[3.0] Avatar of Martyr - reliable scold build 1M+ DPS - deathless Shaper!

Hi everybody,
I'm proud to write this guide as I love this build so much.
Full credits of the build go to CrystallineDIVA, as he found the perfect equilibrium between scold, spells, self cast curse, items, and so on. I optimized some marginal stuffs of the build, converting the initial setup to full fire damage and a nice, strong, reliable Avatar of Martyr has finally born ;)

Disclaimer: this is not a cheap build. It can work without acuity but you will desire this pair of gloves for the rest of your life ;) as with acuity the build become much stronger and reliable.
Anyway, you can start without it and slowly farming it.

Pros

- You cast a marvellous group of spells all together, like any scold build!...
...but you will not suffer from motion sickness by flicker-style scold builds, and you will not fear to die at every cast ;)
- 1+ MILLION true DPS against anything, 6k+ hp, crit build with reliable instant leech: with so many spells, you always crit!
-Fast clear build. While not being the fastest, you are limit just by walking speed: walk,1 cast,loot the destroyed pack, walk, 1 cast, and so on.
- Can do ALL game content. Deathless Shaper at my 2nd attempt at Shaper ever, all guardians deathless beside chimera, Atziri,etc. All map mods viable beside no leech.
-Already told you how much satisfying is looking at all those visual effects? ;)

Cons

- expensive. This build truly shine when you have: acuity - THREE 6L - xoph blood amulet. Can be played with 2 5L and without acuity, but it will never shine like the full setup. I started from the budget version and slowly grinded until acuity ad 3 6L.
- your GPU will consume a lot of energy ;)

Let see the required uniques:
Required uniques

Core build unique. Wonderful design, even after the nerf: the more you spend mana, the more you self damage.

Very solid staff, nice block chance, nice effect on block, and very nice added fire damage!

Some Fevered minds jewels to increase mana cost.

Recommended uniques

What to say: incredible luxury items for several builds, it enable us to: 1) skip Vaal Pact 2) take MoM, become way tankier, and aenjoy an higher level Cwdt

2nd 6L item, to increase number of spells and damage, esp. useful against bosses :) Having onslaught on hit is almost a must: you will love it! I crafted it at 10th try with the use of essences.

3rd 6L item! Wonderful swap weapon for fast clearing, so you will have one setup for clearing projectile based, one setup for bossing firestorm based, and the universal aoe-based setup for anything.

Greatly increase damage of the build as we are going with avatar of fire route.

Build mechanics

Scold helm produce self phys damage based on how much mana you spend on cast. We get huge mana consuption by self casting curse with supports gems and 4-5 fevered mind jewels. We enjoy this self damage by self proccing 4 cwdt setups located on every piece of equip, avoiding to die by berserker savage 100% leech. The huge mana consumption is sustained by acuity or by 4 "%X damage taken as mana" items (budget version).
We have chosen to not going to Cwdt 18-20 lvl route. While can be enjoyable for some, life lost on a single cast is too strong to play relaxed, and the jewels requirement would be too high. Instead, you can start by using cwdt lvl 1 and slowly increasing its level when you increase your life points and you aquire the recommended items! I switched to this build at level 70, using cwdt level 3, and finally settled to CrystallineDIVA equilibrium: cwdt level 14! This setup only require 5 fevered minds jewels, and remove 2000 life at each cast, that with MoM is an actual 1330 dmg thanks to MoM; having 6k+ hp, your heart will not stop at any cast praying to not die ;) Plus, avoiding to reach all those extra jewels enable us to take a lot of nice nodes on the path.

