyabjZu1naqgn6OKpcupebIZtMW9Nr3mvqe_1cEzwuzDM8M6yMzNmM960K3Tb9N-1CPawd1G32_kaudU6NbqYu0_7YPuDu9674_8xf1u_rr_3g==

Same number of points spent, but instead of taking the two 4% life nodes near Thick Skin, this one takes the two extra minor nodes up near Revenge of the Hunted, which each give 4% life AND 8% Evasion.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
"
Frankenberry wrote:
You can inspect my Pathfinder. Made it all the way to lvl 100 with a fairly similar setup. Personally I prefer Pathfinder with Cold Conversion builds and Raider with non-conversion builds (Typically Windripper instead of Lioneye's Glare) but it's not a big deal. Take a look and copy paste whatever you would like to steal from my setup =)

Please open up your profile so we can inspect your character. Even though you think you have given us all the information we need to give you some feedback there is a lot of information missing. So please open it up =)

With that being said: There is a lot of things to improve on.

Your passive tree is not very good. There is plenty of room for heavy optimization.
Your items are not that good either. To me it seems like you focus on the wrong stats in the wrong item slots.
Your gem choices are not so good either. Plenty of room for optimization.
You severely lack life and defenses. A Glass canon has 5.000 hit life in level 90. You are lvl 86 and way off that standard.

Passive tree:

Itemization:
This is a standard ruleset for which stats you want to make a priority in each item slot for a standard bow character (which this is). Some builds of course make changes so take this as a rule of thumb list:

Offensive Items: Bow, Quiver, Amulet
Defensive Items: Boots, Belt, Chest
Build specific = Rings, Gloves, Jewel, Helmet (usually a unique helmet)

Offensive Items Slots:
Bow = Offensive item (Attack speed is the most important roll for your character. Not physical %)
Quiver = High life and offensive stats. Least important offensive stats on a quiver are flat physical / elemental damage and increased crit chance. Avoid resistance suffixes on your quiver if possible.
Amulet = Life, Attributes and offensive stats. Try to get some STR / INT or high all attributes on your amulet. Get life (or room for 44 Elreon Enchant). However the most important stats are two of the following three: Crit multiplier, Elemental Damage with Attack Skills, High Flat physical Damage, High Flat Elemental Damage (in your case it has to be cold).
Also an amulet with decent life is much better if it leaves room for other Elreon Enchants (usually crit chance or flat elemental damage - in your case cold). Avoid resistance suffixes on your amulet if possible.

Defensive Item Slots:
Boots = Movement speed + Life as top priorities. Beyond that as high resistance as possible.
Belt = Rustic OR Leather OR Heavy as base type. Heavy is often much cheaper than rustic or leather belt and as such you can often make a much better deal and get more "bang for the buck".
Top priority = Life and elemental resistance. If you have room for Elemental Damage with Attack Skills enchant (max 22%) good. If not - you can live with it until you can make an upgrade. IF you have enough resistance from other sources (passives, rings, jewels) you can make Life + Elemental Damage% your top priority.
Chest = Typically try to get a 6L rare and spam it for high life, resistance and possibly evasion OR get Belly of the Beast OR Queen of the Forest (specifically for Queen of the Forest builds (I would not recommend this item to your build).

Build Specific Item Slots (or filler slots):
Helmet = Usually it's a Unique. Either Devoto's, Starkonja or Rat's Nest. Starkonja's is the most defensive option of the 3. Rat's Nest is the most offensive and Devoto's has the highest movement speed bonus.

Gloves, Rings and Jewels: Include these into the type of items. On these items you want life on all of them (Increased maximum life on jewels or Southbound). Besides that first and foremost you want to fill in the gaps the rest of your gear left you with. Do you need resistances? Get that on your jewels and rings. Do you need INT / STR to wear your gems / gear? Then get it on your rings. When this is done see to other offensive stats (usually accuracy, attack speed and relevant offensive stats on your jewels. Accuracy does not matter with Lioneye's Glare).

This should be your guideline for gearing.

Gems:
I will return to this thread once you have opened up your profile to give some advice on gem setups =) I need to see your flask setup and jewel setup to see which gems are best for your setup. However I can tell you already that Ice Bite is not a good choice unless you have a very high amount of frenzy charges. Lack of Vaal Grace / Haste is also not a good thing and blood rage is not really needed on a Raider.

Edit: Allright. Took at look again with gems:
Flask setup:
I would strongly encourage you get you this flask setup:
1 x healing flask with bleed removal. If instant go for Divine. If not instant for eternal. Personal preference is up to you.
1 x Quicksilver with extra speed (as fast as possible) and either increased effect+reduced duration or increased duration (other combinations are okay as well. The increased speed is the most important part).
1 x Diamond Flask with Freeze Immunity and Duration.
1 x The Wise Oak with as high penetration as possible. For this flask to work you will need your uncapped cold resistance to your highest resistance.
1 x Atziri's Promise OR Silver Flask with Curse Immunity OR Basalt Flask with Curse Immunity. Atziri's Promise = Damage, leech and chaos resistance. Silver Flask = Clear Speed. Basalt Flask = Physical damage reduction. Really good if you struggle a bit against high spikes of damage.

Later on when you have better gear replace wise oak the 5th flask spot with Taste of Hate and Dying Sun. Also when you gain your last two Ascendancy points replace freeze immunity on flask with either curse immunity or bleed immunity.

Gems:
First take a look at my 4L setups. It's fairly standard. If you like Frost Bomb a lot I suggest you add in the one of the two 4L setups with increased duration and move one of the gems (Blink Arrow or Ice Golem) into an empty non-linked slot in your chest.

Second : Get a 5L single target barrage (or blast rain). It's shouldn't be hard to spam your chest a bit with jewelers and fusings to get 6 sockets and a 5L.

Ice Shot Links:
Ice Shot - GMP - Ice Bite - Elemental Damage with Attacks. 5th LINK. For damage go for Hypothermia. However since you are using Southbound I would suggest Increased Critical Strikes IF you have trouble killing trash mobs fast (crits freezes which ensures you can actually kill the packs). Now bear in mind it's not a good thing if you 3-shot each pack. You aim for 1-shotting almost every pack out there. Else you should remove Southbound as an item alltogether. I suggest ICS for now.

Barrage - Ice Bite - GMP - Elemental Damage with Attacks - Hypothermia (technically added cold damage is a bit better than hypothermia but I assume you will quickly improve your rings / amulet with some gear that includes higher flat added cold from elreon enchants. When you have done this Hypothermia becomes better).

What about bandits?

What about bandits?

be smarter, come on. Think a bit.
"
iwonderwice wrote:

What about bandits?

be smarter, come on. Think a bit.

Thank you for your invaluable contribution to this thread.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info