Well, what spells are we gonna use on our cwdt setups? We tried a bunch of combinations, and we found that in order to maximize damage the best thing to do is:
. One Aoe setup on body armour based on ice spells, converted to full fire thanks to ColdtoFire and AoF.
. One Proj setup on one Martyr staffs, that clear everything even when using gmp.
. One bossing setup with firestorm, flame surge and inc. critical strikes, that ensure our instant leech.
. One auxiliar cwdt setup with the 2nd curse and some other spells
. Another auxiliar cwdt setup with whatever you want: I like cwdt - fireball-magma orb-culling strike for bossing, switching in gmp or even detonate dead while mapping :D

Finally, the self cast setup that fires all those cwdt setups is:
Flammability - faster casting - arcane surge - less duration.
I strongly suggest to avoid EVERY source of armour in the equip, beside the acuity gloves ( do not put quality on it!). Every armour you add will increase the mana requirement. If you find yourself receiving too much damage w.r.t your actual cwdt setup, lower the mana consumption by choosing other supports for the curse or lowering curse level. If you need some more self damage, increase your mana consumption by putting empower instead of less duration, or even increased duration for a 140% mana mult. I found my setup fits perfectly the armour I have: I get exactly the damage needed to fire cwdt 14 at each cast. Unfortunately, I lose this equilibrium if grouping with someone that gives me more armour. For the same reason, we cannot use granite flasks ;)

Gems setup

Self cast setup. Choose support gems in order to reach exactly the required damage.

aoe setup.

Projectile setup for big clearing.

Boss setup with firestorm and flame surge!

auxiliar setup. I put shock nova just for producing power charges with the support, and the assassin mark curse.

auxiliar setup. I like fireball and magma orb spells, and I use gmp when clearing and culling strike when bossing!

Full gear

Suggested progression

Take the helmet, a 5L martyr staff, 5L body armour, and three "%X damage gained as mana" items, starting from the Victario's Flight item. Start with cwdt 3, put curse supports and fevered minds until reaching 661 dmg (calculate the actual damage by counting the damage reduction of your armour value, AND the 10% increased incoming damage by berserker ascendancy - there is some round effect when calculating the final damage, try to receive 20-30 dmg points more than cwdt trigger value.)
Enjoy those huge visual effects and slowly grind acuity, levels, items, hp and so on. When your life and mana pool increase, add another fevered mind jewel and increase cwdt level, one by one. When you will have acuity, you can use cwdt 10 with something like 4.5k hp and the final cwdt 14 when 5.7-6.0k hp.

Bandits

I suggest Alira, as I find 15% all resistances and 20% crit mult more valuable than 2 points. We use a lot of uniques and fitting all resistances to 75% while gaining life to every piece of equip is not an easy task, so Alira is helping us, while giving a strong crit multiplier bonus.

Actual DPS

Calculating actual DPS is a major pain with all those spells and variable fire penetration. We reach a maximum of fire penetration of: 15%(Martyr staff, when blocking)+ 10% (Xoph's blood) + 45% from flammabiility = 70% on normal monsters, while firestorm enjoy 106% fire pen, and other added bonus by "conver enemies in ash" Xoph amulet mod. Obviously on bosses we will have reduced fire pen by curse boss resistance.
STILL...We estimated the actual dps being more than 1 million on bosses, by simply counting how much seconds a boss like T15 Minotaur last under our spells: few seconds! proof video will come later

Video

Example of beachead run:
Kinda slow clearing because I was afraid of dying just before levelling to 95 ;)
https://youtu.be/xtRbR7O1STY

Deathless Shaper video:
Disclaimer: this is my second attempt at Shaper in all my PoE life. I never tried it at all! The first attempt was 10 minutes before this one, ending up to a stupid death at 10% shaper life. 2nd attempt is deathless, even if I made some mistakes like you can see in the video ;)
https://youtu.be/ofRVMJ-Jbvs

Minotaur explosion video:
coming

Path of Building link

Level 96 actually:
https://pastebin.com/bebHUEZZ
with more levels you can take the missing 20% crit chance and some increased spell damage nodes.
Last edited by engharat on Nov 4, 2017, 7:55:11 PM
Last bumped on Nov 4, 2017, 6:34:10 PM
I approve of this build.
*reserved*

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info